Sign in to follow this  
mack

Squad Development 2021

And none of them won ****.

The only thing stopping Sydney winning again is an aging squad and maybe not adequately replacing Le Fondre.

We've got an average squad so far. A few good players but not enough quality to actually do much. The club so far have shown no willingness to spend more money.

The new manager should hopefully make us more competitive and bring through some kids (Tass needs to play!). We will hopefully not throw as many games away, but I struggle to see any sort of silverware with that squad.

7 minutes ago, Carns said:

The only thing stopping Sydney winning again is an aging squad and maybe not adequately replacing Le Fondre.

We've got an average squad so far. A few good players but not enough quality to actually do much. The club so far have shown no willingness to spend more money.

The new manager should hopefully make us more competitive and bring through some kids (Tass needs to play!). We will hopefully not throw as many games away, but I struggle to see any sort of silverware with that squad.

I might be completely wrong, but Robinson comes across as a guy who could possibly get players to play above their ability, get on board with his tactics and enjoy his hard arsed approach. All the time liking what is happening. If that starts to breed success, the positivity will become contagious amongst the squad.

It's a bit like how Popa approached our first season.

I agree. Our squad doesn't seem like championship winners (at this stage). But, he may just be able to get the best out of our squad. From there, anything can happen. If he can bring in a few hard arsed players that he knows from overseas, anything could happen. I mean, who'd ever heard of Polenz before he signed with us? That type of player.

I have a reserved excitement about next season (glass half full perhaps?), but what he did with Newcastle in 11 games was pretty extraordinary.

I'm hoping that my decision to auto-renew will be rewarded with a bit of hope and optimism as the season progresses.

7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I might be completely wrong, but Robinson comes across as a guy who could possibly get players to play above their ability, get on board with his tactics and enjoy his hard arsed approach. All the time liking what is happening. If that starts to breed success, the positivity will become contagious amongst the squad.

It's a bit like how Popa approached our first season.

I agree. Our squad doesn't seem like championship winners (at this stage). But, he may just be able to get the best out of our squad. From there, anything can happen. If he can bring in a few hard arsed players that he knows from overseas, anything could happen. I mean, who'd ever heard of Polenz before he signed with us? That type of player.

I have a reserved excitement about next season (glass half full perhaps?), but what he did with Newcastle in 11 games was pretty extraordinary.

I'm hoping that my decision to auto-renew will be rewarded with a bit of hope and optimism as the season progresses.

My approach to every season. Blinded by optimism, I ignore what the team is made up of.

Side note, anyone seen if they've mentioned the members pack this season? I assume it's just the standard cap to be included.

29 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/wanderers-duo-score-scholes-auditions-at-salford

"Western Sydney Wanderers products Rory Jordan and Mathieu Cordier will head this month to Paul Scholes-coached League Two glamour club Salford City for the chance to supercharge their futures."

Hardly a 'glamour club' !!

23 hours ago, mack said:

The worst defender at the club last year and he's getting made Captain lmao.

Ziegler head shoulders arms legs and anything else one would like to add for mine the worst defender in the club.

2 hours ago, Carns said:

I agree, by no means do I think the current crop will win the comp, however I think considering the departures of players from all teams they can certainly be a lot more competitive with a quality coach and have the potential to go further inside the top 6.

The youth players from all teams will bring an unknown quality to all teams and its our time to show how quality our academy talents really are.

While the club have shown no willingness to spend money on players as of right now, the press conference hinted at a few signings, Robinson at the end talked about the current squad adding in the youth as well as some "new additions". Hopefully those "new additions" pull through and can add some extra quality to the team.

Although as we have seen, Sydney were able to keep most if not all their players (bar Le Fondre on loan) and will unfortunately likely win once again. Although as we saw, Jets under Robinson were able to beat that team as well as many other top teams in the league with a poorly performing unmotivated team.

I personally don't mind if we don't win the comp this year, I just wanna see the club we all love become competitive again, make the finals (preferably top 4) and take the right steps towards winning the championship within 1-2 years.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

Surely there is nothing to this rumour? I'm guessing someone has edited us as his club on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryuji_Utomo

https://www.vocketfc.com/media-australia-sebut-ryuji-utomo-pantas-main-di-a-league-cocok-gabung-western-sydney-wanderers/

Positive news came from Australian football media, The World Game. One of the Indonesian players, Ryuji Utomo, is said to be suitable for a career in the A-League (the top caste of the Australian League).

The A-League began to be abandoned by some players after the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) agreed to reduce the salary limit from $ 3.2 million to $ 2.1 million for the 2020-2021 season.

Some of the players who have left are Josh Brilliante, Dmitri Petratos, Gary Hooper, Matt Jurman, and Joel Chianese. Other names are predicted to follow.

In the midst of these conditions, The World Game provides player recommendations to A-League clubs to recruit players with lower pay, but no less slick quality.

There are five names suggested by The World Game, one of which is Persija Jakarta defender Ryuji Utomo. The 25-year-old defender is considered to have several advantages as a defender such as being able to read the game.

In addition, Ryuji Utomo is also adept at playing the role of a defensive midfielder. The World Game also considers that the former PTT Rayong player is suitable to play for the Western Sydney Wanderers, who recently left Matt Jurman.

“This 25-year-old player has made a name for himself as a quiet center-back in Indonesia. "He impressed with his ability to control the ball and his desire to continue to improve," wrote The World Game.

“Bahrain and Thailand have played a role in its development and have shown themselves willing to test themselves abroad. Moving to Australia will be a different challenge, he would welcome it, "he continued.

Ryuji Utomo himself seems to be accepting with open arms if there is a serious offer from an Australian club. In his personal Instagram story, he gave an “amen” response to the article.

3 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Is it even a rumour if TWG asked them to name some cheap Asian players and they responded? The only reason he would be "linked" with WSW is he plays the same position as Jurman.

7 minutes ago, Carns said:

Is it even a rumour if TWG asked them to name some cheap Asian players and they responded? The only reason he would be "linked" with WSW is he plays the same position as Jurman.

I know just strange the player randomly put it on his story and that people have changed his club to Wanderers on wiki. I personally think there is absolutely nothing to it but it was just strange.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I agree. Our squad doesn't seem like championship winners (at this stage). But, he may just be able to get the best out of our squad. From there, anything can happen.

27 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I agree, by no means do I think the current crop will win the comp, however I think considering the departures of players from all teams they can certainly be a lot more competitive with a quality coach and have the potential to go further inside the top 6.

I truly hope you are both right, and know that a good manager can improve things immensely. I just see too many weak links in the team to really push for success. Yes, plenty of teams have been depleted, but we are coming off an incredibly low base and have only signed youth players. Maybe Robinson can bring in some quality, but given budget constraints and Covid I'm not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Not even a rumour, it's just TWG filling an article quota with one about random Asian players.

I conclusively agree, it was just very random and is more of a suggestion from TWG.

9 minutes ago, Carns said:

I truly hope you are both right, and know that a good manager can improve things immensely. I just see too many weak links in the team to really push for success. Yes, plenty of teams have been depleted, but we are coming off an incredibly low base and have only signed youth players. Maybe Robinson can bring in some quality, but given budget constraints and Covid I'm not holding my breath.

I obviously hope we are right as well. This season is very unpredictable so we will so what happens. Hopefully a few more decent signings and we will be alright.

35 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I know just strange the player randomly put it on his story and that people have changed his club to Wanderers on wiki. I personally think there is absolutely nothing to it but it was just strange.

It's not on his wiki anymore

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Ziegler head shoulders arms legs and anything else one would like to add for mine the worst defender in the club.

Unpopular opinion incoming but georgievski was it for me,  an amusing bit at video doesn’t overcome his lack of marking 

Edited by StringerBellend

What has happened to Kamau?  I can't see his name anywhere - let go, off-contract, sacked, re-signed... Anyone know?

Hopefully Robinson can bring Gareth Bale's talented cousin or someone good from Wales over

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Mate, we need to look anywhere for hope.

Robinson actually had a team full of weak leaks as well at Newcastle when he took over, and ended up getting that team to beat Sydney FC, Western United, Melbourne City, Perth, Adelaide and Wellington, and had draws with us and Victory and Mariners. His only loss was against the Roar. That's ******* amazing considering he walked into a basket case of a club. This is where my hope lies. The hope that is a master motivator.

11 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Mate, we need to look anywhere for hope.

Robinson actually had a team full of weak leaks as well at Newcastle when he took over, and ended up getting that team to beat Sydney FC, Western United, Melbourne City, Perth, Adelaide and Wellington, and had draws with us and Victory and Mariners. His only loss was against the Roar. That's ******* amazing considering he walked into a basket case of a club. This is where my hope lies. The hope that is a master motivator.

This, only ray of hope is that Robinson can pick up dead wood and do something with it like with the Jets, and put his own touch to it with some signings as well.

We need a tough midfielder to replace Schwegler. 

Anyone have an opinion on former Smurf Brandon O'Neill? 

He looks to have frozen out at Pohang Steelers 

51 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Would be funny cause it would trigger so many smurf scum. 

He is a decent player to be fair and he already plays in a team which wears red and black.

"In the midst of these conditions, The World Game provides player recommendations to A-League clubs to recruit players with lower pay, but no less slick quality"

in other words , try and offer them peanuts , they might come 

14 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Depends on the player I guess. Does he want to come back to the A-league in the situation its in? And if he does there are only 2 clubs he will go to and that's City or Sydney the only maybe is Macarthur FC. Lets not lie to ourselves its been a massive exodus of players due to the low wages that are incoming league wide.

I have no qualms about O'neil he is almost Carl Valerie like. However he wasn't doing too bad at Pohang at the beginning of the season but I haven't watched enough K-league recently to know what is happening.

15 hours ago, Paul01 said:

We had that in Sullivan, who was also one of the only other midfielders to have any sort of physical presence about him. Instead we have a midfield that once again is being held by two skinny midgets...

Re Kamau: I’m hoping we aren’t hearing anything about him cause he’s gone. He’s another one who’s built of glass and not big/strong enough to compete when the going gets tough.

George Timotheou spotted training with the club today