Squad Development 2021

12 minutes ago, wswnick said:

His injury history during his time at MLS is a sobering read

So a 6 month deal is probably a good thing then

TWG mentioned Urgakovic will be joining us next season. Mutch looks like just a player to add some depth in DM, his injury record and playing record over the past 2 years isn't too great hasn't seen much football. Maybe just to add some depth to midfield with a short turn around between games and especially if we lose Baccus to the Olyroos.

1 hour ago, mack said:

We went through all the rigmarole of getting Ziggy his citzenship so we could sign another generic English midfielder.

You don't want mutch do you?

Or at least you shouldn't expect too Mutch

Edited by StringerBellend
1 hour ago, wswnick said:

We got Ziggy his citizenship to replace him in the starting line up with another visa called Ziggy :p

Ziggy MkII can actually defend......:P

:D

I mentioned about Jordan Mutch ages ago.

As soon as I saw him as a free agent, I knew Robbo would go on to sign him. The issue now is the midfield is ridiculously stacked and the defence is still a major concern.

29 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

I mentioned about Jordan Mutch ages ago.

As soon as I saw him as a free agent, I knew Robbo would go on to sign him. The issue now is the midfield is ridiculously stacked and the defence is still a major concern.

I wouldn't say major. having a strong midfield in front of you is a huge bonus to keeping the pressure off the backline. Ziggy has been an improvement there too. He made some huge tackles where  Ziggy 0.5 ballsed it up and gave away pens last season. Lets see if it continues beyond 1 game

Pretty happy with the signing as it has plenty of potential upside without a lot of downside.

Unless we pillage another foreigner from an A-League club we were always going to be in a position where they wouldn’t be up and running until halfway through the season. Mutch has a decent pedigree and is only on a six month contract.

Worst case he doesn’t work out, we miss a visa player for half a season and release him. Best case he stays fit, is a gun and we offer him a longer contract.

As always give the guy a run and see how it goes, if he creates more competition for spots that’s great - Dorrans and Baccus need to be pushed. 

i would prefer the same for Cox - hopefully ibini keeps getting better 

at least CR isn’t messing around and is getting the backing of the board. 

Club is showing some intent - now to see how it comes together - no one can deny the squad is much better than 2 weeks ago 

now it’s up to CR to get them fighting for the shirt and performing 

3 hours ago, Unlimited said:

63 on FIFA

I am not excited by this signing, especially since Steve Ugarkovic - our apparent transfer target is rated 68

That said, Fowler got some decent mileage out of the League 2 low-60s rated imports. 

Once again this means absolutely nothing.

From memory when we signed the Italian flop Pio, he was 72 rated!

Mutchy looks like he has decent pedigree and isn't too old yet. 

Worst case is he doesn't work out, so we miss out on a good foreign player for half a season before he gets fit and we can release him at the conclusion of his 6 month contract.

Best case is he dominates the league with his Premier League experience and we re-sign him for a season or 2 more.

In my opinion this is a low risk signing, unlike Vedran or Ziegler where we have tied them down to 3-4 year contract and they turn out duds and we can't get rid of them.

1 hour ago, Zakman said:

The club must provide the script for these foreign players to read for the press release - they all say the same thing;

"to play for the biggest club in Australia is exciting,” (biggest club - yeah right!)

I have watched the A-League here in the UK and also played in Asia in the Asian Champions League so I have seen a lot of matches ...."  (Yeah - I am sure you did!)

Seriously, is this the best we can do for an OS import? Worth bringing him or is it CR looking after a mate?

Sorry that the club couldn't get Messi, they'll try next time. 

On a serious note, Mutch can be a bit of a hit and miss.

When he was at Cardiff City, he was their best player in the 2013-14 season. He was the 2nd best goal scorer with 7 goals (Frazier Campell was 1st with 9 goals). Unfortunately, they did come last and was relegated to Championship.

Harry Redknapp signed him to Queens Park Rangers the following season. However, he copped two injuries that season. After his 2nd injury, Redknapp would barely use him and would put on the bench. So, Mutch wanted a transfer and went to Crystal Palace mid-season. However, he basically did nothing there and some Palace fans call him the worst player to be signed to them. 

He did well with Robbo while at Vancouver, did 2 goals and 3 assists. But he copped three injuries during the season (he missed about 18 games) and also did well for Gyeongham FC during their AFC Champions League campaign in 2019 (provided 1 goal and 1 assist during their 4 games). But...he also got injured and was out for the regular season (missed 9 games).

I think he is a decent player...but as you can see, the real concern is he is injury prone. Almost injured at every club he plays for:

7ghBopA.png 

9 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Yep...when Piovaccari joined, he rating was 72.
When he left the club, he dropped to 69

43 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Mutchy looks like he has decent pedigree and isn't too old yet. 

Worst case is he doesn't work out, so we miss out on a good foreign player for half a season before he gets fit and we can release him at the conclusion of his 6 month contract.

Best case is he dominates the league with his Premier League experience and we re-sign him for a season or 2 more.

In my opinion this is a low risk signing, unlike Vedran or Ziegler where we have tied them down to 3-4 year contract and they turn out duds and we can't get rid of them.

You have to understand that Unlimiteds three main pastimes are ....WSW FIFA Ratings, Scrabble......:P

:D

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Oh god, we didn't sign Adam Johnson did we?

I was more referring to taking too many touches ON the field, but can understand how my post was misconstrued. We can only hope he doesn't touch too much either on or off the pitch.

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

Finally a solution to marron's desire to have a chant based off a (sort of, related to) reggae tune.

Hey man, these colours is a reggae tune and it's the best one haha. that desire was already fulfilled back in the beginning.

Wow, Robbo likes midfielders. Maybe he's nervous about Dorrans sloppiness on the ball. Just kidding. Although we have lots of midfielders, most are attacking minded. Mutch may be a solid holding midfielder allowing others to go forward with more confidence. We also have the option of pushing Troisi up front with Ibini if Cox doesnt work out.

On 04/01/2021 at 11:48 AM, Frankos187 said:

One foreign spot let, which position do we strengthen??? 

I would have never picked a CM...

Anyway is Giannou our only real ST that we could sign?? Not convinced he is a 15 goal a season striker.

9 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

So a 6 month deal is probably a good thing then

Yeah, not sure why Robinson bothered saying we'd wait for transfer window and not rush into any signings if we were just going to grab a free agent that has barely played since 2019

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

Yeah, not sure why Robinson bothered saying we'd wait for transfer window and not rush into any signings if we were just going to grab a free agent that has barely played since 2019

With Baccus and Dorrans as the only quality DM/CM players, WSW would have been one injury away from getting into trouble. There had to be a third player, Ugarkovic was Plan A, and that didn't happen. If Mutch is fit and healthy he won't be just a Plan B.

13 minutes ago, FCB said:

With Baccus and Dorrans as the only quality DM/CM players, WSW would have been one injury away from getting into trouble. There had to be a third player, Ugarkovic was Plan A, and that didn't happen. If Mutch is fit and healthy he won't be just a Plan B.

Remember Baccus is going with the olyroos (as might Tass + Tate)

With the foreign place now gone and needing a front man striker Apo Giannou is the only logical choice on Aussies available. The formation is quiet set in an attacking sense but all our players we have brought in  need a front man to play off even Simon Cox best position is a false nine or as part of a front 2. Never seen our midfield so stacked since 2015/16

All in all im pretty happy with the Midfield now.

Love a big midfielder with footwork. They offer a lot in many different situations. Here's to hoping we keep him fit.

31 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

With the foreign place now gone and needing a front man striker Apo Giannou is the only logical choice on Aussies available. The formation is quiet set in an attacking sense but all our players we have brought in  need a front man to play off even Simon Cox best position is a false nine or as part of a front 2. Never seen our midfield so stacked since 2015/16

Giannou would be fantastic for us if we can bring him in. It sends Cox back to the bench too