Squad Development 2021

41 minutes ago, FCB said:

No, it doesn't, not at the moment.

At the same time: currently there are three, perhaps four senior players missing, Robinson and Miller said as much.

There is nothing much on the market right now. Chances are we will have to wait until January, and see the first two, three rounds out with what we've currently got. That's what I am hearing anyway.

Yep not much about is there, word is Antonis is on his way out in Korea, he'd be a great pickup, maybe in Jan. 

Hopefully I'm wrong but signing up Cox and commiting into this year looks like a mistake, and we need to get much more out of Ziegler than we are

18 minutes ago, Carns said:

Unfortunately, he was probably past it when he left us. Time has caught up with him. Squaddie on minimum wage for experience to teach the kids maybe, but nothing more than a bit part role.

He was past it when he rejoined us let alone left 

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

This is why I do actually feel more optimistic and excited about the season than is probably sensible.

I hope he can manage the same for us?  :pardon:

This is also why I feel excited about this season as well. The fact that when Robbo was appointed to manage the Jets, they were 11th (last) and they finished their season at 8th is impressive. it makes you wonder if he was appointed at an earlier stage in the season, would they have got a spot in the finals?. Plus, the Jets arguably had an average squad as well.

43 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Didn't we have a preseason where we went unbeaten and still didn't make finals?

I don't think so...unless you're thinking of 2014?

2012 pre-season: 6 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss (played 10 games) | Finished 1st in regular season
2013 pre-season: 5 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses (played 9 games) | Finished 2nd in regular season
2014 pre-season: 4 wins, 1 loss (played 5 games) | Finished 9th in regular season
2015 pre-season: 3 wins, 2 losses (played 5 games) | Finished 2nd in regular season
2016 pre-season: 4 wins, 1 loss (played 5 games) | Finished 6th in regular season
2017 pre-season: 6 wins, 2 losses (played 7 games) | Finished 7th in regular season
2018 pre-season: 3 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses (played 7 games) | Finished 8th in regular season
2019 pre-season: 2 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses (played 8 games) | Finished 9th in regular season
Current pre-season: 2 wins, 2 losses (played 4 games) | TBD 

3 hours ago, WHACKO said:

I would sign him up. 

Currently, Wilmering is "technically" the only left back in the squad. Obviously, you would have Georgievski be 2nd choice if the likes of Russell or Kamau play as the right back since Georgievski is ideal in that position, I'm not sure if Carluccio can play at left back as well and I know the lad that recently got a scholarship Mark Natta can play as a right back but not so sure about the left (his primary position is centre back). 

So having Murnane could help. and he also play as a left winger which is a bit of a bonus.

Edited by MathyouWSW
43 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

This is also why I feel excited about this season as well. The fact that when Robbo was appointed to manage the Jets, they were 11th (last) and they finished their season at 8th is impressive. it makes you wonder if he was appointed at an earlier stage in the season, would they have got a spot in the finals?. Plus, the Jets arguably had an average squad as well.

2012 pre-season: 6 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss (played 10 games) | Finished 1st in regular season
2013 pre-season: 5 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses (played 9 games) | Finished 2nd in regular season
2014 pre-season: 4 wins, 1 loss (played 5 games) | Finished 9th in regular season
2015 pre-season: 3 wins, 2 losses (played 5 games) | Finished 2nd in regular season
2016 pre-season: 4 wins, 1 loss (played 5 games) | Finished 6th in regular season
2017 pre-season: 6 wins, 2 losses (played 7 games) | Finished 7th in regular season
2018 pre-season: 3 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses (played 7 games) | Finished 8th in regular season
2019 pre-season: 2 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses (played 8 games) | Finished 9th in regular season

I would sign him up. 

Currently, Wilmering is "technically" the only left back in the squad. Obviously, you would have Georgievski be 2nd choice if the likes of Russell or Kamau play as the right back since Georgievski is ideal in that position, I'm not sure if Carluccio can play at left back as well and I know the lad that recently got a scholarship Mark Natta can play as a right back but not so sure about the left (his primary position is centre back). 

So having Murnane could help. and he also play as a left winger which is a bit of a bonus.

Murnane hasn't had a club since the start of the year by the looks of it, don't know why no-one has picked him up yet? 

Regarding Robbo, i'm exciting to see what he can do with what we currently have although im not expecting much, we definitely haven't got all our foreigners right and we need 2-3 quality Aussies to contend, and our youngsters seem a bit overrated I think. We could start by signing Terry Antonis in January (if he isn't injured which is what some people have said).

I was impressed with Robinson in his interview of his philosophy etc. with Adam Peacock on the Fox pod before last season's resumption. And he did well with the Jets. But it was 11 games. Not really long enough to pass judgement, IMO. My expectations will remain low as we don't have the cattle to challenge. Happy to be proven wrong.

3 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

It was 2017 I was thinking of where we had a 12 game unbeaten streak before losing to Melb City with an under strength side right at the end.

12 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss

Wanderers v Blacktown City 2-0
Wanderers v Olyroos 2-2
Wanderers v Sydney United 4-1
Wanderers v Wellington Phoenix 1-0 (FFA Cup)
Edgeworth Eagles v Wanderers 0-4
Wanderers v Brisbane Roar 4-0
Wanderers v Bankstown Berries 2-0
Bentleigh Greens v Wanderers 0-4 (FFA Cup)
Brisbane City v Wanderers 1-3
Moreton Bay v Wanderers 0-2
Wanderers vs St George 5-0
Blacktown City v Wanderers 2-2 (2-4 penalties) (FFA Cup)
Melbourne City v Wanderers 1-0
Wanderers vs APIA 3-0

Edited by wswnick
Missed the last game against APIA
14 hours ago, TwoLeftFoots said:

Jets squad was a bit rubbish and robbo got them going great. Was good to watch them.

0 expectations. Well I lie, I'd like to see improvement, 7th would be nice. 😭😭😭

Jets squad weren't that bad and were still considered to be under performing before he came. With us it, will be a case of over performing if he achieves anything with the squad we have.

Every other club in the league seems to have made some decent signings and look better on paper at least, with SFC, Victory and Glory, already battle hardened and ready thanks to the ACL. 

3 hours ago, Zakman said:

Jets squad weren't that bad and were still considered to be under performing before he came. With us it, will be a case of over performing if he achieves anything with the squad we have.

Every other club in the league seems to have made some decent signings and look better on paper at least, with SFC, Victory and Glory, already battle hardened and ready thanks to the ACL. 

The Jets squad was pretty crap, no better that what we have.. Although we have developed a habit of making Jason Hoffman look like Ronaldo.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Prefer Antonis but i'd take Troisi if we can sign another quality Aussie, preferably in defence.

Good to see we are looking to add experience, creativity, quality and depth to our squad. 

10 minutes ago, Davo said:

Given how the last few seasons have gone it's probably better for recruiting if we don't let prospective players talk to anyone at the club.

True, although Troisi isn't even that good to start with I reckon compared to what we thought Meier would be.

Would try signing Murnane if he is still up to play, got released at the start of this year and has vanished off the face of the earth.

Jason Geria can be signed in January as well, think he would be a good pickup as well. 

Feel like our defence is really weak this season, even worse than last.

Probably need to sign one more quality defender and get rid of Ziegler unless he has citizenship, he is a waste of space.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Yes, these 3 teams look  ready to rock and roll in the A League  fully match fit, used to playing in the heat in the middle east, glad we are not playing SFC in a derby round 1..however The Bulls look ok on Paper too..TBH  not expecting too much again this year really hope I am wrong. Another season as the biggest mid to lower table club in the A League, third best team in Sydney etc etc etc ..???

29 minutes ago, jockman said:

Yes, these 3 teams look  ready to rock and roll in the A League  fully match fit, used to playing in the heat in the middle east, glad we are not playing SFC in a derby round 1..however The Bulls look ok on Paper too..TBH  not expecting too much again this year really hope I am wrong. Another season as the biggest mid to lower table club in the A League, third best team in Sydney etc etc etc ..???

They played in air conditioned stadiums

• mack unpinned and locked this topic