Carl Robinson Discussion & Sackwatch

52 minutes ago, Keithie said:

BABBEL are you blokes kidding he was a puppet John Paul and between the 2 of them they could not coach a dog out of its kennel with a plate full of food.

I am staying with him until he fails with his own team and no baggage. 

I would rather Robbo supporting his players than BABBEL or Gombau publicly slotting them. 

We have to give him next season and he did say he was building for next season when he was employed this club cannot afford more blood letting and tell me who would we get to replace Robbo ,?

Remind me what is wrong with this seasons team that makes CR need next season to build on? We are stacked...

There is as much of a suitable replacement (or lack of) for CR as there was for MB.

So again, what is the difference?

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

If the club are going to stick by CR then they should’ve stuck by Babel. What’s the difference? This is what annoys me about our current situation.

CR is full of cliches and philosophical BS. Give me Babel’s brutal honesty and hard truths any day, at least it was realistic and raw.  

Sorry, but  :bad:

My conspiracy theory is that Lederer has insisted that x number of youth players must be in the starting line up in order to build value into our youth system. When the FA bring in transfer fees, maximum profit for the club will be on players that have been with us from 16 years of age. I suggest that JPM kicked up a stink about this requirement from Lederer, while CR agreed to it. Pure speculation from me.

CRs wing back system would be far more effective if Duke and Kamau were the wing backs. That would be a much better use of our attacking talent rather than trying to squeeze them all into 3 positions. Opposing teams are able to crowd our central midfielders (Dorrans, Baccus and Troisi) by leaving our young and inexperienced wingbacks free a lot of the time (especially Wilmering). I think this puts pressure on our attacking midfielder in particular. I doubt Duke and Kamau would be left as free as Wilmering (and to a lesser extent Russell), and we'd see more space in the midfield advantaging all of our attackers.

A problem with this is that both Duke and Kamau have expressed their desire to be in attacking positions. Kamau was hesitant to resign with us, and part of this may have been due to him not wanting to be a wing back as he had been at times under Babbel. Duke claimed that he left Saudi Arabia because he was not being used centrally or up front. Remember that Duke was a starting wing back in the J league.

Edited by JustWandering
Typo
42 minutes ago, mack said:

Duke scores a goal every game for us, he's not going moving back to play wingback.

We will never win the premiership until we have an Australian coach.

Who is the Australian coach who will save us that is not currently employed , Aloisi or do you want to try JPD again and in 6 months you will be bitching and whining again let’s keep chopping and changing and  and we will remain also rans.

take a look at Melbourne city , Sydney FC , etc stability coach and players MCF is a team of men playing teams with boys some of those men were boys a couple of years ago and the club has developed them.

if the rumours are true and we could have ugargovic playing for us in a week , probably close to the best DM in the league will give us hugely improved defence as well as improved balls going forward and don’t be surprised if Baccus is one of the 2 players going to Newcastle

Not that I think either would be the next manager, for arguments sake, Popa and Muscat are both available and have won trophies.

Popa should never walk the hallways of WSW again after what he did , Melbourne Victory have rejected him because they have no confidence in him not walking at the first opportunity to coach in some far away country contract or no contract.

Muscat is determined to make it in England we wont see him in Australia for a long time.

WHO ELSE ????

5 hours ago, Keithie said:

BABBEL are you blokes kidding he was a puppet John Paul and between the 2 of them they could not coach a dog out of its kennel with a plate full of food.

I am staying with him until he fails with his own team and no baggage. 

I would rather Robbo supporting his players than BABBEL or Gombau publicly slotting them. 

We have to give him next season and he did say he was building for next season when he was employed this club cannot afford more blood letting and tell me who would we get to replace Robbo ,?

Dude I’m very much still pro CR but he doesn’t half talk a load of bollocks in his press conferences

He also lacks the fashion sense that Markus had, who can forget the hats, the salmon coloured shirt the jacket the man had Elan 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

He also lacks the fashion sense that Markus had, who can forget the hats, the salmon coloured shirt the jacket the man had Elan 

^^^ This was the 2nd worst thing about him!

10 hours ago, mintoff said:

We will never win the premiership until we have an Australian coach.

Agree 100%. Unless there was to be an aspiring international manager do a decent spell as an assistant first to learn the tricks and traps of the unique structure of the aleague. Too many international managers come in here and think their pure football knowledge can outsmart the weather and salary cap of the aleague, just to name a few unique factors. 

10 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Dude I’m very much still pro CR but he doesn’t half talk a load of bollocks in his press conferences

Ah I miss the Instagram account "Markus wears...." 

Robinson has improved the team from last season and recruitment was probably the best its been in 5 years since Adelaide Grand final season. However with that comes pressure you look on paper and the Wanderers are one of the better teams. But the last 2 games we look like the team from last season and Robinson is starting to show his own limitations especially in that City game. 

It is difficult for me to gauge because he has done better than Babbel but its not saying much because we were bad under Babbel. We still look short of making the 6 and since the A-league expanded to include the Fraudsters and Macarthur the competition has gotten more stiff to make the 6.

I can't really think of anyone aside from maybe Kewel or Okon to take the mantle. For that reason regardless of if we make finals Robinson will survive this season but may not next season if results don't improve

10 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Tbh we all wanted him ( Babbel ) to succeed and it's a pity it didn't work out. I remember the derby at the SCG and Babbel getting red carded and all of us going nuts as he gave us the thumbs up as he walked past. 

Any of the English teachers on this thing impressed that I managed to drop the word Elan into a post 

Just had to look it up to make sure it meant what I thought it did (it’s not a word I use in daily conversation although I think I will now)

Elan is a simple sounding word that means liveliness, flash and panache. So if your dance moves have elan, you're feeling the groove with exceptional style and vigor. Elan comes from a French word meaning "to dart," and is often spelled élan.”

Yep that Marcus’s style alright 

English teacher reporting that it wouldn't matter what word you used to describe Babbel's "exceptional style, panache or elan".

I wasn't impressed. :P

:D:D

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

English teacher reporting that it wouldn't matter what word you used to describe Babbel's "exceptional style, panache or elan".

I wasn't impressed. :P

I’m feeling the groove with exceptional style and vigour 

I dig Carlo but he does lack a certain panache doesn’t he?

At a dinner party with Markus he would show you his original vinyl press Kraftwerk Autobahn album, then discuss the latest six part Scandinavian crime drama as he decides which Riesling to fetch from the cellar.Carlo probably wacks on his best of U2 CD

6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

At a dinner party with Markus he would show you his original vinyl press Kraftwerk Autobahn album, then discuss the latest six part Scandinavian crime drama as he decides which Riesling to fetch from the cellar.Carlo probably wacks on his best of U2 CD

.....or the top 100 Welsh rugby tries DVD.

14 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

No no no Manic Street Preachers mun.

25 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I honestly reckon Robinson would be a Coldplay fan, seems like a basic bitch.

And Babbel posted photos at a U2 gig when they were in Sydney :bad:

2 hours ago, Carns said:

I honestly reckon Robinson would be a Coldplay fan, seems like a basic bitch.

And Babbel posted photos at a U2 gig when they were in Sydney :bad:

Probably is

I’m disappointed in Marcus, I’d built him up in my head as being in to obscure German Electro and the odd industrial album, probably listens to KMFDM

9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Any of the English teachers on this thing impressed that I managed to drop the word Elan into a post 

Just had to look it up to make sure it meant what I thought it did (it’s not a word I use in daily conversation although I think I will now)

Elan is a simple sounding word that means liveliness, flash and panache. So if your dance moves have elan, you're feeling the groove with exceptional style and vigor. Elan comes from a French word meaning "to dart," and is often spelled élan.”

Yep that Marcus’s style alright 

I’m no English teacher but you did incorrectly capitalise the word twice. Unless you were comparing him to a Lotus Elan, i.e. European and not reliable enough to get you where you need to go, in which case carry on.

The worry I have with Robbo is he seems too one dimensional. I mentioned at the beginning of the City game that I'm enjoying the counter attacking style when it's working, and I still think it's really effective. The problem is it only works when we play an opposition that lets it work.

Three of the four goals against the Nix in the 4-3 win came from either wide players running into the channels and being played in behind the fullbacks, or long balls to forwards who can get one on one with an isolated centre back. That worked because they gave us the space in behind to make it work. Against Perth they played a suicidal high line which meant every time they turned the ball over we could play a quick long ball and get in behind. If Ibini was better at playing the offside trap we would have put six through them. Even our goal against City was from a good counter press high up the pitch which won the ball back. We didn't get there through patient build up.

But against Adelaide, City and for most of the game last night against the Mariners, they sat deeper which forced us to play through them. Since we seem incapable of doing that we just go side to side until a wingback gets into enough space to try to go around their fullback to cross. We're easy to defend against and when we get stuck it feels like Robbo doesn't change how we play, he just throws like for like subs on and hopes one of them will make it work. Quick players like Kamau and Yeboah coming on with fresh legs against tired defenders isn't really a tactical change, it's just relying on individual ability and freshness to break the line or get a shot in.

It also feels like other managers make small changes as the game progresses. We were dominating Brisbane for the first 20 mins but they got themselves back into the game and were the better side for most of the game. That could have been the players picking up their game but it seems like whenever we're on top of a game the opposition can take back control. We only seem to turn a game our way when we're losing and the opposition sits back to hold the lead.

I don't expect a manager that changes formation to suit every opponent, you need to have a core way of playing, but we seem to try the same thing every week just with rotating personnel.

13 hours ago, Davo said:

....Three of the four goals against the Nix in the 4-3 win came from either wide players running into the channels and being played in behind the fullbacks, or long balls to forwards who can get one on one with an isolated centre back. That worked because they gave us the space in behind to make it work. Against Perth they played a suicidal high line which meant every time they turned the ball over we could play a quick long ball and get in behind. If Ibini was better at playing the offside trap we would have put six through them. Even our goal against City was from a good counter press high up the pitch which won the ball back. We didn't get there through patient build up.

But against Adelaide, City and for most of the game last night against the Mariners, they sat deeper which forced us to play through them. Since we seem incapable of doing that we just go side to side until a wingback gets into enough space to try to go around their fullback to cross. We're easy to defend against and when we get stuck it feels like Robbo doesn't change how we play, he just throws like for like subs on and hopes one of them will make it work. Quick players like Kamau and Yeboah coming on with fresh legs against tired defenders isn't really a tactical change, it's just relying on individual ability and freshness to break the line or get a shot in.

It also feels like other managers make small changes as the game progresses. We were dominating Brisbane for the first 20 mins but they got themselves back into the game and were the better side for most of the game......

I don't expect a manager that changes formation to suit every opponent, you need to have a core way of playing, but we seem to try the same thing every week just with rotating personnel.

I'm constantly FASCINATED at the level of close analysis you men are able to apply to a game.

I do understand all you observe above (just :lol:), but I'm interested to know what other tactical options a manager/team has, besides what you describe as the two successful strategies mentioned in the first paragraph I quoted.

Is it getting better at "playing through them"? What else?

Genuine question... for when any of you have time.

PS I can analyse poetry well...but football is more complicated! :lol:

49 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I'm constantly FASCINATED at the level of close analysis you men are able to apply to a game.

I do understand all you observe above (just :lol:), but I'm interested to know what other tactical options a manager/team has, besides what you describe as the two successful strategies mentioned in the first paragraph I quoted.

Is it getting better at "playing through them"? What else?

Genuine question... for when any of you have time.

PS I can analyse poetry well...but football is more complicated! :lol:

Let’s get real
It’s not that WSW
Failed to deliver on passes
It’s all down to the fact
Robbo needs a pair of glasses.

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion & Sackwatch