Squad Development 2021

Ibini is Australian , better can only come from overseas and we don't have a foreign spot Ibini at his best with his strength will destroy defences , and he was not fit until late in the last season.

And I agree I think we need another strong defensive mdifielder and another strong centre back (Tass maybe the man though), but we should remember Robbo and Millers' success at the jets was the attack , the pressure they applied to defenses was great and with a team fit as a fiddle that style of play can and does ease pressure on defences 

6 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Ibini at his best with his strength will destroy defences , and he was not fit until late in the last season.

Everyone that plays against us will destroy defences. It's when they play for us that concerns me (eg. Kamau).

3 hours ago, JustWandering said:

Expecting to see the new transfer system  rules  released very shortly (although, every deadline seems to be extended these days). I wonder whether this will pave the way for a move for Ibini that is mutually beneficial for the Wanderers and Jets?

The Jets were on the brink of being suspended for the season by the FFA. When the independence deal comes through they will be taken over by the collective club owners, who will tell anyone they can leave to save cash.

We have gone full on stupidity. Lopar was the reason we weren't thrashed in a lot of games last season. First derby come to mind.FMD ! We're stuck with effing Vedran.

PS.....I can think of only one reason.......they want the visas spot for someone  else.

Edited by sonar
1 minute ago, sonar said:

We have gone full on stupidity. Lopar was the reason we weren't thrashed in a lot of games last season. FMD ! We're stuck with effing Vedran.

Margush more than likely, but will we ever be told what the  reason is?

WTF???

I'm really starting to regret pouring even more money into this club over the past few months. 2 memberships, 2 new 20/21 home strips. It's a lot of money, and knowing Lopar was coming back was one of the encouraging reasons why I did.

Why did he come back, quarantine, train and not play any trials, and then leave? Seems strange.

And today I receive an email encouraging me to bring in more members.

I'm getting close to the "they can go and get ****ed" attitude tbh. They really are so far removed from what it feels like to be a football fan, a suffering one at that, it isn't funny.

3 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Well that is the best three standout players from last season gone, going by that logically we should get shafted this year.

if ever we needed a messiah moment it's right now

Christmas is in 2 weeks - maybe there is hope ...

The cynic in me is thinking that when Lopar refused to take a pay cut and didn't come back for the seasons end the club has decided to get petty and had him in their sights and gave him the "Popa" treatment when he returned.  

What a shambles.

12 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Well that is the best three standout players from last season gone, going by that logically we should get shafted this year.

if ever we needed a messiah moment it's right now

Duke gone and replaced by nobody. Schwegler gone and replaced by a Scottish bloke with the rona. Lopar gone and replaced by Margush?

I remember paying significantly less than I am now and watching Ono, Mooy and Covic in those positions. Wouldn't bother me as much if the rest of the league were building cut price squads because of the reduced broadcast deal etc. but the big clubs have squads comparable with last season, while the "big" clubs have the wish.com version.

Edited by Davo

I'm guttered that Lopar decided to leave the club. Especially when the squad's first game is in 16 days time.

On the plus side, this opens up the door for another visa player to join the club so it'll be interested to see if Robbo has someone planned to join the club.

1 minute ago, MathyouWSW said:

I'm guttered that Lopar decided to leave the club. Especially when the squad's first game is in 16 days time.

On the plus side, this opens up the door for another visa player to join the club so it'll be interested to see if Robbo has someone planned to join the club.

It's barely a plus side, I don't trust our keeper at all. There were far less deserving foreign players in our squad

Hard to be glass half full in these situations but I can only hope the club have done this with a plan. 

Whether thats to sign a quality foreign defender or attacker I don't know but you would hope they have something in place to improve the squad. Maybe we are actually signing Kendall Waston like I said a while back.

Jack Duncan was trialling with the Jets and hasn't officially signed to my knowledge, we should through money his way as i'm not so sure Margush is cut out to be starting keeper.

One thing for sure is that Lopar is a big loss and needs to be replaced ASAP. I personally would've preferred Ziegler to go but its happened now so no point complaining.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
6 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Hard to be glass half full in these situations but I can only hope the club have done this with a plan. 

Whether thats to sign a quality foreign defender or attacker I don't know but you would hope they have something in place to improve the squad. Maybe we are actually signing Kendall Waston like I said a while back.

Jack Duncan was trialling with the Jets and hasn't officially signed to my knowledge, we should through money his way as i'm not so sure Margush is cut out to be starting keeper.

One thing for sure is that Lopar is a big loss and needs to be replaced ASAP. I personally would've preferred Ziegler to go but its happened now so no point complaining.

Oh yeah this is a hard one for me to take. I've been annoyed at the pessimistic comments here for a bit, but now I've tipped. 

I'm really, really trying hard to be a "glass half full" kinda guy (it's my nature), and I hope CR has a replacement in mind that will give us some hope. But geez, it's common knowledge that Lopar saved our arse so many times last season. A goal saved is a goal scored.

I think I'll wear my Season 1 strip to the opening game against Macarthur as a good luck charm. If they beat us, I'll come home, put on the 20/21 strip and hope the Voltarin does it's job. That's if the club can be bothered delivering it in time.

Our defence was largely inept last year with the exception of Lopar. He kept us respectable (scoreline wise) and now he's gone.

Defence was an area that badly needed strengthening yet there was nothing happening and now substantially weakened with this news.

2 weeks to go...despair beginning to set in. Robinson and crew will need some big rabbits to pull out of the hat I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Our defence was largely inept last year with the exception of Lopar. He kept us respectable (scoreline wise) and now he's gone.

Defence was an area that badly needed strengthening yet there was nothing happening and now substantially weakened with this news.

2 weeks to go...despair beginning to set in. Robinson and crew will need some big rabbits to pull out of the hat I'm afraid.

or pigs with wings..?  :ninja:

:D

Edited by sonar
9 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Will reserve judgement till I see which (if any) foreigner is lined up to replace him. 

Lopar was magnificent. But keeper is not ideally where you want to tie up a foreign spot.

Actually, no, I'll judge now

From a marketing perspective its important to stay 'on brand' and have a consistent message.. 

If the message is ' we identify our best talent then let them leave for free' then I feel the club is incredibly consistent.  Duke-Schweg-Jurman-Lopar.

Lucky they didn't sell Baccus for a large fee last year as he is the next obvious freebie to continue the  message