Carl Robinson Discussion & Sackwatch

6 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Lots of cap space still available, still trying to finalise player signings, still a foreign spot left. 

Surprising considering the players we have signed so far, hopefully we can further strengthen the squad and push for title contention.

I have trying to get transfermarkt with contracts expiring in 2020. That function is unavailable with contracts expiring in 2021 available. Miller and Robinson know players or have a network that allows them to know players that are becoming available for whatever reason. I think we will know more in the first 2 weeks of January 2021.

I have just watched those 2 interviews. He seems like the type of gaffa that the players will respect and work hard for. I like the fact that he pulls no punches.

Yes, we have bought well and yes we may still strengthen the squad further.

However, I am hoping that the best signing we have made for this season is actually Carl Robinson.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

In other interviews he has been pretty honest that this is a stepping stone to bigger things (maybe Asia, then eventually back to UK). I don't believe he'll leave without trying to achieve something, but don't count your chickens he'll be here for years and years. It's a 3 year deal and if he does well I'd imagine he'll be gone then or sooner.

FYI I like him in general and think he can do good things at the club in a relatively short space of time. But if he's good enough, he'll be poached.

Spoken like a true Evertonian

If he’s good he’ll probably leave 

Suspect, for the first time we have a manager who actually has an eye on the bigger picture and is building something. Popa had instant success but that diminished over his 5 years and really didn't build anything that was enduring. Every year was a turnover of players and few were developed. Gumby built nothing - not even his philosophy. Not sure what Babs built - he did bring in some younger players but not a culture... JP was trying to survive and make it happen week to week and none of them had an eye on the longer term.

If Robbo walks the talk, he will build something strong and actually leave a legacy.

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

I have just watched those 2 interviews. He seems like the type of gaffa that the players will respect and work hard for. I like the fact that he pulls no punches.

Yes, we have bought well and yes we may still strengthen the squad further.

However, I am hoping that the best signing we have made for this season is actually Carl Robinson.

Yeah we had Babbel who said that the players were terrible week in and week out, that didn't go too well

I'll let our results on the pitch do the talking but from my perspective, I'm not buying it atm

15 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Yeah we had Babbel who said that the players were terrible week in and week out, that didn't go too well

I'll let our results on the pitch do the talking but from my perspective, I'm not buying it atm

Why? Because his rating on FIFA isn't high enough? :)

In all honesty, I'm not expecting instant success but I do think it will come eventually.

20 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

I don't sense that Robinson would do what Babbel did, and publicly belittle his own players. Repeatedly. To deflect from his own inadequacies.

That was pure idiocy imo, and a sign he didn't know how to get the best out of his players.

It certainly didn't end well.

29 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

.........."I'll let our results on the pitch do the talking" ..................

yep....and that's the bottom line for club and manager isn't it. 

4 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Why? Because his rating on FIFA isn't high enough? :)

In all honesty, I'm not expecting instant success but I do think it will come eventually.

We haven't made finals since goodness knows how long. This season should really be the no excuses season but there are plenty around (especially COVID related ones)

4 hours ago, wendybr said:

I don't sense that Robinson would do what Babbel did, and publicly belittle his own players. Repeatedly. To deflect from his own inadequacies.

That was pure idiocy imo, and a sign he didn't know how to get the best out of his players.

It certainly didn't end well.

Babbel's issue, I think, is that he wanted to play a brand of football that was too advanced for the players we had here. And when that didn't happen, as you said, just ripped into them.

4 hours ago, sonar said:

yep....and that's the bottom line for club and manager isn't it. 

Mostly, yes. Club culture, team spirit, smart tactics, a style of play that represents us, and smart transfers also factor into it.

He would have been told to look at the youngsters and play them , so he tested them and is offloading the ones he cannot use , good by him , no use hanging on to them 

Riddled across our league are player who were Aussie reps at a young age and don't go on with it seems Monge is one of those.

Robbo must see something in Grozos or has Taurus been in his ear :) 

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

He must, as I haven't spoken to Carl in the last couple of weeks

More that we have a myriad of CMs/DMs of which Monge was one. 

I don't think we have as many AMs

We'd be in a much better place if we weren't using the silly formation.

With a 4231 we could be playing Margush then Aquilina, Ziggy, Tass, Russell as the back four, Baccus, Dorrans as the holding mids with Mutch as the attacking mid, Muller on the left flank cutting in with Ibini & Troisi rotating the other flank & up front.

1 hour ago, pseudonym said:

“I’m here to try and change the culture, environment and mentality of the club by setting the standard from the manager down.

“I’m all about bringing in players who mirror me as a professional.

“Over the next six months you’re going to see a totally different team to what you’re seeing now.

“We have a lot of players coming off contract and there’s a chance to put your stamp on things.

---

The squad development thread won't be given much of a rest, by the sounds of it. For those coming off contract it will be a matter of adapt or perish.

It's all talk until we actually see results on the pitch. Every single manager has spruiked their way and how they would revolutionise the club, and almost all have failed. Only Popa actually proved his formula successful, and even that waned over the years too. As others have said, the most frustrating part is that we don't start the season ready to go. Our first season and Adelaide's double winning season have shown that you can recover from an average start and win the Premiership, but it often relies on other teams being inconsistent. To me, the Premiership and ACL is the ultimate goal. Finals are nice, but it's not the main aim for me.

4 hours ago, Carns said:

It's all talk until we actually see results on the pitch. Every single manager has spruiked their way and how they would revolutionise the club, and almost all have failed. Only Popa actually proved his formula successful, and even that waned over the years too

In tps case, there was nothing to change from. Hard to start from scratch but easier to start with a blank canvas.

29 minutes ago, TwoLeftFoots said:

In tps case, there was nothing to change from. Hard to start from scratch but easier to start with a blank canvas.

Definitely, but building that from nothing in 3 months was damn impressive.

Vancouver Whitecaps/MLS fan here.

I went to an A-League game in Sydney in 2009. I enjoyed it. I like the A league. Australian soccer is a good example for Canada (my country)

Carl Robinson is an idiot. There are too many problems to list. He has no idea to coach offensive, creative soccer. He will drill his team to sit back, boot it long and play kick and run. When his team loses 4-0 after getting outshot 20-3 for the 3rd straight game he will talk about how soccer is a game of "fine lines" and other ridiculous clichés that will make you want to throw up in your mouth.

He has a relationship with one player agency, and gets all of his players from them. It's baffling.  There's no reason for it. He brings in some really recycled crap players - I see he's already doing that with Jordan Mutch and Bernie Ibini for your team.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2018/8/29/17779710/interview-with-lenarduzzi-raises-questions-about-connection-between-vancouver-whitecaps-and-agent

Whitecaps supporters generally hate him. It's like he was living in an alternate reality with the same old nonsense he would spout after every post game loss.

He tries to bring up Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich) name every chance he gets. Like he was solely responsible for developing him and he's a mastermind. It's infuriating. 

I hope he works out better for you guys. I can't think of anyone in Vancouver that would ever take him back.

Good luck this season!

Can't say I've seen any evidence of 'boot it long and play kick and run' during his tenure at the Jets or the Wanderers....obviously you were not a fan....

As for offensive football....is that where you call the opposition ******* after they keep fouling you? :xnod:

Edited by MartinTyler
grammar

I rate what he did with the jets and think he has excellent potential but I definitely agree he’s got the gift of the gab.

He knows how to say the right things even if they’re completely different to what’s actually happening on the pitch. That can be very beneficial or very dangerous depending on the state of the team. 

I also agree this deal/affiliation(?) he seems to have with the player agency borders on being somewhat questionable

2 hours ago, Johnny199r said:

Vancouver Whitecaps/MLS fan here.

I went to an A-League game in Sydney in 2009. I enjoyed it. I like the A league. Australian soccer is a good example for Canada (my country)

Carl Robinson is an idiot. There are too many problems to list. He has no idea to coach offensive, creative soccer. He will drill his team to sit back, boot it long and play kick and run. When his team loses 4-0 after getting outshot 20-3 for the 3rd straight game he will talk about how soccer is a game of "fine lines" and other ridiculous clichés that will make you want to throw up in your mouth.

He has a relationship with one player agency, and gets all of his players from them. It's baffling.  There's no reason for it. He brings in some really recycled crap players - I see he's already doing that with Jordan Mutch and Bernie Ibini for your team.

Were these players good or are they crap?

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion & Sackwatch