Controversial Derby Draw

Just one more comment on the pen. The biggest problem is Troisi's positioning he is completely square and not side on to force Ninko to the sideline. Ninko is too smart of player not to take advantage and no matter what Troisi does it will always look like a body check, hence why I have no arguments on the pen.

Pretty sure CR will have more of look at it to prevent from happening because it was similar to what he did to Mcgowan when he was one on one with him in the first half

Well without discussing the penalty no suprise if disallowed no surprise it was given.

Tom Aquilina was my man of the match he controlled mullet head most of the game.

Dylan Mcgowan has become a very good centre back under Robbo and Miller.

Repositioning of Troise in the second half and linking with Doorans and Baccus improved us going forward dramatically 

would not want any other goal keeper Margush is going ok.

Watch Cox he does an enormous amount of work of the ball , he is doing ok. 

Dorrans is going to be one of the best central midfielders in the game cant wait to see him 3 or 4 weeks from now.

Baccus ,Russell ,Gordan Muller all very good.

Mourdoukoutas was the only disappointment he will learn from this game.

Cant wait for Bernie to get fitter

11 hours ago, Xfactor said:

My 2c.. Probably not the popular opinion here but I think it was a penalty. I feel Troisi makes eye contact then changes his line of running before turning his back on Ninkovic, **** one to concede and probably a little harsh, but I didn’t complain too much about it.

I think we have the makings of a strong squad and just might go close to giving this thing a shake. We have depth. Players are starting to gel and are buying into what the coach wants. They all busted their gut tonight.

Disappointed not to get the win but we are on the way up.

I don’t disagree, I think the main frustration (certainly for me) is that we would never get a decision like that. It’s borderline at best but it’s just impossible to imagine a universe where the ref would give that to us against ESFC.

Ninkovic played for the pen and it was never going to be overturned once it was given.  Troisi made himself bigger by trying to turn to chase and his one step was towards the attacker didn't help but the thing here is who initiated contact and that was Ninkovic.  Was it a pen? seen them given and don't see them given but SFC always tend to get the rub of the green so no surprise .  The good news for us is we are yet to concede from general play, a deflected free kick, a flick on from a free kick and now a pen, so if we stop giving away unnecessary fouls around the box (or in it) we should be sweet. 

7 minutes ago, scarcev said:

Ninkovic played for the pen and it was never going to be overturned once it was given.  Troisi made himself bigger by trying to turn to chase and his one step was towards the attacker didn't help but the thing here is who initiated contact and that was Ninkovic.  Was it a pen? seen them given and don't see them given but SFC always tend to get the rub of the green so no surprise .  The good news for us is we are yet to concede from general play, a deflected free kick, a flick on from a free kick and now a pen, so if we stop giving away unnecessary fouls around the box (or in it) we should be sweet. 

Stop them in middle third would be better. 

The squad is still finding itself, Dorrans, Troisi, Ibini are still in the process of coming up to speed, but we are playing well nevertheless. Best quality football early in the season since S4, I reckon. Fitness level is up there. Very promising.

Am happy with the draw. Could have lost early in the game, could have won it last in the game.

Russel and especially Aquilina are amazing.

Mueller needs to do better than he did against Redmayne.

Ninkovic successfully milked that penalty, and the ref fell for it. It's "clever" if you are a Smurf, it's "not a penalty" if you are in the WSW camp. I just hope we'll be on the receiving end of such poor calls as the season progresses.

Harper is dreadful, promotes Ninkovic to a protected species and has nothing to say when Mueller is being kicked throughout the game. Would have loved to see Schwegler sticking it to Grant. Oh well.

As for the broadcast: in the late 80ies and early 90ies my local football club did well at third tier level, and the Bavarian broadcaster regularly sent a TV crew to cover the games. Single camera on the roof of the grandstand, one camera on the sideline. Yesterday's coverage had the same "quality". Also: in the first half our biggest opportunity came after a corner kick, but no replay, and the scene was missing from the mini match.

4 minutes ago, FCB said:

The squad is still finding itself, Dorrans, Troisi, Ibini are still in the process of coming up to speed, but we are playing well nevertheless. Best quality football early in the season since S4, I reckon. Fitness level is up there. Very promising.

Am happy with the draw. Could have lost early in the game, could have won it last in the game.

Russel and especially Aquilina are amazing.

Mueller needs to do better than he did against Redmayne.

Ninkovic successfully milked that penalty, and the ref fell for it. It's "clever" if you are a Smurf, it's "not a penalty" if you are in the WSW camp. I just hope we'll be on the receiving end of such poor calls as the season progresses.

Harper is dreadful, promotes Ninkovic to a protected species and has nothing to say when Mueller is being kicked throughout the game. Would have loved to see Schwegler sticking it to Grant. Oh well.

As for the broadcast: in the late 80ies and early 90ies my local football club did well at third tier level, and the Bavarian broadcaster regularly sent a TV crew to cover the games. Single camera on the roof of the grandstand, one camera on the sideline. Yesterday's coverage had the same "quality". Also: in the first half our biggest opportunity came after a corner kick, but no replay, and the scene was missing from the mini match.

Aquilina biggest find of the season for me so far..kids doing alight isn't he 

1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

One big observation on our game overall is that our defenders & keeper don't have the skill level to play out from the back under pressure. That first half we could barely get the ball out of our defensive third and even at times in the second we looked a big chance to concede from a mistake. Sometimes the keeper just needs to wave everyone forward, play the percentages and smack it long.

Despite the very encouraging start to the season this aspect still concerns me greatly. Difficult to ascertain how bad it is because for many of our goal kicks the Fox coverage switches to replays, random players in the stands,  strange haircuts etc and when they return to the action we've turned over possession and the opposition are in an attacking position.

5 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Despite the very encouraging start to the season this aspect still concerns me greatly. Difficult to ascertain how bad it is because for many of our goal kicks the Fox coverage switches to replays, random players in the stands,  strange haircuts etc and when they return to the action we've turned over possession and the opposition are in an attacking position.

Its bad..but not as bad as last season.

1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

One big observation on our game overall is that our defenders & keeper don't have the skill level to play out from the back under pressure. That first half we could barely get the ball out of our defensive third and even at times in the second we looked a big chance to concede from a mistake. Sometimes the keeper just needs to wave everyone forward, play the percentages and smack it long.

I think they have the skill just perhaps lacking in confidence and combination. It will come.

Tbh defensively under CR we look way better than we have. Ziggy Gordon is big step up in attitude and commitment when compared to Zeigler or Jurman. No arm waving, no complaining to the refs just gets in to do a job. McGowan as well has stepped up. Tass has made a few errors but overall when you think we haven't conceded from open play there are heaps of positives to build on.

Probably does not belong here , but I am gunna say it , Baumjohan cuts a lonely figure on the bench at the Smurfs, he looks like such an arrogant sour prick and more so sitting on the bench with the kids :)

Smurfs will cut him at the end if the season , his wifes love for Sydney may send him to the Bullshitters for a job :wub:

3 hours ago, hughsey said:

Those who disagree with the pen, would you have the same opinion if it was awarded to us? 

I have the same opinion about VAR regardless of if it went our way or not 

It makes it worse, I can handle a referee in real-time but feels worse that with review they still gave it

8 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Probably does not belong here , but I am gunna say it , Baumjohan cuts a lonely figure on the bench at the Smurfs, he looks like such an arrogant sour prick and more so sitting on the bench with the kids :)

Smurfs will cut him at the end if the season , his wifes love for Sydney may send him to the Bullshitters for a job :wub:

If he does he’ll be commenting to training can’t see his mrs moving to Leumeah 

16 minutes ago, sonar said:

I think they have the skill just perhaps lacking in confidence and combination. It will come.

Tbh defensively under CR we look way better than we have. Ziggy Gordon is big step up in attitude and commitment when compared to Zeigler or Jurman. No arm waving, no complaining to the refs just gets in to do a job. McGowan as well has stepped up. Tass has made a few errors but overall when you think we haven't conceded from open play there are heaps of positives to build on.

defensively i totally agree they have been excellent. i am happy that CR has made the tough calls - leaving out georgievski & zeigler wouldn't have been easy to deal with behind the scenes but 100% the right calls.

28 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

One thing I picked up from the press conference that he said which I hope was just a mix up of his words was , we are not the finished article and will probably never will be. If he did mean it , then that is a concern. 

I noticed that too, but I was hoping what he meant by it was that "there is always room to improve".

12 hours ago, LetsPele said:

I agree with everything you've said, except the penalty. I don't get the eye contact comment. A few have made it on Twitter as well. It's meaningless and distracting. Imo the penalty decision was a terrible one. Ninkovic lays the ball off about 5 yards from Troisi. He then runs directly into the space Troisi occupies. Troisi makes a slight movement to his right, not even a full step, and Ninkovic clatters into him. For mine Troisi hasn't made any significant movement to block or impede ninkovic. Contact was made because of the line Ninkovic ran and his momentum.

Also, penalty and red card decisions are the most significant decisions a ref can make. They should only be made when the basis for the decision is clear.

This was just another example of poor officiating, with a referee imposing himself unnecessarily into the game.

Agreed. I mean, where was the impediment re a goal scoring opportunity when you've already released the ball? Ninkovic couldn't have scored because he had already released the goddamn faaarrking ball

Genuinely please help me understand how it was a penalty? 

43 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Agreed. I mean, where was the impediment re a goal scoring opportunity when you've already released the ball? Ninkovic couldn't have scored because he had already released the goddamn faaarrking ball

Genuinely please help me understand how it was a penalty? 

A player 'impeding' another that involves contact is punished with a direct free kick (ie penalty in the box). Doesn't have to have the ball.

2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

It's a set play that makes zero sense. 3 backs standing in close proximity to each other. The receiver standing a few yards from the keeper. It's easy to read and invites the opposition to sit on top of you and press hard. Puts the defenders under enourmois pressure. The risk is high. The reward low.

SydneyFC tried the same thing twice in the second half and turned over the ball both times.

35 minutes ago, mack said:

A player 'impeding' another that involves contact is punished with a direct free kick (ie penalty in the box). Doesn't have to have the ball.

Thanks genuinely because I didn't know that rule could be applied to being a penalty.  But yes logically I can see a free direct kick becomes a penalty in the box.

Seeing the incident a few times on replay I don't see what Troisi was supposed to do. Duck? Its seems a cynical ploy/ play by sfc. And to the chorus of, "thats football" yeah I get it, but I've had a gut full of that rhetoric.

So in conclusion,  once again we got gypped by aleague refereeing. I guess sfc need all the help/cheat to match us these days. Says more about them really.

what is a bit strange is that No VAR call for the penalty , Corica is claiming Russell was offside leading to his tangle with useless Gloves and  no VAR check for that maybe Griffith Jones didn't turn up for the game.

I have had a look at it a few times and it was close , maybe close enough to deserve the line being drawn.

Maybe KGJ had a hang over from the night before and asked Corica to do the reviews cause reckoned the resulting reviews woulda been the same :)

Edited by Keithie
3 hours ago, Erebus said:

If Aquilina is going to find himself in the box all the time, he needs to practice his shooting.

Go watch some Shannon Cole highlights of how to score from the WB/FB position for us.

Or maybe Zambrotta.

Totally agree. Huge pitential and a very good find from the academy.  IMO better than Wilmering, howeverthe kid missed 3 in 3 games, the fisrt game the easiest. Agree yesterday's a bit harder from the header but he was alone. 

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

what is a bit strange is that No VAR call for the penalty , Corica is claiming Russell was offside leading to his tangle with useless Gloves and  no VAR check for that maybe Griffith Jones didn't turn up for the game.

I have had a look at it a few times and it was close , maybe close enough to deserve the line being drawn.

Maybe KGJ had a hang over from the night before and asked Corica to do the reviews cause reckoned the resulting reviews woulda been the same :)

My first thought when I saw it was that it’d be ruled out for offside. Not necessarily because it was, just standard VAR, ESFC, etc.

Didn’t help that we made a change at the same time so it took ages for them to kick off after the goal. I assumed VAR was checking and we just weren’t getting replays because Fox are phoning it in.

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Just a word on Cox also...as yes I have digs at him lol

No goals but you cannot fault his work rate. He is often isolated but really shifts around and looks like he has improved his fitness. Shame he will need to jet away soon.

Muller should have done better with the chip with his skill and experience, but again won't fault his work rate.

All players are putting in a shift for the new gaffer and you have to be happy with that.

Anyone else see the Duke article from I think TWG where he was effusive in his praise for Cox? Really credited him

9 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I’m not that biased

What is more of a penalty was late in the game when J O’Doherty was running down the right wing into the penalty area and Alex Wilkinson runs behind him and basically gives him three big shoves and pushes in the back. O’Doherty didn’t fall over but kept the ball, but meant he regained ball control on the goal line which snuffed out the chance 

I love O’Doherty’s attitude here though. People behind us called out for him to go down to milk the foul but he kept going. Perhaps naive but my son leant over and said how much he admires players like that who put in and give their all and don’t try to milk it. Kudos to him I say