Trains, Transport & Infrastructure

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What do you think Marron? Connecting the Blackheath and Mt Victoria tunnels together to make an 11k tunnel....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/blue-mountains-tunnel-proposal-longest-in-australia/100111766

I  guess it depends on where the vent stacks would be.

Just go the whole way and tunnel from Emu Plains to Hartley lol

Firstly, this is a train thread. Maybe we need an infrastructure thread or we adjust this title to take in all infrastructure. It's certainly a topic worth discusing?

Anyway, that story is so full of innaccuracies. 

An 11km tunnel would not be the longest in Australia. That title will go to the planned and soon under construction West Harbour Tunnel project, which, when completed and the extension to Seaforth is done will be the longest in the world. All in the planning stages. Some, already under construction.

Sydney will have the longest road tunnel in the world and by far have the most underground motorways of any city anywhere in the world.

9T6HA0I.png

3 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Firstly, this is a train thread. Maybe we need an infrastructure thread or we adjust this title to take in all infrastructure. It's certainly a topic worth discusing?

Anyway, that story is so full of innaccuracies. 

An 11km tunnel would not be the longest in Australia. That title will go to the planned and soon under construction West Harbour Tunnel project, which, when completed and the extension to Seaforth is done will be the longest in the world. All in the planning stages. Some, already under construction.

Sydney will have the longest road tunnel in the world and by far have the most underground motorways of any city anywhere in the world.

9T6HA0I.png

Just make this the transport / infrastructure thread.

• mack changed the title to Trains, Transport & Infrastructure
15 hours ago, marron said:

As long as no-one loses their houses I'm okay.

Because of ****wit baby boomers and Xers airbnbing their investment properties if you lose your house here you're basically going to have to find somewhere completely different to live.

Also and to explain I will use SpaceX in Texas as my example...

SpaceX wanted to build a factory to build rockets and launch facilities, and they needed to be next to the ocean...

Elon Musk found  the place, small town about 500 people lived their in say around 120 or so homes...

The town was near nowhere and the houses were cheap... but also on a beach with nice weather.

As the SpaceX factory expanded and the launches from the SpaceX facility were increasing with the town often needing to be closed done Elon Musk wrote to the home owners saying he would buy them out at double the valuation of their homes... many sold some did not... he then offered 2.5 and I think 3 times the hose value and still a few have refused to sell...

The reason and why Marron's point is so valid is the people in the town said we cannot buy anywhere else with a similar outlook i.e beach side location in a quite town for anything like the buy out... its not you are paying so much over the valuation its we can't get anything similar with what you are offering...

So if a home is lost the payout has to enable those forced to sell to buy similar.. 

6 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Also and to explain I will use SpaceX in Texas as my example...

SpaceX wanted to build a factory to build rockets and launch facilities, and they needed to be next to the ocean...

Elon Musk found  the place, small town about 500 people lived their in say around 120 or so homes...

The town was near nowhere and the houses were cheap... but also on a beach with nice weather.

As the SpaceX factory expanded and the launches from the SpaceX facility were increasing with the town often needing to be closed done Elon Musk wrote to the home owners saying he would buy them out at double the valuation of their homes... many sold some did not... he then offered 2.5 and I think 3 times the hose value and still a few have refused to sell...

The reason and why Marron's point is so valid is the people in the town said we cannot buy anywhere else with a similar outlook i.e beach side location in a quite town for anything like the buy out... its not you are paying so much over the valuation its we can't get anything similar with what you are offering...

So if a home is lost the payout has to enable those forced to sell to buy similar.. 

Didn’t Elon Musk say he could build a tunnel right through the Blue Mountains? Think it was him...

Maybe I’m being cynical but I feel like the existing road will become some sort of scenic tourist drive so it won’t be maintained as a main thoroughfare, making it unsuitable for commuters. At the same time they’ll pay for the tunnel by putting a huge toll on it so the only choices will be a back road or paying a fortune.

6 minutes ago, Davo said:

Maybe I’m being cynical but I feel like the existing road will become some sort of scenic tourist drive so it won’t be maintained as a main thoroughfare, making it unsuitable for commuters. At the same time they’ll pay for the tunnel by putting a huge toll on it so the only choices will be a back road or paying a fortune.

It won’t stop the the Sunday drivers and visitors to Blackheath that Marron loves so much :D

But will remove the big trucks.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Didn’t Elon Musk say he could build a tunnel right through the Blue Mountains? Think it was him...

He did and his company is becoming a world leader in new tunnel development .... he has cut cost hugely I watched an engineering channel study what he was doing and his ideas cut costs without any risk and its said he can build a tunnel cheaper than a surface road ....

Given the theme has changed from trains to include infrastructure... so we have discussed Trains, Roads so now planes...

Second Sydney airport.... can we keep  the corruption issues to other threads and just have this one on the building of the airport, train & road links.

As an aside the train connection from the airport to St Mary's is OK, for me I always believed they needed to connect by rail into the Parramatta transport interchange so connecting with the new Metro from Westmead I think to Central...

But to start the second airport discussion...

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

As an aside the train connection from the airport to St Mary's is OK, for me I always believed they needed to connect by rail into the Parramatta transport interchange so connecting with the new Metro from Westmead I think to Central...

convert (or build alongside) the heavy rail from bankstown into metro, then on to leppington and onto the airport, connect that to st marys and on up to tallawong to complete one big metro loop. connect the parra metro to castle hill or norwest, as well as connecting the parra metro to glenfield. 

that would give you a north western, a south western and a greater western loop, all with easy access to both airports, both major CBDs, and all major heavy rail routes.

also, why the fcuck didn't they make the current terminus of the existing metro at schofields? its five minutes down the road from Tallawong, and would connect to the existing heavy rail. absolute bellends.

1 hour ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

why the fcuck didn't they make the current terminus of the existing metro at schofields? its five minutes down the road from Tallawong, and would connect to the existing heavy rail. absolute bellends.

At a guess I'd assume it was cheaper and easier (politically) to acquire basically farm land/a few properties rather than a more established area. Plus having to re-do the roads and infrastructure around the existing station. It's still pretty short sighted.

Moving a little away from the subject at hand but still on train transport. For those of us who live anywhere south of Glenfield railway station and wish to travel to Parramatta, Blactown and further ie for a Wanderers game or maybe for work one has to catch 3 different trains. Macarthur to Glenfield, Glenfield to Granville then Granville to Parra.

Now this is 2021 and here we are having to put up with this ludicrous and archaic railway system and connection between 2 major metropolitan centers in Sydney. Quite frankly it's ******* disgraceful and embarrassing. Oh, and to make things nice and easy for you one has only to walk for 15 minutes or so from your car to get to your train for your disjointed trip.

I would be happy if Syd trains were to exit the 19th century before attempting to enter into the 21st

37 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Moving a little away from the subject at hand but still on train transport. For those of us who live anywhere south of Glenfield railway station and wish to travel to Parramatta, Blactown and further ie for a Wanderers game or maybe for work one has to catch 3 different trains. Macarthur to Glenfield, Glenfield to Granville then Granville to Parra.

Now this is 2021 and here we are having to put up with this ludicrous and archaic railway system and connection between 2 major metropolitan centers in Sydney. Quite frankly it's ******* disgraceful and embarrassing. Oh, and to make things nice and easy for you one has only to walk for 15 minutes or so from your car to get to your train for your disjointed trip.

I would be happy if Syd trains were to exit the 19th century before attempting to enter into the 21st

99% sure there are services that run from leppington to schofields. 

7 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

99% sure there are services that run from leppington to schofields. 

Try getting one to a WSW game and back again on a sat or sun, they don't run. And if coming from Macarthur anytime and miss a connection due to a late train then your late. Overall just very poor.

59 minutes ago, Ossified said:

I still can't believe that in 2021 if you wanted to get from Epping to Parramatta by rail you still have to go all they way down to Strathfield and change. They could at least have sent the Parra - Carlo light rail as far as Epping.

Its just amusing that when the Carlo line was built in the late 1800's the intention was to go through to Epping. At yet here we are and still no link...STILL they end a new line at Carlo lol

Edited by Smoggy

The train and tram system mistakes make by various NSW governments since the end of WW11 would make a mega long list...

The tearing up the trams in the 60's to make way for cars... at the time the Trams moved more than the trains... buses were suppose to replace the trams to make it easier for cars...

Some of the line closures ... arguably the biggest stuff up was the Westmead to Rogans Hill was closed... even if you kept the rail line for a future build...

Arguably the biggest road stuff up... the new road at the Time connecting I think it was Rooty Hill and Strathfield ... latter extended to Emu Plains....anyWho the road corridors to extend from Rooty Hill to Emu Plains and from Strathfield to the city were purchased and it was a matter of finding the cash to extend the road...   at some time around the late 70's early 80's the trains had so little maintenance and the rail lines that the trains were often breaking down and or urgent track work was needed... So the gov of the day sold all the land corridor from Strathfield to the city including the land purchased for fly overs etc to pay to repair the train lines... it balanced the books I suppose... 

49 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I love Paul's videos and passion but geez, he needs to do a bit more research before making them.

So many errors in his assumptions of his site visits, and so little information about current construction that is actually common knowledge if searched on the correct websites.