Football Media Discussion 3 (Goodbye Foxtel, Hello Paramount+)

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

It's not just his grammar, nor sentence construction. His insight into the game is very poor. Imo.

Yep it's that. 

15 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. 

:good:

I'm sure you'll have plenty in agreement with you.

:):)

I don't have strong preferences for who they get to lead their coverage but I just hope they're good

I think it's a great opportunity to refresh the coverage, get more women on board, and maybe get some retired Socceroos out to lead coverage. For instance, in the few times I watched the Big Bash, I think Ricky Ponting gave a respectable tone to the coverage. He is a former Australian cricket captain and people respect and listen to what he says.

For the same reason, I wouldn't mind Craig Foster there because of his history with the game and he's apparently a regular on Channel 10 anyway due to #SaveHakeem

From what I recall reading places, he was supposed to be the next Johnny Warren style of person who led the SBS coverage with Les Murray.

2 minutes ago, Carns said:

Isn't Archie an alleged wife basher?

He's also an anti vaxxer but that's not a criminal offence.

Don't know, Carns.

6 hours ago, wendybr said:

I don't disagree with that. Too intense and serious, probably.

I'll be sorry to lose most of the Foxtel people.

I have no problem with any of them, nth.

He's ace

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Sorry WB, but I can't see how someone of his long A League playing experience, goal scoring prowess, and knowledge of numerous players,  whom he has played with, and personally knows (particularly re Victorian players) can be seen as ignorant.

He once lacked confidence, and bumbled along...for sure. But not recently

Apart from a grammar error or two ( no worse than Bozza, to be honest) he has become surprisingly articulate.

It was actually a topic of conversation here during a recent game....how Archie was surprisingly articulate now that he has gained more confidence. Not flawless. Not in the same league as Harps :lol:, but perfectly able to string a few sentences together.

jesus wept he's terrible

If Paramount + is going to work I think there needs to be more than just a 1 hour review/highlights program once a week. Fox Footy/League have an array of programs that cover the game from different perspectives and degrees of seriousness which is a big reason why they do so well. It keeps that engagement from Monday-Thursday. 

In such a crowded market I don’t think games alone are enough for the aleague to attract enough eyeballs. If you’re making them sign up to yet another service I think there needs to be more offerings too. Will be interesting to see what they come up with. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I don't have strong preferences for who they get to lead their coverage but I just hope they're good

I think it's a great opportunity to refresh the coverage, get more women on board, and maybe get some retired Socceroos out to lead coverage. For instance, in the few times I watched the Big Bash, I think Ricky Ponting gave a respectable tone to the coverage. He is a former Australian cricket captain and people respect and listen to what he says.

For the same reason, I wouldn't mind Craig Foster there because of his history with the game and he's apparently a regular on Channel 10 anyway due to #SaveHakeem

From what I recall reading places, he was supposed to be the next Johnny Warren style of person who led the SBS coverage with Les Murray.

Yeah Ponting is a good example and it'd be good to find a football equivalent of that kind of person for future A-League coverage. He's not just there for banter with the boys, he actually provides analysis and insight. While part of the reason he's there is his personality, his real value is the decades of playing the game at the top level and the knowledge he can share.

Sticking with the cricket, I remember an interview with Richie Benaud and he was asked what he thought made him a successful commentator. He said that you shouldn't underestimate the viewer and that they understand what's happening in front of them, so a good commentator doesn't just describe what everyone's looking at. A good commentator needs to build on what the viewer is looking at.

Edited by Davo

Yep. That, and knowing when to STFU.

I was trying to think this morning of some likely candidates for that expert insider commentary. Trouble is with our sport I think those kind of people tend to be more interested in coaching and management, and can find a place in that more readily.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

If Paramount + is going to work I think there needs to be more than just a 1 hour review/highlights program once a week. Fox Footy/League have an array of programs that cover the game from different perspectives and degrees of seriousness which is a big reason why they do so well. It keeps that engagement from Monday-Thursday. 

In such a crowded market I don’t think games alone are enough for the aleague to attract enough eyeballs. If you’re making them sign up to yet another service I think there needs to be more offerings too. Will be interesting to see what they come up with. 

There's a lot of laughs in the Foxtel show "The Back Page". I'd like to see a football focussed version that is largely A league based, but with some international content too to provide variety. It couldn't be called the back page though because we are never on it. Perhaps "Ten Pages In from the Back" would be appropriate.

17 minutes ago, marron said:

Yep. That, and knowing when to STFU.

I was trying to think this morning of some likely candidates for that expert insider commentary. Trouble is with our sport I think those kind of people tend to be more interested in coaching and management, and can find a place in that more readily.

Ned

The lighthearted football show needs to be Santo, Sam and Ed. They've proven they can do it before and are already affiliated with Ten. It's a no brainer.

I think Mack was right that guys like Cornthwaite are good at expert commentary. He's maybe not the biggest Australian football name, but he's got international and captaincy experience. I'm sure there are others like him who know the game well and can articulate with a bit of personality.

There needs to be better utilisation of ex players from the aleague era in covering the game. It’s never been done well. Legends like Bridge, Covic, Brosque etc are what build familiarity with the audience and people respect their opinions cause they’ve been there and done it. Most guys retire and you never hear from them again which I think is a huge shame and a massively missed opportunity. Compare it to AFL and NRL where they’re paying blokes to take the trash out just cause they once played a few games. Reality is that most of the personalities attached with aleague coverage have had no direct affiliation with the aleague other than commentating. 

Having said that, the lack of media exposure and airtime for the aleague works against players hoping to transition into a tv career. There’s very few, if any, players that regularly speak in the media beyond a couple of generic answers after training or a game. Listening to Kilkenny a few months ago on the sideline for a game was like clawing your ears off, it was awkward af. 

Really gets you thinking who would be the right person to put on the panel or sideline. Honestly Cornthwaite probably one of the better ones currently with Fox. Michael Bridges and Sorensen are good too at Optus. Foster is very good at analysing the game, and was one of the great things when SBS had the A-league and it was refreshing when you compared to the opinions of the Fox panel. Bozza is also good he actually gives extra insight into what is happening and stepped up as the sideline commentator. I would even put Craig Moore up there his insights on the Simon Hill podcasts are usually on point.

But your Archies, Jamie Harnwells and that weird time Kilkenny and Maclaren were the sideline reporters its just awkward and cringe at times.

Actually special mention to Daniel Georgesvki. The man has a following when he retires should really look into getting onto a panel.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

There needs to be better utilisation of ex players from the aleague era in covering the game. It’s never been done well. Legends like Bridge, Covic, Brosque etc are what build familiarity with the audience and people respect their opinions cause they’ve been there and done it. Most guys retire and you never hear from them again which I think is a huge shame and a massively missed opportunity. Compare it to AFL and NRL where they’re paying blokes to take the trash out just cause they once played a few games. Reality is that most of the personalities attached with aleague coverage have had no direct affiliation with the aleague other than commentating. 

Having said that, the lack of media exposure and airtime for the aleague works against players hoping to transition into a tv career. There’s very few, if any, players that regularly speak in the media beyond a couple of generic answers after training or a game. Listening to Kilkenny a few months ago on the sideline for a game was like clawing your ears off, it was awkward af. 

I know he is ex ESFC scum but Brosque talked plenty of sense in the past and would be streets ahead of Archie.

5 hours ago, Davo said:

Sticking with the cricket, I remember an interview with Richie Benaud and he was asked what he thought made him a successful commentator. He said that you shouldn't underestimate the viewer and that they understand what's happening in front of them, so a good commentator doesn't just describe what everyone's looking at. A good commentator needs to build on what the viewer is looking at.

I remember he also said something about how saying less is more, something he was an expert at. Something Archie could probably learn from lol

36 minutes ago, matty said:

I remember he also said something about how saying less is more, something he was an expert at. Something Archie could probably learn from lol

Archie parks on a slope, puts it in neutral, releases the brake, starts rolling  - and then turns on the engine, while looking down and trying to put it into gear.

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Archie parks on a slope, puts it in neutral, releases the brake, starts rolling  - and then turns on the engine, while looking down and trying to put it into gear.

Listening to Archie is like listening to that random drunk bloke down the pub who sits watching the game on their own making random statements to themselves and anyone unlucky enough to be sat near them.

39 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Now surely that bloke got all his idea's for that story from this forum. 

It wasn't very objective, was it?

He did say Archie has cred.

:lol::lol:

Well, the jury have made their decision. The judge has decided that it doesn't need to be a complete decision by the jury.

* WSF - All agreed that Archie Thompson should not be a part of any future coverage. - Infinity and Beyond.

* Wendybr + 1 for Archie Thompson. 

Jury dismissed. 

Archie, you are hereby sentenced to as many years as possible of not commentating on football in Australia.

Porridge title.jpg