Carl Robinson Discussion

- Glad we got rid of sackwatch out of the thread title :rolleyes:

- I’ve got zero expectations, after what we’ve dished up year after year, can we just have a team that football?

- CR can speak a good game, that’s half the battle. MB was good at that too. The key is how he gets the boys performing on the field, thats what Popa struggled in his last season or so, Gombau flopped, MB not far behind & JP, well he did his best.

- There is so much to get right off the field, culture needs a reset & how long that takes? Won’t be overnight but you know that he’ll get everything he needs to turn things around.

1 minute ago, Prydzopolis said:

- Glad we got rid of sackwatch out of the thread title :rolleyes:

- I’ve got zero expectations, after what we’ve dished up year after year, can we just have a team that football?

- CR can speak a good game, that’s half the battle. MB was good at that too. The key is how he gets the boys performing on the field, thats what Popa struggled in his last season or so, Gombau flopped, MB not far behind & JP, well he did his best.

- There is so much to get right off the field, culture needs a reset & how long that takes? Won’t be overnight but you know that he’ll get everything he needs to turn things around.

They have to Prydz...(  turn things around ) or they will kill the fanbase sooner rather than later. There is only so much the koalas can bear.....:ninja:

:D

3 hours ago, mack said:

Managers can say whatever they like. The only thing that matters is winning. If we start the season badly he'll lose the team quicker than Gombau or Babbel did.

If they say whatever they like, publicly...and undermine the confidence of their players, they won't be winning! 

PS Of COURSE there are other reasons why a team doesn't win, but a team whose manager undermines the players does damage. We saw it with Babel.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Carl is going to have to go some to beat Babbel on the touchline fashion front though...he rocked some awesome outfits.

My son ran an Instagram page for a little while that showed Markus wearing his fashionable threads along with some colourful commentary. His wife followed the page. Some of the comments were hilarious and she was very gracious when everything fell apart and they had to leave. 

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

If they say whatever they like, publicly...and undermine the confidence of their players, they won't be winning! 

PS Of COURSE there are other reasons why a team doesn't win, but a team whose manager undermines the players does damage. We saw it with Babel.

34 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

My son ran an Instagram page for a little while that showed Markus wearing his fashionable threads along with some colourful commentary. His wife followed the page. Some of the comments were hilarious and she was very gracious when everything fell apart and they had to leave. 

He was a stylish mofo 

Carcelo RoBielsan will get this team going.

Youth is his strength, that tells me he is psychologically good with the players. Moulding them, giving them confidence, belief.

Combine that with Westie mongrel, never say die.

His tactical nous, his ability to instill confidence,  his track record with youth.

In RoBielsan we trust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone see or Robinson on Optus Sport the other morning when various EPL teams were going through or being knocked?

He was scathing of Manchester United. Turns out he supports the Red Devils.

And he calls a big space a shovel.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why-wanderers-may-not-sign-a-replacement-for-departed-swiss-saviour-20201213-p56n39.html

Direct quote from Robinson. We have 2 visa spots to fill.

"The squad is not where I want it to be. I'm not naive enough to think that we're ready yet. We probably won't be ready by the first month of the season," Robinson said.

"The simple thing for me to do would be to sign two foreigners and make knee-jerk reactions and decisions based on players that are available now.

"There will be a bigger market of players available in January, because the European transfer window opens. We've got a wonderful academy ... if these players don't get given a chance in the current COVID climate, they're probably likely not to ever be given a chance."

Edited by wswnick
12 hours ago, wswnick said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why-wanderers-may-not-sign-a-replacement-for-departed-swiss-saviour-20201213-p56n39.html

Direct quote from Robinson. We have 2 visa spots to fill.

"The squad is not where I want it to be. I'm not naive enough to think that we're ready yet. We probably won't be ready by the first month of the season," Robinson said.

"The simple thing for me to do would be to sign two foreigners and make knee-jerk reactions and decisions based on players that are available now.

"There will be a bigger market of players available in January, because the European transfer window opens. We've got a wonderful academy ... if these players don't get given a chance in the current COVID climate, they're probably likely not to ever be given a chance."

Good of the club to keep us updated. I've heard nothing, presume Zeigler is now Aussie.

14 hours ago, wswnick said:

Unless the new signings are so much better than the knee-jerk signings that they'll make up more points in the back two thirds of the season than we lose in the first third by having only 3 visa players with a bunch of kids then I'm not sure that's the best decision.

12 minutes ago, Davo said:

Unless the new signings are so much better than the knee-jerk signings that they'll make up more points in the back two thirds of the season than we lose in the first third by having only 3 visa players with a bunch of kids then I'm not sure that's the best decision.

That would be the case if it as pure league system. Three points in round 1 is worth the same as 3 in round 20 so you need a strong start to finish top. But the A League basically is finish top 4 (or even 6) and win the end of season knockout comp. Its the players you have in the finals that win you it. 

When SFC finished 7th in 15/16 the next season they recruited well and finished in 1st and lost one game (to us) towards the end of the season.

"No knee jerk reactions" and "Won't be ready for the first month" is pathetic.

If we're not ready for the first week why have confidence they'll be ready 8 weeks later?

43 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

That would be the case if it as pure league system. Three points in round 1 is worth the same as 3 in round 20 so you need a strong start to finish top. But the A League basically is finish top 4 (or even 6) and win the end of season knockout comp. Its the players you have in the finals that win you it. 

If you don't finish top 2 you have an extremely low chance of winning the post-season trophy. That's history.

6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

17-18 we had five foreigners all season (swapping Jumpei for Carrusca mid season) and missed the finals. 18-19 we had five foreigners all season and missed the finals. 19-20 we technically had five although Muller came relatively late and by the time he was up and running Meier left so we really had four until Cox signed, missed the finals.

Given that we couldn't even make the end of season knockout comp with a near full compliment of foreigners in our last three attempts, going through a third of the season with three doesn't sound like a formula for success.

I really hope I'm wrong but we've seen over the history of the competition that if you get at least four of your five foreigners spot on and fill the rest of the starting XI with fringe Socceroos and good young talent you're going to be a contender. We currently have three foreigners (one of which hasn't met the squad yet and missed most of preseason) and we released our fringe Socceroo players in Duke and Jurman.

Since the end of last season we've released nine players and brought nine into the senior squad. We lost Schwegler, Majewski, Duke, Suman, Jurman, Cordier, Sullivan, Prendergast and Lopar. They've been replaced with Dorrans, Lesiotis, Margush and Cancar, plus five youth players getting scholarship contracts. I don't see us levelling up the squad anywhere other than if Dorrans works out well in the 10 and allows Muller to play wide. Otherwise we've swapped Duke for Yeboah, Schewgler for O'Doherty, Lopar for Margush, Jurman for Tass (I'll admit that could end up being an upgrade). Two more foreigners would make that equation a little more palatable.

4 hours ago, Davo said:

Lesiotis, Margush and Cancar, plus five youth players getting scholarship contracts

Those three are youth players that happen to have full time contracts. Lesiotis was invisible (1 assist, no goals) in a terrible Victory team and Margush is only slightly more experienced than Suman despite being 23 years old (which I would still classify as young, playing goalkeeper). Cancar is 19 years old and seems to have played a handful of first team games in Croatia as his only experience beyond youth football.

So the summary is we've replaced 6 experienced players with an over the hill generic Scottish box to box midfielder and internal promotions from the squad that was terrible last year and more NPL2 level youth kids.

Oh and the team won't be ready until 35% of the season is over.

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with Daniel Margush

My son has played with Daniel since they were 7 or 8 for Croatia Raiders  and the SA state teams and Adelaide Utd youth and senior

Daniel is in my opinion in the top two olyroo level goalkeepers. He has been understudy for Galekovic and Izzo and when he got his chance he excelled

Lopar was excellent but he wanted more money and left

I am 100% sure he will be a great success at WSW

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic