Squad Development 2021

7 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Does ziggy count as a foreign signing? 

If so, what a waste! 

He does, and it seems like a bit of a waste. 

Played in a tragic Mariners team, however he was voted Fans POTY and is regarded as one of their better players.

Definitely could’ve signed a better foreigner, however he has a full pre-season under his belt and seems ready to go, rather than waiting half a season for a new foreigner to be ready.

2 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Played in a tragic Mariners team, however he was voted Fans POTY and is regarded as one of their better players.

Definitely could’ve signed a better foreigner, however he has a full pre-season under his belt and seems ready to go, rather than waiting half a season for a new foreigner to be ready.

That's what I'm thinking. Ziegler got us a visa spot we maybe weren't expecting for this season and rather than start looking for a visa fullback + quarantine time we've opted to get someone who is ready to go.

5 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

He's a known quantity, which is important right now.

We know he can play RB but he's a true defender, not really a run all day up and down the wing kind of guy. He's far more of a true defender, didnt make many mistakes, if any big ones that I saw. He can play adequately in a 3ATB as a RCB. He's pretty decent in the air. No real injury history. He knows what to expect from our league and has proven he can do 90m in the heat.

Yes, theres definitely better foreigners out there. But why go for an Aguilar when you risk getting a Borda when all you need is someone who can stop stupid mistakes

Just now, hughsey said:

The theme of this years recruitment has been stealing. Great to see the club returning to its Westie roots.

Its quite funny actually.

Ive seen Adelaide United fans highly rate Troisi and then try and push that he is a terrible player cause they’re salty he left.

Same with Ibini, just salty they lost a player who is key to them, so they now try and convince us his bad.

2 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

He's a known quantity, which is important right now.

We know he can play RB but he's a true defender, not really a run all day up and down the wing kind of guy. He's far more of a true defender, didnt make many mistakes, if any big ones that I saw. He can play adequately in a 3ATB as a RCB. He's pretty decent in the air. No real injury history. He knows what to expect from our league and has proven he can do 90m in the heat.

Yes, theres definitely better foreigners out there. But why go for an Aguilar when you risk getting a Borda when all you need is someone who can stop stupid mistakes

Fair play, I share similar thoughts.

You seem to know a lot more about him then I do 👍

11 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Fair play, I share similar thoughts.

You seem to know a lot more about him then I do 👍

I watched a fair bit of mariners last season because they were more interesting to watch than babbel ball

25 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Maybe, but there is the minor technicality of the salary cap.

Also: in S1 the club could have signed better foreigners than La Rocca, Poljak, Hersi, Polenz, Kresinger. But they worked hard, and that's what mattered in the end.

If Gordon turns out to be the defender version of Kresinger then I won't be complaining.

1 minute ago, Midfielder said:

Any truth to the rumour of a change of name for the club.

Name change to "Western Sydney Poachers " Carl Robinson, Ziggy Gordon, James Troisi, Bernie Ibini... most in the last week...

We all know that the Mariners have been the Central Coast Raiders (of Western Sydney) for years.

Heck they even had, till the next NPL season, the North Shore Mariners stealing players from Western Sydney NPL teams. Now Northbridge FC have terminate their arrangement to be an offshoot of the Sea-bogans. :flag: