Dismal Melbourne Loss Puts Robinson At Risk

10 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

You can download the My Football app and watch it for free. 

I have a My Football account so yeah thanks.

Watched it but he didn't say anything he hasn't said before. Not impressed at all tbh. Rhetoric is fine but it's on field that matters and it's on field where we are crap. I don't personally hate the guy but tactically he seems lost or stubborn.

7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

It was over 2 weeks ago.. what a cluster **** the problem is deeper then CR. We are now on manager 4.

The common denominators are JT and Lederer

The fish head is rotten

At the least get a director of football in there who can assess stuff with a football brain (as has been suggested on this forum by better minds than mine). Because clearly they can't differentiate between quality and substance, and someone with the gift of the gab pulling the wool over their eyes. 

12 minutes ago, GD07 said:

Omnishambles. We need more than a manager change this time, root and branch clear out needed. 

You reckon? Feels to me like a bud is very much Robbo the clowns issue. Along side that is a hilariously **** defence. I’d be happy moving forward with 90% of this squad. But McGowan can go swim in a rip at bondi 

Edited by Upthehill

Agree with the squad thing mostly but thing is JT and PL will pull the trigger, again,  meaning we get another untried coach who will want to change the personnel, again, meaning next season will be no different to this, again. CR is out of his depth clearly but you have to start asking how thet keep getting this crucial appointment so wrong- and ******* it up when it's right. 

Hi everyone, I am in Melbourne so can report on the game:

Worked remotely from the Melbourne office yesterday. At 5.30 I got told that there were drinks and I got invited as a guest of the Melbourne office, so I thought I’d make an appearance.

Lost track of time, had about 10 drinks, ended up at a dumpling restaurant, taxi ride back to hotel around midnight...

Eventful night

Passed out on the bed and watched the highlights this morning 

On the one hand, great game for the neutral. On the other hand, 5-1 down is embarrassing and if I had been in the stadium, I would have been thinking “Wow, I skipped fun drinks and then paid money to watch this crap”.

5-4 papers over it, but it’s clear Victory took their foot off the pedal after their fifth

52 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

You reckon? Feels to me like a bud is very much Robbo the clowns issue. Along side that is a hilariously **** defence. I’d be happy moving forward with 90% of this squad. But McGowan can go swim in a rip at bondi 

Yep. New manager, new captain, JT gone. Bring in someone to look after the football side of things, the people in charge now haven’t shown any signs that they can cover that area. 

has anyone got the stats on how many goals we’ve conceded with McGowan in/out of the side?

One of the many, many things Wendy bangs on about is that we should suck it up as we have not suffered as long or as hard as others, mainly ESFC.

If we miss out on finals football this season, as looks increasingly likely, this would be 5 continuous seasons without, is that right?

How does this shape up to other clubs? 

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

One of the many, many things Wendy bangs on about is that we should suck it up as we have not suffered as long or as hard as others, mainly ESFC.

If we miss out on finals football this season, as looks increasingly likely, this would be 5 continuous seasons without, is that right?

Last season of Popa was the last time for finals.....2016/17 6th with the Jumpei choke in the pen shootout.

2017/2018 Foxe/Gumby 7th

2018/2019 Babbel 8th 

2019/2020 Babbel 9th

2020/2021 Robinson Who the **** knows.

1 minute ago, sonar said:

Last season of Popa was the last time for finals.....2016/17 6th with the Jumpei choke in the pen shootout.

2017/2018 Foxe/Gumby 7th

2018/2019 Babbel 8th 

2019/2020 Babbel 9th

Thanks, the poor seasons blur into one another, plus I was too lazy to work it out myself.

I was definitely in the "CR in" camp not wanting to continue with the manager/squad revolving doors shambles we have suffered for so man seasons now ,and  on paper we have a squad that should at least be able to finish top 6. But honestly IMO recent performances where we seem  to be regressing have convinced me he is out of his depth and does not have what it takes to bring success to WSW  . Letting him stay for the remainder of the season while we sink lower and lower down the table as he clearly does not have what it takes to turn it around . Then give him another season next year for more of the same.    NO I am definitely in the "CR Out" camp now.

As highlighted by many other forumites there is something fundamentally wrong with the club starting at the top...its all well and good having state of the art training facilities, great youth development system, excellent stadium etc etc etc. But surely in the end the measure of success is winning the league/finishing top 6/competing in finals. We consistently season after season do none of that !!! .  These are the measures of a "big" club which we constantly are told we are. Delusional, arrogant, incompetent, don't care just keep taking our money. I don't know what best describes the people running the club.  

Another season looks like its over already, even having the pleasure of not losing to the SMURFS seems highly unlikely .

Follow your team through good and bad times is all well and good, but we deserve better than this surely ?

10 hours ago, hughsey said:

I was impressed by the way he spoke when he first joined Newcastle and was keen for him to come to WSW. Fox stuck a mic on him during a jets game and everyone thought he was amazing cause he acted to professionally. Looking back and at the situation unfolding now at WSW plus hearing from that White Caps fan, he’s all smoke and no fire. Seems he’s gotten by in his management career by simply crafting intelligent sentences and saying what people want to hear. When it comes to actually putting words into action, it all comes unstuck.

In hindsight, it looks like he inherited a solid foundation from Merrick, and all he had to do was tinker. He said as much in an interview at some stage. Which would mean that Merrick is underrated, and CR is overrated. That’s what it looks like right now. 

Something has to change but you cant keep changing managers when things turn to ****, me I don't care if he goes or stays, probably doesn't deserve to stay but not assed to face another rebuild.  The players he has should be performing better and at some stage we need to bite the bullet with players instead of managers.  McGowan and Ziegler give us nothing.  When you have kids playing in the other defensive positions you rely on those tough, hardnosed defenders to pull them into line, Zielger and McGowan couldnt organise a f in a b with a fistful.  Look at the defending from corners and set pieces, FMD Storm Roux is what 5/7 and he gets an unchallenged header 6 yards out.  While other Clubs are stacking their midfield with Ninkovic, Diamanti, Luna, Noone, Goodwin we have Troisi who simply has nothing and gives us nothing.  Up front Ibini, well if he is depressed, he knows how I feel watching him play.  Lazy, cumbersome seems he has an on/off switch and plays mainly on dead batteries.  Duke well his last few have been ordinary, same as Mueller.  Not excluding the kids, Aquilina, Russell, Wilmering even Bacchus they have off days but you sort of expect that, it is our supposed big guns that give us nothing.

We can blame the players and some deserve it. Troisi still thinks he is playing 10 years ago but in reality he cannot even get a corner past the first defender. Ziegler has never recovered from his injury, McGowan no excuse he should not be playing in the A league. Duke in the last few games he went off the boil but that happens and in other teams they would not select him until he recovers.

The issue is CR is the one that selects the squad, he is the one that selects the formation and the one that sets the plan and he is the one that puts the subs in action........he has failed in all counts

3 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

The constant tinkering with the line up does my head in. Maybe CR has too much choice?

Oh and four at the back worked well. Just sayin....

Having McGowan and Ziegler as 2 of a back 4 was never going to work, or was that Robbo's plan . To try it and say I tried it and it didn't work.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

In hindsight, it looks like he inherited a solid foundation from Merrick, and all he had to do was tinker. He said as much in an interview at some stage. Which would mean that Merrick is underrated, and CR is overrated. That’s what it looks like right now. 

Soooooo #ErnieMerrickIn?

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

This is our ninth season as a club. From the 8 seasons we’ve finished this is how many times clubs have missed the finals (excluding WU):

Brisbane & Victory - 1

Adelaide, ESFC and City (both times as Heart) - 2

Perth - 3

WSW - 4

Nix - 5

CCM - 6

Jets - 7

If we miss the finals this year it’ll be the first time that we’ve fallen below 50% finals appearances with 4/9. It’d also be 2/7 for the current owners.

Edited by Davo

Tbh the senior players have to take the blame as well as the coach.  They know they can get a gig elsewhere if their performances go tits up.

I'm not going to burn Natta,Willmering,Aqualina and Tate etc as even though they have made mistakes they themselves are not the reason for defeats. Tactics ( Robinson ) and defensive errors and laziness of senior players is the reason. I can see nothing but another wholesale cleanout coming.

40 minutes ago, Carns said:

You'd also argue those 2 years were purely down to Popa. They inherited a good manager and basically just had to let him do his thing.

The current owners first three seasons were ACL win/Club World Cup, 2nd and Grand Finalists, 6th and out in first final. For me that’s down to Popa and the players/systems that were already in place when they took over, showing a slow decline as the new owners had an influence. Since then it’s been 7th, 8th, 9th and whatever the hell this season ends up being.

12 minutes ago, mack said:

Lederer had zero influence on the success at the start. He'd only taken over 3 months before the ACL first leg. Our early success was done to Popa & the coaching staff, Adam Waterson the fitness coach who during that early success was the best strength & conditioning coach any professional sports team in Australia has ever seen and the players.

I'd rate the supporters and the atmosphere they provided as being more useful to the club than anything Lederer has ever done.

So...the fans need to buy out the club then eh lol

5 hours ago, VedranRozic said:

The constant tinkering with the line up does my head in. Maybe CR has too much choice?

Oh and four at the back worked well. Just sayin....

This explains CR’s success at Newcastle and difficulties with us i reckon. At Newcastle he had a limited squad with little or no depth. His job was essentially to galvanise a bunch of guys as the underdogs and the rest took care of itself. No formation shuffles or positional issues coz the run on 11 chose itself each week and only decisions prob related to injuries/suspensions. OTOH we have almost an embarrassment of riches, on paper at least and he just hasn’t got it right/hasn’t got the ability.

6 hours ago, sonar said:

2017/2018 Foxe/Gumby 7th

2018/2019 Babbel 8th 

2019/2020 Babbel 9th

And for a club owned by several businessmen this isn’t good enough. Translate lack of finals appearances into losses or a tanking share price and any CEO overseeing this club would have been removed by now. Along with his or her inner circle. JT cannot stay if we don’t make the finals this year. I’d certainly argue he should have gone two seasons ago. Add to that CR and possibly some of his assistants, Troisi, Ibini, McGowan, Mutch and Muller. Then sign a big centre back, a proven finisher and get Muscat in as coach. Oh and finally employ a director of football FFS! Anyway my two cents.....