Squad Development 2021

1 hour ago, sonar said:

I wanted to add that professional football contracts are basically employment contracts. Unless you have no other employment options because of a limited skill range then if a company you are employed by goes into admin you are free to look elsewhere.

I think that there needs to be some limits or guidelines though, otherwise you could see half the Jet's squad leave en masse now, which would make them completely uncompetitive this season and may make harder to attract viable new owners.

Question for clarification: is it the 3 clubs (WU, SFC, WSW) or the owners of those clubs who have taken over the licence?

If it is the club owners (not club) this would be a new and separate entity (temporary). Presumably the Jets staff would still manage the club under directions from this new entity who are financing everything.

CR and JT etc would be separate from all of that and,case pointed out, players will sign new contracts or leave if their own free will.  I wouldn't think those backing the interim entity would have much engagement in that side of things.

1 hour ago, WHACKO said:

Why is it that it is only these three clubs involved with the Jets, what about the other clubs ?

I'd assume most other clubs either can't afford it (CCM) or aren't willing to contribute (e.g. Tony Sage can be reluctant to fund his own team, let alone others. Brisbane's owners aren't willing to spend either). No idea re: City or Victory though.

53 minutes ago, papersun said:

I think that there needs to be some limits or guidelines though, otherwise you could see half the Jet's squad leave en masse now, which would make them completely uncompetitive this season and may make harder to attract viable new owners.

They also need to have other clubs willing to sign them, with cap space and spots available. Could always fill the squad with kids/NPL players anyway. There is no relegation to worry about.

1 minute ago, Carns said:

I'd assume most other clubs either can't afford it (CCM) or aren't willing to contribute (e.g. Tony Sage can be reluctant to fund his own team, let alone others. Brisbane's owners aren't willing to spend either).

They also need to have other clubs willing to sign them, with cap space and spots available. Could always fill the squad with kids/NPL players anyway. There is no relegation to worry about.

A squad with an extremely low wage bill and plenty of cap space in a non-relegation league is probably not the worst sales pitch for investors. Rather start from scratch than inherit and old, over-paid and disgruntled playing group 

6 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Place your bets

25/1 - Jackson Irvine
20/1 - Andy Rose
500/1 - Jack Wilshere
100/1 - Shinji Kagawa
2/1 - someone we never heard of who once fetched Messi's water bottle for him at La Masia when he was 9

We've been linked with kagawa in the past, aus is doing better covid than most, and there has been a few Japanese players come in.

I'd have to sit down by myself for a while if its kagawa

Edited by TwoLeftFoots
Typo
Just now, TwoLeftFoots said:

We've been linked with kagawa in the past, aus us doing better covid than most, and there has been a few Japanese players come in.

I'd have to sit down by myself for a while if its kagawa

Kagawa would be great. But with Troisi, Muller and Dorrans all capable of playing 10...would be strange. Unless we are going to 4231 or similar with Troisi a winger.

1 minute ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Kagawa would be great. But with Troisi, Muller and Dorrans all capable of playing 10...would be strange. Unless we are going to 4231 or similar with Troisi a winger.

Didnt he (kagawa) want to play as a striker ?

Edited by TwoLeftFoots
11 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Jordon Mutch, English midfielder who used to play for Vancouver Whitecaps?

63 on FIFA

I am not excited by this signing, especially since Steve Ugarkovic - our apparent transfer target is rated 68

That said, Fowler got some decent mileage out of the League 2 low-60s rated imports. 

4 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

63 on FIFA

I am not excited by this signing, especially since Steve Ugarkovic - our apparent transfer target is rated 68

That said, Fowler got some decent mileage out of the League 2 low-60s rated imports. 

The fact that Robinson already knows him and has worked with him eliminates some concerns. He'll know whether he's got the goods to do something in this league and wouldn't waste a foreign spot on someone who is just making up the numbers.

He's also only 29 with Championship and EPL experience.

19 minutes ago, Carns said:

The fact that Robinson already knows him and has worked with him eliminates some concerns. He'll know whether he's got the goods to do something in this league and wouldn't waste a foreign spot on someone who is just making up the numbers.

He's also only 29 with Championship and EPL experience.

In Robbo we trust.

Till about round 6.

The club must provide the script for these foreign players to read for the press release - they all say the same thing;

"to play for the biggest club in Australia is exciting,” (biggest club - yeah right!)

I have watched the A-League here in the UK and also played in Asia in the Asian Champions League so I have seen a lot of matches ...."  (Yeah - I am sure you did!)

Seriously, is this the best we can do for an OS import? Worth bringing him or is it CR looking after a mate?

• mack unpinned and locked this topic