Same Old Wanderers Fall To Macarthur Debut Defeat

Well my thoughts are very simple strengthen the midfield from Troisi back to the DMs was the size of a cowpaddock and we could not find a link to the forwards coming out of defense, similar problem as last year

I thought Margush handle himself well and looks looks like he could hold down that position 

As for the rest I will wait a few more games to pass judgment, hopefully we will see more of the coaches influence  , Dorrans is a far better player than we seen tonight.

we just need another strong midfielder Amini if he is not injured or Ugarkovic 

Dorrans is a different player to Schweg, looks better with the ball at his feet despite a few little **** ups he mostly fixed himself.

Federici had a great game to avoid 2-1 maybe 3-1 scoreline. 

If you go from the back;

We have no idea with Margush but decent enough early signed

a back three of Ziggy, McGowan and Tass seems to be improvement on last season. Ziggy was great tonight.

Midfield looks messy with no clear roles. I’m not sure if that’s by design. Dorrans will finds his feet. He’s been ill and confined all preseason.

Front line is without doubt improved as a whole but Cox still weighs us down heavily (pun intended) and we are missing Duke.

Aquilina was a standout in his short time. He should see off Georgie in no time if he continues that performance.

1 hour ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Don't get all the negativity around Dorrans. Thought he did well. Especially when you consider he only got out of a months worth of quarantine 5 mins ago after testing positive. 

Overall I think we look better than last year and will only improve. 

Bit of a worry up top but Bernie looked like a player who has refused to train for 6 weeks. He will come good. 

Too early to start removing your shoelaces ladies and gents. We will be ok.

Aquilina looked a player too.

Glass half full over here.

You guys should be better at losing by now...what with all the practice we have had.

Post of the night.  Well said Sir!

2 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Federici is a top goalkeeper and saved them, literally and figuratively, big time.

Great analysis, Unlimited.

And I think the fact that Federici gained so much praise for his performance also does indicate that he had to make some impressive saves- which meant our team did put him under pressure at times.

20 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Great analysis, Unlimited.

And I think the fact that Federici gained so much praise for his performance also does indicate that he had to make some impressive saves- which meant our team did put him under pressure at times.

I think I watched a different game, we didn’t give him that much to do.

6 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I think I watched a different game, we didn’t give him that much to do.

Your game watching experience was clearly colored by your beloved Yeboah coming on and doing a Yeboah :-)

Magush was forced to make one save throughout the game, Federici a few more, and he made a difference.

No, it wasn't a great display of football, and I am not sure what people were expecting. Troisi, Ibini, Dorrans arrived at the club 10 days ago or so, of course they are looking rusty. Also, it's easy to be critical of Cox, playing against the great wall of Serbia would not have been much fun.

The Bulls will be a handful, yet ultimately WSW were beaten by a deflected free kick that wasn't one, on a different day WSW will win the game.

13 minutes ago, FCB said:

Your game watching experience was clearly colored by your beloved Yeboah coming on and doing a Yeboah :-)

Magush was forced to make one save throughout the game, Federici a few more, and he made a difference.

No, it wasn't a great display of football, and I am not sure what people were expecting. Troisi, Ibini, Dorrans arrived at the club 10 days ago or so, of course they are looking rusty. Also, it's easy to be critical of Cox, playing against the great wall of Serbia would not have been much fun.

The Bulls will be a handful, yet ultimately WSW were beaten by a deflected free kick that wasn't one, on a different day WSW will win the game.

Yeah, I'm okay with the result. Would prefer to have won but we're still being stitched together so we're not a finished product yet. Also that defender on Cox was touching him so often he should have bought him dinner. There was a fair few holding back of players and shirt pulling incidents perpetrated by Macarthur that went unpunished by that ref. IMO.

Its early days,  I'm cautiously optimistic. Let's see in another 4-5 games. Maybe I'll join the Doom n Gloom squad then. We will see.

To be honest it wasn't a bad general performance from the team we had moments but we really need a striker. We have not replaced Duke and from what I saw if Carl wants to play Cox up front on his own we are in trouble completely marked out of the game. We need more from Troisi qnd Ibini it just was not enough and sluggish. Especially Ibini geez the guy has a touch that made Majok look like Maradona and lazy in defence. Would prefer Muller of Ibini is gonna give that kind of performance

10 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Yeah, I'm okay with the result. Would prefer to have won but we're still being stitched together so we're not a finished product yet. Also that defender on Cox was touching him so often he should have bought him dinner. There was a fair few holding back of players and shirt pulling incidents perpetrated by Macarthur that went unpunished by that ref. IMO.

Its early days,  I'm cautiously optimistic. Let's see in another 4-5 games. Maybe I'll join the Doom n Gloom squad then. We will see.

I don't think it's a doom and gloom squad but more that folks are extremely frustrated with how we have been playing over the past three seasons at least. A new manager comes in and promises things will change then comes the time to walk the walk and we find out we're playing on crutches.

There were some good signs against Macarthur, but we really do need to win games or we end up chasing our own tails.....again. 

We need a gun striker with pace.

Edited by sonar
6 hours ago, mack said:

I think he made one really good save off Baccus. Everything else was pretty routine for an A-League level keeper.

You say that but week in week out we see simple stuff hit the back of the net. Feds is a clear standout. Lesser keepers will make mistakes in those positions.

Even if we say only 1 was a real stunner, we forced 4 saves out of Feds. Margush was bested by Milligan’s arse. Other than that there was no threat on goal, though mostly because Najjar couldn’t head a ball to save his life

Our last three seasons.....( not including 20/21 )

Games 80

Won   23

Drawn   21

Lost   36

Was there any interviews by the manager after the game last night....?

Edited by sonar
7 hours ago, mack said:

I think he made one really good save off Baccus. Everything else was pretty routine for an A-League level keeper.

This

our nability to score was on us, we either didn’t take the shot, hit it straight at him (Cox) or tripped over are own feet (yeboah) 

We will struggle without a proper striker 

15 minutes ago, sonar said:

Our last three seasons.....( not including 20/21 )

Games 80

Won   23

Drawn   21

Lost   36

Was there any interviews by the manager after the game last night....?

Yes there was.....he thinks the freekick was not a freekick and we were unlucky with the deflection. He also knew some players were underdone as they haven't played for a long time.

1 minute ago, tardotz said:

Yes there was.....he thinks the freekick was not a freekick and we were unlucky with the deflection. He also knew some players were underdone as they haven't played for a long time.

:good:

Thanks.

It showed we were underdone. Things can only get better. ( I hope )

Edited by sonar

Looks like the VAR this season is going to be a bigger problem than before. For our penalty, I cannot see how anyone can decide for or against with those two camera angles. Not sure if this was part of the cost cutting but how you can overturn a decision when it's not clear on camera its ridiculous. When inconclusive they should always go with the initial refs call.

1 minute ago, tardotz said:

Looks like the VAR this season is going to be a bigger problem than before. For our penalty, I cannot see how anyone can decide for or against with those two camera angles. Not sure if this was part of the cost cutting but how you can overturn a decision when it's not clear on camera its ridiculous. When inconclusive they should always go with the initial refs call.

Georgeivski last season bought his hands to his chest as protection and got penalized............last night the Macarthur player wasn't. Inconsistency in rule interpretation. 

I'm not going to join the doom and gloom merchants just yet (and there are far more on FB than here!!) as there were certainly encouraging signs even though the Bulls were marginally better on the night. We had some decent passages of play at times, something not really seen last season even when we were winning at the start.

Must admit I didn't expect Dorrans or Ibini to start as they have not had the best of pre-season build ups but maybe the boss decided to take that risk. Both were disappointing but I'm fairly confident that we will see better from them as the season progresses. Baccus didn't start that well but grew as the game went on as it appeared that he had more work to do as Dorrans wasn't really effective. Tate Russell was probably our best and I did read that he had a minor injury when he was subbed. Biggest worry for me was Cox; I really want him to do well and he certainly looks fitter but he still appears to lumber around for most of the game. No other real shockers but our formation did lead to the Bulls having too much space at times.

2 minutes ago, xposedPatricK said:

Everytime Murgash had a goal kick, fox would show a reply then when it was back live, Macarthur would have possession. 

I noticed that, particularly in the second half....there was one instance when they were too busy showing Muller's new hair style/colour. Fox's coverage is going to be that much more painful this season without Simon Hill.