Old McDonald Wins A Derby

48 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

The salt from Baumjohann lol.

I'm sure he really enjoyed eating the turf again after going down more times than a prostitute.

In my opinion, last season has an * next to it. The whole finals series had to be played at Bankwest, so all of those out of Sydney teams were impacted mentally by not being able to host a finals game and not have any of their fans due to travel not being allowed, heavily falling in sfcs favour. 

The 'Grand' final was useless, played in front of 75% empty seats with little to no away fans due to melbournians being locked out, again, heavily falling into sfcs favour. That's definitely not the way I would want my team to win a grand final. 

If I was going to brag about winning a comp at my rivals ground, I would want it to actually be against them and their fans in the stadium. 

Edited by GE942150
21 hours ago, JustWandering said:

I thought we played much more compact than usual, leaving little space between the lines. A more patient game, keeping our structure, allowing Sydney FC to have possession, biding our time for opportunities to launch swift counter attacks. I think this style of play goes against CRs DNA, he apologised a number of times before and after the game for the boring strategy. But I think this strategy suits us best. We don't have many players that are good at retaining possession or passing precisely through tight spaces. The possession game is not for us. What we do have is explosive players with an eye for goal. CR went into this game on the back foot desperate not to lose. He paid Sydney FC a lot of respect, respect he has not afforded to other teams. I hope he has seen the light and takes this same strategy into all our remaining games.

I thought we defended well but I don’t know how much structure there was about it. I also don’t know much purpose there was to us letting them have the ball either. When possession is 25-75 I’m not sure whether you can claim that as a planned strategy haha

To me it felt like most of our defence was last gasp tackles and backs to the wall type grinding, particularly in the second half. You love to see it but it’s not a viable long term set up and had the game gone any longer I don’t think we would’ve been walking away with 3 points. 

Agree about the counter attacking though, that totally caught them off guard with the first two goals and I don’t think they ever recovered. 

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

I thought we defended well but I don’t know how much structure there was about it. I also don’t know much purpose there was to us letting them have the ball either. When possession is 25-75 I’m not sure whether you can claim that as a planned strategy haha

To me it felt like most of our defence was last gasp tackles and backs to the wall type grinding, particularly in the second half. You love to see it but it’s not a viable long term set up and had the game gone any longer I don’t think we would’ve been walking away with 3 points. 

Agree about the counter attacking though, that totally caught them off guard with the first two goals and I don’t think they ever recovered. 

True, it's not likely that the 25-75 split in possession was intentional. What I meant was that our front line did not move forward to press their back line to try and win the ball up field, I believe to avoid stretching the field. The structure was not so good in the second half, but the subs may have contributed to this. 4 of our 5 attacking players were subbed off and 3 defenders were subbed on. It was pretty chaotic from then on.

On 03/05/2021 at 7:30 PM, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

The salt from Baumjohann lol.

I'm sure he really enjoyed eating the turf again after going down more times than a prostitute.

I'm so tempted on creating a twitter handle and calling it "HasBaumjohannWonASydneyDerbyYet?" and just messaging him everyday saying "no" or "nope"

However, knowing my luck...the prick would either:

A) Block me
B) F*cking win the next upcoming derby

Edited by MathyouWSW