Carl Robinson Discussion

First, I'm neither for/against Robbo - we will see.  I'm not sure I see a better option at the moment.  Every time a name is mentioned I think back to the raw criticism of that person on here in previous eras.

So, one comment of positivity for Robbo - Brucey Kamau.  Kamua has had a breakout season of all the time he's been with us.  Every year I've had moments where I've glimpsed promise but then he either gets injured or is very ordinary.  This year Robbo put him into his right position on the park where his attacking skills came to the fore and his lack of solid defensive skills weren't a problem - he has been where he should be and thrived.

So I have to say (on this point at least!): 'Well done Robbo.'

I would probably add to that the young blokes - they have also thrived.  We've had ~5 youth players each week and they have largely held their own.  They've made mistakes but been blooded in the real world of 'pro' football and learned a great deal.  They will be better for the run.  Our long-suffering group that includes a Pom whose been around the block with his support in the UK and seen it all, reckoned that on the whole, we looked a much better team than previous years.  Fix the holey defence and set piece crap and we'd be top 3-4.

Overall though, a frustrating season that lacked consistency and though we looked good on paper, several of those names (whom we applauded in coming) didn't measure up to where we expected.  I have no opinion as to why not.  Perhaps it is just that they didn't gel, didn't work together as effectively as we hoped and expected??  Perhaps some didn't play to their capacity for whatever reason??

On 10/06/2021 at 3:39 PM, WHACKO said:

Full backing of the board =  only a matter of time.

Western Sydney Wanderers head coach Markus Babbel says there will be no excuses if the club doesn’t perform in the Hyundai A-League this season.

Get your tickets to Round 1 here.

Given the state-of-the-art training complex at Rooty Hill, the return to Wanderland and the signing of some key players, Babbel believes the Wanderers have all the ingredients to cast aside the disappointment of the last couple of seasons.

“It is exactly what the club needs, everything is perfect to work with now,” Babbel, now in his second season with the club, told Fox Sports Adam Peacock during a fascinating 45-minute podcast.

“Before we couldn’t do this or that because we didn’t have this and blah, blah, blah ... there was always an excuse.

“But, now it is time to work, it starts with the youth and it starts with us (the seniors).

“We have to bring more (success) than in the past (few seasons) because it wasn’t good enough. 

"We have to work on a new mentality because it was not good in the past.”

McGowan

Babbel could not hide is admiration for the Wanderers board and CEO John Tsatsimas for what they have done in terms of the outstanding training facilities at Rooty Hill.

“We have the luck to have a fantastic board. Paul Lederer, the chairman and the rest of the board, if you see seven years ago to when the club started to now, it is unbelievable what they are doing," said Babbel.

“John (Tsatsimas) our CEO, he lives 24/7 for this club.

“I always have a problem when we lose and I have to look in his eyes because the performance has not been good. These guys are amazing and do everything for this club.

“It was very very important for the club, for the future, to get this because the training facilities were very poor, the pitches were poor, so it was very difficult to train on a high level.

“And to be back at Parramatta, is unbelievable. What a great atmosphere.

“It was tough playing here and there for two or three years, but now our supporters have a home again.”

babbel

54 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Western Sydney Wanderers head coach Markus Babbel says there will be no excuses if the club doesn’t perform in the Hyundai A-League this season.

Get your tickets to Round 1 here.

Given the state-of-the-art training complex at Rooty Hill, the return to Wanderland and the signing of some key players, Babbel believes the Wanderers have all the ingredients to cast aside the disappointment of the last couple of seasons.

“It is exactly what the club needs, everything is perfect to work with now,” Babbel, now in his second season with the club, told Fox Sports Adam Peacock during a fascinating 45-minute podcast.

“Before we couldn’t do this or that because we didn’t have this and blah, blah, blah ... there was always an excuse.

“But, now it is time to work, it starts with the youth and it starts with us (the seniors).

“We have to bring more (success) than in the past (few seasons) because it wasn’t good enough. 

"We have to work on a new mentality because it was not good in the past.”

McGowan

Babbel could not hide is admiration for the Wanderers board and CEO John Tsatsimas for what they have done in terms of the outstanding training facilities at Rooty Hill.

“We have the luck to have a fantastic board. Paul Lederer, the chairman and the rest of the board, if you see seven years ago to when the club started to now, it is unbelievable what they are doing," said Babbel.

“John (Tsatsimas) our CEO, he lives 24/7 for this club.

“I always have a problem when we lose and I have to look in his eyes because the performance has not been good. These guys are amazing and do everything for this club.

“It was very very important for the club, for the future, to get this because the training facilities were very poor, the pitches were poor, so it was very difficult to train on a high level.

“And to be back at Parramatta, is unbelievable. What a great atmosphere.

“It was tough playing here and there for two or three years, but now our supporters have a home again.”

babbel

what year is it GIF

Lederer: “But we didn’t perform to our ability - that was the main issue.”

It is amazing that there haven’t been (and won’t be) any consequences. I’ve said it before: CR expected that the late arriving players would be up to speed in February, and the club expected WSW to be a force as of March. Instead, the opposite happened. If it wasn’t for CR’s work with youth players he would have been sacked. 

I am confident that, with CR in charge, WSW will qualify for the Toastmasters WC. As for the HAL: I am hoping for the best, and expect the worst.

On 11/06/2021 at 8:12 PM, WSWJACK said:

Wish we still had Lopar, we would be in top six I reckon

I am not sure 99% of the goals were not Margush's fault (the only one I can think of was the Keogh halfway goal). A leaky defence, inability to defend Corners, free kicks and formation weaknesses that was easily pierced with long angle balls down the side was the issue.

Lopar might have been able to knick us 1 or 2 extra points with his superhuman reflexes but you would be glossing over a far bigger issue within the team. Margush's stats speak for themselves having the most saves in the league means we are not defending properly.

9 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Margush had a strong start to the season and was doing all those things but then died in the ass midway through. I found it a bit strange how suddenly he seemed to decline. 

Because the whole team started to decline hahaha.

I think Margush's save stats started to increase around round 8 or 9 with the saves he was making. 2nd half of the season results absolutely killed us.

rumour to start here,     Stajcic QUITS as coach of CCM to replace Robbo or Rudan or who ever else needs replacing in the eyes of the shiny arsed Pundits :) 

Get your minds around this there will be some conspiracy theories  going on here shortly :)  

5 hours ago, Keithie said:

rumour to start here,     Stajcic QUITS as coach of CCM to replace Robbo or Rudan or who ever else needs replacing in the eyes of the shiny arsed Pundits :) 

Get your minds around this there will be some conspiracy theories  going on here shortly :)  

He is much better than Robbo

1 hour ago, mintoff said:

He is much better than Robbo

Stajic took a very average squad to the top 4, through organisation 

The team was better than the sum of its parts 

Carlo took a far stronger squad to 8th 

the team was An omnishambles 

• 4 weeks later...

I just came across this video published March 22nd. The way CR talks you really would want him as your manager. He is very convincing, one gets the impression that he coached the team to success this season. If he actually believes what he says then that’s a real worry. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

I just came across this video published March 22nd. The way CR talks you really would want him as your manager. He is very convincing, one gets the impression that he coached the team to success this season. If he actually believes what he says then that’s a real worry. 

As you've highlighted before he speaks well. But it seems to be just hot air. Hasn't really shown anything to back it up.

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, FCB said:

You said this in 2020, I would of laughed and said "no thanks" only because his record with Shimazu Pulse was really bad. However, he has managed to turn a J2 League team into a bit of a dominant team and they could be promoted, only time will tell. 

21 minutes ago, hughsey said:

What if Robbo is just keeping the seat warm until Arnie gets home from Qatar?…

You're assuming Arnie is going to get us qualified. We aren't there yet. :lol:

If Robinson has another failure of a season there won't be anyone more qualified to get us back on track. I can't stand the prick, he's useless at a club level when outside the country but he gets domestic results. And that's what we need. He'd also tell JT & Lederer (and the other clowns who own the club) to piss off from interfering with the team and his decisions.

18 hours ago, mack said:

You're assuming Arnie is going to get us qualified. We aren't there yet. :lol:

If Robinson has another failure of a season there won't be anyone more qualified to get us back on track. I can't stand the prick, he's useless at a club level when outside the country but he gets domestic results. And that's what we need. He'd also tell JT & Lederer (and the other clowns who own the club) to piss off from interfering with the team and his decisions.

You are suggesting an alternate reality. The board supports whichever manager is in charge, and their decisions. There is no interference. 

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic