Wanderers Annihilated In Melbourne

1 minute ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I think the only thing I can really complain about was the free kick conceded that led to the equaliser. I don't think it was a foul, McGowan should have stood on the ball.

Natta learnt a valuable lesson when your in 50/50  challenge go all in otherwise you get hurt. Hopefully it isn't too bad. 

I don't think that Natta could have done anything different IMHO......McGowan on the other hand is a major liability

16 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I think the only thing I can really complain about was the free kick conceded that led to the equaliser. I don't think it was a foul, McGowan should have stood on the ball.

Natta learnt a valuable lesson when your in 50/50  challenge go all in otherwise you get hurt. Hopefully it isn't too bad. 

I'm surprised there hasn't been more said about Nabbout's turning the shoulder into Natta. Whilst I doubt he meant to injure Natta, it was pretty violent and dangerous. That got nothing and an incident where in am still scratching my head to see where the foul was, gets a free that leads to a goal!!???

8 hours ago, hughsey said:

He needs to do less talking and more coaching cause tactically he’s useless. The best tactical display the team has displayed this season was Kenny Miller changing to a back 4 against WU. Other than that, every other win was purely the effort of the players. I think CR is full of hot air

I agree 100%

Just watched the mini match again (dont know why)...

Same problem we have had all season....we cant deal with crosses. This includes the GK and 3 CBs + WBs. Margush struggles to catch a cross and elects to punch. If you punch, you need to clear the 18yard box. 3 CB's barely offer any competition on crosses.

McGowan being the centre of three, crosses usually evade him as their near or far post. Natta not good enough in the air, ziggy is okay. 

I wonder if Vukovic would be happy with a 6 month deal??? No real CB's available, will have to make do. We need some real height, an aerial presence at the back there (Jurman finished his greek holiday?).

On 27/03/2021 at 4:10 PM, BoyFromTheWest said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more said about Nabbout's turning the shoulder into Natta. Whilst I doubt he meant to injure Natta, it was pretty violent and dangerous. That got nothing and an incident where in am still scratching my head to see where the foul was, gets a free that leads to a goal!!???

I've heard that Natta is ok (thank goodness), and that Nabbout sent him a text on Saturday to check on his welfare.

Nice sentiment, but still should have been a free to us.

On 27/03/2021 at 4:10 PM, BoyFromTheWest said:

I had a different reaction. Mine was standard park football tackle and play on. That tackle was the difference between us and them they were 3-1 up and still looking for blood. We were feeling sorry for ourselves getting smacked around granted  we were totally outplayed, Natta needs to go all in into every tackle because if you don't then you end up injured

12 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I had a different reaction. Mine was standard park football tackle and play on. That tackle was the difference between us and them they were 3-1 up and still looking for blood. We were feeling sorry for ourselves getting smacked around granted  we were totally outplayed, Natta needs to go all in into every tackle because if you don't then you end up injured

FFS. 

It’s not nice seeing anyone get cleaned up but it was simply boy vs man contact. I don’t agree it was as dramatic or spiteful as some are making out. In a couple of years time as Natta fills out, that same incident will be a good hard 50/50. He just needs to learn to use his body and protect himself.

Where the issue was for me is that in real time it looked initially to be a head knock which should’ve stopped play immediately. The referee got it wrong in that regard IMO.

1 minute ago, hughsey said:

It’s not nice seeing anyone get cleaned up but it was simply boy vs man contact. I don’t agree it was as dramatic or spiteful as some are making out. In a couple of years time as Natta fills out, that same incident will be a good hard 50/50. He just needs to learn to use his body and protect himself.

Where the issue was for me is that in real time it looked initially to be a head knock which should’ve stopped play immediately. The referee got it wrong in that regard IMO.

Agree on that incident ref should have stopped the game because it did look like head injury on first instance. While I didn't think it was foul it looked serious and Natta was down with his head ref should have stopped play.

But its almost like he was relying on VAR than actually doing his job. 

I reackon Nabbou should have been red carded for the hit on Natta.

When you watch the slow mo replay it looks more and more like a shoulder barge to me. Once he notices he's not going to be first to the ball you can see that he changes his body position sideways to bring his arms down and turn his shoulder inward in the final 1.5M before contact.

Humans don't naturally make that movement in that split second before an impact. Our monkey brains (primal instincts) normally have us pull our arms up to protect our face as 3 of our senses are here.

Sure, I may be wrong about the rules, but if I ran on the pitch on the weekend and dropped the shoulder in late with not even a sniff of getting to the ball I probably wouldn't make it to the sideline.

I'm telling you it was a dog act. He knew he had the momentum to lay the kid out.

Back onto the game and on the team. Were still not getting the best out of this team under the current system and will be a work in progress. I think minimum will be top 6 and first round in finals at the moment now we are passed the half way mark but against City I can't see how we beat them not because the team is not good but because we are not playing to our potential. Perth was probably the first time but that was more on how bad Perth was against us we took advantage. The reverse has happened here against City after going 1-0 up and was just wave after wave of City attacks we couldn't get out of our half.

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

I reackon Nabbou should have been red carded for the hit on Natta.

When you watch the slow mo replay it looks more and more like a shoulder barge to me. Once he notices he's not going to be first to the ball you can see that he changes his body position sideways to bring his arms down and turn his shoulder inward in the final 1.5M before contact.

Humans don't naturally make that movement in that split second before an impact. Our monkey brains (primal instincts) normally have us pull our arms up to protect our face as 3 of our senses are here.

Sure, I may be wrong about the rules, but if I ran on the pitch on the weekend and dropped the shoulder in late with not even a sniff of getting to the ball I probably wouldn't make it to the sideline.

I'm telling you it was a dog act. He knew he had the momentum to lay the kid out.

If I knew how to do memes I would have made one with one side showing Natta out cold on the ground, Ref "Nothing to see here - play on".  On the other side would be a City player on his knees crying, Ref blows the whistle runs up and puts his arm around him.

On 26/03/2021 at 8:23 PM, Keithie said:

We wont be the last to lose 3 points to City , they are very good mature soccer team but I think we let the poor Refereeing decisions impact us.

The poor decisions can impact the younger boys more than the senior guys but tonight I seen every Wanderers player on the field make poor decisions and not once not twice but multiple times, not one player is exempt from that.

In robbo we must have faith because I am sure he learned a lot about the qualities of the players he has tonight including digging deep , intestinal fortitude etc:

We wont finish top of the table in this league, Melbourne city may go close with a team of Mature quality soccer players but we can do alright with this squad, 

My hope is that the club manage to harness the burning pain of this humiliation to inspire the team to improve and go on and win the finals series this season.

You can complain about the refs till the cows come home but it doesn't take away the fact that football wise we were tactically and technically outplayed by City.  They were just too good. Imho opinion. CR had got the formation and tactics wrong.

We gave them time on the ball and we gave them space to play with little or no press in their defensive half. Our goal came via Willmering pressing deep in their half, winning the ball and sending Duke on a run and a great cross for Ibini to score. Their first goal came because we were lax in concentration or weren't switched on. Something we do regularly in games. Good periods and bad periods. 

We are still a top six side even top 4 but if we don't adapt quicker tactically to the opposition then we will have a quick exit from any finals we may play. 

City were great, we were not. The game can be filed away in the "learning experience" folder, section "how not to do it".

One of the key moments for me was in the 24th minute. Troisi on the counter had the time to make a run into the box, and get Duke and Russell in position. Instead he hastily whacks the ball into the box from no mans land, straight into the arms of City's goal keeper. Very poorly done by such an experienced player. Execute that one properly and it can be 0:2. Instead...

Add to that players napping and the refs not giving us an inch, and the score gets away from you, and you end up comprehensively beaten. I am left wondering what might have happened with Mutch and Mueller being on the pitch, maybe demonstrating more ball control.

I’m struggling to see what the point of using our last foreign spot on Mutch was, we are barely using him, and he plays a position in which we already have multiple options. Why we didn’t go for a wing back / full back  that could cross

Basically we need Jerome Polenz

I also can’t work out the 3 at the back obsession when we have two bug centre forwards who can head the ball

need to get decent crosses in, but hard to do with without wingers

1 hour ago, FCB said:

City were great, we were not. The game can be filed away in the "learning experience" folder, section "how not to do it".

Seems we learned nothing form the first time we played them.

53 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m struggling to see what the point of using our last foreign spot on Mutch was, we are barely using him, and he plays a position in which we already have multiple options. Why we didn’t go for a wing back / full back  that could cross

Basically we need Jerome Polenz

I also can’t work out the 3 at the back obsession when we have two bug centre forwards who can head the ball

need to get decent crosses in, but hard to do with without wingers

Add to that the 6 month contract he was given of which its taken half of it just to get to a point where he’s available for selection...

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

I imagine that even if Wilmering one day ends up lifting the the world cup some commentator will mention he used to be a ball boy.  Could be worse I guess - he could have f***ed a chicken!

Don’t ever let it distract you from the fact that MacArthur tried to sign Ninkovic though

3 hours ago, FCB said:

One of the key moments for me was in the 24th minute. Troisi on the counter had the time to make a run into the box, and get Duke and Russell in position. Instead he hastily whacks the ball into the box from no mans land, straight into the arms of City's goal keeper. Very poorly done by such an experienced player. Execute that one properly and it can be 0:2. Instead...

Add to that players napping and the refs not giving us an inch, and the score gets away from you, and you end up comprehensively beaten. I am left wondering what might have happened with Mutch and Mueller being on the pitch, maybe demonstrating more ball control.

Troisi had one of the worst games any player has had for us. His pass accuracy was only 53% which is abysmal, even for an attacking player expected to try creative passes it shouldn't drop to below 75% Whenever he picked the ball up there was a 50/50 chance he'd cough it up. Their worst player for ball control was Nabbout and he still managed 75%.

Russell and Aquilina were terrible as well. Russell only managed 63% pass accuracy, Aquilina was 62%. Wilmering was better at 77% but still bad for a defensive player (who should be closer to 85%). Perhaps the worst part of our defensive play was letting Craig Noone run riot. In addition to two goals and an assist, he made 16 crosses with 44% accuracy, which was as many crosses as the rest of the City team had and their accuracy was like 5% His passing accuracy was 82%. We never pressured their defence with any effect apart from the goal, Jamieson had a 85% pass accuracy rating and their central defenders Griffiths and Good were at 96%

With 5 subs and our bench firepower my tactics would have been 4231 and have the forwards hard press them for as much as possible in the first half. You could replace two wingers, the striker and an attacking midfielder and still have a spare sub left.

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

We all missed the equaliser 'live' due to Fox Sports incompetence !!

Did anyone else also get a black screen just as Muller was taking a shot in the second half? They switched to the pitch side camera for a few seconds until they changed the film and put new D batteries in the main camera.

26 minutes ago, Davo said:

Did anyone else also get a black screen just as Muller was taking a shot in the second half? They switched to the pitch side camera for a few seconds until they changed the film and put new D batteries in the main camera.

Yep. Folks at home thought it was an issue with Foxtel Go app. But looks like more incompetence from Foxsports

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I still think Mutch was brought in mostly for experience, competition but also to be used as a squaddie it is only end of season contract. But since Mutch has come in its first time Baccus has had his position challenged in a long time. Baccus is better than Mutch but we have seen when he does have an off day there is a player that can take over.

We also need to look ahead to June the Olympics and Socceroos qualifiers. We have potentially 8 players to lose:

-Duke

-Ibini (according to Arnold)

-Russel

-Wilmering

-Baccus

-Margush

-Natta

-Tass

Not knowing what could happen you need players to back up because A-league doesn't do international breaks. But I guess that is another story.

From memory didn't the Smurfs at one time get games postponed due to international player commitments..?