A-League 20/21

Paul01

I just checked the fixture schedule for the team as it stands, we have 7 games postponed including the original Sydney Derby. As described on ATB by Tatiana the atmosphere must have so crap, the APL want the derby scheduled where there are less restrictions and the possibility of atmosphere. Of course, they didn't factor in what a s***hole Stadium Australia is.

The set of games for us are all in NSW follows:

29/01 v Newcastle (H) 7.00pm
06/02 v Macarthur (A) 7.00pm
13/02 v Heartle$$ (H) 7.00pm
21/02 v Phoenix (A) 6.00pm
27/02 v Sea-bogans (H) 5.00pm.

Lots like the APL is not expecting the border with WA or Qld to open to NSW residents in February. March looking the nightmare month

Interestingly, Heartle$$ are doing 3 games straight in NSW playing Newcastle, Sea-Poachers a few days later then us. Looks like an away tour

While I would like to blame NSW Police force for the stadium security during the derby as we usually do unfortunately the A-league isn't the only place security has been heavy with the rules.

People have been complaining about the new Bluey live shows because Adults AND Kids need to stay seated and not sing along. Mate good luck keeping a kid down during a live show, you might as well not go.

• 2 weeks later...

This has got to be one of the worst top 5's lists i've ever seen.

Kisnorbo has been terrible with City so far and is 4th on the list?

Corica inherited the best squad in the A-League and is 1st.

Alen Stajcic no where to be seen and has single handedly turned around the Mariners.

Robinson has only lost 2 in 17 A-League games, not on the list. 

https://thefootballsack.com.au/2021/02/the-five-best-coaches-in-the-a-league.html

15 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Alen Stajcic no where to be seen and has single handedly turned around the Mariners.

https://thefootballsack.com.au/2021/02/the-five-best-coaches-in-the-a-league.html

Agreed

12 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Also went and looked at their twitter and saw they think Mark Rudan is the next Socceroos boss.

They've lost the plot I think

He definitely can bring something else to the table

14 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Kisnorbo at this rate is looking at being the first coach sacked.

No Staj or Warren Moon, the list makes zero sense

Not sure where to put this...so here will do.

"AAMI Park grilled by A-League fans over Australian Open 'double standards' | Sporting News Australia" https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/football/news/aami-park-grilled-by-a-league-fans-over-australian-open-double-standards/1gw3g27w2721q194zpl8sqmd1b

🤔

3 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Afraid I reckon that goal should have been offside. If a player is standing in an off side position, makes a play at the ball or interferes in any way it affects the opposition. Just having a player in your field of vision is distracting.

In a situation like that you never know if the player is offside or not because there is so many bodies in the box.

Didn't get a good enough look at it but I agree, it definitely plays into the minds of the defenders.

This is the argument/discussion a mate and I have. He didn't change the motion of the ball or interfere with a players movement so the assumption is he's neutral.

Except that his presence in any prominent position (ie in the field of vision - here directly in front of the keeper) at minimum distracts the defenders/keeper. That is often enough. 

38 minutes ago, mack said:

In the Club World Cup final there was an identical situation that ended up being called back for offside because a player who was in an offside position got near the ball without touching it.

How can the same system with the same rules make two entirely different calls?

Because they've never explained what "having an impact on the game" means? Or have they?

The interpretation that was made last night is totally out of step with the reason the rule was changed to its current form. It was changed to stop players who were CLEARLY not involved e.g. injured and lying on the ground, or out on the sideline while a teammate scored through the middle. 

Anyone who is in an offside position inside the 18 yard box shoud be called offside. If you're inside the 18 yard box, your whole goal is having an impact on the play. If you're not, that's your own stupid fault!

The ‘chaotic’ rule change that has made the A-League so watchable

By Vince Rugari
February 15, 2021 — 4.24pm

It’s been one of the most entertaining starts to an A-League season in recent memory - and one of the biggest reasons, according to the coaches of Sydney’s three clubs, has been under our noses the whole time.

World football’s lawmakers increased the number of substitutions allowed in a match from three to five last year, in recognition of the congested schedules many competitions faced after lengthy shutdowns.

A year on from the pandemic, there is a growing view among some that the temporary change should become permanent.

Sydney FC’s Steve Corica, Western Sydney’s Carl Robinson and Macarthur FC’s Ante Milicic, who the Herald canvassed for their views on the topic, all believe the tweak has had a profound effect on the A-League well beyond the intended impact on player availability and injuries - and two see merit in keeping it long term.

Many believe the A-League’s tempo, standard and openness improved significantly when the 2019-20 season resumed last July in a Sydney hub, but few have publicly made the link to the extra subs, which have been available only through that period.

Across the final 27 games of last season and the first 39 of the 2020-21 campaign, an additional 129 players entered the fray as a team’s fourth or fifth sub - adding an energy boost to the second half of matches which helped teams prise open defences.

It also gave coaches more opportunities to blood youngsters while helping them manage the physical loads of more experienced players.

“I love it. I get the arguments against it but I’m definitely for it,” Robinson said. “That’s why you’ve seen so many entertaining second halves and so much attacking, transitional football as well. If it increases energy in the game, why would you not want that?

“I think it’s a change for the positive. With the way of the world and, as we’re moving forward in football, with the product at the forefront, I think the five-subs rule is the right way to stick moving forward.”

Substitutions were introduced to football in 1958 but the three-sub rule, which many traditionalists wish to protect, was made official only in 1995.

From 2016, a fourth sub was permitted in extra time for knockout matches in certain competitions. The International Football Associations Board (IFAB), which controls the laws of the game, is conducting trials for a separate concussion substitute in future.

Most leagues have adapted to the five-sub change but it was voted down by English Premier League clubs for this season - much to the frustration of Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp, who have campaigned hard for it.

Critics feel increasing the number of substitutions would contribute to growing inequality in football, favouring richer teams with deeper squads over smaller rivals - but last season across Europe, teams near the top of the ladder tended to use fewer subs than those at the bottom.

In the A-League, five of the top-six teams on the ladder - Macarthur, Sydney, Central Coast, Perth and Western Sydney - are also in the top six for the highest average number of substitutions a match.

“Basically, five subs, you’re changing half your team. That keeps the tempo nice and high and you can keep that up for the whole game, and I think that’s why the game hasn’t slowed down now,” Corica said.

“If we’re going to play in summertime, we should keep five subs. It’s definitely not doing any harm - it’s probably helping the game, there’s been a lot of exciting games, quite a high tempo in a lot of games and some great goals. I quite like it.”

Milicic first encountered additional substitutions during his time as an assistant coach with the Socceroos. In senior international friendlies, teams can make up to six changes.

“What I remember closely is that on most occasions, the last 30 minutes are chaos,” he said. “One part of it that is extremely difficult are set pieces, because if you’re changing five players on set pieces and the opponent’s changing five, it’s very difficult to get the roles and responsibilities right for everyone.

“Definitely it plays a part [in making games more watchable]. If you’re losing, you may as well just try something and make two, three subs - you’re losing anyway, so chuck on a few fresh faces and see what happens.”

But unlike Corica and Robinson, Milicic still heavily favours three subs over five.

“This is purely now, for this period,” he said. “It’s very difficult to have a controlled game of football - yes, it’s entertaining for the neutral fan, but at times it becomes I wouldn’t say unrealistic, but it becomes very open and unpredictable.

“I’m still a firm believer of the three subs, but that’s got to be based on the length of the season and the amount of time between each game.”

13 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

The ‘chaotic’ rule change that has made the A-League so watchable

By Vince Rugari
February 15, 2021 — 4.24pm

It’s been one of the most entertaining starts to an A-League season in recent memory - and one of the biggest reasons, according to the coaches of Sydney’s three clubs, has been under our noses the whole time.

World football’s lawmakers increased the number of substitutions allowed in a match from three to five last year, in recognition of the congested schedules many competitions faced after lengthy shutdowns.

A year on from the pandemic, there is a growing view among some that the temporary change should become permanent.

Sydney FC’s Steve Corica, Western Sydney’s Carl Robinson and Macarthur FC’s Ante Milicic, who the Herald canvassed for their views on the topic, all believe the tweak has had a profound effect on the A-League well beyond the intended impact on player availability and injuries - and two see merit in keeping it long term.

Many believe the A-League’s tempo, standard and openness improved significantly when the 2019-20 season resumed last July in a Sydney hub, but few have publicly made the link to the extra subs, which have been available only through that period.

Across the final 27 games of last season and the first 39 of the 2020-21 campaign, an additional 129 players entered the fray as a team’s fourth or fifth sub - adding an energy boost to the second half of matches which helped teams prise open defences.

It also gave coaches more opportunities to blood youngsters while helping them manage the physical loads of more experienced players.

“I love it. I get the arguments against it but I’m definitely for it,” Robinson said. “That’s why you’ve seen so many entertaining second halves and so much attacking, transitional football as well. If it increases energy in the game, why would you not want that?

“I think it’s a change for the positive. With the way of the world and, as we’re moving forward in football, with the product at the forefront, I think the five-subs rule is the right way to stick moving forward.”

Substitutions were introduced to football in 1958 but the three-sub rule, which many traditionalists wish to protect, was made official only in 1995.

From 2016, a fourth sub was permitted in extra time for knockout matches in certain competitions. The International Football Associations Board (IFAB), which controls the laws of the game, is conducting trials for a separate concussion substitute in future.

Most leagues have adapted to the five-sub change but it was voted down by English Premier League clubs for this season - much to the frustration of Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp, who have campaigned hard for it.

Critics feel increasing the number of substitutions would contribute to growing inequality in football, favouring richer teams with deeper squads over smaller rivals - but last season across Europe, teams near the top of the ladder tended to use fewer subs than those at the bottom.

In the A-League, five of the top-six teams on the ladder - Macarthur, Sydney, Central Coast, Perth and Western Sydney - are also in the top six for the highest average number of substitutions a match.

“Basically, five subs, you’re changing half your team. That keeps the tempo nice and high and you can keep that up for the whole game, and I think that’s why the game hasn’t slowed down now,” Corica said.

“If we’re going to play in summertime, we should keep five subs. It’s definitely not doing any harm - it’s probably helping the game, there’s been a lot of exciting games, quite a high tempo in a lot of games and some great goals. I quite like it.”

Milicic first encountered additional substitutions during his time as an assistant coach with the Socceroos. In senior international friendlies, teams can make up to six changes.

“What I remember closely is that on most occasions, the last 30 minutes are chaos,” he said. “One part of it that is extremely difficult are set pieces, because if you’re changing five players on set pieces and the opponent’s changing five, it’s very difficult to get the roles and responsibilities right for everyone.

“Definitely it plays a part [in making games more watchable]. If you’re losing, you may as well just try something and make two, three subs - you’re losing anyway, so chuck on a few fresh faces and see what happens.”

But unlike Corica and Robinson, Milicic still heavily favours three subs over five.

“This is purely now, for this period,” he said. “It’s very difficult to have a controlled game of football - yes, it’s entertaining for the neutral fan, but at times it becomes I wouldn’t say unrealistic, but it becomes very open and unpredictable.

“I’m still a firm believer of the three subs, but that’s got to be based on the length of the season and the amount of time between each game.”

5 subs is growing on me but the rule change I think is bigger than just A-league

I'm not sure where to put this so........

O'Donovan takes out Zeigler....gets a yellow card for it, Zeigler meanwhile has to leave the field for treatment while leaving us with 10 men.... O'Donovan stays on and Roar scores. While Zeigler is off the field O'Donovan should not be allowed on until ( in this case Zeigler ) is allowed to return. My point is that even though the opposition player was carded we were the team that got penalized. It shouldn't happen that way.

.....and now we come to this.......

In our last game against Victory Dorrans gets a yellow for a high foot against Rojas yet in the end it's Victory that pay the price because they have to use a sub and lose a player while Dorrans stays on the pitch. 

Two points.........in the case of a player being injured by foul play and has to leave for medical assistance  and the opposition player is carded for it, the opposition player has to wait on the sidelines until the player he fouls returns or ( in the case of Rojas ) Dorrans stays off until Victory get a free sub. 

I think it's unfair for a team to be basically penalised for foul play by the opposition.   Thoughts.?

Edited by sonar

I don't like the 5 sub rule , team fitness does not come into play with this rule , with 3 subs the game would open up in the last 20 minutes and the better prepared team would be in with a big chance but now we only hace to have players fit for 60 minutes not 90 or in some cases players fit for 45 minutes. not good.