Carl Robinson Discussion & Sackwatch

14 minutes ago, sonar said:

I hear your pain so have a virtual one of these for free......:grouphug:

( Made with best of intentions, not having a go at you )

I'm fine mate. Thanks for the hugs. :good:

eetswa was funny at first. It get's boring really quickly when repetitively repeated.

It's like hearing your grandfather telling the same joke every time you catch up with him. 

Edited by Wanderboy
1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Yeh, I know. I'm always trying to keep a positive spin on things. We should have won in Wollongong. We should have beaten Adelaide at home and Brisbane away, and probably even the Mariners the other night with a bit of luck.

That would have given us another 9 points on the table and we'd be leading the comp.

It's these games that have destroyed my confidence and optimism. We seriously have underperforming players and questionable tactics. Week after week.

Our squad, playing at their full potential, should be destroying this league. Alas, it is just more mediocrity week after week.

It's depressing.

What's just as depressing (and ******* boring) is reading buzz words like elan and eestwa in posts week after week. Not sure if it's attempted humor or not but geez, give it a rest people.

It’s humour or at least my poor attempt, the team drove me mad about two seasons ago.

the e word (the first one)  was also an attempt to be positive, it’s been very negative on here and I like you want us to be doing well 

Apart from last paragraph everything else is pretty much exactly as I feel.

Once again we are underperforming and we don’t seem to learn from week to week 

I owe you a beer to make up for the trauma I’ve caused 

you can add Campbelltown to the list of frustrating games, we didn’t turn up until halftime and still should have won 

29 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I'm fine mate. Thanks for the hugs. :good:

eetswa was funny at first. It get's boring really quickly when repetitively repeated.

It's like hearing your grandfather telling the same joke every time you catch up with him. 

Sorry 

I blame my dad he only has three jokes and I’ve heard them for 40+ Years

On 08/04/2021 at 10:35 AM, wendybr said:

Who's going to be the first grump to come along, and complain that this thread has been derailed?  :cheeky:

🧐

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion & Sackwatch
On 16/10/2020 at 10:20 PM, wendybr said:

Carl Robinson... "Sackwatch Thread"????????

Nooooooooooo!

Please... no!!

Can we have a manager and a team for the next 2-3 years!

The same manager and the same team!

Just for a change.

Pleeease!

Hmmmm...the thread name change tonight prompts me to revive this earlier post.

And to add that,  Ange didn't win in his first season with the Roar (as someone else pointed out recently), Arnie took 2 seasons to get SFC into winning shape, from memory, I think?

And I can't remember when in the season Staj started at the Mariners...but they ended last year with the wooden spoon, didn't they? Or, if not, they were close.

Like all supporters, I'm frustrated at our unimpressive situation.

But...Rome wasn't built in a day, (to use a cliche), and it's less painful having more modest expectations of our team, than to dream of them being Premiership material this season. That was never going to happen, imho. 

PS Happy to be proven wrong if I've misremembered anything mentioned above.

16 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hmmmm...the thread name change tonight prompts me to revive this earlier post.

And to add that,  Ange didn't win in his first season with the Roar (as someone else pointed out recently), Arnie took 2 seasons to get SFC into winning shape, from memory, I think?

And I can't remember when in the season Staj started at the Mariners...but they ended last year with the wooden spoon, didn't they? Or, if not, they were close.

But...Rome wasn't built in a day, (to use a cliche), and it's less painful having more modest expectations of our team, than to dream of them being Premiership material this season. That was never going to happen, imho. 

PS Happy to be proven wrong if I've misremembered anything mentioned above.

Arnie took sfc to 2nd place and grand final appearance in his first season. Second season they missed the finals but than went to the top the next two seasons. 

5 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

Arnie took sfc to 2nd place and grand final appearance in his first season. Second season they missed the finals but than went to the top the next two seasons. 

Thankyou, GE!

I knew he didn't win...but yep...that was impressive... after their years in the doldrums (7th Heaven was the taunt here, for those last few years).

:) :)

8 hours ago, wendybr said:

Ange didn't win in his first season with the Roar (as someone else pointed out recently), Arnie took 2 seasons to get SFC into winning shape, from memory, I think?

The major question is whether Robinson is the same quality of manager. All of those you listed had won major trophies previously, they had runs on the board. Robinson has won one trophy, for a knockout tournament between Canadian clubs. He hasn't done much else of note.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

The major question is whether Robinson is the same quality of manager. All of those you listed had won major trophies previously, they had runs on the board. Robinson has won one trophy, for a knockout tournament between Canadian clubs. He hasn't done much else of note.

Perfectly fair enough, Carns.

I guess my point was that, for things to "gel" in one season, with a new manager, and many new players coming together for the first time, is a big ask...if you're asking for a premiership winning team.

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Perfectly fair enough, Carns.

I guess my point was that, for things to "gel" in one season, with a new manager, and many new players coming together for the first time, is a big ask...if you're asking for a premiership winning team.

The other thing with those examples is you could see signs.

I don't see many signs. At least not good ones. I'm a big believer in giving things time, but our owners will no doubt see fit for a mass exodus regardless of whether Robinson starts to come good.

Just now, marron said:

I don't see many signs. At least not good ones. I'm a big believer in giving things time, but our owners will no doubt see fit for a mass exodus regardless of whether Robinson starts to come good.

And....I don't disagree there  Marron.

The owners...and the rumblings are there from the fans too.

13 minutes ago, marron said:

word on the streets is there is about 10 players who carlo doesn't see as part of the future.. so either way there will be big change

Having just watched 10 men adelaide tear us apart I'm not sure I'm see improvement 

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

word on the streets is there is about 10 players who carlo doesn't see as part of the future.. so either way there will be big change

Having just watched 10 men adelaide tear us apart I'm not sure I'm see improvement 

ffs. it's the ****en aleague. I thought at the beginning at least carlo seems to be a "work with what you've got" kind of guy. A wholesale clear out is never going to work especially if you do it EVERY ****EN YEAR. 

We all have our players who we would gladly see the back of but the reality is in this league there will always be those players. Always. They are unavoidable. We had them when we were top of the continent FFS. 

27 minutes ago, marron said:

ffs. it's the ****en aleague. I thought at the beginning at least carlo seems to be a "work with what you've got" kind of guy. A wholesale clear out is never going to work especially if you do it EVERY ****EN YEAR. 

We all have our players who we would gladly see the back of but the reality is in this league there will always be those players. Always. They are unavoidable. We had them when we were top of the continent FFS. 

The key for any team (he says in a Craig foster voice rubbing his chin) is the spine of your team and keeping that together 

GK, CB, DM, AmIdfield striker 

out of that 

margush is still you but worth sticking with 

Natta is the future ant Ziggy is ace

dorrans should stay 

I’m not convinced we have a #10

Duke 

I know what I mean..

To be fair to Carlo he’s brought some players in he’s used the youth, he has a couple of players from previous manager playing 

sacking your managers means you end up like Everton are, 4 different managers worth of players in your squad to move on 

I’m interested to know the players thoughts about CR and his tactics. I’d be getting pretty frustrated by now if I was part of a stacked squad that kept getting sent onto the park each week in a formation that is so glaringly disadvantageous. I’m surprised there hasn’t been murmurs of dressing room tension, all things considered.

1 minute ago, hughsey said:

I’m interested to know the players thoughts about CR and his tactics. I’d be getting pretty frustrated by now if I was part of a stacked squad that kept getting sent onto the park each week in a formation that is so glaringly disadvantageous. I’m surprised there hasn’t been murmurs of dressing room tension, all things considered.

From what I understand the players have bought into this way of playing and say they are invested in Carl's philosophy and all that rubbish.

I'm surprised the boys sound like they are enjoying the way they are playing, it looks about as boring as watching grass grow.

10 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I suppose most of them share the same manager anyway so everything is all hunky dorey in the jobs for the boys club...

I can't imagine certain players in that squad not letting their feelings known if they thinks he's full of hot air.

There might be an uprising at some point.

Two thirds of the squad are off contract at the end of the season. I think it's best to stick with CR next season and allow him to recruit a squad with the attributes to play his system. He was able to bring in a few players this season, but for the most part was stuck with Babbel's squad. Although in fairness to Babbel, Lederer and JT appeared to have more say than him in who was signed.

2 hours ago, JustWandering said:

Two thirds of the squad are off contract at the end of the season. I think it's best to stick with CR next season and allow him to recruit a squad with the attributes to play his system. He was able to bring in a few players this season, but for the most part was stuck with Babbel's squad. Although in fairness to Babbel, Lederer and JT appeared to have more say than him in who was signed.

Unless Robbo brings in VVD, Verane and Koulibaly to sit in a back 3 then his system is complete dog **** and will fail again. 

Who could he possibly recruit within a $2.1m salary cap that would be a step up from the personnel he has now? If anything it’s a minor miracle this squad was assembled for such a minuscule amount. There’s been nothing about any potential increase to the salary cap for next season. 

The problem is Robbo and his inability to coach a team. With Babel I could see something building even though results weren’t going our way, with Robbo we are going nowhere.

More and more I think the people who are truly truly excellent at their jobs in any field are rare.

Managing a side in any national league is an achievement, if you think about the number of positions available compared to how many football coaches there are out there from the ground up.

And yet you have so many that are inflexible and somehow unable to see issues or know how to fix them.

(Could I do it? of course not. I'm sure Robbo would kill me on multiple levels as a coach. Although my U15s boys went undefeated that time and won the final. My main involvement was encouragement and giving them 90s era football nicknames. Baggio! What a player he was).

I like most of the squad. They really should be doing better. The most disappointing thing for me, apart from the persistence with things that aren't working, is that Robbo looked like he was going to give us some mongrel and we are as flat as ever.

3 hours ago, Carns said:

He really feels like a one trick pony and a bit of a dud. I don't see giving him more time and he'll magically develop into a title winning/challenging manager. He's won one trophy in his career, which was the equivalent of a Canadian FFA cup.

I'd love to see to know who at the Wanderers came up with the idea of appointing him. If is was the CEO or Paul Lederer,  neither of them should be the ones making that decision.

As I and a lot of other forum members have said previously, there should be a senior well  known and respected person making those decisions, someone akin to a Ernie Merrick for example.

31 minutes ago, papersun said:

I'd love to see to know who at the Wanderers came up with the idea of appointing him. If is was the CEO or Paul Lederer,  neither of them should be the ones making that decision.

As I and a lot of other forum members have said previously, there should be a senior well  known and respected person making those decisions, someone akin to a Ernie Merrick for example.

I've been an advocate for a football director since before Babbel was appointed. The suits don't know what the **** they're doing - none of them have either played or coached the game at a high level. And I agree, someone like Merrick (can see he would have positives and negatives) could be suitable. Someone who knows the game, knows the A-league and can be an overseer of the entire football department (including manager and player appointments). You need some continuity.

Carlo in. 

We dominated possession and created many chances but couldn’t put them away, but this is on the players too, not just the coach. 
I counted Duke missing 3 headers from right in front and Ibini missing one, which was followed by countless other missed shots in the last 20. 

The formation needs to change, but the white elephant here is that if we start with 2 centre backs,  we would need to bench our captain, with Ziggy and Tass starting ahead of him...

Lederer has done a good job specially in developing the back of house facilities, but he needs to remove himself totally from the football side of things and let the CEO do his job.