Carl Robinson Discussion

Is Ziegler better than McGowan about equal  is my view so who else can he play at centre back Tass Mourdakutis ? 

it would be a big ask to have Mourdakutis , Natta, Aqualina , Russell or Wilmering  along with the Gordon a pretty young group there  ? 

35 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Is Ziegler better than McGowan about equal  is my view so who else can he play at centre back Tass Mourdakutis ? 

it would be a big ask to have Mourdakutis , Natta, Aqualina , Russell or Wilmering  along with the Gordon a pretty young group there  ? 

given that why sign an overseas MF to sit on the bench

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

Stringer I don’t want to prove anybody wrong I just like to be positive,  but I do think Robbo will prove to be a success but his off season work will tell a big part of the story 

If we can win the next three games he will prove me right.

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

Stringer I don’t want to prove anybody wrong I just like to be positive,  but I do think Robbo will prove to be a success but his off season work will tell a big part of the story 

He had a two and a half month off-season already this season. Where's the success?

On 24/05/2021 at 11:40 AM, JustWandering said:

I agree with all of this post wholeheartedly. We could hope for no better than to trace what Melbourne City have done. Keep all the young players that are willing to stay, and bring in 3 quality foreigners: a centre back, an attacking midfielder and a centre forward. We can trim some of our attacking players, as we have a lot of the same at the moment. Be nice to keep Bruce, but if he can get a contract overseas would not really want to stand in his way.

It's been a poor year for CR, but I would give him another year. Ideally, I'd like to see Patrick Zwaanswijk groomed as the next manager. He has done a fantastic job with the youth team. If he can back this up with another good season next year, He may be ready for the a league the year after.

Ah, a plan, would be so nice to see from our club.

7 hours ago, Keithie said:

I tried positivity this season, but they don’t make it easy 

Unless you know something we don’t I would think it’s far from certain he’ll be  here next season

Massive game for him tonight 

Edited by StringerBellend

If we were to review the season as a whole we actually didn't do too bad at the start of the season the first 9 games were solid and so to was the defens beside the Macarthur first game mishap. However the Adelaide game we lost 3-2 (after the got smashed by Macarthur) and Melbourne City straight after broke momentum and the weaknesses of the team were getting punished. After that its a **** show. You can check wikipedia our fixtures 1st half looks good for top 6 and the 2nd half of the season we just fall of a cliff. Its like the whole league realised how to play against us and CR never had an answer to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Western_Sydney_Wanderers_FC_season

15 hours ago, Keithie said:

Common sense we have scored more goals then 10 other teams in the league that vindicates his Robbo’s choice of attacking players.

We have conceded more goals than 10 other teams in the league so what do we do we replace the recalcitrant defenders with better ones.

what is the end result ? 

November 2nd, 2019 Frankfurt beat Bayern 5:1. Coach Kovac was sacked the next day, assistant Flick took over, and in the next 18 months they won 7 seven titles with the same squad.

There was no need for better players. All that was required was a coach to make the existing squad hum again. That's common sense to me.

In a 3 at the back system, obviously the wing backs are important as they need to have an excellent motor, as well as attacking and defensive prowess. 

Russel, Aqualina and Wilmering just haven't had that consistency or potency to worry the opposition. As stated previously, the opposition worked us out and CR has had no answer. 

The middle defender in the back three (the old sweeper or libero position), plays a vital role. McGowan in particular has been either a passenger in defence (out of position or too late to close down an attack), or going in unnecessarily giving away stupid fouls/penalties. 

His organisation is appauling, hence why defending set pieces has been abysmal. 

Playing out from the back, all he does is pass to Natta or Gordon, who are usually standing only a few yards away from him. 

We essentially lose a player in the midfield playing this system... the oppostion play through our lines so easily, and we are constantly on the back foot.

Even though Zeigler has been nothing short of a dud, in recent games, we've actually looked more organised when he has played. 

For the love of God, just go back to playing 4 2 3 1 and play the guys who are hungry and have a point to prove.

17 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

It’s his squad now 

he signed 7 of the starting line up out of the rest three are kids that he plays and the only other he made captain 

Actually three of the subs

its his squad 

Indeed.

CR signed Magush, Gordon, kamau, troisi, Ibini, McDonald, Duke, Ugarkovic, Mutch, dorrans, and promoted Aquilina and Natta.

The club will be happy about two youth players moving up the ranks. Apart from that they will question their return on investment. 

It was CR himself who suggested that the team, after a bumpy start, would be performing in February. The club expected that we'd be a force as of March. 

That clearly has not happened. We've gone backwards. CR was given full control of recruitment and he created a Pioviccari convention. Big fail. He knows it. The club knows. The only thing that matters is how Lederer feels about it.

1 hour ago, SNS100 said:

In a 3 at the back system, obviously the wing backs are important as they need to have an excellent motor, as well as attacking and defensive prowess. 

Russel, Aqualina and Wilmering just haven't had that consistency or potency to worry the opposition. As stated previously, the opposition worked us out and CR has had no answer. 

The middle defender in the back three (the old sweeper or libero position), plays a vital role. McGowan in particular has been either a passenger in defence (out of position or too late to close down an attack), or going in unnecessarily giving away stupid fouls/penalties. 

Playing out from the back, all he does is pass to Natta or Gordon, who are usually standing only a few yards away from him. 

We essentially lose a player in the midfield playing this system... the oppostion play through our lines so easily, and we are constantly on the back foot.

Even though Zeigler has been nothing short of a dud, in recent games, we've actually looked more organised when he has played. 

For the love of God, just go back to playing 4 2 3 1 and play the guys who are hungry and have a point to prove.

I agree back 3 has actually been better recently with Ziegler than Mcgowan. That isn't saying much because we were still leaking goals

57 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

Pitch: a low budget version of "Inception"

A select group of WSF members enter Paul Lederer's dreams to tell him he needs to hire a director of football

Mister Charles: Using Malware Authors' Paranoia Against Them — Chris Louie,  CISSP

Some of our performances this season have made people want to lay down on train tracks.

Looking at theremaining fixtures I think we are a good chance of staying in 9th on 34/35 points. So one or two more points and the same finishing position as last year, despite a heap of investment and support in the manager. 

Who think's Lederers trigger finger will be able resist acting on that?

5 hours ago, SNS100 said:

Very much this 

After yet another season of failure it’s time for radical action. Here is what I propose:

1) Sack CR

2) Appoint one of the forumites as coach on a one week contract

3) If the team wins, contract gets extended for another week

4) If team loses or draws another forumite takes over

Think of the advantages. It will be cheap. We finally get to see if five at the back is the real problem.

But mostly it couldn’t be worse - and will be a whole lot more entertaining - than the crap the club has served up for the last few seasons.

5 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

After yet another season of failure it’s time for radical action. Here is what I propose:

1) Sack CR

2) Appoint one of the forumites as coach on a one week contract

3) If the team wins, contract gets extended for another week

4) If team loses or draws another forumite takes over

Think of the advantages. It will be cheap. We finally get to see if five at the back is the real problem.

But mostly it couldn’t be worse - and will be a whole lot more entertaining - than the crap the club has served up for the last few seasons.

Or you hire a coach who tells Lederer what he wants to hear: play attacking football that attracts a full house audience, wins national titles and the ACL.

I'd say some of our players came to the club because CR told them about these ambitions, and they wanted to be part of it. That's why they are so flat. They are disappointed, have lost interest. 

That's what happens when you put a gas bag in charge.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Can someone remind me again just why we / Lederer are propping up the Jets ?

I think it's us and either two or three  more clubs. 

I can see the need for the Jets to remain in the League, traditional  football area here, hope an owner is found shortly.  

Lederer also isn't the sole owner of the Wanderers, although obviously the most visible one.

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic