Old McDonald Wins A Derby

Any word on Yeboah injury, he looked totally stuffed from about the 80th minute couldn’t run, but we had made 5 subs already. To be fair he battled on but he didn’t look right at all 

33 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Derby wins are great but finals football is what is required

A workmate of mine is a die hard smurf fan and is very salty this morning over the loss on Saturday.  However he hits back at me every time with more or less the same comments  and lets be honest they have it all over us on that front.  

19 minutes ago, jockman said:

A workmate of mine is a die hard smurf fan and is very salty this morning over the loss on Saturday.  However he hits back at me every time with more or less the same comments  and lets be honest they have it all over us on that front.  

Ask him how many gold stars on their jersey..?

:D

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Looking at the next 5 three home games in there WU, Wellington Roar all very winnable, 2 away a poor Perth and a derby (I’d be happy with a point away there)

The problem will be maintaining the same drive, energy and intensity for another week or two, also, the atmosphere as crowd numbers will be halved as we won't see our once a year attendees till whenever. Then again WU might be overawed as they are used to playing in front of 900 or so.

9 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

Was this the first time we scored 3 against them?

no

there was a 4-3 loss we incurred

28th February 2015 - Parramatta

WSW - La Rocca (32), Bulut (42, 52)

Sydney - Covic (9 o.g.), Janko (18, 23), Antonis (74)

Ok changes aside from Robbo I think the crowd, the occasion and atmosphere had the boys play out of their skin. We played similar to how the Mariners played against the Smurfs try to bully them in the midfield. It was only the last 15 minutes of the game that we started to drop to protect the 3-1 lead.

Fantastic win, and if we win against Fraudsters and Perth it will really get us on the groove for the 3rd derby.

23 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

no

there was a 4-3 loss we incurred

28th February 2015 - Parramatta

WSW - La Rocca (32), Bulut (42, 52)

Sydney - Covic (9 o.g.), Janko (18, 23), Antonis (74)

Oh, that's right. Well, this is the first time we've scored 3 and beat them. All the other wins I'm pretty sure we scored 2 max.

I thought we played much more compact than usual, leaving little space between the lines. A more patient game, keeping our structure, allowing Sydney FC to have possession, biding our time for opportunities to launch swift counter attacks. I think this style of play goes against CRs DNA, he apologised a number of times before and after the game for the boring strategy. But I think this strategy suits us best. We don't have many players that are good at retaining possession or passing precisely through tight spaces. The possession game is not for us. What we do have is explosive players with an eye for goal. CR went into this game on the back foot desperate not to lose. He paid Sydney FC a lot of respect, respect he has not afforded to other teams. I hope he has seen the light and takes this same strategy into all our remaining games.

Edited by JustWandering
2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Any word on Yeboah injury, he looked totally stuffed from about the 80th minute couldn’t run, but we had made 5 subs already. To be fair he battled on but he didn’t look right at all 

With Yeboah I can never tell whether he's injured or not the way he plays :xnod:

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Dunno which minute exactly, but he gave that shot some welly, shame it was straight at redmayne either side and lower it was going in.

On 02/05/2021 at 10:18 AM, wendybr said:

I have no problem with it, if it is widely appreciated, even though it would add to the carbon footprint of a game of football. :D:D

It people on the whole find it unnecessary....well, hmmmm...

Does anyone think the lingering smoke might have played a part in FC's goal soon after recommencement?

I only managed to work up the courage to watch this game on Sunday afternoon, having successfully avoided knowing the score until then.  I  honestly didn't think I could handle another repeat of our recent abysmal performances.  Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised, and even a bit teary eyed at the end.  The spectacle I saw reminded me again why the Wanderers experience is so unique and special in Australian sport!

A few things from me:

Do people think Kamau's recent excellent form will be enough to take his career to the next level in terms of national representation or overseas contracts?

Is the bald suit with mo who was on the ground with players after the match J.T?

Said it in another post, but I reckon Zeigler did good

It looked from the TV coverage that Yeboah stayed on the ground chatting to supporters and signing stuff long after everyone else.  Credit to him if so.

57 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Does anyone think the lingering smoke might have played a part in FC's goal soon after recommencement?

Yep

For years, there have been comments about the RBB ripping flares including that first ACL game and how it negatively affects the game

This is why active support should be left to the people actually in active support

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

I don't think so. It was another set piece goal conceded and Wilkinson got the better of Natta (apart from that moment Natta had an absolutely solid game)

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I don't think so. It was another set piece goal conceded and Wilkinson got the better of Natta (apart from that moment Natta had an absolutely solid game)

He was also marking Bobo for for their second goal. Gordon would be my pick for man of the match, only because Natta was marking both the goal scorers when they scored.

That’s no criticism of Natta though. He’s only a kid and has been phenomenal for his age. While he was marking both their goal scorers one of them is massively experienced and has represented his country at a World Cup, the other just broke the record to become the fastest to score 50 goals in the league. It’s good experience for an 18 year old.

1 minute ago, Davo said:

He was also marking Bobo for for their second goal. Gordon would be my pick for man of the match, only because Natta was marking both the goal scorers when they scored.

That’s no criticism of Natta though. He’s only a kid and has been phenomenal for his age. While he was marking both their goal scorers one of them is massively experienced and has represented his country at a World Cup, the other just broke the record to become the fastest to score 50 goals in the league. It’s good experience for an 18 year old.

That's well said.

He has made misakes, which is understandable, but he has also been there to shut down many more challenges and calmly clear the ball. If I have any other criticism of him, it is that he seems to just lack a little bit of pace. That's not a criticism per se, just an observation.

I have however, been most impressed with two other facets of his game. Firstly, his passing accuracy - and I'm not just talking about the tikka takka bewteen his centre and wing backs. Many of his long balls to our midfielders and forwards have been pinpoint. Secondly, his cool, calm and collected attitude in defence. He never seems flustered or intimidated. If he misses a tackle or gets beaten in attack, he works hard to get back and repair the damage. He also has seemed to win a high percentage of headers in a one on one situation. His timing is very accurate. He has been one of the shining lights of this season. Unfortunately for us but great for him, someone with his ability at this stage of his career will no doubt be heading of to greener pastures for bigger dollars before too long.

Kamau has become a crucial factor. Unfortunately like Tomi Juric and Romeo he is made of glass. Seemed to tweak something on Saturday and I would not be surprised to see him out for a period. At this level of the game someone who can run at opponents at pace and put their defensive structure on the back foot are real difference makers. We need Bruce to be fit and firing to make any impact from here on in.