mack

Squad Development 2021

57 minutes ago, DCWSW said:

George Timotheou spotted training with the club today

Pretty sure he is a tall left footed centre back. He would be a replacement for Jurman albeit less experienced.

Are the club hell bent on just making sure Tass never gets a first team spot or something? I don’t get it...

Keeper  

Lopar (F)

Right Back                                                    Centre Back                                               Centre Back                                         Left Back

Georgievski / Russel                                          Ziegler (F) / Tass                                              McGowan                                              ???

Right MF                                                             Centre MF                                                    Left MF

???                                                                Baccus / O'Doherty                                                ???

Right Wing                                                                               Centre Forward                                                            Left Wing

Muller (F)                                                                                         Cox (F)                                                                   Yeboah

Is this basically how we are looking?

2 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Keeper  

Lopar (F)

Right Back                                                    Centre Back                                               Centre Back                                         Left Back

Georgievski / Russel                                          Ziegler (F) / Tass                                              McGowan                                              ???

Right MF                                                             Centre MF                                                    Left MF

???                                                                Baccus / O'Doherty                                                ???

Right Wing                                                                               Centre Forward                                                            Left Wing

Muller (F)                                                                                         Cox (F)                                                                   Yeboah

Is this basically how we are looking?

George Timotheou likely to be added soon.

Looks like Robinson is thinking of strengthening the spine of the team: https://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/6974895/wanderers-coach-embraces-big-club-approach/?cs=11836

Muller is historically an inverted left winger so you could swap around him and Yeboah.

We'd have Georgievski at left back with the current squad. Wilmering would be a 2nd choice LB if he recovers from his ACL in time for the season to start.

O'Doherty is who we'd play as a defensive mid right now.

Why the assumption that it will 4 at the back. 
Last game Robinson coached at Newy they had 3 at the back. 
Add to that we are looking for additional centre backs......

I personally hope we go with a 433, but I have missed an interview or something to suggest it will be 433?

38 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Why the assumption that it will 4 at the back. 
Last game Robinson coached at Newy they had 3 at the back. 
Add to that we are looking for additional centre backs......

I personally hope we go with a 433, but I have missed an interview or something to suggest it will be 433?

......................Lopar

....McGowan.....Tass........timotheau 

Russell.................................Georgievski 

....................Baccus.....?

Yeboah...........Cox.............Muller

Need a steely DM to replace Schwegler and an AM to link the DMs with front. Yeboah to the bench if we find one other than Grozos 

Yeah I've had enough of 3 at the back. Just wasn;t sure if the 4 at the back talk was due to something Carl said as his Newy team played a back 3.

Depends on who those 3 are....last season we mainly had:

Jurman (couldn't be arsed)

McGowan (accident waiting to happen)

Zeigler (slow as a wet weekend)

15 hours ago, mack said:

Haven't we had enough of the 3 at the back? It didn't work with Popa, it didn't work with Babbel, it didn't work with JP.

No we should stick with it, as we need consistency it should be Hammil, Borda and McGowan 

Anyhow part of our problem with the three Is you need wing backs that can both defend and attack

Edited by StringerBellend

In the words of Mike Bassett: 4 - 4 - ******* 2!

In truth I think we should probably play either 4-2-3-1 or another variety of 4-3-3. But Robinson will figure that out based on the cattle available. We don't have the talent to play 3 at the back and either get exposed too often or sit too defensive and lose the midfield.

George would be a great signing. Get it done peeps! 3 year contract so we can sell him back to europe when ready. And ditch ziegler....

Regarding formation. Carl does seem to tweak things to suit the squad he gets. So just because he played 3 at the back at newcastle does not mean it will happen here. Although I would not rule it out. However as is evident we simply dont have good enough wing backs currently. 

10 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Think Daniel G might show improved form in a flat back 4. Less need to go charging up the field allows him to concentrate on defence.

Yeah he kept running out of gas at the end of games and that led to him being caught up the field too often leaving gaps at the back. A back four where he can provide overlapping runs as required but isn't the sole source of width on one side may suit him more. 

Will we play any pre-season trials or practice games. ?

That will tell or give a few signs of what to expect.

52 minutes ago, sonar said:

Will we play any pre-season trials or practice games. ?

That will tell or give a few signs of what to expect.

We will need a solid pre-season fixture list to get match fit.... and no FFA cup this time...

Would expect some behind closed doors and open to public pre seasons soon....

At least with rain about for the foreseeable (la nina event season) pitches won't be too hard this season.

Edited by Smoggy

I expect all preseason games will be behind closed doors as they have been he last 3 years.

Usually rely on @Taurus to share his wisdom

7 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

I expect all preseason games will be behind closed doors as they have been he last 3 years.

Usually rely on @Taurus to share his wisdom

With no FFA cup was hoping for a few open to limited numbers. 

It's a 2 month preseason. You'd think there would be a few practice matches.

Unlike some euro leagues that went straight into the comp.

On 19/10/2020 at 2:59 PM, Keithie said:

If George is better than Tass so be it, best player get gets the game. 

Tass is a better option than McGowan and Zeigler though

I cannot disagree with that Martin but a new season new coach ,  I do hope Tass can go to another level this coming season and hold a first team spot  

2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Tass is a better option than McGowan and Zeigler though

I do remember that Ziegler can play at CDM (although its not seen how well). Maybe he will start there instead.

I've also heard that Tass thinks he is a CDM but is best at CB. Bit strange but thats what i've heard from a few players.

Sullivan looks to be signing for Perth Glory, and Kamau is currently training in Adelaide.

Edited by wswnick

45 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Sullivan looks to be signing for Perth Glory, and Kamau is currently training in Adelaide.

Re Kamau, wasn't sure if the tweet  meant he was training with Adelaide or the player.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST