Jump to content

A-league 2020/21 Match Week 5


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

 

"Last Supper"... loses 2-0 to Mariners lol

As I said recently this guy is a fully rusted on Smurf supporter (doubted by some).....Well and truly entrenched inside the Harper, Speed, Slater, Bossi Smurf tent.

Link to post
6 hours ago, Ossified said:

As I said recently this guy is a fully rusted on Smurf supporter (doubted by some).....Well and truly entrenched inside the Harper, Speed, Slater, Bossi Smurf tent.

Doesn't matter...it's just great to see this happening again!

 

Link to post
13 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Reckon Corica looks like a cane toad more than a weasel.

Sydney really don't look amazing or flash at all.

They don't know how to put the onion in the onion bag.

Mariners look really good at containing and restricting chances, Sydney didn't have a shot for 30-40 mins in the 2nd half.

They aren't bad at taking half chances either Mariners.

Doesn't bother me at all seeing Mariners at the top, thinks its good for the game in our country.

I still reckon Corica looks like a weasel. 

Arnie is the cane toad.

nwdywoq.jpg

Link to post

Know it's early days but Sydney FC have looked ordinary to date this season especially in the second half of matches.  We also struggled big time after an Asian campaign so I really just put it down to that but a few mates last night got talking on the pi$$ and one of the things some were saying is with COVID, the quality hasn't really come in from overseas so it is the Clubs that have focussed on youth development that will be getting results this season, particularly early on until travel opens up and also until the imports that are here get fit and out of quarantine.  When I look at the players that have excelled so far this season from all clubs they have been kids.  Any truth to this or just **** talk?? thoughts? 

Link to post

On a serious note, the Smurfs COULD be fined for failing to comply with NSW Covid-19 restrictions on crowds.

Capacity at Kogarah is officially listed as 20500.

Crowd on My Football is listed as 5320.

That is 26% with maximum 25% allowed.

Probs they get a warning.  

Link to post
1 hour ago, scarcev said:

Know it's early days but Sydney FC have looked ordinary to date this season especially in the second half of matches.  We also struggled big time after an Asian campaign so I really just put it down to that but a few mates last night got talking on the pi$$ and one of the things some were saying is with COVID, the quality hasn't really come in from overseas so it is the Clubs that have focussed on youth development that will be getting results this season, particularly early on until travel opens up and also until the imports that are here get fit and out of quarantine.  When I look at the players that have excelled so far this season from all clubs they have been kids.  Any truth to this or just **** talk?? thoughts? 

I sort of disagree. It's Sydney FC's fault for not improving on their ageing, depleting squad. 

While every team significantly strengthened their sides with various Japanese, Spanish, German signings etc, Sydney had a massive whole at the front and arguably at the back.

They chose to wait so long to sign a striker, and all they could think of was signing a 36 year old Brazilian the 2nd time around who will likely be nowhere near as good as he previous was.

The argument that there is a lack of quality on previous seasons is a load of rubbish this season in my opinion. I think a lot of foreign players came to the A-League as the situation here is significantly better to what it is in their country. I don't think we would be seeing players like Benat in the league this year had it not been for COVID.

Link to post

Sydney have also got young players coming through too. Corica coached the youth team before taking over the senior team and he hasn't been afraid to bring in some of the kids. Admittedly, most are only playing when there is an injury to an older player or they haven't adequately recruited, but that's how it is in any team.

Ivanovic, Nieuwenhof, King and Zuvela have all got minutes.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, scarcev said:

the result of not blooding or playing any youth for the past 3 seasons?

 

17 minutes ago, Carns said:

Sydney have also got young players coming through too. Corica coached the youth team before taking over the senior team and he hasn't been afraid to bring in some of the kids. Admittedly, most are only playing when there is an injury to an older player or they haven't adequately recruited, but that's how it is in any team.

Ivanovic, Nieuwenhof, King and Zuvela have all got minutes.

The players coming through their academy aren't exactly inspiring. Ivanovic and King are very overrated and hasn't done anything of note.

Zuvela has been with them for 4 years, is 24 and has done absolutely nothing, only making 7 appearances. 

My point was more that people saying "quality hasn't come in from overseas" is completely rubbish.

I think the league overall has signed the best bunch of imports this season than in the last few.

Link to post
1 minute ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

The players coming through their academy aren't exactly inspiring. Ivanovic and King are very overrated and hasn't done anything of note.

Zuvela has been with them for 4 years, is 24 and has done absolutely nothing, only making 7 appearances. 

My point was more that people saying "quality hasn't come in from overseas" is completely rubbish.

I think the league overall has signed the best bunch of imports this season than in the last few.

My point was they are actually playing youth players (didn't know how old Zuvela was). Arnie was famous for not wanting to play kids (which is ironic considering his current role and advocacy for youth development), Corica has shown more willingness to play them.

WSW have shown time and again that playing youth players doesn't mean they'll become stars. Out of all the players who've come from our academy only Baccus cemented his spot, and hopefully Russell, Tass and Aquilina kick on (would like to see how Wilmering goes after his injury too).

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Carns said:

My point was they are actually playing youth players (didn't know how old Zuvela was). Arnie was famous for not wanting to play kids (which is ironic considering his current role and advocacy for youth development), Corica has shown more willingness to play them.

WSW have shown time and again that playing youth players doesn't mean they'll become stars. Out of all the players who've come from our academy only Baccus cemented his spot, and hopefully Russell, Tass and Aquilina kick on (would like to see how Wilmering goes after his injury too).

I agree although I would argue that Russel and Tass have cemented their spot in our team.

Aquilina from what I have seen is better than Wilmering in the wingback position. Not sure if people remember but Wilmering would get the ball, run up the field, turn back and pass back all the time. Aquilina is not afraid to get forward at all and is much more suited to the wingback position which is more attacking.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Carns said:

Ivanovic, Nieuwenhof, King and Zuvela have all got minutes.

Minutes yep as imjury replacements but where are the Russells, Bacchus, Tongyk, Strain, Metcalfe, Oneill, Najjarine, Genreau, Nisbet, McGree, Thurgate, Piscopo and others who play regular first team football that other Clubs are producing.  For a team that prides themselves on being the best at everything, they have also held the oldest average team in the League for the past 5 seasons bar that one year the Roar should of played O35's instead of AL.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, scarcev said:

Minutes yep as imjury replacements but where are the Russells, Bacchus, Tongyk, Strain, Metcalfe, Oneill, Najjarine, Genreau, Nisbet, McGree, Thurgate, Piscopo and others who play regular first team football that other Clubs are producing.  For a team that prides themselves on being the best at everything, they have also held the oldest average team in the League for the past 5 seasons bar that one year the Roar should of played O35's instead of AL.

Certainly aren't or weren't the best in Asia :xnod:

Link to post
54 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I agree although I would argue that Russel and Tass have cemented their spot in our team.

Aquilina from what I have seen is better than Wilmering in the wingback position. Not sure if people remember but Wilmering would get the ball, run up the field, turn back and pass back all the time. Aquilina is not afraid to get forward at all and is much more suited to the wingback position which is more attacking.

I would hope all three of the kids have cemented their spots, they've earned their opportunities. But it's only been 3 games so far. Lets hope they play the season.

And agree Aquilina is better suited to the wingback role. I was just commenting that Wilmering showed promise that deserves a chance. But obviously the current formation may not suit him.

17 minutes ago, scarcev said:

Minutes yep as imjury replacements but where are the Russells, Bacchus, Tongyk, Strain, Metcalfe, Oneill, Najjarine, Genreau, Nisbet, McGree, Thurgate, Piscopo and others who play regular first team football that other Clubs are producing.  For a team that prides themselves on being the best at everything, they have also held the oldest average team in the League for the past 5 seasons bar that one year the Roar should of played O35's instead of AL.

Agree, but they've also been winning and haven't had a need to play kids.

Admittedly, a dominant team is the perfect opportunity to blood the next gen. Arnie pretty much refused. Corica is more willing.

Link to post
1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

 

The players coming through their academy aren't exactly inspiring. Ivanovic and King are very overrated and hasn't done anything of note.

Zuvela has been with them for 4 years, is 24 and has done absolutely nothing, only making 7 appearances. 

My point was more that people saying "quality hasn't come in from overseas" is completely rubbish.

I think the league overall has signed the best bunch of imports this season than in the last few.

Ivanovic was not developed in the Smurf Academy, he was plucked from Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

Link to post

Entertaining second half. Pierias comes off the bench and scores with his first touch and than a second within mins to rescue WU.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...