Squad Development 2021

3 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Robinson specifically said he's looking at a GK to replace Lopar on the podcast. Also mentioned he was close to signing 2 players that ended up going to other A-League clubs but wouldn't name who they were.

Interesting, I was going to listen to the podcast but haven't gotten to it. 

I reckon one of the players could've been Jack Duncan.

Slightly confused he is looking for a first team GK after showing full faith that Margush could hold his own.

Expecting a signing in the coming days, considering the information we have heard from Ray Gatt.

1 minute ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Interesting, I was going to listen to the podcast but haven't gotten to it. 

I reckon one of the players could've been Jack Duncan.

Slightly confused he is looking for a first team GK after showing full faith that Margush could hold his own.

Expecting a signing in the coming days, considering the information we have heard from Ray Gatt.

He said he believes Margush could be #1 but he lacks experience (but there's only one way to fix that), but said he is trying to get the best keeper that is available to him whether it ends up being a #1 or #2 keeper

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

He said he believes Margush could be #1 but he lacks experience (but there's only one way to fix that), but said he is trying to get the best keeper that is available to him whether it ends up being a #1 or #2 keeper

Reading rumours that the potential signing will be poached from another club. 

Obviously Ugarkovic has a press conference tomorrow so that will be interesting.

If we are going to poach another teams goalkeeper, Birighitti seems like a very good local option.

Also noticed Jason Davidson's contract finishes with Ulsan Hyundai this season and hasn't been apart of their squad for a while. Also signed to the same agency as Carl Robinson, think he would be a very good option as a wingback, considering how he played as one under Popa.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
19 hours ago, apvz said:

So looks like Ugarkovic is out of the question for now

Ziggy said he was committed to the Mariners just over a month before joining us. I put almost no weight behind these things. However it is a little more damning that a presser was held just for this

19 hours ago, apvz said:

So looks like Ugarkovic is out of the question for now

He's 26 and Robinsons is here for 3 seasons. As things stand he ( Ugarkovic ) can sign a new contract in Jan for another club. I wouldn't rule him out for next season.

Ok, looks like McGowan got the captaincy gig. Hopefully he steps up to another level. 

Personally, I think it was a good appointment. I reckon he'll surprise a few people (or at least I hope).

1 minute ago, GE942150 said:

Seems very suss to me. All 3 have the same reason for leaving and all leave at the same time just before the first game? 

They've either gotten offers at other clubs or Robbo doesn't rate them and is happy to move them on early. 

Robbo doesn’t rate them. They’ve given them a way to save face while being told they’re unwanted I’d say

Tbh I would wait and see if they sign for other clubs........then call bs.....otherwise give them and club the benefit of doubt.

(I would rather we lose Grozos than Adam)

Edited by sonar

The club summarised it as the same reasons in the tweet but the quotes in the article all have slightly different reasons.

Pagden thanked the club and will take some time to focus on his studies, majoring in property economics.

“Following a number of conversations with the club I have decided to step away from football for a while and focus on my studies,” said Pagden.

Adam said he looked forward to watching this season as a fan and focusing on his bachelor of commerce degree.

I made the decision to take some time off to help out with the family at home and focus on my studies,” said Adam.

“I’ll always keep the door open to return to the club one day and I’ll be watching on again as a fan this season.”

Monge made no reference to leaving due to family/study reasons so we could see him pop up somewhere else, or he didn't feel comfortable with the reason being shared.

Should have read:

We have today confirmed the departures of Mo Adam, Fabian Monge and Noah Pagden. The players have had their contracts terminated following their inability to consistently put the round ball in the back of the squarish net after hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment: http://

The "study and family" bit is bullshit, these three were a Young Socceroos captain, one of our leading scorers at the NPL & Youth level and the 2019 NYL Player of the Year (for the whole competition, not just WSW).

The club wanted to release them, it has nothing to do with the players wanting to "study" or "spend time with their family". Feels more insulting to me effectively putting words in their mouth than just saying "we've released the following three players, we thank them for their effort at the club."

Mo Adam was a bit of a hit and miss which is unfortunate. If he had the motivation, he could of been a future superstar for sure and would of easily been getting some offers overseas. However, I think it was quite obvious his time was up when he didn't feature in any of the pre-season matches (despite the fact he was very focus on being the ambassador for the NSW African Cup). 

Monge is a bit of surprised to me, he was named the NYL Footballer of the year a few years ago so I thought he could be a future player for the Wanderers and he really never got an opportunity at the senior squad in the first place. I had potential on him and it'll be interesting to see where he'll go from here. 

Pagden was another unfortunate player that just never got the opportunity as well.

Adam and Monge originally stated at Marconi Stallions so it'll be interesting to see if they try and get signed at some NPL club. 

I would be really disappointed if any of them go to Macarthur FC.

7 minutes ago, mack said:

The "study and family" bit is bullshit, these three were a Young Socceroos captain, one of our leading scorers at the NPL & Youth level and the 2019 NYL Player of the Year (for the whole competition, not just WSW).

The club wanted to release them, it has nothing to do with the players wanting to "study" or "spend time with their family". Feels more insulting to me effectively putting words in their mouth than just saying "we've released the following three players, we thank them for their effort at the club."

I tend to agree....maybe someone should ask Robbo his thoughts given that he's seen as a straight shooter

The "family commitments" wouldn't ring true unless they're married with kids, or caring for sick or elderly relatives...surely.

If they're undertaking Uni studies.....well....that might be more profitable for them in the long term than football, if they're not breaking in at an elite level now.

2 hours ago, JustWandering said:

The club often announces a departure a couple of days prior to announcing a new signing. Hopefully that's the case this time and we get some good news shortly.

Maybe they were interested in Max Burgess. I hear he's unhappy at Western Utd.

4 minutes ago, Jefski said:

Maybe they were interested in Max Burgess. I hear he's unhappy at Western Utd.

No chance I think, Rudan is letting him back into the playing group and wants him in the team. Apparently Burgess is ready to come back to WU now and is just awaiting the boarder to re-open.

2 hours ago, JustWandering said:

The club often announces a departure a couple of days prior to announcing a new signing. Hopefully that's the case this time and we get some good news shortly.

Amini? or even Ugarkovic :acute:

1 minute ago, Keithie said:

Attitude , Girls, parties and cars it is the main reason quality kids don't go on with it , let them go play with Marconi for a few years see if they mature.

Hopefully Amini :)   

Only issue is Amini is injured so he will likely be a long term option I think.

Dunno if he is Injured, it has been very quiet since he arrived home and in quarantine in Melbourne anybody know when the 2 weeks is up. 

Can he travel to Sydney when the quarantine is up