Carl Robinson Discussion

53 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Personally, I’d like us to give an NPL manager a shot at the big time

Incentives will line up perfectly. The only issue will be player recruitment and if some senior diva players might try to take advantage of some random 

At least the playing style will be to Australian conditions and there will be a greater understanding of what the level is 

so, Patrick Zwaanswijk then

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Fixed - and what a succinct but sad summation that is.

What's Muscat actually doing now - and would he really want to tackle the role of managing our team?

Whoever does it would have to have a gigantic ego, I think.

what did Babbel say that wasn't accurate, he's been proven largely correct

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

What's Muscat actually doing now

He's still in UK/Europe fishing for jobs AFAIK. I'd assume he'd have to use the networks he developed as a player to try and land a lower level management job. Getting the sack in Belgium isn't going to open a lot of doors.

On 07/01/2021 at 11:46 AM, Johnny199r said:

Vancouver Whitecaps/MLS fan here.

I went to an A-League game in Sydney in 2009. I enjoyed it. I like the A league. Australian soccer is a good example for Canada (my country)

Carl Robinson is an idiot. There are too many problems to list. He has no idea to coach offensive, creative soccer. He will drill his team to sit back, boot it long and play kick and run. When his team loses 4-0 after getting outshot 20-3 for the 3rd straight game he will talk about how soccer is a game of "fine lines" and other ridiculous clichés that will make you want to throw up in your mouth.

He has a relationship with one player agency, and gets all of his players from them. It's baffling.  There's no reason for it. He brings in some really recycled crap players - I see he's already doing that with Jordan Mutch and Bernie Ibini for your team.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2018/8/29/17779710/interview-with-lenarduzzi-raises-questions-about-connection-between-vancouver-whitecaps-and-agent

Whitecaps supporters generally hate him. It's like he was living in an alternate reality with the same old nonsense he would spout after every post game loss.

He tries to bring up Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich) name every chance he gets. Like he was solely responsible for developing him and he's a mastermind. It's infuriating. 

I hope he works out better for you guys. I can't think of anyone in Vancouver that would ever take him back.

Good luck this season!

Anyone remember reading this.     

7 minutes ago, Zakman said:

In previous seasons, there were always excuses a coach at WSW could fall back on such as a substandard recruitment budget by the club, inadequate training facilities, not playing at a proper football ground (SOP). When it comes to CR, no other coach in our short history has been given more tools and and had more favourable circumstances for a successful season. He got the players he asked for and still getting them up until recently (Ugarkovic), has superior training facilities and stadium not to mention the fact that circumstances caused by Covid meant that WSW has had a relatively less disrupted fixture program than other teams such as Western United, Perth and Brisbane. Even our traditional bogey team, Melbourne Victory were there for the taking this season. I just can't see how you would blame anything else other than the coach for this season!

Agreed!

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

I was actually thinking about that whitecaps fan. Everything he said has turned out to be spot on. The truth hurts hey...

Actually, I don't agree.  Not defending Robbo but we didn't sit back and boot up field.  We have been far better to watch most of the season than last year or before that.  We leak goals too often and there are major problems, but as Keithie said, we are scoring more goals than other teams.  When we have been fluid, it has been good to watch.  We just get stuck in too many games and lose our way.  Some of our passing has been excellent.  Some of our passing has been horrific.  Sometimes we look world beaters and sometimes we look like wooden spooners.

Never really sure which team will emerge for the game???

3 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Actually, I don't agree.  Not defending Robbo but we didn't sit back and boot up field.  We have been far better to watch most of the season than last year or before that.  We leak goals too often and there are major problems, but as Keithie said, we are scoring more goals than other teams.  When we have been fluid, it has been good to watch.  We just get stuck in too many games and lose our way.  Some of our passing has been excellent.  Some of our passing has been horrific.  Sometimes we look world beaters and sometimes we look like wooden spooners.

Never really sure which team will emerge for the game???

Yep.

Consistently inconsistent

....and that is the thing that is "p"ing people off the most, me included.

But we are scoring goals mostly every week , fix the leaking defence and we have a good team I think this will be an easy fix , let me tell you Carl and Kenny have both played at high levels of soccer , they are not Stupid nor are their assistants this will be fixed in the off season and look forward to next year   

20 minutes ago, Keithie said:

But we are scoring goals mostly every week , fix the leaking defence and we have a good team I think this will be an easy fix , let me tell you Carl and Kenny have both played at high levels of soccer , they are not Stupid nor are their assistants this will be fixed in the off season and look forward to next year   

Can anyone try and explain the thinking behind this man...I am at a loss. Three weeks ago we played them and won...Much to my surprise, I thought we could get done by as much as 5. Then three weeks later he changes the system and the staring line-up. We didn't have injuries or suspensions...So why would you changed what worked three weeks ago...why?

9 minutes ago, TwoLeftFoots said:

I think his love of ugarkovic changed our tactics from last derby.

Yes he is a quality player, but when chasing the finals, you can't put on a player in the heart if midfield and expect miracles. Takes time to gel.  I think this has cost us a couple of times in recent weeks.

Thanks for your take on it.

Robbo said right from the start he would like to make the 6 this season but his target is next season , All I can say is between Robbo and his assistant's they can see what we can see but have little better insight being close to the playing group , I believe we have to give him a full the opportunity to build the squad he wants in the off season, he will know he needs a leader a strong player tall and can lead the kids from the centre back position , if all us shiny arse lounge chair experts see it why wouldn't Robbo and his coaching group seriously. John Tsatsimas basically admitted McGowan is no good in a discussion with a small group of supporters recently. 

For Whacko we got smashed 3 weeks ago and won I don't think Robbo was prepared to ride his luck again and made some changes, except for a block by one of our players Kamau goal would have stood and a draw,  we crucify him when he does and we crucify him when he doesn't. 

Steven Ugarkovic will become the core of defensive and attacking midfield along with Dorans and Baccus will become our Attacking  Midfielder. Many people have tagged Ugarkovic as one of the best defensive midfielders in the league how could you leave him on the bench and Robbo did you blokes would be screaming you little titties off at him. 

Remember fellas Sydney FC is a team that basically has been together for 3 years give or take minor adjustments and they show it with their fluent game , we need stability to build something like this and at this stage Robbo and his coaching team are the ones we need to put our faith in for the period of time and hopefully he can build a cohesive quality squad.

I have to back Robbo in for another year !!!  

6 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Robbo said right from the start he would like to make the 6 this season but his target is next season

"I need to get results, we haven't made Finals in the last three seasons which I know and we need that not to happen again."

"I am joining a club which doesn't want to just make the Top Six, we want Top Four and Top Two. We want to win Championships and I like that pressure."

That's from his first press conference. He's never said he would only "like to make the top 6" or that the target is next season.

7 hours ago, Keithie said:

For Whacko we got smashed 3 weeks ago and won I don't think Robbo was prepared to ride his luck again and made some changes, except for a block by one of our players Kamau goal would have stood and a draw,  we crucify him when he does and we crucify him when he doesn't. 

Fair points...thanks. 

16 hours ago, WHACKO said:

Anyone remember reading this.     

I took this statement with the grain of salt when he first posted this and besides the style of football, he's pretty much spot on in everything else

9 hours ago, Keithie said:

Robbo said right from the start he would like to make the 6 this season but his target is next season , All I can say is between Robbo and his assistant's they can see what we can see but have little better insight being close to the playing group , I believe we have to give him a full the opportunity to build the squad he wants in the off season, he will know he needs a leader a strong player tall and can lead the kids from the centre back position , if all us shiny arse lounge chair experts see it why wouldn't Robbo and his coaching group seriously. John Tsatsimas basically admitted McGowan is no good in a discussion with a small group of supporters recently. 

Steven Ugarkovic will become the core of defensive and attacking midfield along with Dorans and Baccus will become our Attacking  Midfielder. Many people have tagged Ugarkovic as one of the best defensive midfielders in the league how could you leave him on the bench and Robbo did you blokes would be screaming you little titties off at him. 

Remember fellas Sydney FC is a team that basically has been together for 3 years give or take minor adjustments and they show it with their fluent game , we need stability to build something like this and at this stage Robbo and his coaching team are the ones we need to put our faith in for the period of time and hopefully he can build a cohesive quality squad.

I have to back Robbo in for another year !!!  

we are 9th

Yes I get the Sydney took years as did City but look at the other 7 teams in front half of them have new coaches, one of them didn't exist last year, and one is the mariners

He's signed 2 premier league players, a socceroo regular, a fringe soccerroo, player of the season from a rival etc. 

9th isn't good enough

We cant keep putting this on mcgowan. CR could have signed a replacement. He had spare foreign spot so a world to choose from, instead he made him captain, picks him when fit, and signs a midfielder from the same agency, that we don't need and then doesn't play him anyway

9 hours ago, mack said:

"I need to get results, we haven't made Finals in the last three seasons which I know and we need that not to happen again."

"I am joining a club which doesn't want to just make the Top Six, we want Top Four and Top Two. We want to win Championships and I like that pressure."

That's from his first press conference. He's never said he would only "like to make the top 6" or that the target is next season.

Keithie is either CR or his agent.

Smoggy your devious English mind is working overtime , all I am doing is trying to support a medium term methodology to turn the wanderers into a club that has solid foundations the 2 templates to use are Melbourne victory in recent 3 years and Sydney FC over a longer period of time. I would have included Melbourne Victory up to 3 years ago but since the demise of Muscat they have a Wanderers stench about them , as for the rest.

Brisbane have in recent times been on the outer edge without threatening a title but has player stability , that's average. 

Adelaide has had a stable squad without any sensational imports in recent times but again sitting on the edge and cant be seen as a threat to the title in recent years.     

the rest Macarthur to new to measure , Western united , looks like second year failure , Wellington 3 years ok without threatening Newcastle , hmmm, Perth again hit the hilites and near sent the owner broke doing it but has had stability.

All I can say is stability all good clubs reek of it , keep demanding the coaches head each season and we will remain a mediocre club , invest a couple years in Robbo and he fails will only give us the same result if we chase another coach and if we invest in Robbo and if he is successful we will all be rejoicing. 

In my long term involvement in Australian soccer I have hardly ever seen a team be successful without a strong Centre back !!! 

9 minutes ago, Keithie said:

In my long term involvement in Australian soccer I have hardly ever seen a team be successful without a strong Centre back !!! 

On this we most deffinately agree! Solid experienced CB who is captain material to lead they way. You want a big strong experienced CB pairing really.

I also don't mind a Midfielder who picks up the odd red card here or there and gets stuck in.

Edited by Smoggy
18 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Smoggy your devious English mind is working overtime , all I am doing is trying to support a medium term methodology to turn the wanderers into a club that has solid foundations the 2 templates to use are Melbourne victory in recent 3 years and Sydney FC over a longer period of time. I would have included Melbourne Victory up to 3 years ago but since the demise of Muscat they have a Wanderers stench about them , as for the rest.

Brisbane have in recent times been on the outer edge without threatening a title but has player stability , that's average. 

Adelaide has had a stable squad without any sensational imports in recent times but again sitting on the edge and cant be seen as a threat to the title in recent years.     

the rest Macarthur to new to measure , Western united , looks like second year failure , Wellington 3 years ok without threatening Newcastle , hmmm, Perth again hit the hilites and near sent the owner broke doing it but has had stability.

All I can say is stability all good clubs reek of it , keep demanding the coaches head each season and we will remain a mediocre club , invest a couple years in Robbo and he fails will only give us the same result if we chase another coach and if we invest in Robbo and if he is successful we will all be rejoicing. 

I’m for stability but it needs to be the right person 

For club to commit to a manger they need to be showing that they are progressing 

so far none have done that 

He’s got to get us in the 6 and show something in the finals 

at the moment even the players he signed don’t look interested 

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic