Trains, Transport & Infrastructure

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Speaking of evolution...the old v sets will be gone soon...no more fake leather bright purple seats and carpets on the floor. I bet Marron has been equivalent of round the ******* word sat in one of these....

See the source image

No more manually pulling the doors open.....

Um yeah I just did the back of envelope maths and i reckon I've done it twice. Now I'm ****en depressed. :lol:

Comfy seats that flip. Don't know how I'm going to get any ****en work done on these hard backed things made for 10 minute korean commutes ffs.

Also went to Parramatta for the first time in ages a few weeks ago. What a ******* mess! Especially the eat street area. 

Getting the tram line sorted is major work isn't it. I have mainly seen progress from the Carlo end which is much more straightforward.

Second stage from Parra to Olympic Park has been scrapped.

16 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Speaking of evolution...the old v sets will be gone soon...no more fake leather bright purple seats and carpets on the floor. I bet Marron has been equivalent of round the ******* word sat in one of these....

See the source image

I really like those trains. I remember when they were green... oh boy

35 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What the vid missed was the Kurrajong line that extended from Richmond.

Really never knew there was a kurrajong line.

When I was at richmond High the train was an old diesel red-rattler from Richmond to Rivo and it was a single line that used to have to wait for the train in other direction to pass 

44 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

When I was at richmond High the train was an old diesel red-rattler from Richmond to Rivo and it was a single line that used to have to wait for the train in other direction to pass 

Been there, done that, late night, wrong train, I should be home any day now .....

39 minutes ago, 102megan said:

Oooooh I’m going to like this thread. 

Hope the conversation stays  on track.   :D

But I’m annoyed the initial video says the Carlo (Carlingford) Line closed in 2019.  Because it closed in 2020! (the start of this awful year!) 

Indeed it did, it was the day Penrith hit 50c the day Carlo line closed in Jan.

56 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Kurrajong line washed out in the floods of 1952 and never reopened apparently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond–Kurrajong_railway_line

See the source image

Edited by Smoggy
21 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Speaking of evolution...the old v sets will be gone soon...no more fake leather bright purple seats and carpets on the floor. 

See the source image

I'll be sad to see the V sets gone. They were "looxury" in their day. Very quiet and comfortable trains. And I also remember the green faux leather trim. It think that was the most recent colour, (not sure), but I also remember the olive purple from this picture. They were great trains. Even had dunnies!!!

My last memory of a trip on one was an away trip to Newcastle in either season 2 or 3. The timetable frequency was pretty poor in those days, so the train was packed with regular commuters.

Caught the train from Epping. Couldn't get a seat, so had to stand in the doorway entry compartment, near the toilet. When we started to head down towards the Hawkesbury River, it was evident that the adjacent toilet was blocked, and small waves of water that contained, ahhhmm, "contaminants", started rushing from beneath the door. I quickly curtailed it to the next carriage. It was then that I thought, mmmmm, maybe it's about time these 50 year old trains are retired. :)

Anyway, I'll always have a soft spot for these. They were brilliant in their day.

The replacements are actually rather classy, with usb charging points and plenty of electronic signage. I'm just not convinced they'll have the same comfort levels, despite my above story.

I once caught the XPT to Dubbo First Class, and these V sets were far comfortable than those heap of shite trains.

Just now, marron said:

They were green when I was a kid. Went to purple sometime in the last 10-15 years I think. maybe a bit longer. They are still purple now.

I got the XPT a couple of times to different places and yeah will happily confirm. And I reckon the new ones will be less comfy than the XPT.

Okie dokie. It's the green I remember. Because I didn't get a seat on my latest trip that I mentioned earlier, I probably didn't notice the new brilliant purple colour.

6 minutes ago, marron said:

They were green when I was a kid. Went to purple sometime in the last 10-15 years I think. maybe a bit longer. They are still purple now.

I got the XPT a couple of times to different places and yeah will happily confirm. And I reckon the new ones will be less comfy than the XPT.

I still remember the Silver trains that were the precurser to the double deck Interurbans. They had a First and Second Class.....Toilets and drinking water in little wax cups.......lol 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_U_set#/media/File:NSW_U_set_(CF_5003)_at_the_Junee_Roundhouse_Museum.jpg

Edited by sonar
4 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Okie dokie. It's the green I remember. Because I didn't get a seat on my latest trip that I mentioned earlier, I probably didn't notice the new brilliant purple colour.

Now I am having a memory though of still seeing the green and being surprised maybe on a trip to newcastle although I don't remember when that was.

3 minutes ago, sonar said:

I still remember the Silver trains that were the precurser to the double deck Interurbans. They had a First and Second Class.....Toilets and drinking water in little wax cups.......lol 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_U_set#/media/File:NSW_U_set_(CF_5003)_at_the_Junee_Roundhouse_Museum.jpg

Remember the red rattlers.

3 minutes ago, sonar said:

I still remember the Silver trains that were the precurser to the double deck Interurbans. They had a First and Second Class.....lol 

Oh yeh. They were the ants pants. No better or more comfortable than the old red rattlers but they were silver so they were cool!!! :lol:

I used to get a train from Campbelltown to Picton to meet up with a friend that lives in The Oaks and would have to use the Southern Highlands trains. Personally, I feel they are the best trains. They are so comfy and quiet inside the carriages.

I remember one day I've fallen asleep from Picton to Campbelltown and the train guard had to wake me up and get off the train. I'm so lucky it was at Campbelltown and not heading to Picton otherwise I could of ended up in Goulburn.

Here's what they look like inside in case you haven't seen it

Endeavour railcar cityrail.jpg

And what they look like outside:

25912171977_8a7c1e53a8_b.jpg

Some are 4 carriages as well but mostly 2 carriages. I think the 4 carriages have toilets in them if I recall.

• mack changed the title to Trains, Transport & Infrastructure