Western Sydney Wanderers vs Wellington Phoenix 15/03/2021 7:05PM

Looking forward to taking my youngest to his first WSW match tom night, not to mention it's his birthday (do they still put names on the big screen?). Thought, what better a way to cap off your 6th birthday than a trip out of woketown to build some character standing in the rain and waking up wrecked for school the next day.

27 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Looking forward to taking my youngest to his first WSW match tom night, not to mention it's his birthday (do they still put names on the big screen?). Thought, what better a way to cap off your 6th birthday than a trip out of woketown to build some character standing in the rain and waking up wrecked for school the next day.

It's a very special day when you take your son to their first ever Wanderers game.

My son was 8. It was the first ever derby at Pirtek in season 1 and very close to his birthday so I bought him a membership on the way into the ground, so he could get some merchandise etc.... and have his very own ticket. For an 8 year old, it seemed very special. At that age, he was seriously obsessed with football, and still is.

Memories that both he and I have never forgotten. Sadly, I didn't get a membership that year (I just kept going to games with him and we went to almost all of them). He still ribs me that he is a foundation member and I'm not. Cheeky ****er.  I signed up for season two and have been a member ever since.

Edited by Wanderboy

What's even more special is that he is now 18 and is still coming to games with me. Not sure how long that will last, but I particularly enjoy every single match day with him, and the meals we share before matches in Eat Street each and every game day just like we have done for the past 9 seasons.

The dynamic game day experience of the Wanderers fans and diversity of culture has been a great learning experience for a young one.

For the first 8 years of his life (and before the Wanderers came along), he was an Eels fan like me.

That quickly changed. both for him, and me. 

He's had two particularly great days, amongst many. We flew to Brisbane for the GF, we went to the pre match pub and did the biggest march ever. 

We also caught the train to the ACL first leg final and chatted with Al Hilal fans along the way. They were scared of Wanderers fans and the march so we accompanied them to the ground. It was my way of showing young Wanderboy that football really is the world game. 

Edited by Wanderboy
5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

What's even more special is that he is now 18 and is still coming to games with me. Not sure how long that will last, but I particularly enjoy every single match day with him, and the meals we share before matches in Eat Street each and every game day just like we have done for the past 9 seasons.

The dynamic game day experience of the Wanderers fans and diversity of culture has been a great learning experience for a young one.

For the first 8 years of his life (and before the Wanderers came along), he was an Eels fan like me.

That quickly changed. both for him, and me. 

He's had two particularly great days, amongst many. We flew to Brisbane for the GF, we went to the pre match pub and did the biggest march ever. 

We also caught the train to the ACL first leg final and chatted with Al Hilal fans along the way. They were scared of Wanderers fans and the march so we accompanied them to the ground. It was my way of showing young Wanderboy that football really is the world game. 

Can't you be both a Parra and Wanderers fan? I definitely am. 

3 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Yes, absolutely. I still am as well. Never miss an Eels game, either live or on tele. My son however, is football first and Parra a distant second. I will never deny him that choice.

Fair enough. Parra done themselves no favours being absolute **** house between 2012-2016 whilst the wanderers were flying high. But I'll always love both of them equally. Still waiting to see Parra win a comp though. May be a while 😅

12 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

Fair enough. Parra done themselves no favours being absolute **** house between 2012-2016 whilst the wanderers were flying high. But I'll always love both of them equally. Still waiting to see Parra win a comp though. May be a while 😅

Agreed. I was at '81, '82, '83 and '86 grand finals. Even '76 and both of '77's. The Wanderers success's turned me towards football a bit because I've always wanted football to be big in this country, even though I grew up with league. 

It's the match day experience that sets football so far ahead of RL, or any other sport in this country for that matter.

10 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Well this game is now critical for table position 

A win means 2nd for a week, a draw means 5th and a loss means we stay 6th.

Then its Perth, hopefully with heavy legs but with one extra days rest.

A loss would be a disaster. WU have a winnable game against Macarthur, Perth play us and Wellington & Roar play each other. We could easily end up in 9th.

Wellington Phoenix squad: 1.Stefan MARINOVIC (gk), 2.Liam McGING, 4.Te Atawhai HUDSON-WIHONGI, 5.James MCGARRY, 6.Tim PAYNE, 7.Reno PISCOPO, 8.Cameron DEVLIN, 9.David BALL, 10.Ulises DAVILA, 11.Jaushua SOTIRIO, 12.Matthew RIDENTON, 13.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY, 14.Alex RUFER, 15.Mirza MURATOVIC, 16.Louis FENTON, 17.Tomer HEMED, 18.Ben WAINE, 20.Oliver SAIL, 21.Joshua LAWS, 23.Clayton LEWIS
**2-3 to be omitted**

Ins: 4.Te Atawhai HUDSON-WIHONGI (promoted), 11.Jaushua SOTIRIO (return from injury)

Outs: N/A

Unavailable: 3.Luke DEVERE (knee injury, 10 weeks), 27.Steven TAYLOR (quarantine, 1 week)

WSW Lineup: Margush, Wilmering, Natta, McGowan, Gordon, Russell, Mutch, Baccus, Troisi, Ibini, Duke

Subs: Kamau, O'Doherty, Cox, Yeboah, Muller, Aquilina, James

Wellington: Sail, McGarry, McGing, Payne, Fenton, Lewis, Rufer, Piscopo, Davila, Ball, Waine

Subs: Marinovic, Devlin, Sotirio, Ridenton, Lokoli-Ngoy, Hemed, Laws

Muller on the bench again. Did he plough a field that wasn’t his, so to speak? He is the only one with any drive up the middle and he’s the only one not being rotated in.

And thankfully we’ve got our only in form goal scorer in Kamau on the bench. Wouldn’t want to endanger the Nix goal till we are at least 2 down

Edited by Upthehill
20 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Muller on the bench again. Did he plough a field that wasn’t his, so to speak? He is the only one with any drive up the middle and he’s the only one not being rotated in.

And thankfully we’ve got our only in form goal scorer in Kamau on the bench. Wouldn’t want to endanger the Nix goal till we are at least 2 down

Muller's extremely unlucky. Hope he's given a decent amount of time on the pitch tonight.  Still got that God awful back three, get rid of it please.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic