Gong Show Rings Up A Draw

Not long home from the game and I must say what an enjoyable experience to be at a decent game at a good stadium for football without having to suffer the Fox commentators; could have done with a big screen though. As for the Wanderers it's great to see some structure after a few years of very little. We should have shaded Wellington by the odd goal but there's nothing in a lot of these contests and Wellington are not as bad as their position suggests. Individually I thought that Ibini and O'Doherty struggled to make an impact and I wouldn't expect to see them in the starting line-up again unless we are strapped with injuries. Everyone else played their part and with more improvement to come we are definitely a top 4 outfit.

I was working in the US during the 2006 world cup. Our family used to go and watch the games on the big screens in a shopping centre in Fort Worth. It was always packed with Mexican immigrants who were so passionate. We had a ball watching the games with them.

5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

WTF? Did you walk home? :)

Some of us like to take our time, take in the views and sample the local food and drink rather than fly up and down the motorway :xnod: I was away 4 days for a game an hour or so south :D

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Some of us like to take our time, take in the views and sample the local food and drink rather than fly up and down the motorway :xnod: I was away 4 days for a game an hour or so south :D

Your trip sounded fantastic. It's a lovely part of the world.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Much need break and it was fantastic..good game too of course..

As I said last night, it's such a shame that a city with the football history of Wollongong, great inner city and almost perfect stadium doesn't have a team in the A-League.

10 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

As I said last night, it's such a shame that a city with the football history of Wollongong, great inner city and almost perfect stadium doesn't have a team in the A-League.

Been saying the Gong should have a team since I started posting here. Ridiculous they don’t and the Macarthur Cows do.

Edited by Smoggy

It feels like in the final third we have a whole bunch of super subs. Everyone looks great coming off the bench against tired legs but when they earn a start they’re ordinary. Cox and Kamau were great off the bench and Ibini has been a good impact player. Never as good starting. Plenty of opportunities for players to step up and claim the starting spots.

Been good to see Yeboah improving. Against Macarthur I thought he was going to hurt himself every time he got the ball but two goals in two games is hard to argue with. If he can get his decision making sorted (e.g. the Tate through ball that he got on the end of then gently dinked it onto the roof of the net) he could make a claim to start more often.

Mutch was quality. I’m a big Baccus fan but I could easily see Dorrans and Much locking down the two defensive mid spots. Good problem to have I guess, they’ll all get used with the fixture crush coming up.

I thought Natta did well. So far he’s had to man mark players like Matt Simon and Davilla, giving him completely different challenges to deal with. He hasn’t been embarrassed and will be getting some solid experience for a kid.

Also Faghani showed again that he’s levels above the rest of the refs in the league. No howlers, let the game flow but didn’t let it get out of control, used the cards when necessary but didn’t go crazy. Wish we got him more often.

1 minute ago, Davo said:

Also Faghani showed again that he’s levels above the rest of the refs in the league. No howlers, let the game flow but didn’t let it get out of control, used the cards when necessary but didn’t go crazy. Wish we got him more often.

Also, not the bias of the rest of the a league refs.

Read quite a few comments about Mutch and how good he looked. Bit of perspective here he came on against a Nix side that look spent. 
Don’t want to be the party pooper but let’s give for more than ten mins against a injury riddled squad. 
it was a nice start nothing more for now 

Robbo was correct 2 points dropped 

at least yeboah is showing a little more life - so good to see duke back 

2 points lost, the amount of possession yet wellington were having all the shots, and the amount of balls into 6 yard box with no end result, very 1 dimensional play nothing through the middle.

Troisi was missed muller looked tired and Ibini was there only in spirit. Dorrans will be welcomed back with open arms.

Mutch seemed to be confident in his abilty to string out balls from the back and distributes quickly, will be a nice added welcome to our team. Duke would be better suited for the bombardment of crosses we peppered and lets hope he hasn't lost his heading skills. Netherless we are still undefeated since opening round and will be interesting to see our starting line up next week

after being at the game yesterday I just watched the last 15 minutes Mutch has a very eye pleasing touch of the Ball  (yes I know it was the last 15 minutes) but you can see the class in him in my view we are heading for good times with the makeup of the squad now. Cant wait to see Duke, Yeboah , Kamau running of the feed from Troisi or Mutch or Muller and Dorrans , dont forget Baccus also.

I am hoping there is more to Ibini than we are seeing.

50 minutes ago, Keithie said:

after being at the game yesterday I just watched the last 15 minutes Mutch has a very eye pleasing touch of the Ball  (yes I know it was the last 15 minutes) but you can see the class in him in my view we are heading for good times with the makeup of the squad now. Cant wait to see Duke, Yeboah , Kamau running of the feed from Troisi or Mutch or Muller and Dorrans , dont forget Baccus also.

I am hoping there is more to Ibini than we are seeing.

Ibini needs to trim down. He has bulked up like an NRL player.

With regard to O'Doherty, i think he had a good game but we had 2 DMs on the pitch  who dont have the gravitas or size of Schwegler or Dorrans. It was his free kick to the left wing that set up the Yeboah goal.

I looked at the first goal, and McGowan failed to stop Muratovic. Perhaps Baccus or O'Doherty could have stopped him but McGowan is the last line of defense. No blame on Gordon imo.

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Ibini needs to trim down. He has bulked up like an NRL player.

Looks a totally different player to the one that broke through at ESFC. I thought then he would go on to possibly make it in Europe. I was wondering why he didn't make it...now I think i know.

Better to come from him...i hope.

Edited by Smoggy
Just now, pseudonym said:

"A free cup of Bovril for every dual citizen with a UK passport at Bankwest stadium"

Ooooooooooo IN!!!!!! 

Nowt wrong with a reet nice cuppa bovril like....can go the full nostalgia and take a piss in someone's pocket on the terrace..or piss up the back of the stand....

Slater on fox was going on about the Mutch tackle on Davila in the box late in the game saying it was a dangerous tackle potentially  could have been a penalty.

I think Slater is on drugs,  the tackle by Mutch is another example of his abilities, he took the ball off Davila’s feet with touching him and Davila then fell over him.