Duke Leads Domination Of Perth

The Western Sydney Wanderers took on Perth Glory on a windy and rainswepth Friday afternoon at Parramatta. Carl Robinson elected to place Jordan Mutch to the bench in favour of Graham Dorrans. The Wanderers playing the first game of the weekend were looking to get 3 points clear in 2nd place and put themselves in striking position of the Central Coast Mariners, a Perth win could put them into the top 6, a draw threatened either side's ladder position. The Wanderers took all three points with a dominant performance, taking advantage of terrible defending to ring up a 3-0 victory.

As the Wanderers needed to tighten up in the early stages and Perth were coming into the game with a 3 game streak without a win, the sides spent the opening stages feeling each other out, probing without getting in behind. Nick D'Agostino had a shot on target 10 minutes in that flashed just wide of the post. A minute later the Wanderers should have opened the scoring. Mitch Duke, Mark Natta and Tate Russell combined to let the striker have a neat shot on target, a rebound fell to Bruce Kamau who failed to beat Reddy from point blank range, the ball found James Troisi, with an effectively empty net he scooped the shot over the bar.

Bernie Ibini thought he'd given the Wanderers the lead 21 minutes in, scoring his second goal of the season and perhaps justifying Graham Arnold's call for him to return to the Australian national team lineup. He was played through on goal by a superb curling ball from Daniel Wilmering, ran in on goal and finished smartly at the far post. After a brief VAR interlude the officials hand went up to signal offside, with the replays showing the barest of margins, perhaps all of 30 centimetres of difference. None the less, it was disallowed. Ibini had another chance moments later, only to smash the ball right into Liam Reddy.

Ibini then had an identical goal chalked off by the VAR and the linesman, again being put through on goal, it seemed quite clearly offside but as the style is, the linesman kept the flag down. Ibini waltzed into the area and managed to beat Reddy with a very slow spinning shot.

Incredibly the Wanderers had a third goal taken off them by the VAR. This time Mitch Duke turned in a low cross from Daniel Wilmering, only for the replay to show Wilmering had strayed offside prior to his cross. Mitch Duke was finally onside with another break on goal in the 35th minute, but his poor first touch took him so far away from goal that it would have taken a world class shot, and even with the poor angle he bought out a wonderful fingertip save from Liam Reddy. Wilmering wanted to make up for his offside error late in the half, he was played into an acre of space by Keanu Baccus, the first touch of the wingback was slightly too heavy and it let Perth close him down to block his shot.

After 45 minutes of frustration the Wanderers did finally take the lead in stoppage time. James Troisi cut out a Baccus ball intended for Tate Russell, he then cut inside onto his left and floated a delightful chip to the far post. Mitch Duke rose like a spawning salmon, destroyed his opponent aerially and powered a header into the back of the net to give Liam Reddy absolutely zero chance of a save.

Barely a minute into the second half, Mitch Duke and the Wanderers had their second goal. Another lofted through-ball from Baccus found Duke, he beat Bodnar all ends up and finished across Liam Reddy.

Perth Glory's suicidal high defensive line was exposed yet again by the Wanderers and Troisi was the recipient of a tap-in to make it 3-0. Ibini was played in on goal for the umpteenth time, he got tangled up with the cover defender before he could shoot but managed to pass the ball over to Troisi who was unmarked and he strode into the mouth of the goal to walk the ball in for the Wanderers 3rd of the evening.

Ziggy Gordon turned in one of the best tackles of the game. Brandon Wilson shot at goal but he mistimed it, and it fell straight to Andy Keogh, and with the rest of the defence out of place, Gordon appeared out of nowhere to block the shot from a few yards out to send it out for a corner. Margush then saved a tap-in, after a night with little to do, Dane Ingham beat Natta and fired a low cross into the 6 yard box. Margush stuck out a hand to clear it away from the onrushing attackers.

Perth had a late chance for a consolation goal after Tate Russell clipped an attacker near the corner flag, but Perth did what they had all night, failed to connect with the final ball and it was cleared away by substitute Jordan Mutch. The 3-0 scoreline flattered Perth, who played a kamikaze defensive line that the Wanderers penetrated at ease. The win put the home side 3 clear of Adelaide with a significant goal difference advantage, the more wins the better the position will be once the games played evens out toward the end of the season.

The Wanderers next game is against Melbourne City in Melbourne on Friday March 26 with kick-off at 7:05pm EDT.

View full article

Another great game by the Wanderers
They gave effort throughout the whole 90 minutes
Troisi, Ibini have finally stepped up and played the expectations that were required not only from Robinson, but the fans. It's just unfortunate Ibini's goals were disallowed but he I hope that doesn't frustrate him and he plays the same next match
Duke gave a man of the match performance.
Wilmering should get a call up to the Olyroos.

Hopefully, they play like this against City next week

1 minute ago, tardotz said:

Still not convinced that Troisi and Ibini should start but this was their best game so far.

Ziggy must be the most underrated player we have as he gives 120% every single time.

Different position but up there with Shinji...a proper visa player.

Looks like Robbo’s figured out where to put the players he needs to make this direct, counter attacking system work. We’ve put the ball in the back of the net 10 times in the last two games and two of the offside calls were so close that the goal wasn’t because they were offside. It’ll be interesting to see how it works against a competent defence that sits deep but I’m enjoying it while it’s working.

Also there have to be questions about Garcia at Perth. Their team might not be as good as in recent seasons but they’re still decent. That insane high line was his game plan, having seen us score three goals that way on Monday. Then when we put the ball in the net four times in the first half he decided to leave it unchanged for the second half.

38 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

Duke gets another clutch second half goal

I wonder if that is the fastest goal scored by WSW in a second half?

I think the earliest second half goal in a competitive game was Mark Bridge's penalty against Wellington at 47:40. Duke was 46:18.

18 minutes ago, tardotz said:

Still not convinced that Troisi and Ibini should start but this was their best game so far.

Ziggy must be the most underrated player we have as he gives 120% every single time.

Ibini bossed it, totally bullied their centre backs

Duke is different class

The Parklea Messi was class

Really impressed with the effort put in by all the players tonight. Yes it’s good to win but was so enjoyable how they won. They fought all the way, won 50-50 balls, got to the aerial balls more often and just destroyed the silly high defensive line Perth put up. Two moments for me. Ziggy’s astonishing last gasp heroics to prevent Perth scoring and Duke finding the extra gear to power upfield, repeatedly beating his man. Great commitment and great to see.

Dominant display at home. Our best performance all season, first AND second half, arguably against one of the better teams in the league.

Thank god I could attend the game tonight and we actually won after missing last game. RBB filled the whole middle section, looked and sounded pretty good in the ground. Keep building it up lads!

First half was very impressive. Close margins for the 3 disallowed goals, ultimately they were the correct calls just like the one against Wellington.

What a ball from Troisi, he was having a crap game, one beautiful pass to the back post changed it. Skied a shot from about 6 yards out but thankfully couldn't miss with an open net. Happy with his contribution, still think he works very hard.

Ibini should be extremely proud with his efforts today, for me he ripped apart that Glory defence despite being offside twice. Joint man of the match for me.

Duke is hitting form again, both goals were class and celebration displayed great passion. Should have gotten a hat-trick, so close but just went wide before he got subbed. Also joint man of the match.

Ziggy Gordon is an Ono level signing, one of our best signings in recent history.

Wilmering is special, really like this kid, looks like he hasn't even peaked yet and is still growing.

Margush looks a bit more confident aerially now? Ive seen him catch a lot more balls and seems a lot more commanding from crosses and long balls.

Baccus is back to his better self after a stint on the bench.

Thought Yeboah would've had the confidence to shoot into an open net, Reddy absolutely smothered him.

I question Garcia's tactics, he didn't change the high line defence which got destroyed. Sullivan at rightback is a big no no for me, he got absolutely murdered and hooked at half time.

I also question the harmony of the Glory team, they seem to argue a lot with each other, especially Reddy and Sullivan, Reddy absolutely gives it to him constantly which i'm sure doesn't particularly help Sullivan playing in a totally foreign position. Both got into a scrap in the Mariners game.

Onto a huge matchup vs City, hopefully Robinson can adjust tactically compared to our last showing against them and we can be a lot more competitive than we were previously.

We defended throughout the game relatively comfortably, while we looked dangerous on the quick counterattacks.  I reckon Perth could've tried for a few more halves tonight, but they weren't going to put the ball in the back of our net.  The 3-0 result in the end I think is a bit flattering for Perth, they're very lucky that they weren't hit for 6.

In summary, it was a proper thrashing ... I loved it, so more of this please! :good::clapping::woah:

Great win.

Stopped everyone but Castro from anytime on the ball. Even stopped serial diver Fakeroli from his usual antics.

The only issue to come out of this game was Dorrans getting his 7th yellow card.

Despite the VAR overrules for offside, from where i sat, 2 should have called earlier than they were. My son said the fact 3 balls in the back of net to none broke the Perth spirit.

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the subs went and warmed up down the other end of the field last night, cramming into the same space as Perth. I know there’s been some people having a few choice words in recent games to give them but that’s pretty disappointing to desert your home end like that IMO...

6 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the subs went and warmed up down the other end of the field last night, cramming into the same space as Perth. I know there’s been some people having a few choice words in recent games to give them but that’s pretty disappointing to desert your home end like that IMO...

Perhaps it was sodden 

12 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I read somewhere else last night that there was an issue with those firework thingies.

A solid win against Perth and VAR.

I think this was Ibini's best game for us and was very unlucky not to have the first goal awarded to him.

Duke was superb, I'm glad we got him back.

Now onto Melbourne Heart next week