Impotent Wanderers On Brink Of Top 6 Exit

6 hours ago, FCB said:

That was terrible, Muriel. I am working on my second bourbon now, and one could argue that I am under the influence, but still:

Natta’s absence was noticeable, and it is quite a statement to make that we were missing an 18 yo in the starting line up; Tass is no match

Tonight was the end of the myth that Cox is a starting player; he has the physique, pace and fitness of a pub footballer

How often have we said this season “how did we not score?”. Answer: we don’t have a proper consistent goal scorer. Never have had. 

We are unable to string 70 minutes of football together, let alone 90

In the period after the equaliser we were shambolic, memories of the S5 Valentine’s Day massacre came back; we could (or should!) have been 4:1 down

The youth and inexperience of our fullbacks showed this evening

Troisi gives control, Ibini has physical presence, we looked different once they came on

Overall, I am feeling myself transported back to S3, minus the buzz of winning the ACL title. And on that not I am going to pour me another drink. Cheers!

Mostly Agree FCB, but I thought Cox was key in the first half. He might not be a super athlete but he's got a football brain and can recieve the ball, control it, and find the right pass. Unlike Giant Bambi (Ibini) fumbling around, and that fraud Troisi.

No more excuses Robinson !!!!. We seem to be regressing . A few glimpses of something good each game but then periods of absolute rubbish where we seem to forget how to defend, keep possession, and score.  Looks like another season slipping away from us . Opposing teams well and truly seem to have worked us out..

So another cleanout / reset at seasons end.. we really are a joke of a club

One player who doesn't appear to come in for much criticism is Dorrans. I was a big fan of his when he played for WBA and was excited by his signing. However he has failed to live up to expectations as he's not providing a lot of forward movement, has been easily dispossessed and last night there were numerous examples of poor passing.

8 hours ago, FCB said:

That was terrible, Muriel. I am working on my second bourbon now, and one could argue that I am under the influence, but still:

Natta’s absence was noticeable, and it is quite a statement to make that we were missing an 18 yo in the starting line up; Tass is no match

Tonight was the end of the myth that Cox is a starting player; he has the physique, pace and fitness of a pub footballer

How often have we said this season “how did we not score?”. Answer: we don’t have a proper consistent goal scorer. Never have had. 

We are unable to string 70 minutes of football together, let alone 90

In the period after the equaliser we were shambolic, memories of the S5 Valentine’s Day massacre came back; we could (or should!) have been 4:1 down

The youth and inexperience of our fullbacks showed this evening

Troisi gives control, Ibini has physical presence, we looked different once they came on

Overall, I am feeling myself transported back to S3, minus the buzz of winning the ACL title. And on that not I am going to pour me another drink. Cheers!

I think that is a bit harsh on Cox like, he was a bright light first half in an otherwise dour display. In the match thread I said before the game it was the right thing to start with him, and it proved to be. I also said he would be knackered at half time. Unfortunately that is the stage of the career he is at, he is no longer a 90min player and never will be. You have to look to Duke who seems out of touch and form before pointing the finger at Cox. Or Ibini ffs, what a donkey.

There are much younger players than Cox that should be standing up and making a mark but are really poor.

As for the Gaffer, I kept quiet when others were raving about his appointment based on a string of decent results at the Jets. I know it was a dodgy Jets side he turned around, but it was a short spell within a season rather than a full major season impact. Anyone, even if you are shyte, can fluke a good run....apart from us lol

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, EmMac said:

Mostly Agree FCB, but I thought Cox was key in the first half. He might not be a super athlete but he's got a football brain and can recieve the ball, control it, and find the right pass. Unlike Giant Bambi (Ibini) fumbling around, and that fraud Troisi.

I agree Em, also I find it a challenge to give Troisi any credit these days...

Ever since Heart humbled us a few weeks ago, they exposed our weaknesses and now every team we have played since then have been taking advantage of our weaknesses because Carl has done nothing to rectify it.

The high pressing, putting balls behind our defence and stretching our backline we are badly exposed at the back and that will not get fixed until we go back to a back 4 and having a proper DM to anchor that midfield.

Edited by SBW
3 minutes ago, SBW said:

Ever since Heart humbled us a few weeks ago, they exposed our weaknesses and now every team we have played since then have been taking advantage of our weaknesses because Carl has done nothing to rectify it.

The high pressing, putting balls behind our defence and stretching our backline we are badly exposed at the back and that will not get fixed until we go back to a back 4 and having a proper DM to anchor that midfield.

Yep. Agree.

3 minutes ago, SBW said:

Ever since Heart humbled us a few weeks ago, they exposed our weaknesses and now every team we have played since then have been taking advantage of our weaknesses because has done nothing to rectify it.

The high pressing, putting balls behind our defence and stretching our backline we are badly exposed at the back and that will not get fixed until we g go back to a back 4 and having a proper DM to anchor that midfield.

Agree .if every team we play can see it and we the fans can see it. Surely Robinson and CO can see it..are they so stubborn to keep persevering with something that is so obviously not working or just dont have the coaching nounce to change it.  ?

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Mostly Agree FCB, but I thought Cox was key in the first half. He might not be a super athlete but he's got a football brain and can recieve the ball, control it, and find the right pass.

And I think that’s where is stops. I watched him after he lost the ball, he chased a roar player, sprinted for a few meters - and then he stopped, because he was stuffed. That was in the first half, in cool evening temperatures. Irish international my shiny bottom. Pub football material.

Then I am looking at the Roar, who were at us the whole game, standing on our toes, applying pressure, their Japanese AM seemingly omnipresent. What a difference.

I recall Mitch Nichols saying, back in S4, how the attacking players were running their socks off. Yesterday Roar collectively did just that, us not so much. We also lacked physical presence which has been my main complaint ever since Popa left. And that was enough for them to win the game.

Maybe the biggest worry is how stupid we played after the equaliser. We’d lose the ball up front, Roar played a long ball, and they had us under the pump, each and every time. Their second goal was so simple it’s not even funny. CR was out coached in the first half. 

8 minutes ago, FCB said:

And I think that’s where is stops. I watched him after he lost the ball, he chased a roar player, sprinted for a few meters - and then he stopped, because he was stuffed. That was in the first half, in cool evening temperatures. Irish international my shiny bottom. Pub football material.

Then I am looking at the Roar, who were at us the whole game, standing on our toes, applying pressure, their Japanese AM seemingly omnipresent. What a difference.

I recall Mitch Nichols saying, back in S4, how the attacking players were running their socks off. Yesterday Roar collectively did just that, us not so much. We also lacked physical presence which has been my main complaint ever since Popa left. And that was enough for them to win the game.

Maybe the biggest worry is how stupid we played after the equaliser. We’d lose the ball up front, Roar played a long ball, and they had us under the pump, each and every time. Their second goal was so simple it’s not even funny. CR was out coached in the first half. 

If looking at last 2 or 3 games Cox has prob been our best player. The fact he has limited endurance at this stage of his career speaks volumes for the shyte the other younger or players supposedly at the peak of career are dishing up.

I mentioned in the match thread Brisbane chased everything, wanted it more and showed more desire. That comes back to our old friend mentality lol And the coaching.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, SBW said:

Yes Yes Yes and Yes

We were not as poor last night as we have been in the past.  Our first 20mins was probably the best football we have played all season and then right on cue we conceded through poor pressure on the ball carrier just outside the 18yd box (again).  We have 8 players in the box and not one wants to be dominant, all hang off him and then the rebound goes to their 1 player while our 5 watch.  Our equaliser we probably deserved to get earlier but we did get it and then we concede another dumb goal before the break with some of the least urgent defending you will ever see, 4 in the box on one attacker and all ball watching like 10yo's.

Second half we were ordinary and Brisbane showed us what wanting to win looks like, just like City did a few weeks earlier, they bullied us off the ball, they hassled, ran, closed down and we had no answers, was men against boys.  Young had a good game against us as usual but we made it easy for him as well.  you should be able to get easy headers from set pieces at least on target and you should be able to put away goals from 6yds out and not hit them straight at the keeper, but as usual we cant.

Broken record time - Troisi and Ibini are absolutely useless, how a professional footballer cannot take a corner that beats the first man, not once not twice but three times when the game is on the line is a joke.  the fact that he cannot hit the target from 7yds out right at the end is also a joke.  Even with Victory going as bad as they are he wouldn't make their XI.  Ibini well he has nothing. Duke was probably as bad as I have seen him go but he is entitled to a poor game, doesnt happen too often. Mueller must be injured, came on did nothing, McGowan delivered his normal rubbish and we rely on the kids to go wide and cross hopefully where our 5ft attackers are competing with their 6ft defenders.  Nothing has changed.  

The Yeboah and Ibini substitutions initially made no impact. But when Tass was subbed and we changed to a back four,  we had a dominant period and it appeared inevitable that we'd get an equaliser. That was until Dorrans was subbed for Muller, at which point we totally lost the midfield battle and struggled to hold Brisbane to just the two goals.

Tass and McGowan were dire. Kamau played well and was prominent for the whole 90 minutes. Don't know what's wrong with Duke at the moment, his involvement seems way lower than normal. It could be because Kamau is pulling the strings now I guess.

I keep saying fix the defence and we will come good , McGowan is in the same class as Brendan Hamill both s*&^ defenders and both got the team Captaincy,

Margush is no good , he is in the same class as Redmayne when he played for us he gives the defence no confidence , what the hell was he doing on his haunches near the penalty box when the roar tried to lob him , I know what he was doing for the second week in row he dropped a simple high ball but luckily did not concede and was brooding about it. 

We need a Big Strong smart boss in that Centre Back position !!!!!

Tass was poor last night, Gordan was even caught high a couple of times this business of wingbacks is bull*&%^ we give opposing wings half the width of the field to work in. 

2 balls in from the left and 1 tap in and deflected ball to the far post ,very poor!!!

Sadly we just don't have the players in the squad to fix the defensive problems.

Season over :xmad:

I thought the 10-15 minute period between Ibini and Yeboah coming on and the switch to the back four was Baccus’s best part of the game. With fresh legs up front and Brisbane defending a lead they sat deeper, letting Baccus play as more of an attacking midfielder with less defensive responsibilities.

He was good at recycling possession and going forward again, letting us play through the middle rather than going backwards, killing momentum, forcing us to go wide and rely on crosses.

Once we went to the back four he had to defend more and was less effective in attack. That wasn’t much of a problem as we were still controlling possession but as soon as we took Dorrans off for Muller and pushed Troisi further back to support Baccus it all fell apart. Muller didn’t really do anything up front and Troisi is a serviceable defensive mid but nothing special, meaning we were worse in attack and Baccus couldn’t get forward at all.

3 hours ago, FCB said:

Cox was the least of our problems out there.

Ibini and Yeboah are both fast and can press teams.

I’d still prefer Cox.

Perfect example of the Cox hate, even though he is consistently one of our only players who can control and pass a ball correctly.

The players are putting in for the fans but the body language is clear they’re losing faith in the system. Our tails are up until we inevitably concede and then heads drop cause the players know they’re getting zero tactical assistance whatsoever.

I can’t sit here and criticise any player on the field when they’re sent out under a formation that puts them at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked.

Credit to Brisbane, that last goal they scored was absolutely beautiful. That’s one of the nicest pieces of one touch attacking football I’ve seen all season. 

20 minutes ago, Dugongs said:

Ibini and Yeboah are both fast and can press teams.

I’d still prefer Cox.

Perfect example of the Cox hate, even though he is consistently one of our only players who can control and pass a ball correctly.

Cox is what he is to anyone who has watched the English championship for any time. He was a decent second tier player who's body has seen better days but his touch and football brain remains. If you use him from the start or as a sub post 60mins is open for debate, he would be best fixed in to a settled role, I suspect second half impact sub. But the gaffers hand has been forced to **** things around due to the total imbalance of the side, a structure that isn't working and certain players not pulling their weight or out of form.

2 hours ago, scarcev said:

We were not as poor last night as we have been in the past.  Our first 20mins was probably the best football we have played all season and then right on cue we conceded through poor pressure on the ball carrier just outside the 18yd box (again).  We have 8 players in the box and not one wants to be dominant, all hang off him and then the rebound goes to their 1 player while our 5 watch.  Our equaliser we probably deserved to get earlier but we did get it and then we concede another dumb goal before the break with some of the least urgent defending you will ever see, 4 in the box on one attacker and all ball watching like 10yo's.

Second half we were ordinary and Brisbane showed us what wanting to win looks like, just like City did a few weeks earlier, they bullied us off the ball, they hassled, ran, closed down and we had no answers, was men against boys.  Young had a good game against us as usual but we made it easy for him as well.  you should be able to get easy headers from set pieces at least on target and you should be able to put away goals from 6yds out and not hit them straight at the keeper, but as usual we cant.

Broken record time - Troisi and Ibini are absolutely useless, how a professional footballer cannot take a corner that beats the first man, not once not twice but three times when the game is on the line is a joke.  the fact that he cannot hit the target from 7yds out right at the end is also a joke.  Even with Victory going as bad as they are he wouldn't make their XI.  Ibini well he has nothing. Duke was probably as bad as I have seen him go but he is entitled to a poor game, doesnt happen too often. Mueller must be injured, came on did nothing, McGowan delivered his normal rubbish and we rely on the kids to go wide and cross hopefully where our 5ft attackers are competing with their 6ft defenders.  Nothing has changed.  

All of this

23 minutes ago, Dugongs said:

I see it very differently. He was instrumental when we lost structure after the equaliser. He barely has the fitness as secondary striker, but not as 10, not at this stage in his career anyway. He can’t backtrack, and boy, did it show last night. 

16 minutes ago, FCB said:

I see it very differently. He was instrumental when we lost structure after the equaliser. He barely has the fitness as secondary striker, but not as 10, not at this stage in his career anyway. He can’t backtrack, and boy, did it show last night. 

Nahhh Bozza talks sense, most of the time, and he was full of praise for Cox in the first half, and tend to agree. But lets not get hung up on one player, it was an OK shift from him, but in my opinion he stood out because of the shyte around him.

There are others that deserve more attention for a poor performance than the flack you are directing to Cox.

Edited by Smoggy
8 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

One player who doesn't appear to come in for much criticism is Dorrans. I was a big fan of his when he played for WBA and was excited by his signing. However he has failed to live up to expectations as he's not providing a lot of forward movement, has been easily dispossessed and last night there were numerous examples of poor passing.

Last night Dorrans had better passing accuracy (84.5%) than everyone in the attacking unit but Kamau, and Dorrans also had the most chances created by far, with 6, everyone else had 0, 1 or 2. Baccus had more touches and lost the ball with his passing more. Duke had an abysmal game on the ball, 56% passing, two off target shots and missed his only cross. Russell was awful in defence, he didn't put in a single tackle, lost 9 out of the 10 duels in was in while also having a mediocre game especially with crossing, only hitting our players twice out of 6 attempts.

Against Adelaide Dorrans had the best accuracy (86.3) of all the non-central defenders (the subs did a lot better but they were playing against 10 men so understandable) from the most touches and was also good in the defensive stats.

I suspect he's being told to play a holder role and not roam, with Baccus told to play up and down the field, Dorrans stays mostly in the defensive & central midfield areas and isn't going forward as much because doing while on the ball so would expose the central defence by having a massive gap between the attacking line and the defensive one in a transition phase after losing possession.