Jump to content

No Laughing Matter After Derby Loss


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Yeah can’t say I agree at all, you don’t need to sulk but essentially the season is now done for and your out the against your bitter rivals and your laughing and smiling about it? Doesn’t sit well with me 

remember that time Big Sash Og bellowed at his teammate for trying to help a WSW player stretch out a cramp? 

with the season on the line that’s what I want to see this isn’t Sunday kickaround aa7 it’s professional football 

plenty of time to laugh with the opposition behind close doors doesn’t need to be on the pitch 

Santalab would be tearing the arse off some of these players! 

Hi GW and Mack

I probably should just shut up, but....I'm not sure what the players should have done.

I knew there'd be resentment towards players chatting and smiling after the game, and they could have play acted,  I guess.

But they were doing what the players do after games EVERY single week.

Ognanovski's bellowing at Vedran for showing compassion was disgusting IMO. It's a football game, not mortal combat, and lending a momentary helping hand rather than turning your back on someone in that instance was basic human decency.

Really...the pre-game displays of bitter rivalry (for players and teams, in the A League at least) are theatre, on a par with boxers facing off at a weigh in. Designed to whip up supporters, and get bums on seats.

The fans, in some instances (maybe it's in many instances at derbies) treat it as warfare almost, but the players wouldn't.

Of course, we'd all like to see players commit to every game with 100% heart and passion. Our club, and its merry-go-round of players, can't truly inspire that at the moment imo, and it feels like a way off before we can have that back again...sadly.

Link to post
15 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hi GW and Mack

I probably should just shut up, but....I'm not sure what the players should have done.

I knew there'd be resentment towards players chatting and smiling after the game, and they could have play acted I guess.

But they were doing what the players do after games EVERY single week.

Ognanovski's bellowing at Vedran for showing compassion was disgusting IMO. It's a football game, not mortal combat, and lending a momentary helping hand rather than turning your back on someone in that instance was basic human decency.

Really...the pre-game shows of bitter rivalry for players and teams, in the A League at least, are theatre, on a par with boxers facing off at a weigh in. Designed to whip up supporters, and get bums on seats.

The fans in some instances (maybe it's in many instances at derbies) treat it as warfare almost, but the players wouldn't.

Of course, we'd all like to see players commit to every game with 100% heart and passion. Our club, and it's merry-go-round of players, can't truly inspire that at the moment imo, and it feels like a way off before we can have that back again...sadly.

i dont care what they do after but the last 45 of the game was dreadful

Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I agree Cr has wasted the squad, I feel like Gumby would have wasted it too but who knows 

gumby had the best striker in the league and yet wasted him

popa would have this squad top 2

nothing from our managers suggests they’d have done much better

that said club had backed Cr with players 

Person I feel most sorry for is Kamau. A players career is so short, if you are killing it and having a good season you want to be in the big games at the end of season, you expect to be! I can imagine him sitting on the pitch after the final whistle in the last game and be like 'what the **** happened'!

Yeah he wants away and the decent season will likely get him that as his reward. But you would as a minimum expect him to be gracing a semi final.

Best/ most loaded side to miss out on the finals, possibly. **** are we even under the cap ?lol

The club threw a lot at this season and it has right royally ****ed up.

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post

Yea this was shades of last year I thought defensively it was ok but we couldn't get out and the goal was only a matter of time despite the incredible efforts from Margush. Easts double teaming Kamau pretty much stopped him from him having his usual impact and being forced to go back the only time he was free was goal that was disallowed by VAR but they absolutely shut him out of the game. Mcgowan though far out why did CR drop Ziegler for? half the time Mcgowan was just chasing the ball, Natta and Ziggy though had great games in spite of Mcgowan.

The Urgakovic and Dorrans combo IDK I think Robbo is overestimating the impact to just throw Urgakovic into the team at this late stage after just joining the team especially when he is so similar to Dorrans, and I feel its hampered our ability to get forward. He should have started Mutch instead and bring Urgakovic after half time to shore up the defence.

Regardless now we are starting to talk Maths with the table and things going our way to save the season but I think were done now. This team isn't going to do a miraculous turn around and win the next 3 games.

Link to post
11 hours ago, mintoff said:

Only 24,411 with all that money spent on advertising.

Mate any A league club would kill for that kind of crowd on a regular basis - only Wellington (special event, 1st game home) and Bankwest derby have gotten close. Unfortunately the Eels are going to out-pull us for a while I reckon. They tend to have pretty loyal supporters even when they are doing poorly. They are averaging in the order of around 23k atm I think. 

Link to post
13 hours ago, wendybr said:

I understand how fans could be upset, but it's never worried me either.

They'd be mates, former team mates, future squad mates etc etc. Players don't hate each other the way fans may (absurdly imho) hate each other.

In the case of today's game, our players might concede that we haven't really deserved to have had so many wins over the past few games/wouldn't realistically have expected a win away from home, or weren't particularly devastated.

Plus, as observed here elsewhere , there was no real intensity or anticipation for this...after we'd only played them a few weeks ago.

Not sure that many forumites attended, or supporters.

IDK...I'd have been surprised to see them looking devastated and sulking.

About sums up my feelings too....the lack of intensity once again deeply disappointing. It's frustrating because in many games we have actually shown glimpses of decent build up play but never sustain it for long periods. Having seen the pitch at the start yesterday I knew it was going to be an ugly game but I felt that it would hamper Sydney more than ourselves but we really didn't get a grip.

Link to post

@wendybr first of all it’s a forum one never has to shut up! Without posts Mack has nothing hahaha 

as I said my issue is it’s a derby, the season has ended and it’s not the time to be having a laugh, the reason I bought up Santa us he used to epitomise what it meant to wear your heart on your sleeve. 
I loved that. 
 

if others are happy to see their players be happy the season has ended on a dismal display to their rivals that’s fine also 🙂

as for the Og incident I don’t think human decency applies - if it’s a bad injury then yes show compassion for a mere cramp well yes I’m in the Og camp let him suffer until a teammate comes 😎

Link to post
6 hours ago, wendybr said:

Hi GW and Mack

I probably should just shut up, but....I'm not sure what the players should have done.

It's not so much about "doing" but demonstrating that they give a toss. I don't ask the players to act like adversaries, but during the game at least they are opponents, and that needs to come across on the pitch.

Put a microphone in front of players and staff before a derby and they will tell you that it is an important game blah blah blah. Thousands of WSW fans travel to the East of town, and are then dished out a performance that does not do the occasion any justice. And after the final whistle they stand there, chatting like a pre season friendly has just been played.

I was on the same flight as the team after the S2 GF loss in Brisbane. It was like a funeral, a flight to remember. Before boarding the plane I was talking to a few of the players, Santa was just about in tears. A few months later I spoke to him again at the airport when the team returned from the away game against Guangzhou, he remembered me from Brisbane airport, and he was beaming because of the result.

The club clearly mattered to him, and I do wonder how many players we've had since season five who truly gave a ****, who would lose sleep over **** results. I dare say not many. We keep signing mercenaries, and it shows.

 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FCB said:

It's not so much about "doing" but demonstrating that they give a toss. I don't ask the players to act like adversaries, but during the game at least they are opponents, and that needs to come across on the pitch.

Put a microphone in front of players and staff before a derby and they will tell you that it is an important game blah blah blah. Thousands of WSW fans travel to the East of town, and are then dished out a performance that does not do the occasion any justice. And after the final whistle they stand there, chatting like a pre season friendly has just been played.

I was on the same flight as the team after the S2 GF loss in Brisbane. It was like a funeral, a flight to remember. Before boarding the plane I was talking to a few of the players, Santa was just about in tears. A few months later I spoke to him again at the airport when the team returned from the away game against Guangzhou, he remembered me from Brisbane airport, and he was beaming because of the result.

The club clearly mattered to him, and I do wonder how many players we've had since season five who truly gave a ****, who would lose sleep over **** results. I dare say not many. We keep signing mercenaries, and it shows.

 

Ahhh the Brissy away GF, more happy mems. I was sat with Dicko on the way up, singing wanderers songs as we landed and all the way through the terminal lol

I miss those days :cry:

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Best/ most loaded side to miss out on the finals, possibly. **** are we even under the cap ?lol

I keep hearing that, best side to miss the finals, we have the players and all that but where?

Margush, Aquilina, Russell, Natta, Bacchus - all kids that will make mistakes and all basically in defence.  They have all been pretty good but they are going to make errors that's just reality.

Troisi, Ibini, McGowan, Dorrans, Mutch, Cox, Mueller, Yeboah and in the last few weeks even add Duke to this group - seriously they have each played 2 solid games each all season, some maybe a few more but not many.

The only two who have given 100% while on the pitch every time they are on there are Gordon and Kamau.

So where is this loaded, most talented team we are talking about?  It simply doesnt exist.

Link to post

On the whole reaction of the players after the match. The players know a derby means a lot to the fans and is one of the biggest games of the season. Add in the context of the performance being terrible plus result pretty much killing the season, and the players know that the fans would be hurting. Even if they don't feel devastated about all that (which they should) they could at least keep a lid of the laughing and joking with the team that comprehensively beat them until they're off the field and behind closed doors. The fact that they either aren't giving the fans a second thought or don't care enough about us to fake the gesture is a problem.

Link to post
11 minutes ago, scarcev said:

I keep hearing that, best side to miss the finals, we have the players and all that but where?

Margush, Aquilina, Russell, Natta, Bacchus - all kids that will make mistakes and all basically in defence.  They have all been pretty good but they are going to make errors that's just reality.

Troisi, Ibini, McGowan, Dorrans, Mutch, Cox, Mueller, Yeboah and in the last few weeks even add Duke to this group - seriously they have each played 2 solid games each all season, some maybe a few more but not many.

The only two who have given 100% while on the pitch every time they are on there are Gordon and Kamau.

So where is this loaded, most talented team we are talking about?  It simply doesnt exist.

Glad someone with your credentials said it. I often think it.

Managers removed from the equation, I have never been able to see how our team would compare at least to the current SFC, Melb City and even Perth...in terms of experience,  cohesion due to having played together for so long, and balance.

As for  comparing this team to some of the A League teams of the past, or our own team when we started....I just can't see it.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Glad someone with your credentials said it. I often think it.

Managers removed from the equation, I have never been able to see how our team would compare at least to the current SFC, Melb City and even Perth...in terms of experience,  cohesion due to having played together for so long, and balance.

As for  comparing this team to some of the A League teams of the past, or our own team when we started....I just can't see it.

Unfortunately the only solution is to keep going and weed out the ones that don't perform.  Ultimately it is the manager that has to get these guys to play and I am not convinced that CR is a good manager, I feel as if he knows what he is doing but lets games go too far before changing things up and plays not to lose rather than to win (look at the weekend, we were on the ropes but changes were made only after we conceded, something that has been his hallmark) we needed a goal at 0-0 as much as we did at 0-1.  We have become the perfect flat track bulies, when things are going well we are great, when they are tough we have no solution or change up plan.  Having said all that a new manager and another rebuild and another 3 seasons of rubbish is not the answer.  They have to stick and hope it changes while weeding out non performers before they get rid of CR.

Link to post
37 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ahhh the Brissy away GF, more happy mems. I was sat with Dicko on the way up, singing wanderers songs as we landed and all the way through the terminal lol

I miss those days :cry:

The march from the pub was amazing too.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Glad someone with your credentials said it. I often think it.

Managers removed from the equation, I have never been able to see how our team would compare at least to the current SFC, Melb City and even Perth...in terms of experience,  cohesion due to having played together for so long, and balance.

As for  comparing this team to some of the A League teams of the past, or our own team when we started....I just can't see it.

Far too many overrated individual players in our team atm, not enough quiet quality (Shinji and.....well Shinji) and hard-working journeymen (Topor, Bridge, Polenz, Santa). I mean Ibini and Troisi seriously what were we thinking.....alright Troisi had a couple of decent games but he should have had 15-20 decent games given his background and I'm afraid Ibini seems to have developed the first touch of a hyperactive giraffe. The expression "mercenary" players comes to mind - gun for hire with little commitment to the club or culture. Most of the imports appear past it and it's left to a few players and the kids to pick up the slack. But the manager is the boss - who knows if some of these guys would have been more effective with a different formation? Although the previous derby suggests yes.

Link to post
27 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Glad someone with your credentials said it. I often think it.

Managers removed from the equation, I have never been able to see how our team would compare at least to the current SFC, Melb City and even Perth...in terms of experience,  cohesion due to having played together for so long, and balance.

As for  comparing this team to some of the A League teams of the past, or our own team when we started....I just can't see it.

We are 9th, city and sydney above us due stability I get 

9th

 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Glad someone with your credentials said it. I often think it.

Managers removed from the equation, I have never been able to see how our team would compare at least to the current SFC, Melb City and even Perth...in terms of experience,  cohesion due to having played together for so long, and balance.

As for  comparing this team to some of the A League teams of the past, or our own team when we started....I just can't see it.

Lol let's see what roster we get next year eh. Maybe less is more lol.

Yes only a few have put in 100%, and that is the issue. The squad we have should have been performing better and opinions may differ on where the finger is pointed regarding why they haven't.

Let's see who moves on and does what elsewhere as I have an idea at least a couple will do OK to very well when they leave us.

Saying that only a few performing well for me rests at the feet of CR. 

Saying our team isn't all that crash hot regardless anyway gives CR wriggle room, which he doesn't deserve.

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
31 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

I mean Ibini and Troisi seriously what were we thinking

CR came in late, no quality players available in October, and they poached them to get a few more senior guys on the roster, more out of necessity than anything else.

Link to post
Posted (edited)

Can anyone try and explain the thinking behind this man...I am at a loss. Three weeks ago we played them and won...Much to my surprise, I thought we could get done by as much as 5. Then three weeks later he changes the system and the staring line-up. We didn't have injuries or suspensions...So why would you changed what worked three weeks ago...why?

Edited by WHACKO
Link to post

Sydney didn’t try the tough guy act and just played football. Suits them much better, they’re not a team who can scrap. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, scarcev said:

I keep hearing that, best side to miss the finals, we have the players and all that but where?

Margush, Aquilina, Russell, Natta, Bacchus - all kids that will make mistakes and all basically in defence.  They have all been pretty good but they are going to make errors that's just reality.

Troisi, Ibini, McGowan, Dorrans, Mutch, Cox, Mueller, Yeboah and in the last few weeks even add Duke to this group - seriously they have each played 2 solid games each all season, some maybe a few more but not many.

The only two who have given 100% while on the pitch every time they are on there are Gordon and Kamau.

So where is this loaded, most talented team we are talking about?  It simply doesnt exist.

Could not agree more, I made similar comments months ago. Anyone who regularly attended our home games this year could clearly see that most teams we played were better, and Melb city just toyed with us and made us look exactly like the 9th posn team we currently are. We really were having ourselves on that we had good players. 

Link to post
5 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

We just need a new assistant coach...with initials of AP.

So we can have CR & AP...CRAP to sum it all up.

 Don't think Ange" Postecoglou is available at present, however,  would much prefer him as Coach rather than assistant.

Link to post

That was awful on so many levels.
It was as if the NRL and AFL colluded and did what the needed to to make the worst possible experience at an A-League game.
Honestly...
- What the hell is all that security and police for?
- The SCG is the worst venue I've ever seen a game from (and I've been going to games since the early 1970s).
- I've never been to a game before and been so far from the play (I spent most of the game looking at the screen)

Quiet simply I will never go to a game at the SCG again.
If Sydney FC/FFA/A-League had any sense they'd just play the games at Bankwest.
[at least that way, both sets of fans would enjoy the game].

As for the team...
... look we just have to stop changing. And changing. And changing.
I was more familiar with the opposing team yesterday.
Someone will know this, but who has played the most games for us in the last 5 years (ie since the Adelaide GF).
I'm guessing it'll be a low number.

There's no heart. No spirit. No culture.
There's nothing remotely passionate, nobody gives a flying ****.
It'd just a bunch of blokes going through the motions, with a few promising younger players thrown in.
This team, unfortunately epitomises the 'football slag-off-ers'... it is sh1te football from a sh1te team in a sh1te league.
If the A-League is trying to promote AFL, then they are doing it well.

Look I think I'll always support the Wanderers and will have the happy memories of the first few years.
Driving to Adelaide for the GF with my youngest was the highlight.
But I can't justify a membership anymore.
Or going out of my way to be harassed like that and served up that rubbish.
I was searched less entering parts of Belfast in the 80s.
The only highlights of yesterday was Margush's saves and the new Light Rail home (hey that was handy).

Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ossified said:

Could not agree more, I made similar comments months ago. Anyone who regularly attended our home games this year could clearly see that most teams we played were better, and Melb city just toyed with us and made us look exactly like the 9th posn team we currently are. We really were having ourselves on that we had good players. 

Couldn't agree more but the thing is that we really do have good, or talented players.

Why they haven't performed to their ability this season is the issue.

If we, at the end of last season had seen a player list like we have this season, we would have been rather excited about our prospects. Yet, hear we are.

Are our poor performances down to CR? Or could it be down to some of the players being up themselves, thinking they are bigger than the game? Are CR's tactics not agreeing with them, and/or are they not being allowed to play their natural games? 

It has been a confusing season. We have a squad that should be challenging for the league. We have had some fantastic academy players come through and others that have developed (Natta, Wilmering after his injury, etc..)

I've been as frustrated as all hell watching our up and down performances. Tbh, I can't put a finger on any one reason why we haven't been more consistent.

We have the squad (and even strengthened it with McDonald and Ugarcovic and Duke through the season) to challenge for the title.

I'm just getting the feeling that the players just aren't gelling with CR's tactics. Too many top name players not getting enough game time. Maybe it's time to go back to searching for legend players like Polenz/Kresinger, who didn't cost a bomb, were unknown by all, but bled Red and Black when they arrived. They put their bodies on the line, worked their arses off every game and loved our club while they were here. Current players like Ibini/Troisi give me the impression that their pay cheque and reputation are more important than our club. 

 

 

Edited by Wanderboy
Link to post
11 minutes ago, BohemianDublin said:

That was awful on so many levels.
It was as if the NRL and AFL colluded and did what the needed to to make the worst possible experience at an A-League game.
Honestly...
- What the hell is all that security and police for?
- The SCG is the worst venue I've ever seen a game from (and I've been going to games since the early 1970s).
- I've never been to a game before and been so far from the play (I spent most of the game looking at the screen)

Quiet simply I will never go to a game at the SCG again.
If Sydney FC/FFA/A-League had any sense they'd just play the games at Bankwest.
[at least that way, both sets of fans would enjoy the game].

As for the team...
... look we just have to stop changing. And changing. And changing.
I was more familiar with the opposing team yesterday.
Someone will know this, but who has played the most games for us in the last 5 years (ie since the Adelaide GF).
I'm guessing it'll be a low number.

There's no heart. No spirit. No culture.
There's nothing remotely passionate, nobody gives a flying ****.
It'd just a bunch of blokes going through the motions, with a few promising younger players thrown in.
This team, unfortunately epitomises the 'football slag-off-ers'... it is sh1te football from a sh1te team in a sh1te league.
If the A-League is trying to promote AFL, then they are doing it well.

Look I think I'll always support the Wanderers and will have the happy memories of the first few years.
Driving to Adelaide for the GF with my youngest was the highlight.
But I can't justify a membership anymore.
Or going out of my way to be harassed like that and served up that rubbish.
I was searched less entering parts of Belfast in the 80s.
The only highlights of yesterday was Margush's saves and the new Light Rail home (hey that was handy).

You echo what many here are saying and thinking.

Regarding the venue, I went to a Celtic v Arsenal game there sometime in the late 70's and swore/promised I'd never go there again, I have kept that promise and will continue to.

A few weeks ago Someone posted a very negative experience he had (also possibly his kids) at a Fan Day at Training grounds. Poor reception from CR and players who couldn't be bothering interacting with supporters and their kids. As far as I'm concerned most of them can piss off. I exclude of course the young players and Kamau, Margush. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...