Adelaide Anguish

The last two games combined we had 46 shots, 31 corners, 25 crosses and managed to get the ball into the area from all of that 94 times. AU & WP had 29 shots, 33 balls into the area, and only 3 corners and 2 crosses combined

And we lost 5-4 on 'aggregate'. To the team that is last, and the team that was in 9th before tonight.

The better teams aren't going to let us rack up such gigantic numbers and our atrocious set piece defending makes it practically certain all you need is a handful of free kicks or corners and you'll score from one.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

The first hour of the game we looked like a team of strangers. No communication, players going for the same ball all over the park and no flow to our play whatsoever. The second goal they scored, every Adelaide player in the box had enough time to make a sandwich while we just sat and ball watched.

The most telling moment was around the 55th min mark where Dorans had the ball on halfway and literally stood there for 5 seconds with it trying to find anyone who’d make some sort of run. He got nothing. 

Our first goal I thought was purely the result of a defence/goalkeeper miscommunication and we had about 5 mins either side of it that resembled something of a decent performance. The second goal to Bernies credit was him getting stuck in but that was the only positive from the game. Scoring two goals flattered us once again cause we definitely weren’t only one goal worse than them.

Several dozens corners and crossing opportunities yet all we could muster up was those pissy looping crosses that the goalkeeper collects easily or the first defender simply heads free from danger. May as well have handed them the ball. The amount of lazy offsides we got done on basically killed any other attacking opportunities we did manage to create. So frustrating to watch.

Infrequent glimpses of promise but overall disappointment - I thought the game basically summed up our season so far. Anyone who thinks we are a top 6 side is delusional in their bias - we are going to get swallowed once the teams below us start making up their games in hand and that result tonight just made that an even greater likelihood of happening.

I'm afraid I'm more in Hughseys' camp than Btron's, although I agree that we are better than in seasons past.

We're better, but really haven't "gelled" yet, as CR sort of implied would take time.

But the standard of most other teams seems to have lifted this season. Which is ironic after all that happened last year. And it's good for the A League.

Compared to the firepower some teams have upfront, we're not close, unfortunately. And that isn't all that's wrong in the team.

But hopefully, with more time, our team can gain more fluency and cohesion.

As is often said here, we live in hope.

20 minutes ago, mack said:

The last two games combined we had 46 shots, 31 corners, 25 crosses and managed to get the ball into the area from all of that 94 times. AU & WP had 29 shots, 33 balls into the area, and only 3 corners and 2 crosses combined

And we lost 5-4 on 'aggregate'. To the team that is last, and the team that was in 9th before tonight.

The better teams aren't going to let us rack up such gigantic numbers and our atrocious set piece defending makes it practically certain all you need is a handful of free kicks or corners and you'll score from one.

So now the argument is that the better teams won't let us dominate like we did the last two games?

So we weren't terrible the last two games? We dominated, and failed to take chances, and made some mistakes.

5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I'm afraid I'm more in Hughseys' camp than Btron's, although I agree that we are better than in seasons past.

We're better, but really haven't "gelled" yet, as CR sort of implied would take time.

But the standard of most other teams seems to have lifted this season. Which is ironic after all that happened last year. And it's good for the A League.

Compared to the firepower some teams have upfront, we're not close, unfortunately. And that isn't all that's wrong in the team.

But hopefully, with more time, our team can gain more fluency and cohesion.

As is often said here, we live in hope.

Wait, what is my "camp"?

I've said we need to finish better and that it's a concern that our defending has fallen away of late. I'm not living in a delusional biased world that hughsey seems to think anyone that has any positivity is living in.

If my camp is "the sky hasn't fallen in because we lost a game", then yeah that is my camp.

But plenty of teams in plenty of leagues in plenty of sports around the world have been so-so by the 9th game only to go on and win, and plenty of teams have been flying high after 9 games and nosedived.

The negativity in this place astounds me. We're coming out of a pandemic, we just saw a 5 goal game followed by a 7 goal thriller, we got some of the atmosphere back tonight, we've got a team that looks better than we've had in a while, and we're only 9 games in but people have written the obituary already. **** me.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Anyone who thinks we are a top 6 side is delusional in their bias - we are going to get swallowed once the teams below us start making up their games in hand and that result tonight just made that an even greater likelihood of happening.

Who are these teams that are going to swallow us up?

Stayed off here until now 

Just reading the overly negative doom and gloom, you lot are sounding like the Everton supporters, that’s my gig 

We let three soft goals in, it will get fixed

But in the spirit of doom and gloom 

- I missed the first goal as I was bringing kids back (more on that later) but on replay it was soft

- second goal, for godsake put a challenge in 

- third that’s what happens when you are pushing late in a game, but yes I think most of us would have took a yellow and stopped it 

On the more positive 

Willmerring has a good left foot and gives us width 

dorrans is really smart player 

it’s great to see duke back 

other stuff, so my kids team were supposed to do player mascot.

Unfortunately due to Covid there was a mix up, foxtel changed it round so instead of the kids being allocated a player in the tunnel, the Players were supposed to get the kids to come with them from the edge of the pitch. Nobody told the players so the kids were left standing there confused. 

on the bright none of the kids ran on tr pitch or gave each wedgies on live TV so that is a plus

They still had a good day, got to go out down the tunnel etc 

Other thing was good to watch the game from a different bay (up high in 226)  

Edited by StringerBellend
4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Think he means there a bunch of teams with 2-3 games in hand if they win them they go above us 4th is a bit of a false position.

I’m still positive, we look a much better side than previous years, we have some good players who are only just getting fit, but we do need to stop dropping points soon

Tuesday would be a good start 

6 hours ago, btron3000 said:

I replied to your comment in the match thread yesterday with this but have updated it to factor in our game yesterday. We are currently:

- 1 point above Perth who have 3 games in hand

- 2 points above the Smurf’s who have 2 games in hand

- 4 points above City who have 2 games in hand 

- 2 points above WU who have 2 games in hand

If Sydney win this afternoon then we will drop down to 5th already. It’s not looking pretty. If everyone was currently on the same number of games I reckon we’d be sitting about 7/8th.

I admire your optimism and positivity but I don’t think I or anyone else are being negative on the contrary. The team is not playing or being managed well and it needs to be called out. No point burying heads in the sand about it and pretending it’s not a real problem.

I’m tired of being fed this BS (in all sport tbh) about rebuilding, “taking time”, “work to do”, “Need to be better” etc. Every game of sport you play, you play to win - it’s pretty simple. What does that say to your fans who spend their hard earned to turn up each week? In what other profession can you just put in half arsed effort and excuse it in such a way? I don’t expect to win every game but I at least expect we go out with the mentality that we will.

The standards and drive for excellence that this club once had is currently in the gutter. 

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

other stuff, so my kids team were supposed to do player mascot.

Unfortunately due to Covid there was a mix up, foxtel changed it round so instead of the kids being allocated a player in the tunnel, the Players were supposed to get the kids to come with them from the edge of the pitch. Nobody told the players so the kids were left standing there confused. 

on the bright none of the kids ran on tr pitch or gave each wedgies on live TV so that is a plus

They still had a good day, got to go out down the tunnel etc 

This makes me so sad!! :( :( 

Not gonna lie - that would've made for great viewing if the kids did run onto the pitch and gave each other wedgies!! 

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m still positive, we look a much better side than previous years, we have some good players who are only just getting fit, but we do need to stop dropping points soon

This.

11 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Wait, what is my "camp"?

I've said we need to finish better and that it's a concern that our defending has fallen away of late. I'm not living in a delusional biased world that hughsey seems to think anyone that has any positivity is living in.

If my camp is "the sky hasn't fallen in because we lost a game", then yeah that is my camp.

But plenty of teams in plenty of leagues in plenty of sports around the world have been so-so by the 9th game only to go on and win, and plenty of teams have been flying high after 9 games and nosedived.

The negativity in this place astounds me. We're coming out of a pandemic, we just saw a 5 goal game followed by a 7 goal thriller, we got some of the atmosphere back tonight, we've got a team that looks better than we've had in a while, and we're only 9 games in but people have written the obituary already. **** me.

Your positivity is refreshing Btron, and is needed here...I agree.

We do tend to be too critical in general.

You haven't been unreasonably optimistic, and I shouldn't have suggested that you were the leader of any  "camp".

Sorry. 

:) :)

10 hours ago, hughsey said:

The most telling moment was around the 55th min mark where Dorans had the ball on halfway and literally stood there for 5 seconds with it trying to find anyone who’d make some sort of run. He got nothing.

The thing that annoyed me the most with this was Yeboah. If you’re in Dorrans position and nobody is giving you a short option you either need to turn and play back to the keeper, or go long and play a ball over the top of the defence for our forwards to run on to.

The whole time Dorrans had his foot on the ball Yeboah was standing still, two metres offside.

32 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

It’s times like these I go back to my budding FIFA 21 career mode

I’m managing Harrogate Town, newly promoted to League 1, and just signed Angel Di Maria as a free agent...

Harrogate Town lol ! I approve :good:

12 hours ago, mack said:

Sorry about the post above

Those are pretty impressive stats Mack could I suggest that maybe (dunno if Veart is smart enough) that Wellington Adelaide etc: have worked out that if they let us attack on the flanks and they defend narrow we don't have the firepower down the middle to worry them especially considering Cox and Muller are not the tallest players in the League and along with that we cant defend set pieces,, Just Saying     

Too many people saying things like "it'll get fixed"

We're a third of the way into the season. How long do we give the team to fix it? We've been in nsw for the past 2 months. Struggled to win points we should have. How are they going to go once we have to travel again?

We had 5 starters on the bench. This is arguably the best depth we or the league has atm. #noexcuses 

24 minutes ago, Keithie said:

I think Robbo will fix it as soon as starts playing our best side regularly

That's going to be difficult when we have to play only a few days apart. Squad rotation is inevitable. We have enough quality to win these kinds of games no matter who is on the park 

1 minute ago, Erebus said:

That's going to be difficult when we have to play only a few days apart. Squad rotation is inevitable. We have enough quality to win these kinds of games no matter who is on the park 

That is where we have a better squad than last year. You now have the luxury to look at your bench for answers.... just wished that after 90secs/30mins/60mins we didn't have to look for any.
On paper most of our bench would be starters on other teams - if only they were fit or didn't look half arsed when they come in 

27 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Yeah, rotation is always inevitable. But you need to know your go to starting 11 and who are the players that 'aren't regular starters, but can come in and do a job', those are the kind of players popa worked out and knew how to blend around his first option 11.

At the moment we are all over the place. And that is in part due to the arrivals of Duke, Mutch and Dorrans, it should get better and we should finish this season strongly....

Edited by Smoggy
4 hours ago, Keithie said:

Those are pretty impressive stats Mack could I suggest that maybe (dunno if Veart is smart enough) that Wellington Adelaide etc: have worked out that if they let us attack on the flanks and they defend narrow we don't have the firepower down the middle to worry them especially considering Cox and Muller are not the tallest players in the League and along with that we cant defend set pieces,, Just Saying     

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. Whenever we play wide and spread the opposition they’re in all sorts - admittedly our delivery into the box leaves a lot to be desired but we still look dangerous. It’s when the opposition are compact and/or we try and play through the middle as we so regularly seem to change to for no reason, that we get monstered. If we are smart enough to figure this out on an Internet forum then I’m sure opposition managers have.

20 hours ago, scarcev said:

why on earth we are wasting 60mins with an impotent attack every week, whether that is Yeboah/Ibini or Cox/Yeboah, we seem to have nothing for the first 60mins of each match and nothing until the subs come on. I think Natta needs a rest, getting found out in defence last couple of weeks, no harm to him but he is a kid, doesnt help with another kid outside him in Wilmering, need to get a Georgevski or something out there with more experience on that side.  Game changed when Duke missed the 1 on 1, that goes in we win, unfortunately dont take your chances you dont win, thats football.  

That's why they didn't wanted him in South Arabia not because was sick.

6 hours ago, Erebus said:

Too many people saying things like "it'll get fixed"

We're a third of the way into the season. How long do we give the team to fix it? We've been in nsw for the past 2 months. Struggled to win points we should have. How are they going to go once we have to travel again?

We had 5 starters on the bench. This is arguably the best depth we or the league has atm. #noexcuses 

Maybe it is a five year plan. 🤔

3 minutes ago, HillsPanther said:

Maybe it is a five year plan. 🤔

Delayed start to the season so...”you will see the best of us by Easter”.........

Rather than the usual we will be shyte till Christmas....

Edited by Smoggy
7 hours ago, Keithie said:

Kamau’s goal came from a willmering cross

Mueller might not be tall but he can head a ball

Duke is good in there, Ibini should be 

The problem is often the quality of the crosses for us and where we cross from. Russell tends to cross to early form too deep, he needs to get to the byline to cross (much harder to defend)

DG and Aqualina both tend to come back to their right foot to cross from left 

Edited by StringerBellend
21 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Oh my god some of the nonsense on here. I get it, people are frustrated we lost. But this stuff about this being a terrible game, we looked like strangers, we look like last year, they were more than one goal better than us, is all pure rubbish.

Possession 56% to 44%

Shots 26 to 14

Crosses 43 to 7

Corners 19 to 0.

We failed to take our chances, and we made some bad mistakes on defence, but if getting twice as many shots off and totally dominating crosses and corners is a terrible performance, well give me that any day. 

I swear some people think these guys are playing in the European Champions League, the expectations you have on them.

Again, those stats don't mean anything. We didn't dominate, we weren't moving the ball quick enough and Adelaide took their chances and make them count.