A-League 2020/21 Match Week 19

On 30/04/2021 at 10:58 PM, marron said:

dont try tell me this **** is accurate and therefore correct. ffs.

What do you do now though? They’ve made their bed so to speak.

If you start allowing goals because the gap isn’t big enough what gap is big enough?? 

The idea of a thicker line that builds in error isn’t a bad one, if they are going to have var for offsite they have to have a hard rule as otherwise you are back with sydney getting the benefit of the doubt and us not (at least in the fans eyes)

On 03/05/2021 at 9:05 AM, StringerBellend said:

What do you do now though? They’ve made their bed so to speak.Do

If you start allowing goals because the gap isn’t big enough what gap is big enough?? 

The idea of a thicker line that builds in error isn’t a bad one, if they are going to have var for offsite they have to have a hard rule as otherwise you are back with sydney getting the benefit of the doubt and us not (at least in the fans eyes)

It's not about there being a gap though.

It's more like

- theoretically there is an offside line, a molecule wide, say.

- we don't have, and probably will never have, the technology to measure that line.

- therefore any technology we have will be imperfect. Any piece we have will have a margin of error.

(at this point, I interject, and say, so why have it at all? just get rid of it. bring back the sydney bias, I don't care).

- my understanding is that at this point, the margin of error is quite wide - 10- 20 cm  I think i've read - , and probably roughly quanitifiable. Remember, it's not just the stupid lines they draw. It's when the camera has frozen, too. Has it picked the exact moment the ball has started to move forward? It's probably missed it, if we are talking about perfection.

- they need to acknowledge this. If, knowing roughly what that margin of error is, there is any chance that it is not offiside, do not decide it is. Very simple. Their stupid lines that are drawn on, if they overlap - that's probably within the margin of error - so, back to the AR's decision.

- this should also be done in the background. If it's the refs original decision, then there should be absolutely no need for a break in play. Having the ref come over to look - i still have no idea why football decided to go down this route. Can you image a cricket umpire doing it for a runout? Jogging off to the side to look at a screen? Or a tennis umpire? Why the hell do we do it? The guy in the box is a qualified ref. Just let him or her make the call. CHeck it, if it's fine or very very very close, let it go, if not, tell the ref to call it back. The energy that gets sucked out of the game for several minutes every couple of games is ridiculous.

It’d be relatively easy to work out the margin of error too. Book a field for a day, get a couple of attackers running off the defenders shoulder and someone playing through balls to repeatedly recreate close offside calls. The refs, AR’s and VAR use the current system to rule on them all as they normally would. While this is happening it’s also being filmed by some of those expensive high speed cameras that shoot at thousands of frames per second and can more reliably identify offside 

They could then see how often the current system gets close ones wrong and how far a player has to be offside before they’re right x% of the time. Make the lines that thickness and if they touch it’s too close for the system to reliably call so they stick with the original decision.

2 hours ago, marron said:

It's more like

- we don't have, and probably will never have, the technology to measure that line.

- therefore any technology we have will be imperfect. Any piece we have will have a margin of error.

(at this point, I interject, and say, so why have it at all? just get rid of it. bring back the sydney bias, I don't care).

- my understanding is that at this point, the margin of error is quite wide - 10- 20 cm  I think i've read - , and probably roughly quanitifiable. Remember, it's not just the stupid lines they draw. It's when the camera has frozen, too. Has it picked the exact moment the ball has started to move forward? It's probably missed it, if we are talking about perfection.

- they need to acknowledge this. If, knowing roughly what that margin of error is, there is any chance that it is not offiside, do not decide it is. Very simple. Their stupid lines that are drawn on, if they overlap - that's probably within the margin of error - so, back to the AR's decision.

- this should also be done in the background. If it's the refs original decision, then there should be absolutely no need for a break in play. Having the ref come over to look - i still have no idea why football decided to go down this route. Can you image a cricket umpire doing it for a runout? Jogging off to the side to look at a screen? Or a tennis umpire? Why the hell do we do it? The guy in the box is a qualified ref. Just let him or her make the call. CHeck it, if it's fine or very very very close, let it go, if not, tell the ref to call it back. The energy that gets sucked out of the game for several minutes every couple of games is ridiculous.

Personally i ditch VAR entirely it Rubins the game, like you say it’s sucks the life out of it. But if they are going to keep for offside then they need to factor the room for error

should be benefit or the doubt to the attacking side the all of a thick line has to be offside is the best idea I’ve heard 

19 hours ago, marron said:

It's more like

On the choice of the freeze frame for the ball contact, the recent video issued by the a league showing how VAR checks offside clearly shows they picked and used the wrong frame. Their choice was too late. 

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

City must be favourites tonight with no crowd allowed at Perth :xnod:

Would have been favourites anyway.

How about drawski at Redcliffe?

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

How about drawski at Redcliffe?

So far, so good.

Pitch looks a mess in parts there.

Just now, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Spoke too soon.

Yes...great goal tbf.

Not standing there he wasn't. 

Have to be making a run around the near post area, or standing near the keeper for any rebound.

6 minutes ago, mack said:

Keeper lost his near post and got punished for it.

He didn't move, so I doubt it mattered what he lost.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Not standing there he wasn't. 

Have to be making a run around the near post area, or standing near the keeper for any rebound.

Yes, very true, was wondering what he was doing. 

Quite shocked it didn't go in actually, huge scramble in the box, shot from Pain was almost a screamer.

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Chris Ikonomidis, what a strike, still don't understand why we didn't try and re-sign him, almost carried us to the finals in 17/18.

After his Lazio contract expired my guess is that we either gave him a deadline in June or July, he rejected it and we moved on, or that since he likely spent time trying to find a new club in Europe, by the time he & his agent decided to come back to Australia, we'd already signed Baumjohann and Ziegler and had no cap or squad room left for what his wages would cost.