Jump to content

European Super League


Recommended Posts

Seeing those "kids don't imagine winning the super league, the imagine winning the champions league" commnets - like from Ozil - well, of course not. It doesn't exist yet.

Kids also used to imagine winning the league for their local side. Now they imagine winning the CL with Barca. This will be no different.

Link to post

Don't worry everyone! Boris is on the case! :rolleyes:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-19/boris-johnson-says-he-will-try-to-stop-european-super-league/100080232

Quote

"We are going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn't go ahead in the way that it's currently being proposed," Mr Johnson said.

"I don't think that it's good news for fans, I don't think it's good news for football in this country." 

...

"Plans for a European Super League would be very damaging for football," he wrote. 

"They would strike at the heart of the domestic game and will concern fans across the country.

"The clubs involved must answer to their fans and the wider footballing community before taking any further steps."

 

Link to post
Just now, marron said:

Seeing those "kids don't imagine winning the super league, the imagine winning the champions league" commnets - like from Ozil - well, of course not. It doesn't exist yet.

Kids also used to imagine winning the league for their local side. Now they imagine winning the CL with Barca. This will be no different.

Also don't underestimate the impact of things like FIFA video games. Kids (generally) only support and follow the biggest and best clubs. They don't have any loyalty to the 'romance' of league football.

Link to post

He knows what side his bread is buttered.

 

I liked the suggestion that in many cases the local councils give permission for the clubs to use the name, which could be withdrawn. That would be awesome.

 

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Carns said:

Also don't underestimate the impact of things like FIFA video games. Kids (generally) only support and follow the biggest and best clubs. They don't have any loyalty to the 'romance' of league football.

Yeah. Copa90 did some research on all that. The people behind this know it too.

Link to post
1 minute ago, marron said:

I liked the suggestion that in many cases the local councils give permission for the clubs to use the name, which could be withdrawn. That would be awesome.

Speaking of FIFA games et al it'll just be like Pro Evolution Soccer not having the naming rights and calling the teams 'Manchester Red'

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Carns said:

Also don't underestimate the impact of things like FIFA video games. Kids (generally) only support and follow the biggest and best clubs. They don't have any loyalty to the 'romance' of league football.

If it goes ahead and they can keep their teams together it’ll be some of the best teams in the world (and Arsenal) playing some of the highest quality football. There are plenty of people who will watch it just because it’s the “best”.

Link to post
1 hour ago, marron said:

Yeah. Copa90 did some research on all that. The people behind this know it too.

Yep this whole thing isn't aimed at us. It's for the tellyclappers and asian market. 

All the fans won't stand for it nonsense on social media, these "brands" don't care

Link to post

Also it’ll be interesting to see what eventually happens with the German /French etc clubs. The 50+1 rules in Germany may be what stops them joining up. 

Link to post
11 hours ago, Carns said:

No doubt it will be a massive competition. It will most likely be the most watched football competition in the world. As you say, the money in Asia/Middle East etc. is enough of a carrot. And you just know they'll start shipping games all over the world to the highest bidder. Real Madrid vs. Manchester United played in China or Saudi in a 'genuine' competitive fixture? They could potentially throw billions at it.

The AFL: "Waaah, it was our idea first. Now nobody will come and watch Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast in Shanghai".

:P

Link to post
11 hours ago, Carns said:

Speaking of FIFA games et al it'll just be like Pro Evolution Soccer not having the naming rights and calling the teams 'Manchester Red'

Manchester Red Soxs.

Link to post
10 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

^^^^^

Correction to the above,  that should be Liverpool Red Sox.

vs Manchester City Yankees at Fenway Park

Link to post
1 hour ago, GD07 said:

Also it’ll be interesting to see what eventually happens with the German /French etc clubs. The 50+1 rules in Germany may be what stops them joining up. 

Im hoping that it’s actually morals that are keeping the German clubs out, but what would Bayern care they are pretty much guaranteed European football each year anyway

Link to post
1 hour ago, GD07 said:

Also it’ll be interesting to see what eventually happens with the German /French etc clubs. The 50+1 rules in Germany may be what stops them joining up. 

Yea to be honest I would be more afraid of it actually going ahead if it had backing of Bayern, Dortmund and PSG. Thankfully they are rejecting for now.

However also read Ajax and Porto were invited both said no. So how much support does it really have outside those 12 clubs?

Link to post
41 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

The AFL: "Waaah, it was our idea first. Now nobody will come and watch Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast in Shanghai".

:P

Yeah love that! Some bloke commented in the Herald "this is what the VFL/AFL did back in the 1890's"....and that's why it's such a dominant world sport..... 

Link to post
12 hours ago, Davo said:

If it goes ahead and they can keep their teams together it’ll be some of the best teams in the world (and Arsenal) playing some of the highest quality football. There are plenty of people who will watch it just because it’s the “best”.

Hahah....and Arsenal. Classic.

Link to post
41 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Cant believe the timing really, Covid pandemic and closed borders and all that, imagine home and away games in this environment.

a bit insensitive i would think.  

Home and away games? You're kidding....more like a travelling circus playing in various Asian cities much of the time

Link to post
1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Home and away games? You're kidding....more like a travelling circus playing in various Asian cities much of the time

Has to be home games surely MT, nice new shiny stadium at White Hart Lane, anyways Covid travel restrictions still relevant point.

Link to post
16 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Has to be home games surely MT, nice new shiny stadium at White Hart Lane, anyways Covid travel restrictions still relevant point.

Sure, but you can bet that each club will have to give away a couple of home games to take the circus around the globe. Of course the original intention is for this competition to be a midweek one with clubs still competing in their domestic leagues so WHL will still get used every other weekend to see a 2nd string Spurs outfit strut their stuff :xnod:

Link to post

In the meantime, it is worth noting why Europe’s biggest clubs have decided to go now. Barcelona are £1bn in debt and facing one of the biggest financial crises in their history. Real Madrid were unable to afford a single big signing last summer. Juventus have to find around £100m by the end of June. Internazionale’s owners sought emergency funding in February.

So instead of accepting how stupid they were with inflated player prices and paying ridiculous money and going the way of a Portsmouth, Leeds or Sunderland this their desperate attempt to stay at the top and increase profits.

Link to post

The clubs either have an oligarch (Chelsea), a government (Real Madrid), or a sovereign wealth fund (City) pumping money into them or protecting them, or they have a precarious amount of debt (the rest of them). Barcelona is apparently in a big hole financially, with a lot of debt coming due soon. Juventus have spent big on players like Ronaldo and haven't had the success they should be getting, which is going to make paying back their debts even harder. Arsenal are slowly sliding into irrelevance and are unlikely to be playing any sort of European football unless they can win the Europa League. Clubs like Spurs and Athletico Madrid have to pay off new stadiums. United have big debts but enough revenue to service them, although Old Trafford is falling apart and in need of an expensive update. Liverpool are a real chance of missing the Champions League and may find themselves overextended.

If they were happy with the current situation they wouldn't be trying to force such drastic changes. By failing to take the financial fair play rules seriously, by letting PSG flaunt the rules to buy Neymar, by admitting City broke the rules and actively tried to impede their investigation, yet punished them for spending too much money by giving them a fine, UEFA have forced everyone else to spend themselves into oblivion. It was inevitable that we'd end up here.

This can only really go one of two ways. Either FIFA and UEFA fold, give in to demands and the big clubs know they can make this threat again to get their way any time they like in the future, or they dig in and throw the twelve clubs out of everything.

If they fold, the big clubs will run football and set the rules to make sure they stay on top. I'd read that UEFA was working with UK investment fund Centricus to basically pay the breakaway clubs off with more cash than they'd get from JP Morgan for the super league. It'd work for now but everyone would know who is in charge.

If FIFA, UEFA and the national associations dig in things could get interesting. UEFA are meeting today and expect a motion to expel Chelsea, City and Real Madrid from the Champions League, and United and Arsenal from the Europa League. I'm sure the teams eliminated by those clubs in the quarter finals would be happy to jump back in if invited so the tournaments will go on. If they also declare the clubs ineligible for next years European competitions their only choices are to miss out entirely or go ahead with the super league. Contracts in place between the Premier League and the clubs say that the clubs need permission to compete in any tournament that isn't the Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup, or tournaments organised by the FA. I'm sure the other leagues would have similar clauses so that would allow the leagues to expel the breakaway clubs from domestic leagues. Once we're at that point they're going to ban the players from international matches, the UEFA president has already said they plan to.

Then what? You've got twelve clubs who can only play each other in this tournament and nothing else. None of their players can play in the Euros or a World Cup while at the clubs. I can see all that falling over pretty quickly, the players all moving on to other clubs and everything settling back down to normal. Might throw a few bucks on Leicester, Everton, etc. to win next years Premier League while they're still paying $50-$100.

Link to post

I wonder if how this will effect the integrity of the domestic competitions.  Right now all clubs need to maintain their level of performance to make sure they stay in the European spots. If they don’t have to worry about qualifying they’ll be sending out youth teams once they can’t win the title. They’re not going to play any of their top squad if they’ve got a game against Milan mid week. 

Link to post
10 minutes ago, GD07 said:

I wonder if how this will effect the integrity of the domestic competitions.  Right now all clubs need to maintain their level of performance to make sure they stay in the European spots. If they don’t have to worry about qualifying they’ll be sending out youth teams once they can’t win the title. They’re not going to play any of their top squad if they’ve got a game against Milan mid week. 

Well if the leagues have their way the 12 clubs won't be able to play in their respective Domestic leagues. One of the Premier league solutions is demote the clubs to non league football. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Davo said:

The clubs either have an oligarch (Chelsea), a government (Real Madrid), or a sovereign wealth fund (City) pumping money into them or protecting them, or they have a precarious amount of debt (the rest of them). Barcelona is apparently in a big hole financially, with a lot of debt coming due soon. Juventus have spent big on players like Ronaldo and haven't had the success they should be getting, which is going to make paying back their debts even harder. Arsenal are slowly sliding into irrelevance and are unlikely to be playing any sort of European football unless they can win the Europa League. Clubs like Spurs and Athletico Madrid have to pay off new stadiums. United have big debts but enough revenue to service them, although Old Trafford is falling apart and in need of an expensive update. Liverpool are a real chance of missing the Champions League and may find themselves overextended.

If they were happy with the current situation they wouldn't be trying to force such drastic changes. By failing to take the financial fair play rules seriously, by letting PSG flaunt the rules to buy Neymar, by admitting City broke the rules and actively tried to impede their investigation, yet punished them for spending too much money by giving them a fine, UEFA have forced everyone else to spend themselves into oblivion. It was inevitable that we'd end up here.

This can only really go one of two ways. Either FIFA and UEFA fold, give in to demands and the big clubs know they can make this threat again to get their way any time they like in the future, or they dig in and throw the twelve clubs out of everything.

If they fold, the big clubs will run football and set the rules to make sure they stay on top. I'd read that UEFA was working with UK investment fund Centricus to basically pay the breakaway clubs off with more cash than they'd get from JP Morgan for the super league. It'd work for now but everyone would know who is in charge.

If FIFA, UEFA and the national associations dig in things could get interesting. UEFA are meeting today and expect a motion to expel Chelsea, City and Real Madrid from the Champions League, and United and Arsenal from the Europa League. I'm sure the teams eliminated by those clubs in the quarter finals would be happy to jump back in if invited so the tournaments will go on. If they also declare the clubs ineligible for next years European competitions their only choices are to miss out entirely or go ahead with the super league. Contracts in place between the Premier League and the clubs say that the clubs need permission to compete in any tournament that isn't the Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup, or tournaments organised by the FA. I'm sure the other leagues would have similar clauses so that would allow the leagues to expel the breakaway clubs from domestic leagues. Once we're at that point they're going to ban the players from international matches, the UEFA president has already said they plan to.

Then what? You've got twelve clubs who can only play each other in this tournament and nothing else. None of their players can play in the Euros or a World Cup while at the clubs. I can see all that falling over pretty quickly, the players all moving on to other clubs ....

The world has become FARRRRR too complicated.

 

:( :(

Link to post
2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Well if the leagues have their way the 12 clubs won't be able to play in their respective Domestic leagues. One of the Premier league solutions is demote the clubs to non league football. 

Please please please....

 

It really just depends on UEFA and FIFA having some integrity clinging onto power as desperately as they can.

Edited by marron
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...