Football Media Discussion 3 (Goodbye Foxtel, Hello Paramount+)

9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I don’t know let’s 

touch base on this, we can take a helicopter view to best identify synergies, and ensure we have right go forward approach to balance our strategic customer experience goals, while addressing low hanging fruit...

But be careful not to slip between the cracks....

9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I don’t know let’s 

touch base on this, we can take a helicopter view to best identify synergies, and ensure we have right go forward approach to balance our strategic customer experience goals, while addressing low hanging fruit...

I like your thinking Stringer, let's run your ideas up the flag pole and see who salutes...

I think the first 10 years Foxtel did a fantastic job and then right around the EPL rights being lost everything just started to go against the league such as the Wilson article, the FFA civil war and the new streaming services started to come in they slowly started to drop the ball on the A-league. I mean what we have now with Foxtel is the literal minimum support. I think everyone can see that in the last 3 or 4 years Foxtel has gradually been withdrawing its support. It only came back to have some summer content but the coverage is not what it once was.

7 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

You’re not alone 👍

despite what people think of fox they supported the game for 15 years ploughing hundred of millions into the game. Particularly when the league started and no one supported it they did and despite what many others think the $60 mil they paid per season last deal was clearly at the top end of value and now it’s effectively cut in half.

The main issue most have is that it appears to me and others; over last 2 years fox appeared to sabotage the code at times I guess to lower the rights value - they basically just covered the lives games and that was it nothing more. 

Both parties should just shake hands and say thanks for the 15 years and move on, reality is people like speedy slater and peacock are well paid and will find others gigs easily. If not stay with Fox in other capacity. 

There will be probably be 100’s behind the scenes that lose their jobs and might not find similar paying jobs so easily - there is nothing to celebrate about that. People with families and mortgages to pay. 

I agree about the individuals, I really liked the Fox football team and enjoyed their contributions to the coverage. I feel sorry for those who have and will lose jobs as a result.

Foxtel as a company I have no sympathy or thanks for. They may have poured money into the competition but that’s their business model. We provide the product and they purchase it to make theirs. It’s no different to a builder purchasing materials to make a house. I don’t see why we should be heaping thanks and praise on them for what is a standard piece of business. This attitude is why sports all over the world are getting screwed by broadcasters cause we treat them like they’re life changing charities. The CEO of Fox Sports has such little respect left for football/aleague that he was willing to sacrifice their desires/need for summer content by throwing us a piss take low ball offer. He even admitted it in a recent interview.   

Fox may have taken us on when we started but they’re also the reason why we have been/are stuck with useless expansion teams like GC United and Western United. The legacy (if you’d call it that) they leave on the aleague is one of stunted growth and overriding control that has done nothing but further demote the code even lower down the pecking order. I say thanks for nothing and good riddance. 

Fox are dying and will not survive with NRL and AFL alone. To call themselves Australia’s Sports Leader without having a single piece of in-house produced football or basketball (two of the worlds biggest sports) content is a laugh. If Bein and ESPN pulled their fingers out and actually pushed their standalone services more and broke away, Fox would be screwed particularly over summer. 

12 minutes ago, hughsey said:

The CEO of Fox Sports has such little respect left for football/aleague that he was willing to sacrifice their desires/need for summer content by throwing us a piss take low ball offer. He even admitted it in a recent interview.

Agree with all your comments, but curious where he gave the interview where he admitted this?

13 minutes ago, Carns said:

Agree with all your comments, but curious where he gave the interview where he admitted this?

It was in one of the articles about the rights in the last week or so. It was a quote from him saying they wanted to keep us on board as they needed summer content but they basically wouldn’t budge on their offer. 

Beside first couple of years of the aleague, I don't really think we need to thanks fox to much for their money.  They clearly thought it was worth the cost.  They weren't being forced to pay money against their will.  As soon as they didn't think it was worth it, the quality of their coverage collapsed.

Edited by T1m
1 hour ago, marron said:

Just catching up on sokkah twitter today and I'm hoping that whoever else paramount get Frank Brunoskevic is part of the team.

That story just kept getting better as it unfolded.

Optus Sport secures media rights to Australia and New Zealand’s biggest international football tournament ever - the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™

04 June 2021, 08:00 AM

Optus the only place to watch all 64 matches live!

In what will be a defining tournament in women’s sport in Australia, Optus Sport has been awarded the Australian media rights to the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ - which will be one of the biggest sporting events in Australia since the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. 

The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™, to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand, comprises 32 teams, with the first match kicking off at Auckland’s Eden Park on 20 July 2023, and concluding with the final played at Sydney’s Stadium Australia.

Commenting on the tournament, Optus Chief Executive Kelly Bayer Rosmarin said, “We are delighted to not only support the most exciting women’s sporting event in the world, hosted right here on our home soil, but also to demonstrate our unwavering commitment to growing women’s sport in this country.”

“This is truly a unique opportunity for Australians to stand behind our world leading Matildas and enjoy every action-packed moment of the tournament.”

Optus Sport will stream all 64 World Cup matches live and produce programming, highlights and other digital content to provide Australians with the most comprehensive coverage ever of a FIFA Women’s World Cup. 

Ms Bayer Rosmarin said with interest in women’s football and the Matildas growing significantly in Australia, the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 would be one of the largest and most unifying events since the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

“We are passionate about bringing the Matildas and the other 31 participating teams to as many Australians as possible.”

Optus Vice President TV, Content and Product Development, Clive Dickens, said women’s football is a core element of Optus Sport’s elite football offering, and would result in unprecedented coverage that would draw even more Australian fans to women’s football.

“We have built an unparalleled pedigree in enhancing and supporting women’s football and building unique customer relationships with football fans, from the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 in France to being amongst the first broadcasters of the Barclay’s FA Women’s Super League, to recently securing the exclusive rights to the UEFA Women’s EURO 2022 in England.”

“The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 represents a huge opportunity to help drive growth and visibility of women’s football in Australia and deliver football fans the best-ever coverage.

“We are committed to changing the future children see and the importance of promoting women in sport to drive that change. It is a privilege, and an endorsement of our credentials by FIFA, to be awarded the rights to showcase this monumental event,” Mr Dickens said.

Sarai Bareman, Chief Women’s Football Officer, FIFA said, “FIFA is excited to welcome Optus Sport as our official broadcaster of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ for Australia. Optus has shown a strong commitment to broadcasting women’s football and this deal will provide unprecedented coverage in Australia for the tournament, as well as bringing women’s football to more fans and new audiences. We look forward to working with Optus to promote the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 to accelerate the growth of the women’s game in Australia in the lead up to 2023.”

One of Australia’s most capped representative football players and ex-Matilda Heather Garriock said, “The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 is not just a football tournament, it’s one of the world’s biggest events and to host it in Australia and New Zealand is a dream come true. Young boys and girls, mums and dads will get the chance to see their role models – the Matildas – who are amongst the best players in the world.”

Optus will provide further details of its broadcast plans, commentary team and other innovations relating to the tournament closer to the event including plans to co-broadcast key matches on free-to-air television – including all Matildas matches.

Optus Sport customers will be able to access:

All 64 games of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ live and on demand

Preview and review shows produced and delivered live by Optus Sport

All games available for streaming to home TVs or on-the-go on devices through the Optus Sport app.

The Optus Sport team is gearing up for a month-long smorgasbord of exclusive international football including the world’s second biggest football tournament, the UEFA EURO 2020™, which starts on Saturday, June 12 and the Copa América 2021, which begins Monday June 14.

Optus Sport continues to connect passionate football fans with the game they love with more than 880,000 active subscribers.

About the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™

The FIFA Women’s World Cup has taken place eight times in six different countries.  The 2023 edition of the tournament will be the first-ever co-hosted FIFA Women’s World Cup and the first-ever edition to be hosted across two confederations. 

The FIFA Women’s World Cup™ is the single biggest women’s sporting event in the world with more fans than any other. The 2023 edition will be played from 20 July to 20 August 2023.

The 2023 tournament will feature 32 teams for the first time, up from 24 in 2019.  The USA are the defending champions having won both the 2015 and 2019 tournaments.

Nine Host Cities and 10 stadia across Australia and New Zealand will host matches during the tournament. Eden Park in Auckland will host the opening match of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ and Stadium Australia in Sydney will host the Final. 

The 9 Host Cities and 10 stadiums for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 are:

•     Adelaide – Hindmarsh Stadium

•     Auckland / Tāmaki Makaurau – Eden Park

•     Brisbane – Brisbane Stadium

•     Dunedin / Ōtepoti – Dunedin Stadium

•     Hamilton / Kirikiriroa – Waikato Stadium

•     Melbourne – Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

•     Perth – Perth Rectangular Stadium

•     Sydney – Stadium Australia and Sydney Football Stadium

•     Wellington / Te Whanganui-a-Tara – Wellington Stadium

15 hours ago, alexd said:

Don't forget that we only have FOXTEL to blame (and the weaker FFA to play along with) for Western United and Macarthur, when it clearly could have gone to much more worthy bids based on location, history, local support/grassroots, best prospects for the future instead of merely KPIs.

Well actually Foxtel wanted Team 11 over Western United. But no doubt it influence the decision because they favoured a Sydney and Melbourne team over Canberra

On 01/06/2021 at 10:27 AM, marron said:

"Between Racing and Hockey"

I'd love to see the day when hockey is next to football or even racing. We're lucky to get in the paper at all :( 

Believe me, I try...

A lot of sports in this country deserve much better treatment in the media. Football, hockey, basketball, netball, baseball etc. all produce multiple successful teams and talented athletes that compete on an international basis alongside some of the best in the world, but we're relegated to the back of the sports section if we're lucky to be there in the first place.  

It's a vicious circle, they say no one is interested or viewership is low so they don't give us coverage, but without the coverage no one knows or watches. I think it's a convenient excuse. Hopefully with Ten and Paramount invested in the APL, they now have a vested interest to make it work. Might pave the way for other sports to get a decent broadcast deal via streaming. 

On 04/06/2021 at 1:56 PM, CaptainJess said:

I'd love to see the day when hockey is next to football or even racing. We're lucky to get in the paper at all :( 

Believe me, I try...

A lot of sports in this country deserve much better treatment in the media. Football, hockey, basketball, netball, baseball etc. all produce multiple successful teams and talented athletes that compete on an international basis alongside some of the best in the world, but we're relegated to the back of the sports section if we're lucky to be there in the first place.  

It's a vicious circle, they say no one is interested or viewership is low so they don't give us coverage, but without the coverage no one knows or watches. I think it's a convenient excuse. Hopefully with Ten and Paramount invested in the APL, they now have a vested interest to make it work. Might pave the way for other sports to get a decent broadcast deal via streaming. 

Hockey lives on the interest in generates at the Olympics, it really does. When the UK women’s team won gold at the last Olympics by beating I think the Dutch it went MASSIVE in the UK. Hockey was in all news everywhere, small competitions were broadcast and player numbers were up and they did their best to capitalise on that. Don’t know how good Australia’s hockey teams are these days but I am guessing if they are successful at the Olympics that your workload would sky rocket over night, then it’s over to your side about how you keep that rolling and maximise on it. 

I am guessing a lot of your strategy work would be around a successful Olympics at the min. Especially so the women’s team.

Edited by Smoggy
7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Hockey lives on the interest in generates at the Olympics, it really does. When the UK women’s team won gold at the last Olympics by beating I think the Dutch it went MASSIVE in the UK. Hockey was in all news everywhere, small competitions were broadcast and player numbers were up and they did their best to capitalise on that. Don’t know how good Australia’s hockey teams are these days but I am guessing if they are successful at the Olympics that your workload would sky rocket over night, then it’s over to your side about how you keep that rolling and maximise on it. 

I am guessing a lot of your strategy work would be around a successful Olympics at the min. Especially so the women’s team.

Have they ever thought about playing it on Ice would make it more interesting?

53 minutes ago, DCWSW said:

Buzz reported in yesterday's telegraph that Simon Hill will be at Ch10 next season to commentate on the A-League. No word on any others from Fox as of yet. 

So what cross promotional ops are there? He could present masked singer 

And dressed as a an octopus singing Tom Jones is Carl Robinson 

3 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I have actually wandered why Hockey and Ice Hockey aren't more popular in Australia. Its one of THE sports to watch when the Olympics are on.

The lack of Ice probably has something to do with the second one

It is an ace game to watch, I went to a few Canucks games back when I was a young sans kids world traveller. Ace and in someways close to a football crowd at least in “hockey” towns as opposed to US cities where franchises have been dumped foe the TV market 

Lower league Hockey is ace too. Loads of kids trying to get noticed by smashing the crap out of each other

Incredible skill

Edited by StringerBellend