A-league 2020/21 Match Week 9

On 20/02/2021 at 10:12 AM, wendybr said:

Nope I disagree...FWIW.

I have hated seeing the Mariners uncompetitive year after year, and it's wonderful to see that club emerging from the doldrums.

Not fair to tar the whole team with the same brush (is that the saying?).

I dig the wizard of Woy Woy it’s ace to see an AA 8 player get a run in the A League 

18 hours ago, sonar said:

I'm being a little nit cheeky here buy the easy solution to VAR and the lottery it is.....is not to allow the opposition to get in a position for it to happen.

:ninja:

:D

Is right 

that’s what drives me mad when we piss around with the ball at the back and go through our sleepy patches 

If you let teams come on to you in this league eventually they will get a dodgy pen or free kick or the ball will pinball in if somebody’s arse

The less time you spend around your box the better 

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

What about managing the VAR?

If he was running the VAR every week, I think people would have more confidence.

Just ditch the whole thing, it’s shite 

The problems with it far out weigh any benefit, especially to those at the game 

it’s for the telly clappers 

Speed commentating says he gets texts from Delovski.

And calls for a penalty when there isn't one. 

Also says Dorrans should have been sent off.

Shut the F*** up Speed. 

And if you read this Brenton Speed,  

WE HATE YOUR COMMENTATING 

Kye Rowles has had his red card rescinded by the Match Review Panel. Reason given, obvious error.

If his card was for abuse of a match official,  the red card should have stood. Players cannot abuse anyone, but especially a referee id if the decision is wrong.

From IFAB LOTG, "The decisions of the referee, and all other match officials, must always be respected."

Kye Rowles has, imo, failed to respect the referee even if he got it wrong.

29 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Jamie Maclaren speaks out about A-League officiating, calls for referees to face questions over calls
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-22/jamie-maclaren-says-a-league-referees-need-greater-scrutiny/13179176

He’s spot on, but this bit annoys me 

"And I'm the same, I try to milk penalties sometimes, but that was beyond [what's acceptable”

Complains about referees getting it wrong (giving penalties when it isn’t) with adverse impacts to coaches and players careers, but then goes on to say that he play acts (cheats) with the intent of tricking the same referees into giving a penalty when there isn’t one, maybe the ones he dives for don’t have adverse impacts on players and coaches?

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

He’s spot on, but this bit annoys me 

"And I'm the same, I try to milk penalties sometimes, but that was beyond [what's acceptable”

Complains about referees getting it wrong (giving penalties when it isn’t) with adverse impacts to coaches and players careers, but then goes on to say that he play acts (cheats) with the intent of tricking the same referees into giving a penalty when there isn’t one, maybe the ones he dives for don’t have adverse impacts on players and coaches?

Is it fairly universal...or really not?

At A League level?

Yes...it's a bit hypocritical of him to admit doing it, but then to say that some of these dives are  "beyond" what's acceptable? Where's the line?

It seems to be whatever you can get away with.

That doesn't excuse the inexplicable VAR decisions tho.

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

At A League level?

Yes...it's a bit hypocritical of him to admit doing it, but to say that some of these dives are  "beyond" what's acceptable? Where's the line?

The use of the "dark arts" to get free kicks or pens is universal unfortunately.

https://www.espn.com.au/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3710171/footballs-dark-arts-your-guide-to-the-set-piece-trickery-diving-and-sneaky-fouls-that-make-a-difference

Edited by sonar
50 minutes ago, sonar said:

Dark arts practiced by Ninkovic, Berisha and Le Fondre

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

At A League level?

Yes...it's a bit hypocritical of him to admit doing it, but then to say that some of these dives are  "beyond" what's acceptable? Where's the line?

The A League refereeing and Var is seriously next level crap.

I'm not saying it hypocritical for him to distinguish what is beyond or not, its that he blames the referees for giving the wrong decisions and in the next breath says that he deceives them into giving the wrong decision. FFS they have a hard enough job as it is without players connig refs.

The bit where I think the referees make it harder for themselves is that they give about a yellow card a season out for simulation. If somebody dives in the box, give em a card, they will stop doing it eventually, at the moment there is no disincentive against doing it. Dive, if they but it pen, if they don't referee looks grumpy at you and waves play on.

Did you see the Salah on in the Merseyside derby? 

Commentators are just as bad "it's just part of his game..."

Book 'em Dano