Jump to content

Trains, Transport & Infrastructure


Midfielder

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Okie dokie. It's the green I remember. Because I didn't get a seat on my latest trip that I mentioned earlier, I probably didn't notice the new brilliant purple colour.

Yeah the V-sets used to be the olive green, before changing to the purple colour (fun fact - the colour is called "Bush Plum"!) - around 7 years ago. 

Link to post
31 minutes ago, marron said:

Now I am having a memory though of still seeing the green and being surprised maybe on a trip to newcastle although I don't remember when that was.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSW_TrainLink_V_set#:~:text=Contents. 1 1.1 Orders and Contracts. 2 1.2,and the rest of DIT cars. More items

Overhauls[edit]

During 1993, the distinctive gold tinted windows were replaced by charcoal ones.[7] Starting in May 1995 the earlier carriages were overhauled by A Goninan & Co, Broadmeadow as part of the CityDecker program. This saw the DCMs receive driver's cab air conditioning, destination indicators and ditchlights where not already fitted.[8][9] The fibreglass end was repainted grey and yellow. This was later changed to blue and yellow.

Eventually all cars were put through the program with those with yellow interiors being refurbished in the same cream interior with green seats style as the older cars.

On 1 July 2013, a refurbishment of the remaining 200 cars was announced as part of the NSW TrainLink and Sydney Trains restructure and branding. The refurbishment most notably includes new carpets and seat covers themed in 'Bush Plum'. The external livery of the trains are also changed to a grey, red and yellow scheme.[10]

Link to post
53 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

I used to get a train from Campbelltown to Picton to meet up with a friend that lives in The Oaks and would have to use the Southern Highlands trains. Personally, I feel they are the best trains. They are so comfy and quiet inside the carriages.

I remember one day I've fallen asleep from Picton to Campbelltown and the train guard had to wake me up and get off the train. I'm so lucky it was at Campbelltown and not heading to Picton otherwise I could of ended up in Goulburn.

Here's what they look like inside in case you haven't seen it

Endeavour railcar cityrail.jpg

And what they look like outside:

25912171977_8a7c1e53a8_b.jpg

Some are 4 carriages as well but mostly 2 carriages. I think the 4 carriages have toilets in them if I recall.

I think the Bathurst Bullet which I sometimes get is like those, and yeah I've caught that to Picton myself although I don't remember what it was like it was years ago. But going up the mountain it shakes like the blazes are is squeaky as hell, I usually regret it :lol:

 

Yes of course the red rattlers and the silver ones too, with the doors that just banged open while it was going.

Dad used to get a steam train to school from, I guess Liverpool to Granville, that was in the 60s.

 

Link to post

I have two regrets in my life. Both very nerdy.

I chose a career in building, which I have really enjoyed, but I regret not having chosen either a career in meteorology or, being a train driver.

It's why I follow the weather and meteorology in general, religiously, and also watch shitty youtube videos like this......

 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, MathyouWSW said:

I used to get a train from Campbelltown to Picton to meet up with a friend that lives in The Oaks and would have to use the Southern Highlands trains. Personally, I feel they are the best trains. They are so comfy and quiet inside the carriages.

I remember one day I've fallen asleep from Picton to Campbelltown and the train guard had to wake me up and get off the train. I'm so lucky it was at Campbelltown and not heading to Picton otherwise I could of ended up in Goulburn.

Here's what they look like inside in case you haven't seen it

Endeavour railcar cityrail.jpg

And what they look like outside:

25912171977_8a7c1e53a8_b.jpg

Some are 4 carriages as well but mostly 2 carriages. I think the 4 carriages have toilets in them if I recall.

Ahhhh, The Explorers they were called.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I have two regrets in my life. Both very nerdy.

I chose a career in building, which I have really enjoyed, but I regret not having chosen either a career in meteorology or, being a train driver.

It's why I follow the weather and meteorology in general, religiously, and also watch shitty youtube videos like this......

 

 

I know that like me you stood at the front of the new metro trains and pretended to be the driver :D

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I know that like me you stood at the front of the new metro trains and pretended to be the driver :D

 

Ah well, you are partly right.

I indeed did stand at the front of the Metro trains but certainly didn't pretend to be operating controls. All the 4 year old's were doing that and I was reluctant to join them. :)

Link to post
19 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

 

Ah well, you are partly right.

I indeed did stand at the front of the Metro trains but certainly didn't pretend to be operating controls. All the 4 year old's were doing that and I was reluctant to join them. :)

I wasn’t so reluctant :D toot tooooot :D

Spoiler
Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Oh yeh. They were the ants pants. No better or more comfortable than the old red rattlers but they were silver so they were cool!!! :lol:

 

11 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

They were much, much better than the red rattlers I remember.

And the red rattlers were much cooler, in fact they were bleeding freezing whether the hot water containers under the seats were there or not!

Link to post
58 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I know that like me you stood at the front of the new metro trains and pretended to be the driver :D

That’s me too haha!!! :D

I work in Macquarie Park so did part of the line on my lunch break when the line first opened!  I still haven’t done the full trip out to Tallawong though. 

Link to post
10 minutes ago, 102megan said:

That’s me too haha!!! :D

I work in Macquarie Park so did part of the line on my lunch break when the line first opened!  I still haven’t done the full trip out to Tallawong though. 

FFS! Where's your passion??? I did that on the opening day, from Tallawong to Chatswood and back again, with about 10 million others.

I bashed my way to the drivers cab!! :)

It was fun stabbing young kids in the eyes with my car key or kicking their feet out from underneath them, just to get to the front of the train.

Only joking. I was very polite. :)

Link to post
28 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

FFS! Where's your passion??? I did that on the opening day, from Tallawong to Chatswood and back again, with about 10 million others.

I bashed my way to the drivers cab!! :)

It was fun stabbing young kids in the eyes with my car key or kicking their feet out from underneath them, just to get to the front of the train.

Only joking. I was very polite. :)

I was one of the 10 million too! :lol:

Link to post
2 hours ago, Midfielder said:

This guy is a train nut or master or genius but have a look and you can explore what he has and its where the above vid comes from... 

https://www.youtube.com/user/sydneytrainsvlogs

His vlog on the 3801 brings back memories.

I was on my way home from work. I was getting a train from Sefton to Liverpool and there heaps of people standing at the train station with camera and camcorders. I was thinking to myself "what the f*ck is going on?!"  the train's whistle went off, you could hear it from Birrong, that's how loud it is. As soon as everyone heard it, they were all getting ready and setting up for it's arrival at Sefton.

I have to say, the train really needs a nice re-furbish. Slap on some nice racing green and it'll look amazing.

Link to post
On 28/11/2020 at 2:31 AM, marron said:

If I was a photographer documenting urban change I would spend a while at Auburn station actually, there's some great shots to be had of the victorian shopfronts with the 21st century apartments behind them.

hmmmmm sounds like a dubious excuse someone would give when approached about taking photos in a public place.......

Link to post
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

hmmmmm sounds like a dubious excuse someone would give when approached about taking photos in a public place.......

Lol.

 

I know you're taking the piss, but culturally, I find Auburn a fascinating place. The same as somewhere like Cabramatta. The concentration of a particular demographic in certain areas adds such a diversity of culture to this city that most bogan Aussies never get to see. (For example...…(Bogan Bruce lives in Kings Langley and he loves his old Holden Monaro, Kingswood or Commodore). He'd rather spend all weekend under the bonnet of the XU-1. 

Each to their own. However, I so much love exploring this city. Auburn, Cabramatta, Petersham etc.... are great days out for wandering streets and sampling food..

I would also like to visit the restaurants and supermarkets around Lakemba one day.  Haven't done it yet. It's on my "To do" list.

Link to post
  • mack changed the title to Trains, Transport & Infrastructure

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...