Football Media Discussion 3 (Goodbye Foxtel, Hello Paramount+)

40 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

So hearing Simon Hill on commentary

Did i detect tension between Hill and Harper? 

I don't think so. May be a bit of rustiness on Hill's end TBH sounded like they were having fun by the end of the game.

10play are showing all AWCQ live, and have replays of each game..

On 10 news last night they ran a fair bit on the Socceroo's and the discussed the expansion of the W-L, and explained the changes coming to the W-L finals format, and had a little of Danny Townsend talking.

Never ever, even SBS, has a commercial broadcaster, or any media organization,  shown this much respect for Australia professional Football and our national teams. Further promoted and put money behind Australia professional Football.

WE need IMO to support 10 as best we can.... 

3 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

WE need IMO to support 10 as best we can

Yes but take exception to their supposed reality TV shows.

Their weekend News has one of the best in Chris Bath.

OK people I need a bit of advice here as I'm not an expert in this area......I have a smart TV and Chromecast and recently purchased my Paramount+ subscription.....so what's the best method to show Paramount+ stuff on my smart TV?

8 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

OK people I need a bit of advice here as I'm not an expert in this area......I have a smart TV and Chromecast and recently purchased my Paramount+ subscription.....so what's the best method to show Paramount+ stuff on my smart TV?

Chromecast mirrors what's on an Android Phone or Tablet, so you will need to install the 10 play & paramount plus apps on your phone/tablet. Once you open up the app on the phone, it will give you an option to cast it to the chromecast.

If the TV is based on Android TV then you can just install it directly onto the tv.

Remember you can watch all AWCQ matches live on 10play… but watch the Socceroo’s on 10.

You can also go back and watch replays of all matches on 10play.

WE have never had this before…

https://10play.com.au/afc-asian-qualifiers-road-to-qatar/articles/afc-asian-qualifiers-road-to-qatar-fixtures/tpa210825yedsq

Has Slater appeared anywhere or is he still drinking late’s  with Corica after training at Bondi , I think being a DHead has caught up with him 

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

Has Slater appeared anywhere or is he still drinking late’s  with Corica after training at Bondi , I think being a DHead has caught up with him 

I've seen him on some betting agent ads.

The more I think about it, I’m not feeling very optimistic about football coverage in Australia going forward. It’s spread way too thin for a sport that is far from being the mainstream in a very competitive marketplace.

Premier League - Optus (free with plan or from $14.99/month)

Champions League - Stan (from $20/month)

A-League - Paramount (from $7/month)

Rest of Europe - Bein/Kayo (from $25/month)

Lets say the average person already has Optus Sport as part of their phone plan, chances are you’re still looking at around $40-60/month to watch a handful of competitions; some of which aren’t even played on a weekly basis. That’s a huge outlay for such a finite amount of content, on top of other entertainment and streaming services. 

I’ve spoken to several people who will regularly watch multiple A-League games per round (most of whom are club members too). None of them have any intention of subscribing to Paramount. They’re disappointed but are settling for the FTA game each week. I’m sure these people aren’t alone. 

Unfortunately I feel as though the one league that will suffer the most out of all of this streaming competition is the A-League given it’s still has a very niche following. I didn’t like what Fox were doing to us but you can’t deny it made things easier from a product perspective.

25 minutes ago, hughsey said:

The more I think about it, I’m not feeling very optimistic about football coverage in Australia going forward. It’s spread way too thin for a sport that is far from being the mainstream in a very competitive marketplace.

Lets say the average person already has Optus Sport as part of their phone plan, chances are you’re still looking at around $40-60/month to watch a handful of competitions; some of which aren’t even played on a weekly basis. That’s a huge outlay for such a finite amount of content, on top of other entertainment and streaming services. 

I’ve spoken to several people who will regularly watch multiple A-League games per round (most of whom are club members too). None of them have any intention of subscribing to Paramount. They’re disappointed but are settling for the FTA game each week. I’m sure these people aren’t alone. 

Unfortunately I feel as though the one league that will suffer the most out of all of this streaming competition is the A-League given it’s still has a very niche following. I didn’t like what Fox were doing to us but you can’t deny it made things easier from a product perspective.

Me and my mate are going halves and sharing the Paramount subscription. I think 3 people can use it at once. Very good option to save money, so hopefully a lot of people consider that. 

I think Optus will give up the EPL rights and look to exit the market (probably after the WC 2022, if they don't on-sell their rights to leave early) and Paramount & Stan will be the two companies trying to buy them. Which will concentrate the market.

4 hours ago, hughsey said:

Good for those who only watch A-League though!

1 minute ago, Carns said:

Why do you think they'll leave?

I think the EPL rights will cost too much for them to want to retain. 

Also I made a mistake, they don't have the rights to the 2022 World Cup, those are held by SBS and haven't been on-sold yet.

If/When they lose the EPL the only rights deals they have are the J-League until 2023, the Women's Euros in 2022 and the Women's World Cup in 2023. I'm not sure the management will tolerate spending the money required to keep Optus Sport running, especially once the WWC 2023 is done with.

Funny story about Optus I signed up just for the World Cup last time and then the debacle with their streaming (sure some of you remembered)  I rung up and complained and said I’m cancelling they apologised and said no worries but we will at least leave your active subscription until World Cup ends 

some what 3 years on it’s still active lol 😂 I was spewing they didn’t get A-League 

I still only have Foxtel but now A-League is gone I’m thinking of canning it but then again it means I’ll have to get all the steaming services and update the internet at home so still tossing up 

I think I’ll try and see what illegal streams come for A-League and see how good they are 

7 hours ago, Carns said:

Why do you think they'll leave?

Optus Sport was nothing more than an opportunist marketing move to draw customers to Optus’ core product, by taking advantage of the fact there were no proper sport streaming services at the time - which is crazy when you consider it was 2016. Fox Sports’ complacency with the EPL rights made that the perfect target for Optus to land a big fish for a bargain. They picked up the UCL rights in a similar manner and you could argue they got the WC rights similarly because that was around the time SBS’s funding/strategy was beginning to change.

I don’t think it’s ever been Optus’ intention for Optus Sport to be anything more than a marketing tactic. They’ve been strategic/lucky in securing content without much competition. Now that the sport streaming market is getting competitive, as Mack said they aren’t going to get into bidding wars for content as the cost would no longer be worth the return under their format. The market is too established now for Optus Sport to exist just as a marketing strategy. Losing the UCL rights probably killed any plans (if there ever were any) to turn Optus Sport into a proper broadcasting network like Fox Sports.

I agree with Mack that after this EPL season they will either scale their production right back and finish off their existing rights, or they will just call it quits altogether. Which is crazy when you think that Optus Sport will go down as the pioneer of exclusive sport streaming in Australia.

12 hours ago, GE942150 said:

Me and my mate are going halves and sharing the Paramount subscription. I think 3 people can use it at once. Very good option to save money, so hopefully a lot of people consider that. 

Has this actually been confirmed by Paramount+ Australia though? When I activated my code and created an account I had a look round but didn’t see an option to create multiple profiles. 

It’s only the American Paramount+ FAQ’s that say anything about multiple streams. Nothing came up when I typed it into the AU version. 

Theres a few Aussie media articles that mention multiple streams but some say it’s 2 and others say it’s 3.

3 hours ago, hughsey said:

Has this actually been confirmed by Paramount+ Australia though? When I activated my code and created an account I had a look round but didn’t see an option to create multiple profiles. 

It’s only the American Paramount+ FAQ’s that say anything about multiple streams. Nothing came up when I typed it into the AU version. 

Theres a few Aussie media articles that mention multiple streams but some say it’s 2 and others say it’s 3.

We don't have multiple profiles. We are using the same account.

On 08/09/2021 at 9:43 PM, GunnerWanderer said:

Funny story about Optus I signed up just for the World Cup last time and then the debacle with their streaming (sure some of you remembered)  I rung up and complained and said I’m cancelling they apologised and said no worries but we will at least leave your active subscription until World Cup ends 

some what 3 years on it’s still active lol 😂 I was spewing they didn’t get A-League 

I still only have Foxtel but now A-League is gone I’m thinking of canning it but then again it means I’ll have to get all the steaming services and update the internet at home so still tossing up 

I think I’ll try and see what illegal streams come for A-League and see how good they are 

I had a similar experience. They had their apology offer for people who they screwed at the 2018 World Cup where they would give customers a free Fetch mini box. The next time I was at the shops I wandered into an Optus store and asked them about it. Walked out with the box and a years free Optus Sport. That allowed me to continue using it on my phone, iPad, etc. and the Fetch box for using it on my tv. Instead of one year I ended up getting two for free before it told me the subscription ended and it stopped working on the apps. The Fetch box still works fine though, and every month I get an invoice from Optus for $0.

****en hell. I had the free fetch box and they made me return it! Or at least... they told me I'd have to pay if I kept it, so I sent it back. Dammit. That thing would have been useful.

Apparently there's glitch in the Apple Subscriptions for Paramount+ where you can sign up for a monthly trial and then go into Apple Subscriptions and get a year for $5.99.