Squad Development 2021

6 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

Personally, I feel that Ibini is more of a winger (like Hersi and Castelen) and would be ideal if Robbo decided to play 4-2-3-1 formation with Muller and Ibini as the wingers and Cox as the lone striker. 

It seems Ibini playing as a striker with Cox isn't going to work. 

Ibini's performances so far have been closer to Adeleke than Castelen. He should get better though. But when? By next week would be good!

On 10/01/2021 at 1:08 AM, MathyouWSW said:

Personally, I feel that Ibini is more of a winger (like Hersi and Castelen) and would be ideal if Robbo decided to play 4-2-3-1 formation with Muller and Ibini as the wingers and Cox as the lone striker. 

It seems Ibini playing as a striker with Cox isn't going to work. 

Thats my assessment too. There's lots of good footballers who flourish on the wing but struggle up the middle. Ibini looked decent when he's being put in behind but lost in the build up where guys like Juric are much better. 

The problem we now have is that Aquilina and Russell are fast becoming our 'go forward' outlets (btw Georgie, time to start looking in the job section of the sunday paper mate). The back line is looking good even when those two are pushed way up looking to be released. Gordon has been fantastic in his first two outings, as have Mouda and Mcgowan for me. If we swap to 4ATB how does that change the dynamic with TR and TA since they'll be required to do more defensive work. Or does Dorrans just drop in to the back line and let the young fellas go hunting?

Even a 442 completely exploits these 532 formations everyone is running. You overload the wings and its bloody hard to stop. However you need a real 9 to run a 442, the second striker lurks wide to help the build up. Though, Im yet to see much evidence we have a proper striker to finish any good work the good build up

Is Jordan Mutch in Australia yet ? 

Another question did anyone receive there print at home tickets for this Saturdays game I received an email confirming my seats but did not have attachments for the tickets ?

12 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Thats my assessment too. There's lots of good footballers who flourish on the wing but struggle up the middle. Ibini looked decent when he's being put in behind but lost in the build up where guys like Juric are much better. 

The problem we now have is that Aquilina and Russell are fast becoming our 'go forward' outlets (btw Georgie, time to start looking in the job section of the sunday paper mate). The back line is looking good even when those two are pushed way up looking to be released. Gordon has been fantastic in his first two outings, as have Mouda and Mcgowan for me. If we swap to 4ATB how does that change the dynamic with TR and TA since they'll be required to do more defensive work. Or does Dorrans just drop in to the back line and let the young fellas go hunting?

Even a 442 completely exploits these 532 formations everyone is running. You overload the wings and its bloody hard to stop. However you need a real 9 to run a 442, the second striker lurks wide to help the build up. Though, Im yet to see much evidence we have a proper striker to finish any good work the good build up

That’s a great assessment of where we are. Tass and Aq may be forced to stay at home in 4-4-2 

anyway CR when he talks looks like he may mix things up but ahead of derby don’t see a change in formation unless he thinks Sydney are going to hurt us with the 3-5-2

44 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Another question did anyone receive there print at home tickets for this Saturdays game I received an email confirming my seats but did not have attachments for the tickets ?

When I bought my tickets yesterday there was a screen message advising tickets would be issued later

4 hours ago, Keithie said:

I just checked Jordan's Instagram and his story shows that he is in Australia at one of the Coffee Club branches. Doesn't appear to be in quarantine.

6 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

I just checked Jordan's Instagram and his story shows that he is in Australia at one of the Coffee Club branches. Doesn't appear to be in quarantine.

Sorry, my mistake, it was actually Dorrans instagram. I got them mixed up 😅

On 12/01/2021 at 3:06 PM, GE942150 said:

You get another email with the pdf attachment for home print you will get the ticket but you will have no seat number

On 12/01/2021 at 10:07 AM, Keithie said:

Bought tickets yesterday and they were emailed immediately after I paid.

Jason Geria has been released from JEF United Chiba in J2 League. 

Could be signed as backup for Russel or Aquilina and should come in reasonably cheap.

I remember him being decent at Victory.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

After listening to ATB on the issue of Simon Cox and his wife's due date, this may be of interest 

16 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Could be signed as backup for Russel or Aquilina and should come in reasonably cheap.

Unless geogevski leaves I’m not sure it’s the spot we need to look at for backup most of all. I’d prefer another striker, especially with the chance of Cox heading off still lingering 

On 14/01/2021 at 2:48 PM, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I like Geria but I think were ok with wing backs atm. 

39 minutes ago, iamwesternsydney said:

What's happening with Ziegler and Kamau, unsighted of late?

Ziegler was on the bench for the first game or two, is supposedly injured now. No idea re: Kamau.

2 hours ago, Carns said:

Ziegler was on the bench for the first game or two, is supposedly injured now. No idea re: Kamau.

I think Kamau was injured during pre season and only returned to training as the season kicked off.

He's been listed in the squad for the last 2 matches 

4 hours ago, iamwesternsydney said:

What's happening with Ziegler and Kamau, unsighted of late?

Would you say we’re missing either of them?... I wouldn’t 

On 15/01/2021 at 6:03 AM, Paul01 said:

After listening to ATB on the issue of Simon Cox and his wife's due date, this may be of interest 

So who do we think will replace? A rookie or can we sign someone at this time? Or do we just change formation? 

1 minute ago, GE942150 said:

So who do we think will replace? A rookie or can we sign someone at this time? Or do we just change formation? 

If I recall J O'Doherty's dad has said on here that he will stay and bring his wife and newborn over. Tough decision to make for him .....especially their firstborn. 

If Cox does go I get the feeling he will use Ali Auglah in partnership with Muller and Ibini .

8 minutes ago, sonar said:

If I recall J O'Doherty's dad has said on here that he will stay and bring his wife and newborn over. Tough decision to make for him .....especially their firstborn. 

If Cox does go I get the feeling he will use Ali Auglah in partnership with Muller and Ibini .

Would be tough to bring a newborn over and quarantine. But I respect that he wants to stay. 

57 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

Would be tough to bring a newborn over and quarantine. But I respect that he wants to stay. 

He’d be better off doing it though, most of the UK is in lockdown, it’s well grim, if he can get his family over here they will be far better off 

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Kenny Miller could come out of retirement for a short term contract

Cox’s work rate has been great but as our sole striking option, on a foreign contract,  we need goals from him. We don’t get points for trying hard.

Having said that, he’s yet another striker WSW have signed and then done bugger all to try and structure our attack to suit his style of play. He likes to hold the ball up and distribute which only works if he has another strike partner (aka Duke) or a winger that can regularly find the back of the net. We have neither of those...

In my view Robbo is building a squad that will work and I said on another post that Cox’s off the ball work is exceptional.

Jordan Mutch will bring another dimension to our game and as Ibini fitness levels improve he will be a great impact player or starter , 4 weeks from now  think we will be well satisfied.

My only concern is Mourdakutis , his positional play was ordinary against FC but he is better that what is on the bench. I hope he learns from Saturday.

we also need to keep Tate Russell from getting to big a head gotta keep his feet on the ground and don’t believe all he reads.

2 minutes ago, Keithie said:

In my view Robbo is building a squad that will work and I said on another post that Cox’s off the ball work is exceptional.

Jordan Mutch will bring another dimension to our game and as Ibini fitness levels improve he will be a great impact player or starter , 4 weeks from now  think we will be well satisfied.

My only concern is Mourdakutis , his positional play was ordinary against FC but he is better that what is on the bench. I hope he learns from Saturday.

we also need to keep Tate Russell from getting to big a head gotta keep his feet on the ground and don’t believe all he reads.

I think he has fantastic positioning due to his composure both on and off the ball. His tackling and intercepts are second to none in the current squad imo.

24 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Cox’s work rate has been great but as our sole striking option, on a foreign contract,  we need goals from him. We don’t get points for trying hard.

Having said that, he’s yet another striker WSW have signed and then done bugger all to try and structure our attack to suit his style of play. He likes to hold the ball up and distribute which only works if he has another strike partner (aka Duke) or a winger that can regularly find the back of the net. We have neither of those...

He is definitely missing Duke I can see his less effective mostly because Duke would attract defenders that left space for Cox to exploit. In saying that he has improved from the Macarthur where he was mostly anonymous.

3 hours ago, hughsey said:

We had none of those in the first season but we had Saint Dino who could hold the ball similar to Cox and play intelligent passes to our midfield which would lead to goals.