A-league 2020/21 Match Week 9

Just saw on Reddit that the game last night was on the My Football YouTube channel but they forgot to region lock it so it was available to everyone worldwide. Then it got a copyright strike because it used licensed music.

Seems fitting...

Just saw the highlights. No real problem with any of the penalties, it's just that they're super inconsistent with VAR application. If they're going frame by frame for that third penalty, so be it, but do that every week and not create massive discrepancies like the Troisi non-penalty last game and that "blink and you'll miss it" handball

59 minutes ago, Keithie said:

I think CCM deserve all they get, after all every week that goose Simons should be red carded with his stupid antics and gets away with a lot of it. 

Nope I disagree...FWIW.

I have hated seeing the Mariners uncompetitive year after year, and it's wonderful to see that club emerging from the doldrums.

Not fair to tar the whole team with the same brush (is that the saying?).

Just for the hell of it, average points per match:

CCM       played 9       points 18      average points 2

Bulls       8                     14               1.75

Roar       7                     13               1.85

WSW     7                      12               1.71

SFC       5                      10               2

AU         8                      10               1.25

Glory     5                      9                 1.8

Jets       8                      8                 1

City       6                      6                 1

WU        5                     5                  1

Nix        6                     4                  0.67

Vic        6                     4                  0.67

Well Wendy we can agree to disagree,  the pouting Stajic , "we were the  better team" supports the stupid antics of Simon who really is an absolute lunatic and probably the most disliked A league player since the days of Kevin Muscat. The dislike stems from the fact that Simons stupid tackles puts at risk the career of every player that comes up against him and Stajic is encouraging the rest of the team to follow Simons actions.  Sorry Wendy but that's my view :)     

I just watched the highlights of the game, plenty went on, I'd say that maybe 2 of those 3 calls were penalties. 

I don't think the first one was a penalty let alone a foul, Mauk was already going down and collided with Tongyik who just stood his ground. I've seen Sadio mane do the exact same thing Tongyik do and have a player collide with him but the ref didn't give a pen.

The second one was a pen, Nisbet was grabbing his arm and all Mauk had to do was fall down and he got the pen, fair call.

3rd one was quite harsh but again the right call

Maybe CCM have every right to complain that they were dudded by having 3 pen calls go against them but I just think the first 1 should have not been a pen

Unpopular opinion here but think the last 2 penalties were pretty obvious and the first I can see why it was given.

2nd pen Josh Nisbet is grabbing the whole of Mauk's arm, pulling it, not letting him carry the ball, Mauk is smart enough to go down with the contact and wins a pen. Thought Nisbet's reaction gave it away as well.

3rd pen is 100% a penalty based off the previous calls for handball in other games (see Georgievski vs ADL). Certainly in an unnatural position (even if the shot is close and his instincts tell him to protect his face).

1st pen looks like there is a bit of contact around the thigh, knee region but Mauk looks like he is already going down before it happens. Thought it was a bit dodgy but can see why it would and wouldn't have been given.

Surprised there are some fans who genuinely think all 3 weren't pens, I think thats very harsh.

57 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Unpopular opinion here but think the last 2 penalties were pretty obvious and the first I can see why it was given.

2nd pen Josh Nisbet is grabbing the whole of Mauk's arm, pulling it, not letting him carry the ball, Mauk is smart enough to go down with the contact and wins a pen. Thought Nisbet's reaction gave it away as well.

3rd pen is 100% a penalty based off the previous calls for handball in other games (see Georgievski vs ADL). Certainly in an unnatural position (even if the shot is close and his instincts tell him to protect his face).

1st pen looks like there is a bit of contact around the thigh, knee region but Mauk looks like he is already going down before it happens. Thought it was a bit dodgy but can see why it would and wouldn't have been given.

Surprised there are some fans who genuinely think all 3 weren't pens, I think thats very harsh.

It’s the inconsistency with VAR that is the main issue. The painstaking dissection of the 3rd one about 3 hrs after the incident happened and while the Mariners were waiting to take a free kick, the game having moved on, illustrated all that stinks with VAR. Yes it prob was a penalty, but a “clear and obvious error” from the onfield ref? And if VAR is that pedantic, then why not overturn the 1st one, which imo was def not a penalty? 

3 minutes ago, Davo said:

Good to see it acknowledged...but still sad to see the Mariners so blatantly robbed.

And it's pathetic that a referee AND the VAR can stuff up so badly. Disgraceful was the word used last night...and that hasn't changed.

See ya Kurt Ams you won't be missed.

Indications are O’Rourke will oversee a post-mortem which is likely to see Fielding - who also bizarrely booked Mariners coach Alen Stajic at the end as well as handing a red card to Kye Rowles - is likely to be benched for at least a week, whilst Ams is also facing a spell in the sin-bin.

16 minutes ago, Davo said:

“The defender has done nothing wrong, he just stands there, and the Adelaide attacker is the one that initiates the contact,” 

Ok that's how everybody saw it. Ams should have known this but then again, he is one of the worst refs in the league.

“It would have been better if we played on,” he said. “From a VAR point of view ... there is holding from both players, including the Central Coast player, this is normal contact, so those are the facts and those facts are not clearly wrong.”

The thing is this would have went either way, had Mauk not dived, he would have fouled Nisbet in the process so he took his chance to dive and he got the penalty, and again, I still think this decision was correct.

There is nothing ever correct about diving.

Both the first two penalties involved that, ironically by the same player, who admitted as much during his half time interview on Fox.

I have long been an advocate for retrospective yellow cards post match for this type of behavior. It is NOT part of the game, as much as people argue it is. It is just plain cheating. 

43 minutes ago, SBW said:

The defender has done nothing wrong, he just stands there,

Tongyik actually challenged for that ball however and lost it to Mauk who's toe hit Tongyik's boot causing him to go down.

In saying that Mauk is already going down as he is mid-air after winning the ball.

I'm being a little nit cheeky here buy the easy solution to VAR and the lottery it is.....is not to allow the opposition to get in a position for it to happen.

:ninja:

:D

Just for the hell of it, average points per match:

Update after today's results:

Bulls       9                     14               1.55

Roar       8                     14               1.85

WSW     7                      12               1.75

SFC       6                      11               1.83

AU         8                      10               1.25

WU        6                     8                  1.33

33 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

Bring Strebre out of retirement! Was easily the best of them. And is the Iranian guy still reffing? Coz he’s streets ahead of the current lot

Strebre won't have the legs for it now.

Alireza Faghani referees in the A-league but should be given a a game every week.

8 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Just for the hell of it, average points per match:

Update after today's results:

Bulls       9                     14               1.55

Roar       8                     14               1.85

WSW     7                      12               1.75

SFC       6                      11               1.83

AU         8                      10               1.25

WU        6                     8                  1.33

Interesting.  The bigger issue are the game on hand. Perth have 4 and the Victorian teams have 3 as do the Nix and the Smurfs.  Of couse, every team, except Perth, has 1 or 2 games left to play in this match week.

4 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Not as bad as Mauk though.....

Maybe. Mauk is better as he is in the penalty box when he does it.

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

What about managing the VAR?

If he was running the VAR every week, I think people would have more confidence.

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Alireza Faghani referees in the A-league but should be given a a game every week.

Swear I read somewhere that we have him tonight

14 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Swear I read somewhere that we have him tonight

Yes they did. But he seems to be appointed as a centre every 2 weeks.