Jump to content

Costco.


Recommended Posts

I know this is a bit random but I thought it might be worthy as a thread for discussion. Costco discussion.

 

I went to the Marsden Park Costco outlet for the first time today. In fact, it's the first time I've ever been to any Costco. 

Yeh, yeh, I know I'm probs about 5 years behind the times, but I was quite impressed. 

I went with the ex mrs who is a member and it was a chance to give young Wandergirl another driving lesson. Anyway, I came home with a bit of stuff I didn't think I would, like the largest ******* packet of Doritos I've ever seen. Lol.

Anyway, as I said, I was quite impressed. I also bought some spring rolls which I did in the air fryer tonight. The fried rice I cooked myself. Tasty. :)

I also bought some Spainish Chorizo which will go well in pastas and slow cooked meals and even on the BBQ. Also bought some cabanossi - a huge pack for about 4 bucks. I might become a member. 

 

?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format

Link to post
1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Spring rolls are a starter, not a main meal. Same bracket a prawn toast, money bags and prawn crackers...

Disagree. These are big bastards. And, did you not notice my delicious fried rice? That makes it a meal. :)

Anyway, this is about Costco, not my meal. :)

Link to post

We have a Costco membership at my place although we probably go only once every 2-3 months. Probably break even after accounting for all the savings, less the $60 (?) yearly fee.

Their cafeteria thing with the $1 hotdogs are fantastic though. The pizzas are also pretty good along with the buffalo chicken wings (although those are found in store). Other stuff they sell at the cafeteria isn't that great. Got the churros last time. I got one churro. Quite doughy.

Link to post

Surprised you didn't check out the safes, the jewelry, the compressors?

Didn't you check out the alcohol section?

My wife and i joined last Christmas and we now limit our trips to Casula. Today was our first since January and we always spend more than we think. 

However, the 5kg Chocolate Quik has not run out yet but the milk seems to regularly.

Link to post

A family friend was a member a few years ago and she would call us when she was visiting the one in Casula/Crossroads. The first time we went, I got the chocolate muffins and the cooked chicken wings. 

The muffins are by far the best muffins. Way better than the ones you get in Woolworths, Coles etc. 

We had the wings later that night and they were OK, the only issue is as soon as you buy them, you basically have to eat them immediately.

I said to my partner that once we settled into our new house, we'll probably sign up to be members and then go once every 3-6 months. It's definitely a store you wouldn't go every week like I normally do when doing the grocery shopping.

Link to post

I spent $800 on my first trip to Costco. Not kidding. Since then, we really limit our spending when we go. 

For a membership to make sense, you either need a large family, entertain a lot or have plenty of space to store stuff. We have a large walk-in pantry, so we buy all of our toiletries, cleaning supplies, non-perishables and TP/Paper Towel from Costco. We go maybe once a quarter for those things. 

We cut-back on the food we buy from there, because we just don't eat it all. We'll get snacks and stuff like canned tuna and the occasional bakery item, but we find we don't eat enough of the meat and fresh food to make it worth it. 

The clothing, eyewear and footwear sections are pretty good value and good quality but we don't buy regularly. 

The funny thing I find with Costco here is that it's so tame compared to the US versions. We went to the one in Hawaii when we were there and it was crazy. Fun fact: your Costco membership is internationally recognised. We bought some OTC pharmaceuticals from there that they don't sell here.

Link to post
2 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

I spent $800 on my first trip to Costco. Not kidding. Since then, we really limit our spending when we go. 

For a membership to make sense, you either need a large family, entertain a lot or have plenty of space to store stuff. We have a large walk-in pantry, so we buy all of our toiletries, cleaning supplies, non-perishables and TP/Paper Towel from Costco. We go maybe once a quarter for those things. 

We cut-back on the food we buy from there, because we just don't eat it all. We'll get snacks and stuff like canned tuna and the occasional bakery item, but we find we don't eat enough of the meat and fresh food to make it worth it. 

The clothing, eyewear and footwear sections are pretty good value and good quality but we don't buy regularly. 

The funny thing I find with Costco here is that it's so tame compared to the US versions. We went to the one in Hawaii when we were there and it was crazy. Fun fact: your Costco membership is internationally recognised. We bought some OTC pharmaceuticals from there that they don't sell here.

I was talking to someone about Costco today. He buys fuel for his car there. $1.19 instead of $1.80.

But he goes past his local Costco twice a day.  

Link to post
2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I was talking to someone about Costco today. He buys fuel for his car there. $1.19 instead of $1.80.

But he goes past his local Costco twice a day.  

Cars were 6 to 8 deep on Sunday at Casula when petrol was starting to head up

Link to post
14 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Cars were 6 to 8 deep on Sunday at Casula when petrol was starting to head up

Yep, the queues were obscene.

Link to post

I remember visiting the original Lidcombe shop one lunchtime not long after it opened as I was working at Auburn at the time. Whilst I appreciate the bulk savings it was feral in there with shoppers loading up their trolleys to the max with no regard for fellow shoppers. I haven't returned as it was not an enjoyable shopping experience.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...