No Laughing Matter After Derby Loss

48 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

I was also trying to find that myself but no luck

For comparison, there were two sporting events in Sydney today

Eels hosting Manly at Bankwest - 24,411 (Manly win)

GWS hosting West Coast at Spotless - 9,046 (GWS win)

Found it now

Sydney vs WSW - 17,121

Just now, WHACKO said:

Is he going to be assistant coach of the NPL 2 side.

Or perhaps by “here” he means Australia and perhaps by “success” he means in a different code?

6 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

Hmmmmmm. It really is hard to see where the club goes from here. Starting to think we are destined to be also-rans forever with the first few years of our existence and success an aberration. 

Effectively we have been mediocre under-achievers ever since the current owners got their sweet deal from FFA. They seem to be content with insipid, inconsistent performances from the team and a merry-go-round of ineffective foreign coaches and staff. They also seem to believe that we members will simply hand over our cash each year and endure the tepid, passion-less (with the odd exception) games dished up each week, in addition to them helping to destroy active support and any unique game day experience we might actually enjoy. True they have built the academy and kudos to them for that but we aren’t just a development club fielding under 20s.

The members and indeed the region deserve better. In those early years something special was created - not just another franchise, although of course on one level that is what it was - and the disparate tribes of Western Sydney came together to support the Wanderers. We even began to see some healing between the “old soccer” and “new football” types after the demise of the NSL.

Come on WSW. We want a team that values hard work and  plays with passion and heart and represents us. I really hope it can happen again but I’m not optimistic at present.

Gold star post, Potkorok! :clapping:

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

I really couldn’t care less if the players are having a laugh and chewing the fat after the game. If you or I have a bad/tough day at work, are we expected to sulk our way out the door and all the way home? 

It’s on a Monday morning when the debrief and solutions need to happen, which they’re clearly not anyway. Hence why I have even less of a problem with the players doing what they want at the final whistle.

Yeah can’t say I agree at all, you don’t need to sulk but essentially the season is now done for and your out the against your bitter rivals and your laughing and smiling about it? Doesn’t sit well with me 

remember that time Big Sash Og bellowed at his teammate for trying to help a WSW player stretch out a cramp? 

with the season on the line that’s what I want to see this isn’t Sunday kickaround aa7 it’s professional football 

plenty of time to laugh with the opposition behind close doors doesn’t need to be on the pitch 

Santalab would be tearing the arse off some of these players! 

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Two games next week will decide it one way or the other. Beat Nix and the Roar we have a shot....lose or even draw and it's bye bye baby goodbye.

What about the game against Adelaide away.

19 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Yeah can’t say I agree at all, you don’t need to sulk but essentially the season is now done for and your out the against your bitter rivals and your laughing and smiling about it? Doesn’t sit well with me 

remember that time Big Sash Og bellowed at his teammate for trying to help a WSW player stretch out a cramp? 

with the season on the line that’s what I want to see this isn’t Sunday kickaround aa7 it’s professional football 

plenty of time to laugh with the opposition behind close doors doesn’t need to be on the pitch 

Santalab would be tearing the arse off some of these players! 

It was Vedran helping someone stretch out a cramp. Og shredded him.

We need less Vedrans and more Ogs. As you said, the last one we had was Santa.

None of our current crop are that player. We need to find 1 or 2 players that love the club and want to be here. We

Watched a replay of the Season 1 gave vs Newcastle at Marathon Stadium... when we won the premiers plate. 

Few injuries had Yanni Perkatis (debut at DM) and Rocky Visconte (scored a cracker) play important roles. 

Both those players didn't miss a beat. Shows that Popa had a well drilled squad, with all players fit and ready to fire, and everyone knowing their role. 

CR has Duke, Ibini, Troisi, McGowan looking like absolute duds. 

Visa players, minus Gordan... crap. 

Zero cohesion all year and no evident plan B once we are a goal down chasing games. 

Muscat in for me (as much as it pains me to say it).

1 minute ago, mintoff said:

What about the game against Adelaide away.

Win all of them and we have a shot. Lose ANY game before Adl and it's season over.

1 hour ago, pseudonym said:

I was also trying to find that myself but no luck

For comparison, there were two sporting events in Sydney today

Eels hosting Manly at Bankwest - 24,411 (Manly win)

GWS hosting West Coast at Spotless - 9,046 (GWS win)

Only 24,411 with all that money spent on advertising.

I think it is in Wanderers best interests to give Robbo a shot at next year.

if he can clean out those players with no value to us as a starting team player (remember we do need squaddies)  and replace them quality players in the correct positions we will be in contention.

We should not forget we have scored enough goals to be in the top 2 or 3 in this league so do we need to improve that area ?? .

Obviously our defence is the issue as we would probably be in the bottom 2 with the amount we have conceded.

Robbo has tried 3 at the back 4 at the back even 5 at the back with very limited success with any of them , some days good  some days bad

So what is the answer in defence remembering we now have what could turn out to be the  best defensive midfielders in the league Ugargovic and Dorrans are both good quality players, do we have decent centre back,  no we don’t , Ziegler and McGowan are not up to standard Natta will be a better  player next year , Aqualina will be better next year,  Russell seems to making poor decisions of late and  Wilmering will be a good asset to have.

A decent decent centre backend depending on player movement a Attacking midfielder and a Centre forward .

Just to  finish of Melbourne City are Minor Premiers this year with a team of men some of these were kids a couple of years ago when they were a questionable team with a soft underbelly. They held the core together with quality minor adjustments and now look , enough said !!!!

1 minute ago, SNS100 said:

Watched a replay of the Season 1 gave vs Newcastle at Marathon Stadium... when we won the premiers plate. 

Few injuries had Yanni Perkatis (debut at DM) and Rocky Visconte (scored a cracker) play important roles. 

Both those players didn't miss a beat. Shows that Popa had a well drilled squad, with all players fit and ready to fire, and everyone knowing their role. 

CR has Duke, Ibini, Troisi, McGowan looking like absolute duds. 

Visa players, minus Gordan... crap. 

Zero cohesion all year and no evident plan B once we are a goal down chasing games. 

Muscat in for me (as much as it pains me to say it).

Popa knew how to rotate his squad and everyone who came in knew their job as you say. Throw in some wise heads who had been there and done it and a natural leader or two, plus a solid CB and you have the right blend. 

The current roster suggests this should be our best ever side but you are right, there is no cohesion. I have never seen a team go missing for such long stretches in a game as we have this season, it’s ridiculous. CR doesn’t know how to bring the side together, not a clue, so time to go.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

I think it will be over before Adelaide tbh.

Yep......Sad but have to agree.

Technically we could get ahead of the Mariners & Adelaide if neither of them won another game and the goal difference was in our favour. But that's unlikely.

If we win all 3 games we might get us as high as 5th on "typical" results, or 3rd (lol) on the miracle set of results.

Lose to the Nix and we'd drop down to 10th with only 6 points left. We would need to obliterate the Roar to bring down the goal difference issue, and we'd also need to win the final game against Adelaide, which is an away game with Adelaide a team who if they pull out a win against SFC next Saturday, would be trying to score 10 and hope the Smurfs lose the final game of the season against the Roar, who will likely be playing for the final place in the top 6 and thus want to win at all costs.

3 minutes ago, mack said:

Technically we could get ahead of the Mariners & Adelaide if neither of them won another game and the goal difference was in our favour. But that's unlikely.

If we win all 3 games we might get us as high as 5th on "typical" results, or 3rd (lol) on the miracle set of results.

Lose to the Nix and we'd drop down to 10th with only 6 points left. We would need to obliterate the Roar to bring down the goal difference issue, and we'd also need to win the final game against Adelaide, which is an away game with Adelaide a team who if they pull out a win against SFC next Saturday, would be trying to score 10 and hope the Smurfs lose the final game of the season against the Roar, who will likely be playing for the final place in the top 6 and thus want to win at all costs.

The Wanderers way would be to be in sitting in 6th place in the 96th minute at Adelaide and then give away a stupid penna or VAR **** us over. By the final whistle 2 seconds after the Adelaide goal we will be down to like 8th or something....

Its what we do..

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The Wanderers way would be to be in sitting in 6th place in the 96th minute at Adelaide and then give away a stupid penna or VAR **** us over. By the final whistle 2 seconds after the Adelaide goal we will be down to like 8th or something....

Its what we do..

I think I'm right iirc ....A la Keanu Baccus getting a red against Adl when Gumby was manager and our finals hopes went with it.........( even though the Adl player was offside prior to foul....)

Edited by sonar

There was some good things that came out of today's game. 

Some of Margush's performance was well. There was some bits where he was just smothered by the Smurfs so it seems the only option he could do was punch the ball away. But, he did some superb saves where it looked like the squad could of been down by 2 goals (or more).

Unfortunately, there was bad things to this game though...where do I begin:

- Beath's officiating (He doesn't have a f*cking clue what he is doing)
- McGowan being calling into the starting XI (absurd decision by Robinson)
- Playing a back 5 when the squad defeated them in the reserve fixture a few weeks ago with a back 4 instead (if the squad wins in a particular formation and win, why change it?) 
- Robinson deciding to take off the one the squad's best defender. 

I tried to have high hopes for the squad. But, when you seen the club announce the starting XI and it's a back 3 with McGowan. Plus, Beath is officiating, their chances were very thin.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

There was some good things that came out of today's game. 

Some of Margush's performance was well. There was some bits where he was just smothered by the Smurfs so it seems the only option he could do was punch the ball away. But, he did some superb saves where it looked like the squad could of been down by 2 goals (or more).

Unfortunately, there was bad things to this game though...where do I begin:

- Beath's officiating (He doesn't have a f*cking clue what he is doing)
- McGowan being calling into the starting XI (absurd decision by Robinson)
- Playing a back 5 when the squad defeated them in the reserve fixture a few weeks ago with a back 4 instead (if the squad wins in a particular formation and win, why change it?) 
- Robinson deciding to take off the one the squad's best defender. 

I tried to have high hopes for the squad. But, when you seen the club announce the starting XI and it's a back 3 with McGowan. Plus, Beath is officiating, their chances were very thin.

I thought Beath had one of his better games.

By that I mean he is still shyte, but by his low standards it was a passable attempt at running the game.

Edited by Smoggy

"Pride Power West" they said

"Titles" they said

"ACL" they said

"Bold plan" he said

"Mark my words" he said

"FMD" and "Bollocks" I say.

Remember the pre season promo video with CR, pumping up the team with a motivational talk? He's done the opposite, depleted the players he inherited, as well as the ones he signed.

CR is the most powerful manager since Popa, was given total control of the HAL side, and a good chunk of the backend. 

CR is all talk. Wants to coach the Welsh NT. How about that for a joke? Outcoached by guys hardly anyone would have welcomed at wsw. But here we are.

Same fraud as Gombau, just more eloquent, more expensive and without bus driving experience. 

Gombau would be top 4 with this squad as long as he didn't stick to a 5 at the back. This squad is far more talented than the one he inherited from Popa. Robinson has wasted it.

Duke up front, Troisi as the attacking mid, Kamau on the right, Muller or Ibini on the left, a midfield duo from Mutch/Dorrans/Baccus, Margush in goal and a simple back four of Aquilina/Wilmering, Natta, Gordon & Russell.

That squad compares favourably with the 17/18 team that had Riera up front, Roly as a total fraud in that first season, Cejudo & Jumpei stealing a living, the Baccus', Herd or Melling in the midfield and the glacial defensive unit of the Thwaites and Hamill. Not to mention the invisible fullbacks Llorente, Clisby & Risdon.

This season's squad depth is massively better as well. We had Santalab who was already well past his peak and Lachlan Scott coming off the bench vs this season where we have Yeboah, Ibini/Muller, Cox or McDonald and defensive cover from Ziegler & the non-preferred youth fullback.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Remember the pre season promo video with CR, pumping up the team with a motivational talk? 

Oh yeah, we sure do. Embarrassingly, the club has pinned it on twitter page:

1 hour ago, MathyouWSW said:

Sad isn't it?

Still use part of that on Foxtel.

5 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Sad isn't it?

Still use part of that on Foxtel.

Also played at every home game...makes me sick.

6 hours ago, mack said:

Gombau would be top 4 with this squad as long as he didn't stick to a 5 at the back. This squad is far more talented than the one he inherited from Popa. Robinson has wasted it.

Duke up front, Troisi as the attacking mid, Kamau on the right, Muller or Ibini on the left, a midfield duo from Mutch/Dorrans/Baccus, Margush in goal and a simple back four of Aquilina/Wilmering, Natta, Gordon & Russell.

That squad compares favourably with the 17/18 team that had Riera up front, Roly as a total fraud in that first season, Cejudo & Jumpei stealing a living, the Baccus', Herd or Melling in the midfield and the glacial defensive unit of the Thwaites and Hamill. Not to mention the invisible fullbacks Llorente, Clisby & Risdon.

This season's squad depth is massively better as well. We had Santalab who was already well past his peak and Lachlan Scott coming off the bench vs this season where we have Yeboah, Ibini/Muller, Cox or McDonald and defensive cover from Ziegler & the non-preferred youth fullback.

I agree Cr has wasted the squad, I feel like Gumby would have wasted it too but who knows 

gumby had the best striker in the league and yet wasted him

popa would have this squad top 2

nothing from our managers suggests they’d have done much better

that said club had backed Cr with players