Newcastle Conquered On Robinson Return

not quite the usual away day at newy but a good day out and wonderful to catch up with some of my wanderers family. On the match.....

- muller is critical. he has the ability to find those little spaces to receive the ball and then has the technical ability to keep it. we were a completely different prospect to last week when we couldn't get it to stick at all. take him off and we were back to hit and hope in that last 15. as stringer said a couple of times to me at the game - too many athletes and not enough footballers in that last 15 minutes.

- you could see it a bit last week too but Tate's physical attributes are made for that wing back role - he is just on a different level physically to the guys he is up against and if his decision making is like it was last night he will be a proper player.

- troisi did a really good job when we were defending. in the first 5 min they were overloading out wide and robinson shifted troisi wider to support and he made a big difference. little coaching moves like that can make a big difference at times.

- VAR is still trash. i don't care if it favours us for the next 10 games and gifts us a derby win - I would still (and always have) want it gone from the game. if the flag just goes up for offside on the muller goal you could accept it - might be mad but you would just say ah well it was close and we never would have gotten to the ball going in the net. but to have us celebrate a wonder goal and then be made to look like idiots when VAR chalks it off for a very very marginal offside it just the opposite of what football should be about.

- the new guy better not take baby baccus out of the team - he was good i thought.

have to be pleased with what we saw overall - should have been more comfortable really and not had to endure that last 15 minutes but that is football - jets are not good though so we shouldn't get too excited.

Edited by lloydy136

For the last 10 mins I flicked over to CNN to watch the fabulous new drama series called America: A Leopard Ate My Face....... and flicked back to see we retained our lead.

But that is the last time. Team will have to win with out me missing the games!   (EmMac)

2 hours ago, EmMac said:

From what I saw :ninja: we looked likely to actually do something when we had the ball. That's more positive than last game and frankly the last few seasons. Onwards

Your not allowed to watch anymore.   :lol:

Mueller MOTM for me. His body language throughout and after the game would suggest that he is fully invested. As Lloydy said, he is critical.

I consider DG the weakest link in the chain (but what do I know?). With Aquilina around, DG will have to pull up his socks big time, and that's a good thing.

Poor defending by both Dorrans and Tass when we conceded. But that's the only thing worth complaining about.

Other than that: it will be interesting if Cox returns to the UK for the birth of his first child. If he does then I don't expect him to return.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

A player like Tate is why we support WSW and follow the A League right? Major part of why I do.

He is exactly what we want to see coming through this club and watch develop.

Looking forward to seeing him each week.

Was one of our best when Babbel first put him in a couple of seasons back. Just goes to show what plenty of game time does. 

( PS...I still think the academy guys need to be playing 25-30 games a season for them to develop properly. I don't mean senior team but game time in general)

11 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

For the last 10 mins I flicked over to CNN to watch the fabulous new drama series called America: A Leopard Ate My Face....... and flicked back to see we retained our lead.

But that is the last time. Team will have to win with out me missing the games!   (EmMac)

Your not allowed to watch anymore.   :lol:

The EmMac jinx only hits with games she is not at and doesn't watch from the start, something always happens when she tunes in or then steps away.

" VAR is still trash. i don't care if it favours us for the next 10 games and gifts us a derby win - I would still (and always have) want it gone from the game. if the flag just goes up for offside on the muller goal you could accept it - might be mad but you would just say ah well it was close and we never would have gotten to the ball going in the net. but to have us celebrate a wonder goal and then be made to look like idiots when VAR chalks it off for a very very marginal offside it just the opposite of what football should be about."

I totally agree with this point, goal line cameras is the only tech i will go along with, leave the offsides with the match officials on the pitch, after all it seems to be an okay thing to do over the last hundred years why change.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

Two more thoughts.

There's a GK in Magush.

It became apparent last week, and again yesterday: we are dangerous at corner kicks! Is that a first in WSW history??

I think he was good too. But you know where there are issues with him commanding 18 yard box against crosses. He elects to punch over catching. The 2nd ball tends to be one by the opposition. Needs more confidence to catch those crosses and halt opposition attack entirely

Edited by Sithslayer1991

Time for my take....despite all the stuff about the Jets being in disarray this was never going to be an easy game. Robbo made the right changes from last week's opening line-up and Aquilina did himself proud; perhaps we're now seeing that the later products of our youth system are better than previous ones. We didn't start too flash against the wind and I was a bit concerned as the Jets took the upper hand early on but the Ziggy goal seemed to settle us a bit and we were unlucky not to go 2-0 by half time. Second half we mainly dominated until the first double substitution when it appeared that the remaining players were about to clock off too. However the team showed enough fighting spirit collectively to hold the Jets off in the closing stages, something not really witnessed in the last couple of years.

Individually:

Margush - looking to be a solid A League keeper

Russell - appears to have slimmed down and very pleased with his improvement...great game last night

Ziggy - gives everything and a nice goal to boot

Tass - thriving now he's been given the chance

McGowan - I've not been his greatest fan but doing better with the responsibility of captaincy added in

Aquilina - see comments above !!

Baccus - Thought he had a decent game but can still do more

Dorrans - better than last week but still short of fitness....a few sloppy giveaways and fouls

Troisi - decent game and always probing...not everything paid off but you can clearly see he's an intelligent footballer

Muller - deserved his recall....not quite back at the top of his game but will trouble all defences this season

Cox - I'm still not convinced that he's the answer but he did some intelligent work last night. Many bemoan the double substitution but both he and Muller looked out of gas

Ibini - sadly he looked slower than Cox last night but to his credit he helped out with the defensive effort

Yeboah - same old, same old....still looking for something better

O'Doherty - gave some spark when he came on and will keep our other midfielders on their toes

We can improve on this but I'm not sure that we're ready for FC yet; looking more encouraging than the last couple of years and I'm particularly impressed with the younger set.

4 hours ago, FCB said:

It became apparent last week, and again yesterday: we are dangerous at corner kicks! Is that a first in WSW history??

The statistically best option for scoring at corners is an in-swinging corner around the 6 yard box at near post. At the very minimum every corner we take should be an inswinger unless there is a pre-planned special routine. I've been saying this for the better part of a decade now.

It's not the only time we've been dangerous at corners but I always got the impression under Popa that he didn't really care about set pieces and handed them off to his assistant and that the other coaches we've had since then never took them particularly seriously.

One thing we should be trying to do is develop players to do long throws. Rory Delap helped score so many goals from a set piece that most clubs treat as less important than everything but a kickoff. Obviously not everyone is capable of Delap level power, flight & accuracy but the throws and the attacking of them can be trained.

9 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Maybe i'm wrong was Boorgard being a bit of a dick last night?, seemed determined to piss Robbo off every time he went near the dugout, remember one camera shot with Robbo slowly shaking his head (probably thinking "Dick")

For balance Jets fans, that Yuel is going to be a good player one day, can be a handful for them this season.

Are you new to the aleague? Haha :P

What I liked most if that Jets were more or less in control of first half yet we held strong. I know I constantly bring it up but without Ziegler we are so much better at back without his whining and getting constantly caught out. McGowan is a totally different player without him around. Build a strong foundation at the back always first and then the rest can come. 

It’s a decent start the derby will obviously gives us a better idea if we are actually a decent side. For now for me we look okay  but there’s lots of improvement in many of the attacking players. Are young brigade are actually our shining lights. 

That Tate gif is gold. 😌

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Watching the Kayo Mini now, I love the second goal and rewatching it, I’ve developed a like of Cox 

Cox made the first goal too although he was not directly involved.  At the corner he started at the near post, the same position Ziggy glanced his header.  Cox pealed away to the back post, took a defender with him and created the space for Ziggy to attack.  No statistics will show that.

Cox made some decent runs yesterday, particularly in the first half, but the quality of the final pass was not good enough to get him in behind their backline.

Yesterday was a much better performance from Cox but I'm yet to see him dominate as visa players should. Nonetheless, it was a step in the right direction.

12 hours ago, FCB said:

That thought struck me too. It's a standout difference!

:xnod:

I thought we played ok, most particularly between our first and second goal, could've scored more but take with a win.

I know a fair few fans had concerns about signing Ziggy from Mariners but I didn't, the guy was always a solid CB, he just didn't have the talent playing with him at CCM but he's gone to the next level with us, he doesn't have pace but he never let Yuel get the better of him.

Our young guns have definitely stepped up this year, Russell looks like he has bulked up in the off season and seems a lot more quicker, he had become more smarter in defence as well and that rocket of a goal was class. Aquilina was unlucky not to score from a tap in but he had an awesome game and Tass is showing class as well.