Squad Development 2021

2 hours ago, Davo said:

If Aquilina was a bit more clinical in his finishing I could see him playing more as a winger rather than a fullback. He's got pace, good with the ball at his feet and can hit a cross.

finishing has never been a requirement for a WSW winger he can join the long list of pacey wingers who couldn’t finish 

Appiah, Sotirio, Ruka, Jumpei, Majok...

even hersis finishing was a bit erratic

The only good finisher we have had on the wing was the King 

On 18/04/2021 at 5:38 PM, StringerBellend said:

Ok stats fans how many teams this year have we conceded early feels like loads 

9 times...

vs Sydney FC - Away - Barbarouses 63 min FT SCORE: 1:1
vs Macarthur FC - Away - Jovanic 18 min FT SCORE: 2:2
vs Wellington - Away - Muratovic 9 min FT SCORE: 2:2
vs Adelaide - Home - Goodwin 2 min FT SCORE: 2:3
vs Melbourne City - Home - MacLaren 6 min FT SCORE: 0-2
vs Wellington - Home - Davila 7 min FT SCORE: 4:3
vs Central Coast - Home - Simon 22 min FT SCORE: 2:2 
vs Adelaide - Away - Juric 11 min FT SCORE: 1:1
vs Brisbane - Home - Brindell-South 18 min FT SCORE: 1-2

13 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

9 times...

vs Sydney FC - Away - Barbarouses 63 min FT SCORE: 1:1
vs Macarthur FC - Away - Jovanic 18 min FT SCORE: 2:2
vs Wellington - Away - Muratovic 9 min FT SCORE: 2:2
vs Adelaide - Home - Goodwin 2 min FT SCORE: 2:3
vs Melbourne City - Home - MacLaren 6 min FT SCORE: 0-2
vs Wellington - Home - Davila 7 min FT SCORE: 4:3
vs Central Coast - Home - Simon 22 min FT SCORE: 2:2 
vs Adelaide - Away - Juric 11 min FT SCORE: 1:1
vs Brisbane - Home - Brindell-South 18 min FT SCORE: 1-2

Technically 8 times, Barbarouses goal was 63 minutes in, thats not conceding early at all.

1 minute ago, MathyouWSW said:

Apologies, you're right
I was counting teams that were scoring first.

Even still, you're absolutely right, it's quite shocking how many early goals we have conceded. Most of those games we haven't gotten a win from bar the Nix game, which was lucky in the end due to a marginal offside call.

I'd like to see how often we win games when we score first.

9 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Even still, you're absolutely right, it's quite shocking how many early goals we have conceded. Most of those games we haven't gotten a win from bar the Nix game, which was lucky in the end due to a marginal offside call.

I'd like to see how often we win games when we score first.

Sadly, one.

R2 vs Newcastle Jets

They scored first against City in Melbourne and lost.

Keep in mind, there is some games where the squad hasn't conceded a goal or gone to win by 2 goals (or more) which I didn't include of course.

Edited by MathyouWSW
52 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Shocking isn't it there are 4 games we have conceded inside of 10 mins, and 5 inside 15mins

You were correct with 4 inside 10 minutes, here's the list by per minute:

R10 vs Adelaide United - Home - Goodwin 2'
R10 vs Melbourne City - Home - MacLaren 6'
R12 vs Wellington - Home - Davila 7'
R9 vs Wellington Phoenix - Away - Muratovic 9'
R16 vs Adelaide - Away - Juric 11'
R7 vs Macarthur FC - Away - Jovanovic 18'
R17 vs Brisbane Roar - Home - Brindell-South 18'
R15 vs Central Coast - Home - Simon 22'
R12 vs Wellington - Home - Devlin 32' 
R14 vs Melbourne City - Away - Noone - 33'
R10 vs Adelaide - Home - Mauk 44'
R17 vs Brisbane Roar - Home - Danzaki 45+2'
R15 vs Brisbane - Away - Danzaki - 49'
R14 vs Melbourne City - Away - Nabbout - 52'
R10 vs Melbourne City - MacLaren 54' (pen)
R14 vs Melbourne City - Away - Noone - 55'
R7 vs Macarthur FC - Away - Susnjar 58'
R3 vs Sydney FC - Away - Barbarouses 63' (pen)
R12 vs Wellington - Home - Hemed 64' (pen)
R1 vs Macarthur FC - Home - Milligan 72'
R2 vs Newcastle Jets - Away - Boogaard 72'
R9 vs Wellington - Away - Fenton 79'
R6 vs Newcastle - Home - O'Donovan 81' (pen) 
R10 vs Adelaide - Home - M.Toure 82'
R15 vs Central Coast - Home - Bozanic 83'
R14 vs Melbourne City - Away - MacLaren - 90+2'

Have to admit, this isn't something I'm proud of to be posting on this forum. :nono:

Edited by MathyouWSW

Mathew Leckie to the A-League looking like a possibility.

Get Troisi and Ibini out of here, give him a contract (and change the formation)!

https://www.beinsports.com/au/aussies-abroad/news/socceroos-star-leckie-confirms-desire-to-leav/1672699?fbclid=IwAR3KjfcgVR0fBdfqJ5lhAPknYaSPrNG9MTHKUY0wXcsb-mWwg22H3quYGK4

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
Forgot link to article
15 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Mathew Leckie to the A-League looking like a possibility.

Get Troisi and Ibini out of here, give him a contract (and change the formation)!

https://www.beinsports.com/au/aussies-abroad/news/socceroos-star-leckie-confirms-desire-to-leav/1672699?fbclid=IwAR3KjfcgVR0fBdfqJ5lhAPknYaSPrNG9MTHKUY0wXcsb-mWwg22H3quYGK4

Even if CR refused to change the formation, Leckie would be a very handy right wingback.

On Leckie considering he is an athletic freak that can break the lines with his sheer pace would anyone be tempted to fork out Marquee wages to bring him to the Wanderers? I think he is exciting enough to demand Marquee wages but that would come with added pressure for him to score goals, something vitally missing in his overall game.

26 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

On Leckie considering he is an athletic freak that can break the lines with his sheer pace would anyone be tempted to fork out Marquee wages to bring him to the Wanderers? I think he is exciting enough to demand Marquee wages but that would come with added pressure for him to score goals, something vitally missing in his overall game.

Muller and Cox contracts finish this season. I assume one or both of them are our marquee players. The question is, would Leckie choose the Wanderers. No doubt there'd be plenty of a league clubs keen to sign him. He's from Melbourne, and there's 3 clubs with deep pockets down there. He'd be sentimental toward Adelaide United since that's where he got his start. I dare say Sydney FC would be more appealing to him than us as well as they are more successful. It's probably immaterial anyway. His enthusiasm to join the a league does not look that strong. "Not ruling it out" is almost a polite rejection.

4 hours ago, octa9ona11 said:

Thinking Simon Cox might be on his way out. His wife and daughter, who he has never met didn't get an exemption to move over and be with him. If he left to go back I cant blame him.

He doesn’t play cricket 

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Break the lines with sheer pace but missing goals, that’s a Wanderers tradition for wingers 

Appiah 

sotirio 

majok

ruka 

Jumpei 

Kamau although to be fair he is starting to score 

1 minute ago, Davo said:

Wow. Looked nailed on to be going to City.

Surely that means we're releasing someone. I can't see us keeping Cox, Duke, Yeboah, Ibini etc all on the books with McDonald as well, both for cap and practical purposes.

I think its because we may lose players to international duty as stated in the article. 

2 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

I think its because we may lose players to international duty as stated in the article. 

None of our forward players would be going to the Olympics (only Auglah is young enough and we don't play him anyway). Duke could possibly go with the Socceroos but that's it.

Still wouldn't be surprised if someone left.

• mack unpinned and locked this topic