Carl Robinson Discussion

Just now, Sithslayer1991 said:

I find myself having that debate as well. Talay not only rebuilt the Nix he actually improved them from Rudan's time there. For this reason alone I would be gunning for him consider where we are at the moment.

This season is a bit of an outlier because everything has been against the Nix because of COVID regulations. 

Muscat actually inherited Postecoglu's winning team. Sure he rebuilt the Victory for several seasons but it remains to be seen how actually good he is when its a shambles of a team.... like us

We might actually need that. Even with Muscat you have someone that is screaming in the ref's ear.

Don't like Muscat either, would take Merrick... with a younger up and coming nsl coach.

2 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Don't like Muscat either, would take Merrick... with a younger up and coming nsl coach.

Merrick would be interesting.

Be honest I would agree with you. I don't want the big leg breaker as our coach. 

I am warmer to Talay because of what he has done with the Nix I think its what the club needs.

Talay is actually worse this season than in his first one. That's not a good sign. They also have a hard run in to the finals so it's not likely to improve.

Merrick's time has come and gone and he was never a particularly consistent achiever anyway.

Kewell? Assuming he even wants to come to Australia, has had a very rough start to his managerial career. He did alright at his last club Oldham but he still got sacked.

Miron, Okon, Aloisi no, same bad trajectories in their jobs.

Kosmina doesn't have the bottle for the A-League any longer.

Mulvey had one of the worst single season records ever with his one win from 21 games with the Mariners in 18/19. His last year in Brisbane he got off to a bad start and got sacked after 2 wins from 7 games, no to him.

Muscat. Delivered. He delivered a 50%+ win rate in 4 of his 6 seasons, was still at 40% in the other two (making the finals both of those years). He won 4 trophies and was a penalty shootout away from a 5th against the No Salary Cap Smurfs in 16/17, then got revenge for that by knocking them out in the 3-2 Antonis Semi-Final before taking advantage of a VAR fail to beat the Jets in 17/18.

Our only serious options are poaching Arnie from the National Team somehow, bringing back Muscat, signing someone who has success in the NPL but hasn't done anything in the A-League yet, or trying another worldwide search, with owners who aren't going to pay what a successful manager would require to come here.

57 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/if-you-havent-got-pride---carls-challenge-as-fans-demand-change-563775

With rumours circulating that former Victory boss Kevin Muscat coach is being lined up for his job, Robinson is defiant as his team prepare for a Saturday night local derby against bitter rivals Sydney.

#MuscatIn

Calling it now..if we get like a 4-0 spanking Saturday the trigger will be pulled.

On a knife edge for Robbo.

46 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Muscat actually inherited Postecoglu's winning team. Sure he rebuilt the Victory for several seasons but it remains to be seen how actually good he is when its a shambles of a team.... like us

Mack has already summarised Muscat well, but he also qualified in ACL spots more seasons than not as manager. He, Popa, Arnie and Ange are the best Australian managers still going round at the moment based on previous form (Merrick is past it and was patchy).

And we know Popa, Arnie and Ange are no chance.

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Writing is on the wall for CR. Anything less than victory against the Smurfs and I think it might be the end of CR. Most definitely would end our season

Options depending on outcome

1 We lose and CR gets chucked out

2 We win and CR goes on a Jets style run

3 We win and CR stays, but we revert to shyte next game and miss finals anyway. This continues for another season

4 We lose again and Lederer does nothing..

I am thinking that knowing WSW option 3 is the most likely.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Calling it now..if we get like a 4-0 spanking Saturday the trigger will be pulled.

On a knife edge for Robbo.

I agree Robbo is on a knife edge. A result like what you suggested would be the last straw for Wanderers fans. God forbid, that lot from the east have embarresed us too many times before and another humilition, at home, would be just too much to handle and completely unacceptable. Even if we win, I feel as though it would only be just covering up the cracks. 

My problem with a manager sacking atm is that we are again just going down the same manager failure path as before. 

Foxe. Gombau. Babbel, JPD. And now Robinson? That would be 5 managers in 4 years. It is no wonder there is no stability in the club.

I would keep Robinson, despite our sadly declining form this season. I agree with those who have spoken about the club providing CR with all the resources possible this season. We actually have a decent roster, but how many times have we all discussed after games how crap the effort has been by so many of those players that have been brought in has been? Ibini, Troisi, Mutch, etc.... These guys have seriously been under performing despite their potential. We all expected more from this squad. If anything, it has generally been the youth players who generally haven't let us down. Carl was stuck with players like McGowan and Ziegler. Enough said.

Sure, CR has possibly made some selection and tactical mistakes. I get that. But, ultimately, he is just 17 games into a career at a new club.

I can't help but compare us to the Parramatta Eels. Current coach Brad Arthur was appointed following a period of coach swapping. He was appointed in 2014. He also had to deal with seasons of no Pirtek, playing games out of SOP like we had to. He "won" 2 wooden spoons during that period, yet, he now has the Eels as genuine title contenders and has adapted his squad over time to suit the ever changing rules in the NRL. A top 4 team (in a 16 team comp) for the past 2 seasons and the Eels are now competitve weekly.

It takes time to rebuild clubs. Popovic ****ed us over big time by walking out 2 weeks before a season start, and ever since then, our Snr management has been looking for the quick fix to keep the fans satisfied. Clearly that hasn't worked, and clearly the lack of success with this approach has lead fans to be more disenfranchised. Another sacking of a manager would just prolonge the agony. It would be the same old, same old, for another season. And then, we are back to where we are today.

Stability and well managed clubs are continually successful. At this point in time, we are neither.

46 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

3 We win and CR stays, but we revert to shyte next game and miss finals anyway. This continues for another season

The correct answer is 3 but I’ll answer 2 as I’m a positive kind of a dude 

49 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

The correct answer is 3 but I’ll answer 2 as I’m a positive kind of a dude 

Being as positive as I can right now - the only options are 1 or 2.

11 hours ago, Ossified said:

...... So what do we do about our esteemed owner? .....

He should butt out of on-the-pitch, football stuff, including deciding if a manager is qualified or not. Cough up the money, enjoy the football, but stay the hell out of the actual football stuff

1 minute ago, EmMac said:

He should butt out of on-the-pitch, football stuff, including deciding if a manager is qualified or not. Cough up the money, enjoy the football, but stay the hell out of the actual football stuff

He signs a football director with actual real football experience, sets a direction at the club then does nothing more than sign the checks and show up at the corporate box on gameday. He's clearly incompetent at basically everything relating to running a football team.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

He signs a football director with actual real football experience, sets a direction at the club then does nothing more than sign the checks and show up at the corporate box on gameday. He's clearly incompetent at basically everything relating to running a football team.

Yep exactly

12 minutes ago, mack said:

I agree...but if you pay it's hard to not to have a say.

As you can see with all of us.

15 minutes ago, mack said:

Sounds like Mike Ashley, and we have been heading down the same path unfortunately. 

22 hours ago, mack said:

My view is that the importance of having the academy is vastly over-rated by Lederer and some fans. The club will be lucky to introduce a single youth player into the first team per season, who will play at an acceptable enough level to remain with the club beyond just their early 20's. And not all of them will be first team level quality.

If you want to be Bilbao, then say so. But Lederer has said we are a team who win trophies. An academy is a useful tool for the club but it's not the solution to winning trophies again. Relying on academy players in their teens & early 20's is a fast ticket to losing. We know the formula for winning in the A-League. 4 or 5 high quality foreigners in your spine, a handful of Australian players who are in or near the Australian national team level, a few lesser quality experienced, battle hardened squad players and the occasional youth player for energy and putting pressure on the starting squad.

Spot on Mack.

This club needs to make a decision whether it wants to produce youth players or win trophies because it is almost impossible to do both. I don't mean to sound like Alan Hansen but the history of this competition shows that.

The youth players coming through the system are good youth players but none are at the standard where they are near the best in the competition for their position or of the quality that is required to win you a title.  Younger players lack experience and with that comes a lack of consistency required. Title winning players perform week in, week out.

In my opinion, if it is possible to win the A-League blooding plenty of youth, you need to have an excellent core of proven winners who have been there, seen it and won it. Playing and learning around these players is the best education for the youth and will speed up their development but those players are not here.

Dare I say it, but I think Arnie was right when he said  "the A-League is not a development League. It's a meaningful competition where clubs expect to win trophies." It pains me to agree with him but I do.

The fans want to win trophies.  The Club needs to change direction.

9 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

I agree...but if you pay it's hard to not to have a say.

As you can see with all of us.

True

My counter point would be that in their respective companies, the members of the WSW board would hire personal assistants and managers to look after certain parts of their business.

E.g. Lederer doesn't inspect all pieces of salami prepared in the Primo factories, there would be supervisors

Having a football director doesn't mean that board members can't give their opinions on who to sign

Let's say we had a football director and Lederer tells him he wants to sign Jamie Maclaren (yes, i know it's a fantasy but go with me here), the football director would have to explain to Lederer whether Maclaren can fit into a broader strategy

"Ok your goal is to finish top four each season. Signing Maclaren could work provided we can replace experienced centre backs with academy recruits to manage the salary cap"

4 minutes ago, andypk said:

In my opinion, if it is possible to win the A-League blooding plenty of youth, you need to have an excellent core of proven winners who have been there, seen it and won it. Playing and learning around these players is the best education for the youth and will speed up their development but those players are not here.

Yep.

The senior player have not stepped up or have been very ordinary, Ziggy Gordon being the exception.

I just hope that at some stage, there is a fan protest.

We have gone from "The best team in Asia" (Popa), to one of the worst teams in the A-League, in little more than 5 years.

The season 1 silent protest for 20 mins vs Wellington, and the walk out at the Mariners game (which I participated in both) were powerful. It's time for another protest, and hopefully, change. I'm sick of this ****, as we all are. I'm also sick of the rhetoric fed to us year after year, saying the same old shite from our CEO, promising everything, but continually delivering little. I've continued to purchase season tickets year after year, but my patience has worn thinner than thin. My merchandise spending has been huge over the years, but that has come to an end as well.

I really cannot see me spending any more money on this club until I see proper change.

Edited by Wanderboy
4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

We all know the ACL win cursed us for eternity.

Lederer to Genie: I wish that Al Hilal will fail to score in the final leg.

Genie: That's gunna take some serious magic. It'll cost ya. Your club will never win another trophy. All players and managers you bring to the club will turn to sh!t, no matter how good they were before.

Lederer: Oh sh!t really. I really want that champions league trophy though. Oh f&ck it, I'll just build a player development facility and make a sh!toad from selling juniors. Make it happen Genie .........

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic