Carl Robinson Discussion

19 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Let’s be honest, that was 100% the players individual and collective efforts that won the game simply by digging deep. Still nothing in the way of tactical versatility. We were blatantly exposed every time Sydney broke and had to desperately scramble.

Are tactics/strategy/the manager really the issue, and the difference....or the level of skill of the players?

We came away win a win due to "digging deep" and being desperate, due to a bit of luck (Bobo  missing a penalty) and due to the influence of the supporters (I think).

The calibre of the FC players looked, to me, to be on another level to ours.

Thoughts??

9 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Are tactics/strategy/the manager really the issue, and the difference....or the level of skill of the players?

We came away win a win due to "digging deep" and being desperate, due to a bit of luck (Bobo  missing a penalty) and due to the influence of the supporters (I think).

Thoughts??

Unsurprisingly I disagree 

They have played in the same system with the same core squad for many seasons, added that they have won those big games. In short as a squad they know what they are doing.

We have swapped and changed season on season and week upon week. Tonight’s line up when it came through in SMS, my first thought was that he picks the team out of a hat.

The formation was new, we have barely if at all player 4 2 3 1 under CR. 

I don’t really think the “Calibre” of the individual Shellveyville players (ninkovic aside) is that much higher.

But as a team they are still performing ahead of us. My CR frustration is that we are currently less than the sum of our parts not more

Lets give some credit to our players Kamau, Natta, Mutch Duke were excellent last night 

Talk about calibre, Kamau was the most threatening player on the pitch 

30 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Thoughts??

I don’t think Corica is a much better manager than Robinson tbh, he doesn’t seem capable of tactical adaptability either. It’s often a criticism I hear from mates who follow the smurfs.

Sydney definitely have a more complete team in terms of quality and sharpness but effort will always beat skill IMO and that was displayed last night.

I though Sydney were trying too hard to be tough and just carried on like morons. McGowan who is usually very solid for them seemed more interested in crunching our forward line to make a statement which just left him wildly diving into everything unnecessarily.

11 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I don’t think Corica is a much better manager than Robinson tbh, he doesn’t seem capable of tactical adaptability either. It’s often a criticism I hear from mates who follow the smurfs.

Sydney definitely have a more complete team in terms of quality and sharpness but effort will always beat skill IMO and that was displayed last night.

I though Sydney were trying too hard to be tough and just carried on like morons. McGowan who is usually very solid for them seemed more interested in crunching our forward line to make a statement which just left him wildly diving into everything unnecessarily.

Corica is just living off Arnie's legacy

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Let’s be honest, that was 100% the players individual and collective efforts that won the game simply by digging deep. Still nothing in the way of tactical versatility. We were blatantly exposed every time Sydney broke and had to desperately scramble.

You may be right, but in the post game Carl did say that Sydney are a good team and we were not going to outplay them, so the plan was always to sit back and hit them on the counter which is exactly how we got the first 2 goals.

Commentators also rightly pointed out that the Smurf defenders are slow, and whenever their fullbacks pushed up we played the ball behind and exposed them.

I think we did dig deep and scrambled well in defense, but its a bit unfair to Carl to say there was no plan, especially in going forward.

18 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Yeah that was a weird decision. They’re the better side and have the most to lose if it deviates from a run of the mill fixture.

I get why we would try to put them off their game but I don’t get why any opponent would watch us against Victory and want to put us off that game.

And what have we learned from the derby?

It sure makes a difference if you take your chances upfront and avoid stupid mistakes at the back.

After the VIC game it looked as if CR's authority with the team might have taken a hit. Duke's pre game comments and the derby performance would suggest otherwise.

It is to CR's credit that he adjusted the tactics and opted for a defensive approach. CR set the trap, and the Smurfs stepped into it. Going by the results in recent weeks, had we tried to match the Smurfs with a more open game plan we would have paid the price.

The Smurfs have been playing their brand of football ever since Arnie took over. They avoided wholesale changes, and look slick. That we were able to beat them at this stage in the season with a lineup that had never played in this setup and formation before is quite an achievement. Mind you, on a different day Bobo would have single-handedly finished us off.

Mutch, Troisi, Ibini, Duke provide control in midfield and further up, Yeboah Baccus Russell not so much.

Even if Scotty Mcs goal against the Smurfs turns out his only contribution this season then his signing will have been worthwhile. I for my part hope he'll stay beyond this season, he is class.

Ziegler > McGowan

We need a quality LB, CB, and AM alternative for Troisi. Mueller, Yeboah, Cancar, Grozos, JoD, Cox all seem gone. ??? behind Ziegler, McGowan, Scotty Mc, Mutch, Duke.

21 minutes ago, FCB said:

It sure makes a difference if you take your chances upfront and avoid stupid mistakes at the back.

It sure does, however can we continue in this vein in the coming weeks? Our inconsistent and poor form (excluding sat last) may suggest otherwise, I think next sat game will give us a good indication.

3 hours ago, Ossified said:

It sure does, however can we continue in this vein in the coming weeks? Our inconsistent and poor form (excluding sat last) may suggest otherwise, I think next sat game will give us a good indication.

If we cannot back this up Saturday we are done for the season. We need a run of wins to make the 6.

Next game is another big test. Carlo has bought himself a bit of credit, not to be wasted.

4 hours ago, Keithie said:

Robbo is quiet on the press conference front this week and was bit narky at the post match press conference last Saturday , is he sulking a little after the press questioned whether he should have a job still before the derby. 

If you don't get the results then the pressure will come and questions asked. Up to him to prove the critic's wrong isn't it. Right that he was put under the spot light pre derby following the MV debacle.

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If you don't get the results then the pressure will come and questions asked. Up to him to prove the critic's wrong isn't it. Right that he was put under the spot light pre derby following the MV debacle.

9 Teams chasing 6 spots.

I think we play two teams below us on points.....Perth & Wellington..

The rest are above us......WU, Syd, Roar, Adl.

We will see what we are made of. 

Beat Perth and Wellington and that probably kills any chance of them making finals.

WU and Roar are must win because they both have so many games in hand. If we beat WU tomorrow we'll be three points ahead of them and they'll have one game in hand on us. Brisbane have a brutal run in, playing City twice, CCM and Adelaide as part of 6 games in 22 days. We play them last so hopefully they'll have dropped a bunch of points, be in terrible form and exhausted.

Happy with anything we can get out of ESFC and Adelaide, although keeping the derby undefeated run going is important.

Coming off a derby win and a 5-0 hammering with an 8 day turn around, against a team lining up for its 3rd game in 7 days. To be beaten 5-1 and look barely competitive is just mind boggling. 

Thanks for your time Carl but it’s time to go.

Just now, hughsey said:

Coming off a derby win and a 5-0 hammering with an 8 day turn around, against a team lining up for its 3rd game in 7 days. To be beaten 5-1 and look barely competitive is just mind boggling. 

Thanks for your time Carl but it’s time to go.

Ooops!

You posted as I posted mine above!

You...and Whacko were top of my list of "most likely" visitors here.

Just now, wendybr said:

Ooops!

You posted as I posted mine above!

You...and Whacko were top of my list of "most likely" visitors here.

I originally came here to make my post but I put it in the post game thread instead.

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

:search:Surprised no one's made his way here yet?

I think we were all just too tired, I know i was lol

CR yet again is in a position where he is 1 bad derby result from the sack, groundhog day.

It just cannot carry on like this, something has to be done!

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic