Margush Keeps Wanderers Level

The Western Sydney Wanderers travelled to Brisbane with the chance to get back in the A-League top 4 with a win against the Brisbane Roar. After a promising first 20 minutes that saw Kwame Yeboah score the opener, the Wanderers were off the pace for the remainder of the game and ended up sharing the points with the Roar scoring the equaliser through Riku Danazki.

With both sides making changes due to the Easter fixture pile up, the Carl Robinson elected to push James Troisi to the bench and the forced exclusion of Mark Natta saw the return of Tass Mourdoukoutas to the starting 11, with Bruce Kamau and Aquilina also coming in. Daniel Georgievski made his long awaited return to the team on the bench.

The Wanderers dominiated the early stages of the game and took the lead in the 11th minute. Bruce Kamau and Keanu Baccus's neat interplay took the ball inside the Roar penalty area, sucking in multiple Brisbane defenders and leaving Kwame Yeboah unmarked just inside the box. Baccus found the outlet ball to the striker and Yeboah's first time, sweeping left footed strike skimmed along the turf and found the net with Jamie Young having no chance.

While the Roar had a few chances they couldn't find much power or placement and the Wanderers solid defence kept them at bay. Yeboah was unlucky not to get his second in the 37th minute. After Bruce Kamau tangled with a pair of Brisbane defenders 35 yards from goal the ball fell to the advantage of Yeboah. The striker was a mile offside but as is the style at this time, the game continued through with Yeboah slamming his 1 v 1 chance into the back of the net. A short video review determined that the ball was last touched by Kamau, despite a foul by the Roar players and it was called back for a Wanderers free kick.

The second half was all Brisbane. Inside the first 5 minutes they should have scored 3 goals but had the settle for one. Joey Champness took advantage of poor defending to make a 60 yard run to the top of the penalty arc, a last ditch tackle from Tass Mourdoukoutas failed to stop the ball squeezing through for Danzaki who cut back inside Margush before finishing into an open net.

Not even a quadruple substitution shook the Wanderers out of their indolence, the Roar remained on top for the entire second half with precious little to show from the Wanderers. Their best chance in the second half fell to Mourdoukoutas who attacked an in-swinging corner but sliced the header wide. Brisbane blazed away, Margush keeping the draw with a wonderful diving save from a quick shot from Dylan Wenzel-Halls. Ultimately the match petered out with the Wanderers grateful for the final whistle, securing a point that does little to improve their finals chances with 11 games left to play.

The Wanderers face the resurgent Central Coast Mariners on Tuesday April 6 at Parramatta with kick-off at 7:05PM.

View full article

@mintoff have to respond to you here re English football.

thank **** someone else is seeing this. Duke is the only reason this is having any effect. And Bernie profited against the Perth high line.

You post is almost word for word what the white caps fan said on here 4 months ago. This went on in Vancouver for 5 years. Go and check out his results from 13-18

If we are expecting improvement on the basis of CR current coaching style and ability, we will all be sorely disappointed

Stupid phone timed out trying to edit that @mintoff- I lose count every week of the amount of times a promising attack gets killed due to predictable verticle movement. Every time we get the ball in space, every run is dead at goal, no variation whatsoever. And watch when we try to play the ball through the middle - it gets returned to the CB or CDM every single time because there is little to no lateral movement, no one trying to get into space. They run for the last man then hope to **** Dorrans can land it on their chest. You have to wonder if they understand what a triangle (god forbid a progressing triangle) is. 

Just now, redpanther61 said:

After 20 mins we were the 2nd best team on the park. Bachus and Kamau were ineffective after this time. Ibini, Muller and Troisi were useless as subs, they showed no heart or commitment. The only players making any really effort were the young uns’!!

For the most part, pretty accurate. 

I thought Kamau was putting in some effort. He chased a fair bit. Its also an unrealistic ask for any 10 to put someone into space when the 2/3/4 players in front are either dead still or making runs directly next to defenders. It's actually one facet of Coxy's game that I like. He makes angled runs, comes to support with one touch then tries to move into another pocket, albeit quite slowly. Making movements like that will freeze a defence and then allows you to attack a back line. Attempting to bang balls through the line and hoping Dukey is faster doesn't work more than once or twice (unless its against perth)

1 minute ago, HillsPanther said:

Passing practice required. Always better to pass to your own players. Maybe they forgot they were playing in white. Way too many easy turnovers killing promising attacks.

Baccus was worst one.

For me this game tonight is who we are, we have trouble scoring and cannot play for 90 minutes. It's been the same for the whole season even with the personnel changes that have been brought in. Apart from the Perth game was the only time we looked like we had something, though this was manly to Perth's tactics and making as look better than we are. The part I question the most is if we have all these attacking players that we can't fit into the team then why do we play a defensive back five? We may fall into the top six and make to finals but I very much doubt it. We've had 6 wins from 15 games played, only one of those wins was from a team in the top 6. Every team we play is a struggle. Once we start playing more teams in the top 6,  I think we will loose more games. If we continue with this back 3/5 for mine nothing is going to change. Robbo may talk the talk but for me he doesn't  walk the walk.

7 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

For me this game tonight is who we are, we have trouble scoring and cannot play for 90 minutes. It's been the same for the whole season even with the personnel changes that have been brought in. Apart from the Perth game was the only time we looked like we had something, though this was manly to Perth's tactics and making as look better than we are. The part I question the most is if we have all these attacking players that we can't fit into the team then why do we play a defensive back five? We may fall into the top six and make to finals but I very much doubt it. We've had 6 wins from 15 games played, only one of those wins was from a team in the top 6. Every team we play is a struggle. Once we start playing more teams in the top 6,  I think we will loose more games. If we continue with this back 3/5 for mine nothing is going to change. Robbo may talk the talk but for me he doesn't  walk the walk.

Too much **** talk, not like Australian coaches they let their coaching system play with success.

Insipid display yet again. Started with a bang then petered out to the usual ambling, directionless attack with hopeful long balls and cheap turnovers. Either most of the senior players are being coached to play this way or they don’t care. Troisi and Ibini would have to be up there with the worst signings in recent times and again we seem to have stuffed up our imports. I mean Why sign Mutch??? When the keeper is the best player on the park we should acknowledge that the rest of the team is a shambles. Mediocrity forever seems to be the Wanderers way. Feel sorry for Duke and the young guys.....

I am still with Robbo until I see him with no baggage

Mcgowan gotta go seasons end bring in a big strong centre back who can head a ball would do wonders for this team. 

Muller ,troisi , Baccus and Yeboah have to go , Ziegler will be gone.

Mitch Duke has been very ordinary the last 2 games , is he carrying an injury doubt it when you watch him in training , is there an issue with him and the coaching staff,

we had to many players again tonight watching ball and losing 50 50 balls to easily it is amazing what can happen to a team in a couple of weeks

When I was 19 (Nearly 30 years ago) I went out with this girl. She was devastatingly beautiful and full of energy (aka. stamina), courage and hope, but all these desirable qualities were only matched by her ability to be unwittingly unpredictable, cruel and kind in equal measures.

We'd go out and she'd flirt with guys to make me jealous knowing it would upset me, yet if another girl gave me a casual glance she'd fly into rage with accusations. Sometimes she'd be 2 hours early to an event and grill me for leaving her abandoned, and sometimes she'd show up 2 hours late to a wedding or funeral without a mention. She crashed my car, "accidentally" poisoned my cat, and even got me (not us) evicted from my apartment by punching my neighbour (also my landlord) in the face because he interrupted her meditation by ringing the doorbell. I could go on, but I know many would think this was a terrible relationship. But for all of the drama and madness many joys we're experienced and many lessons where learn't. (I know some of you can relate)

So here's how I see it when we don't get the result we expect from a team running hot and cold. Unpredictability creates positive and negative emotions. Our brains produce the same chemicals whether we're excited or stressed, and it all comes down to how we interpret the situation. Would we actually be happy as supporters and members if we didn't have that little bit of unpredictability? Knowing in advance what team was going to show up to either elate us or disappoint us. I don't think so.

One of the wonderful things about this club is the unpredictability that took us from being bogans to ACL champions because it doesn't disappoint or bore us, and it makes us both revered and a threat by many. Yes we make bad decisions but we also make good ones, we win and draw matches but also loose them also. We're doing our best with what we've chosen, and we'll be ok.

On to the next match. 

9 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

So here's how I see it when we don't get the result we expect from a team running hot and cold. Unpredictability creates positive and negative emotions. Our brains produce the same chemicals whether we're excited or stressed, and it all comes down to how we interpret the situation. Would we actually be happy as supporters and members if we didn't have that little bit of unpredictability? Knowing in advance what team was going to show up to either elate us or disappoint us. I don't think so.

One of the wonderful things about this club is the unpredictability that took us from being bogans to ACL champions because it doesn't disappoint or bore us, and it makes us both revered and a threat by many. Yes we make bad decisions but we also make good ones, we win and draw matches but also loose them also. We're doing our best with what we've chosen, and we'll be ok.

On to the next match. 

Yep......pretty much this.

Although I do wish the really good play we have shown at times and are capable of would surface more often. 

WOW Zach , amazing stories do you write drama novels ?

I would give quid's to find out why out team cam turn from fighting hard to beat Western United, beating Wollongong Wolves fair and square in a real scrap , giving Perth Glory a real spanking to 2 weeks of utter absolute crap , Zach obviously your old girl friend did not produce any of our players because non of them have got any of her attributes in them in the last 2 weeks.

why the change ?     

Going against the grain here, but I thought Troisi as an #8 was good. We held the ball better than having baccus there. Troisi had great stats last year with Adelaide, but didn’t play as a #10. He had a deeper role like he did tonight. 

Overall though, with the depth we have we should be top 2. It’s not good enough. We play a system that relies on wingbacks getting up and down and being a threat (eg. Popa had 2 Socceroos, Franjic and Davidson when he won the premiers plate). We’ve got two young kids doing their best, but they’re not top 2 team material (yet?). Baccus gives the ball away to often. We reset well and Dorrans is the orchestrator, but minimal movement from our attacking players into space. Very stagnate. 

Im losing faith in Robinson. With the cattle he has they should be better than this. 

25 minutes ago, Frankos187 said:

Overall though, with the depth we have we should be top 2. It’s not good enough. We play a system that relies on wingbacks getting up and down and being a threat (eg. Popa had 2 Socceroos, Franjic and Davidson when he won the premiers plate). 

He also had an unreal back 3 of Grant, Spira and Mrcela. 

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

WOW Zach , amazing stories do you write drama novels ?

I would give quid's to find out why out team cam turn from fighting hard to beat Western United, beating Wollongong Wolves fair and square in a real scrap , giving Perth Glory a real spanking to 2 weeks of utter absolute crap , Zach obviously your old girl friend did not produce any of our players because non of them have got any of her attributes in them in the last 2 weeks.

why the change ?     

In my opinion the club is struggling with humility on and off the pitch. All too often we reek of ego in our choices - a hangover from early success. Humility in sport breeds trust, commitment and loyalty between players because there's a desire to represent something bigger and do better on every appearence. 

I've noticed that over the last few years we've attracted a lot of ego. Ego players are hard to get consistent performances from. They need to be managed from game to game rather than commit to a plan. 

The 4 at the back made little difference over 90 Mins of football. 
But at least it was tried and for all those who were calling for it, another reminder formations are but another piece of overall game play and tactics. 

Wilmering for example was less effective as he just couldn’t get forward enough and his crossing and forward play was no one what it has been, Ziggy on the other side offered little. 

Margush had a great game and It was great to see Tass back. 

Mariners game can’t come soon enough, players should be up for it. Just seemed yday we didn’t have a will to win.