Duke Leads Domination Of Perth

I can’t remember exactly but weren’t the flame thrower things down the other end also? 

The ground behind the field where they usually warm up looked no different to normal, it’s always patchy there.

Seemed fairly purposeful to me.

Unbelievablely, we are 3 points behind the Sea-Poachers.

All results are good for us

A loss for the Sea-Poachers means we stay with a 3 point gap. Neither team has games in hand. However, Heartle$$ have 2 games in hand.

A draw takes 2 points offs off both Heartle$$ and the Sea-Poachers.

A win for the Sea-Poachers takes 3 points off Heartle$$.

we were good but geez Perff made it easy.  To play against the wanderers you let them have the ball, play deep and watch their outside backs throw hopeful crosses into a packed box and then get them on the counter, Garcia did the exact opposite and with a high line and the speed we have up there, it was only ever going to go one way.  Having said that Garcia had 3 close calls to switch it up and simply didn't.  On the other hand team selections and go forward quick strategy against those defenders was a masterclass from Robinson, got his tactics spot on. 

We were good and defending very well to keep Fornarolli, Keogh and Castro scoreless, really chanceless and we had plenty of good players and don't want to put a dampener on it but I do think the opposition and their dumb tactics played right to our strengths tonight and don't agree with the Bozza led, we are back baby talk as yet.  Just over a week ago we were thinking here we go again.  Lets see how we go against the best team in the league for mine Melbourne City who absolutely destroyed us not long ago and then the 4 game in less than two weeks stretch of 3/4 Roar, 6/4 CCM, 10/4 AU, 16/4 Roar which will determine how serious we are.

11 hours ago, tardotz said:

Still not convinced that Troisi and Ibini should start but this was their best game so far.

Ziggy must be the most underrated player we have as he gives 120% every single time.

Love Ziggy's passion and commitment.  Starting to wonder if he isn't taking the piss with his bio though.  A while ago I heard it said that he is a former Glasgow lifesaver.  Last night I heard former Scotland chess champion.  What else has this man done?

11 hours ago, Davo said:

Looks like Robbo’s figured out where to put the players he needs to make this direct, counter attacking system work. We’ve put the ball in the back of the net 10 times in the last two games and two of the offside calls were so close that the goal wasn’t because they were offside. It’ll be interesting to see how it works against a competent defence that sits deep but I’m enjoying it while it’s working.

Also there have to be questions about Garcia at Perth. Their team might not be as good as in recent seasons but they’re still decent. That insane high line was his game plan, having seen us score three goals that way on Monday. Then when we put the ball in the net four times in the first half he decided to leave it unchanged for the second half.

I thought the Glory coaching staff looked like some kind of lame break dancing crew in those black tracksuits and baseball caps.

1 minute ago, LeeMarvin said:

Love Ziggy's passion and commitment.  Starting to wonder if he isn't taking the piss with his bio though.  A while ago I heard it said that he is a former Glasgow lifesaver.  Last night I heard former Scotland chess champion.  What else has this man done?

discovered the Covid-19 vaccine 

14 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

He was a national champion in chess as a child, choosing to concentrate on football after youth matches clashed with tournaments in the board game at weekends

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggy_Gordon

It's the day after, and the rain has been pouring all morning, so what else is there to do than watch and enjoy last night's performance again - here is the link to the 10-minute mini match:

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/video/western-sydney-wanderers-v-perth-glory-mini-match-a-league

PS: At 6:35 in the video, as Duke is leaping over the advertising sign to celebrate his second goal, the RBB are in the background and there is a dude in the middle jumping up-and-down and waiving his crutch - kudos to the man who can do that with a broken leg! :drinks: 

14 hours ago, tardotz said:

Still not convinced that Troisi and Ibini should start but this was their best game so far.

Ziggy must be the most underrated player we have as he gives 120% every single time.

I think he's got it right with the starters. Troisi frustrates but his style is that he will glide around and knock the ball around and then occasionally show his quality, like the cross for the goal. He's not going to give you a lot of immediate thrust off the bench so I think it suits him to be out there for the long haul.

And Duke and Ibini up front give us a great outlet if the passes along the floor aren't working. It didn't seem to matter last night what side of the pitch or which defender had the ball, if they couldn't see an easy pass they could clip it up to one of the front two and they did a great job of holding it up. Both of them - Ibini especially - had some heavy touches but hey, it's the A-league.

You could argue Muller for Troisi but I think Muller has been hit and miss. You could definitely argue Cox for Ibini but I think Cox is more like Duke in terms of the places he looks to come deep to help link up, except Mitch has way more energy so finds the ball more and then actually gets on the end of the balls back into the box. And as someone else said - Ibini is a huge body that suits the early, more physical part of the game. Cox will get his go, whether through injury or just the normal ebb and flow of a season.

I doubt they're gonna go Duke-Ibini-Cox - too similar. That leaves Brucey and Yeboah who are both most definitely suited to provide some pace and thrust off the bench. 

The front three starters are pretty set I reckon. Ibini may move in and out, but Duke and Troisi will stay.

I forgot to mention this last night so I'll mention it now.

Perth's line-up really caught my attention. I don't think Garcia has a clue what he is doing:

• Sullivan is playing at right back which is quite odd as he has been a midfielder throughout his whole career. I don't think he has settled in this position at all and that's how Duke easily got his first goal (I'm talking about the header) as D'Agostino had to try and defend it as Sullivan was off his guard. There's Ingram, Rawlins, Tatafu, Ostler and Malik that all have more experience playing right back, it just seems very absurd to have Sullivan in that position. Personally, Sullivan off the bench and replacing the likes Kilkenny, Castro, Wilson or just any of the midfielders would be a smart choice in my opinion
  • Aspro being benched over youngster Bodnar was an odd choice. I'm going to assume Malik is somehow injured as I'm sure he would be the best choice for them over Aspro and Bodnar.
  • Where the f*ck is Sebastian Langkamp?! He hasn't been used or seen once yet (and they signed him for two years!)

Their back 4 would just always be too far up the pitch or just not in position at all. It was making it easy for Duke and Ibini to just get quick counter attacks all night.

Glory made it easy for Duke to scored the second goal as Ota and Ingram were off their position and too far up the field. Lachman was defending Ibini who positioned himself to the right side of the field and Duke sprinted to the left so that Bodnar was the only trying to defend Duke

The third was basically a repeat expect, Ota and Ingram are too far up the pitch while Lachman is by himself trying to defend Ibini and Troisi was there as a backup for Ibini.

During the press-conference, Garcia blamed the youngsters for not being consistent. Sorry...but your whole team is not consistent. Personally, I don't see him being at Glory for long as well.

3 hours ago, jockman said:

Good to see the players getting into who do we sing for with the RBB again to celebrate the win..watching some of the newer players ...still not sure what to make of it lol..

It's all so clear now - we couldn't start winning at home until Duke was back to lead the celebrations.

17 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Where the f*ck is Sebastian Langkamp?! He hasn't been used or seen once yet (and they signed him for two years!)

Pretty sure he's either in quarantine or it's just finished.

5 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:
  •  
  • Where the f*ck is Sebastian Langkamp?! He hasn't been used or seen once yet (and they signed him for two years!)

He injured his wrist in training. 

It was a ruthless performance by the boyz we put the foot down on Perth and held them down the whole game. Ziggy block at 3-0 epitomises the performance.

By far Troisi best game in red and black he rolled back the years and its probably the first time we effectively got him in the game this season. Because of that even Ibini had a fantastic game playing to his strengths with his speed. If we play that ruthless again we have a good chance against City in the next game.

Nothing to complain about, really. We’ve come a long way since Boxing Day.

Can’t remember a game we could or should have won 6:0 or higher, against a strong opponent. We have never looked this dangerous on the counter attack, and that has a lot to do with Ibini.

Dorran’s ball to Duke in the build up to the 2:0 was incredible, as was Troisi’s ball into box for the 1:0. That’s where these guys add value.

Garcia was out coached. Period.

CR noted the lack of control in the last 20 minutes or so, something he didn’t appreciate at all. Mueller and Kamau will have to put on that shoe, which is why Troisi is a starting player, and Mueller is not.

CR’s reaction to Tate stuffing up a counter attack was also noticeable, just about screaming his head off. The expectations of the coaching group are high.

Above all of this towers Duke. He is the one who makes the difference. 

9 minutes ago, FCB said:

Dorran’s ball to Duke in the build up to the 2:0 was incredible, as was Troisi’s ball into box for the 1:0. That’s where these guys add value.

That was Baccus.....and Baccus again for the through ball for Troisi's goal......but yeah....so good to have Duke back.

Correction: the long ball in the build up to the 2:0 came from Baccus, 

Just now, sonar said:

That was Baccus.....and Baccus again for the through ball for Troisi's goal......but yeah....so good to have Duke back.

You beat me to it, I am just watching the highlights again, and noticed it. Baccus is a fantastic player. 

Without taking anything away from our very good performance on Fri night how we go against Melb City next week will give us a much better indication of how we really stand. City took us to the cleaners recently and we were fortunate  not lose by much more.

3 hours ago, Ossified said:

Without taking anything away from our very good performance on Fri night how we go against Melb City next week will give us a much better indication of how we really stand. City took us to the cleaners recently and we were fortunate  not lose by much more.

Whilst that's true we're a better team now and City are always subject to lapses despite currently looking like world beaters. They will get tested by the Mariners tomorrow night.

6 hours ago, FCB said:

Correction: the long ball in the build up to the 2:0 came from Baccus, 

You beat me to it, I am just watching the highlights again, and noticed it. Baccus is a fantastic player. 

It was the Parklea Messi, he had a phenomenal game