Impotent Wanderers On Brink Of Top 6 Exit

28 minutes ago, mack said:

Last night Dorrans had better passing accuracy (84.5%) than everyone in the attacking unit but Kamau, and Dorrans also had the most chances created by far, with 6, everyone else had 0, 1 or 2. Baccus had more touches and lost the ball with his passing more. Duke had an abysmal game on the ball, 56% passing, two off target shots and missed his only cross. Russell was awful in defence, he didn't put in a single tackle, lost 9 out of the 10 duels in was in while also having a mediocre game especially with crossing, only hitting our players twice out of 6 attempts.

Against Adelaide Dorrans had the best accuracy (86.3) of all the non-central defenders (the subs did a lot better but they were playing against 10 men so understandable) from the most touches and was also good in the defensive stats.

I suspect he's being told to play a holder role and not roam, with Baccus told to play up and down the field, Dorrans stays mostly in the defensive & central midfield areas and isn't going forward as much because doing while on the ball so would expose the central defence by having a massive gap between the attacking line and the defensive one in a transition phase after losing possession.

Stats can be misleading; in the last couple of games Dorrans has played passes which have immediately put the recipient under pressure. Yeah it will get 100% pass rate but that's not the full story. For an overseas player I'd be expecting more of an influence on the game.

1 minute ago, sonar said:

Did Vedran do a body or brain swap with Margush last night...? 

The 1st half showed the confusion players have from the coaching staff. Margush must have had instructions to go out and have those suicide runs. For a keeper to keep going out even when there are defenders behind him is so wrong. 

Luckily someone must have said something at halftime to stop the madness.

29 minutes ago, tardotz said:

The 1st half showed the confusion players have from the coaching staff. Margush must have had instructions to go out and have those suicide runs. For a keeper to keep going out even when there are defenders behind him is so wrong. 

Luckily someone must have said something at halftime to stop the madness.

Seemed pretty clear that it was a tactic from the coaching staff. Ziggy would tightly man mark Champness no matter where he was, the rest of the defence was playing super high up the pitch and Margush got told to stay on the 18 yard box or even further up.

image.png.9f89c9929240a152f5a15eec32b3bee8.png

image.png.0f9bab1794643eaf0be94707ba0740fd.png

Ziggy Gordon who is meant to be a central defender was playing 10 yards inside the Roar half on the wing, as a man-marker on a player much faster than him because Russell was in an attacking wing position. 

Then we have three other defenders, McGowan didn't come to the ball or retreat to the near post he just kept his line and clearly wasn't sprinting. The less said about Tass the better, his inexplicable decision to stop running meant was the reason that ball got to Danzaki in the first place. The only thing I can think of was that he thought McGowan was coming inside to mark Danzaki and he stopped to try and defend against the other Roar player coming in late, then realised McGowan wasn't going to make it.

On 17/04/2021 at 8:37 AM, SBW said:

Ever since Heart humbled us a few weeks ago, they exposed our weaknesses and now every team we have played since then have been taking advantage of our weaknesses because Carl has done nothing to rectify it.

The high pressing, putting balls behind our defence and stretching our backline we are badly exposed at the back and that will not get fixed until we go back to a back 4 and having a proper DM to anchor that midfield.

We’ve had this problem since round 1, Heart opened us right up, but the problem was there earlier 

Press us and we will give you the ball on the edge of the box. 

Put balls in behind the wing backs if that doesn’t work, switch the ball quickly and our back three don’t adjust 

On 17/04/2021 at 1:07 PM, Smoggy said:

Cox is what he is to anyone who has watched the English championship for any time. He was a decent second tier player who's body has seen better days but his touch and football brain remains. If you use him from the start or as a sub post 60mins is open for debate, he would be best fixed in to a settled role, I suspect second half impact sub. But the gaffers hand has been forced to **** things around due to the total imbalance of the side, a structure that isn't working and certain players not pulling their weight or out of form.

The gaffer signed the unbalanced side and plays the stucture that doesn’t work 

for mine dorrans has been ok, but given he is our marquee should be doing more 

I thought the attack was decent, Cox football brain was at work there for the Kamau goal. HOWEVER I think Duke has been fading a bit not for lack of effort we really haven't gotten him the ball on the floor. The last I would say 3 games it been long ball to his head to knock it on instead of to his feet where he can hold it up and bring others into play.

The transition however is far too slow. I am sick of the back 3 passing the ball all to each other for 5 minutes straight before we get it forward. Much of the blame is on the setup of Dorrans and Baccus and the form they are both currently in. I mean Dorrans had another stinker and it forced us to go again one dimensional to the wingbacks. We don't create anything through the middle and I have been constantly criticizing the team for it. Probably half the reason we go long to Duke who has to constantly strain himself for headers on half way instead of the 18 yard box where I want him to win those headers is because we don't have another avenue and just try to win the second ball which I mean come on in this day and age that works once maybe twice if its all your doing.

Once we do get it forward Kamau, Duke and Cox looked ok I thought. It was lost in the 2nd half once Ibini and Yeboah were on. I am against having both of them on at the same time because they are essentially the same player except one scores (Yeboah so long as he is at the end of the move) and the other ...... well I actually still trying to figure out what Ibini brings to the team. They don't work well together. You need either Cox or Duke to partner one of those 2 if you are going to have them on.

Edited by Sithslayer1991
On 17/04/2021 at 4:26 PM, mack said:

Seemed pretty clear that it was a tactic from the coaching staff. Ziggy would tightly man mark Champness no matter where he was, the rest of the defence was playing super high up the pitch and Margush got told to stay on the 18 yard box or even further up.

image.png.9f89c9929240a152f5a15eec32b3bee8.png

image.png.0f9bab1794643eaf0be94707ba0740fd.png

Ziggy Gordon who is meant to be a central defender was playing 10 yards inside the Roar half on the wing, as a man-marker on a player much faster than him because Russell was in an attacking wing position. 

Then we have three other defenders, McGowan didn't come to the ball or retreat to the near post he just kept his line and clearly wasn't sprinting. The less said about Tass the better, his inexplicable decision to stop running meant was the reason that ball got to Danzaki in the first place. The only thing I can think of was that he thought McGowan was coming inside to mark Danzaki and he stopped to try and defend against the other Roar player coming in late, then realised McGowan wasn't going to make it.

It also appear the the two WSW players are attempting to play the offside, and McGowan is just hanging few meters back, screwing it all up.