Squad Development 2021

5 minutes ago, papersun said:

Playing a friendly tonight against Adelaide apparently, hope some of the senior guys missing haven't got long term injuries.

Haven't seen Georgevski play or train for a bit. Wonder if O'Doherty is still injured from the Mariners game. Where's Kamau and Lopar?

Guessing Muller and Cox up top with Grozos at AM.

7 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Haven't seen Georgevski play or train for a bit. Wonder if O'Doherty is still injured from the Mariners game. Where's Kamau and Lopar?

Guessing Muller and Cox up top with Grozos at AM.

Georgievski played against the Mariners

8 minutes ago, sonar said:

Still need a striker from the looks of it.......

we lose 0-2

Hmmmmmmmm..............The post match presser by CR will be interesting.

Edited by sonar

It’s early days but given our squad I’m not sure what anyone is expecting this season 

we lost our 2 best players in schwegler and duke thank god Lopar came back or would be 3 

we still have cox up front who is fat and slow 

Ziegler who is old and slow 

Baccus in the middle who is slow between the ears 

i fully expect another **** year 

I watched the game.... 2-0 was a fair scoreline.  Adelaide looked much better organised and probably had 60% of possession.

Cox always looks 5 kg over weight but I was surprised to see how much fat muller was carrying.

Adelaide's last goal was a free kick that Lopar would have stopped (Margush assumed it would be crossed for oncoming players but Kon.... went direct for goal).

8 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Rather lose in pre-season, CR figure out what can be done who real games

Nahhhh, you want to build some confidence and momentum..you want to see an improvement each pre season game...that's ideal.

My expectations for this season are very low. To be honest I am just looking forward to going back to see some live football with my son, anything else good will be a nice surprise / bonus with this club.

17 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

It’s early days but given our squad I’m not sure what anyone is expecting this season 

we lost our 2 best players in schwegler and duke thank god Lopar came back or would be 3 

we still have cox up front who is fat and slow 

Ziegler who is old and slow 

Baccus in the middle who is slow between the ears 

i fully expect another **** year 

I shouldn't have laughed at your very succinct summation, I guess....but I did.

Not sure that the smile will be there half way through the season, though, if your prediction turns out to be accurate. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Nahhhh, you want to build some confidence and momentum..you want to see an improvement each pre season game...that's ideal.

My expectations for this season are very low. To be honest I am just looking forward to going back to see some live football with my son, anything else good will be a nice surprise / bonus with this club.

That'll be me too.

I think a balance between confidence and knowing what to fix is required.

If the team has some injuries as well playing after double sessions, the loss is not a disaster 

1 hour ago, JustWandering said:

Three friendlies. No sighting of Lopar, Mo Adam, or Yeboah, and just a cameo from Kamau after fulltime v Mariners. Yet massive circulation of the squad through the three games. Are these guys injured, on the outer, or has Robinson just got too many maybes in the squad that he wants to look at?

Just a thought, and I dont agree with it, but could CR not be playing Lopar with the intention of releasing him to open up a foreign spot?

We had Okada from Wollongong wolves trialling with us. I mean, why trial him when we have no foreign spots left.

2 hours ago, Frankos187 said:

Just a thought, and I dont agree with it, but could CR not be playing Lopar with the intention of releasing him to open up a foreign spot?

We had Okada from Wollongong wolves trialling with us. I mean, why trial him when we have no foreign spots left.

Putting lopar on the block would be one of the dumbest managerial moves in the clubs history. The guy has single handedly saved us from looking as bad as weve been.

Pretty underwhelming squad movements isnt it..

Basically 

Out: Pirim, Jurman, Duke

In: Dorrans a couple of kids

So a qua that couldn't make the finals, is probably weaker, unless Dorrans turns out to be a combination of Dominc Calvert-Lewin, Allan and James Roderiguez but all in one player, it doesn't look that promising does it?

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Basically 

So a qua that couldn't make the finals, is probably weaker, unless Dorrans turns out to be a combination of Dominc Calvert-Lewin, Allan and James Roderiguez but all in one player, it doesn't look that promising does it?

No..not promising at all...

But then mediocrity is ingrained in this club.

Edited by Smoggy

I'm not too upset about fewer player movements as one of the things that irked me was the wholesale changes made every season.......the last few seasons anyway. A bit of stability is refreshing.

Having not seen us play it's hard to judge whether there is a method to the gaffers madness in playing the youth in the trial games or he's just winging it. The comp starts in a little over two weeks and it seems on the trial results we may struggle again.

If we're going to have BCD trial games then I wish the club would post a video of the full game(s) afterwards so the fans get a look.

This season is going to prove that stability and "developing youth" doesn't mean anything if the youth you're developing are mediocre and the squad that you've kept stable is still bad.

If Robinson keeps us playing stupid formations that our players haven't grown up in (ie, more 5 at the back with a congested central area in attack) we won't finish in the top half, and I suspect our luck vs the smurfs from last season will run out.

From day one when CR arrived the mantra has been youth, get used to it folks the young 'uns are going to be involved heavily this season it seems.

I'm a bit perturbed that Lopar has not had game time yet though, is he injured?

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Basically 

No, it doesn't, not at the moment.

At the same time: currently there are three, perhaps four senior players missing, Robinson and Miller said as much.

There is nothing much on the market right now. Chances are we will have to wait until January, and see the first two, three rounds out with what we've currently got. That's what I am hearing anyway.

Jackson Irvine is about the only Australian player off contract who would actually improve the squad in a significant manner. He hasn't played a game in 6 months though, plus he's probably hoping not to have to come back to Australia.

Out of the others you might think about bringing back Vidosic and maybe pick up Eli Babalj as a bench striker even though he's done nothing of note since his one good A-League season in 2011/12.

Anyone else off contract would be the same journeyman plodders who have failed us in the last 5 years.